Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Pirate Doom! [GZDoom pwad] - new map 06/05/14

Memfis said:

:)) Cute sprite edits. Probably even more than in Nordhell.

this for sure. i clicked on this thread being rather skeptical, then i saw the sprites, and, wow, i have to play this.

Sorry for the late reply, been travelin for some days.
Krispy, I answered your pm.

Officer D, your video is very funny, I lol'd a lot watching it. Specially when you imitate the cannibals and the Arch Vile chanting, I had a lot of fun recording those sounds. This kind of video also helps me to fix things like game balance, secrets, bugs... for example when you got lost in MAP09, it was not clear where to go next. I added a trail of armor bonus like the beer way at MAP01, hopefully it will attract players to the right way.

This mod is meant to be fun and something I really don´t want to happen is switch or key hunting.

So, if any of you would like to show demos or videos, specially of your first play through a map (they´re also playable from pistol start), it would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Its a lot of fun, looking forward to the finished version.

Although I did feel bad for the poor Imps dressed up in hats...reminded me of people that put clothes on dogs. :P

marysson said:

Although I did feel bad for the poor Imps dressed up in hats...reminded me of people that put clothes on dogs. :P

I think there will be clothes for everybody... no more demon butts.

I was having a crappy day, but then I saw a pirate cyberdemon and everything got a whole lot better.

Tango said:

hahahah those are beautiful. are they all done?

Right now they look more like bodypaint than like clothing.

Gez said:

I'd say the Baron and Cyberdemon's shirts do, the Imp and Demon pants look good. (Everyone knows Demon pirates wear skintight spandex.)

Darch said:

no more demon butts.

Maes will not like this at all. Glad to see this project is still going and I absolutely adore the clothing looks very fitting but I'd agree the cyberdemon's shirt looks like it was just painted on.

Man, the perfect sprite edit to do, for a sufficiently talented artist, would be to turn the cyberdemon's metal hoof into a stereotypical wooden peg leg. The shape has already been adjusted, but it's still metal and cybernetic.

(Also making the rocket launcher look like an old-fashioned cannon.)

Gez said:

(Also making the rocket launcher look like an old-fashioned cannon.)

haha yes!

I for one think the mancubus should have a red and white striped bandanna over his head and some facial hair to look like a burly cook.

Tango said:

hahahah those are beautiful. are they all done?

hehe thanks! Yes, all frames are done.

Gez said:

Yes I agree, all I did was change the colours. I´ll try to make them look better, but if I can´t, I still prefer these versions to the naked ones. (but I kept the old versions just in case :)

Tha mancubus idea is cool, I´ll see what I can do.

About the cyberdemon, it would be great to have an old fashioned cannon and a wooden leg, but I don´t have a reource for those and it´s too much work to ask someone else to do. But at least it shoots cannon balls instead of rockets :)

Gez said:

I think you wouldn't notice it ingame. In still sprites you can tell it's only a colour change, but when you run around and try to avoid projectiles it's hard to notice. I thought that hat sprites wouldn't fit those imps when I saw them in screenshots, but they turned out good.

Also, will the Cyberdemon's cannonballs act like those in "Battleships"?
Because monsters can have some troubles aiming with falling projectiles.

Sorry for this delay, I was waiting till I had a download link of the new version to reply.

Here it is, 10 map version:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/eWWu5KALZ8/piratedoomv1.0.pk3

gameplay video of new map:
MAP 10 "Where Evil Pirates Fall"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noVI7a7P31Q

I also updated first post with some screenshots.

sawd said:

Also, will the Cyberdemon's cannonballs act like those in "Battleships"?
Because monsters can have some troubles aiming with falling projectiles.

It´s just a graphic replacement, you´re right, it can´t aim falling projectiles (I tried :)

Man, this is so fun! Cacoward winning material easily, I'd say. Doom needs more mods like this and 6 Golden Souls.. I got really immersed in this for about 2 hours straight when I downloaded it. That has not happened to me in years.

This suits exactly what I want from a fun, light hearted Doom mod. I can say this is my favorite mod of 2013 so far without a doubt. In some of the maps, you have too many ambient sound objects near some waterfalls, and it creates a strange robotic "instant echo" that is somewhat loud and distracting, but it is a very, very minor issue. Also, I personally think the hands on the guns look very boney/ugly, but the guns themselves are amazing. Just my 2 cents!

Keep up the really, really awesome work. I freakin' love pirate doom!

Just finished it, this wad is good for ye health! :D I think it's one of the best I've played so far.

The level design was very good, tons of details and all the levels looked great (especially the lost city).

There were a lot of fun little ideas as well - like the freak show (and actually the whole circus level), the bank alarm, the "try your luck" room, the battleships level and many things I forgot.

However the hell level felt a bit rushed and the lost city level was a bit too large and sometimes confusing but overall it's a great wad and definitely worthy of a cacoward.

Very nice work on the sprites too!

(by the way that revenant in the underwater level was a low blow lol)

hehe, thank you very much.

The hell level was supposed to be a "boss level" (only the last room), but I ended up adding more gameplay to it. I felt that after the lost city map it would be nice to have a simple running and gunning level. I´ll add more detail if I can think of something.

I will also add more "clues" in lost city. Did you have trouble to find the yellow card? This kind of feedback helps me a lot.

And the underwater revenant, hehe yes it´s a bit hard, he´s some kind of boss, there´s even an autosave and a boss music for him!

Hey mateys, new Pirate Doom version is out!

download: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/EXywgQfNWt/piratedoomv0.11.pk3

Features:

cartoon ricochets
smoother animations on cutlass and shotguns
player sprites
new map
new monster
new ammo and explosion sprites
par times
all weapons replaced (slots 4 and 6 are beta - feedback wanted!)
crackable glass (including your precious booze - take care!)
new splashes
Everything is credited at credits!.txt

gameplay video of map 11 "Dead Men Tell no Tales":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE4US3Q9uqU

UPDATE: I've played through the first 2 levels and I can't believe how fun this is! AMAZING STUFF!!!

As a fan of the Monkey Island series, I really dig the music and the overall theme, and of course, I really REALLY loved the Melee Island level. Seriously, I can't wait till I get home to keep playing this mod.

Please KEEP up the good work! :D

new version is done, download here:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/K8mrIjzSOs/piratedoomv0.12.pk3

features:

new items:
- torch replacing light googles
- iron boots replacing environment suit
new map
new monster
new sounds (demon, fire, item pick ups)
step sounds for player and demon
Revenant now shoots a parrot bomb

Also, there are two options, play Pirate Doom maps or play other wads with its weapon, monster and item replacements. To make this possible, maps are now numbered 41 to 52, in case someone wants to skip levels.

Here´s a video showing the new map:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqSznVieQsA

When I launch the game and it loads the load stops and says
"Script error, "piratedoom!v0.12.pk3:pirates!.wad:DECORATE" line 4447:
Invalid state parameter a_warp"
I use "gzdoom 1.5.6".

Why does it happens?

You need to update your GZDoom version. Version 1.6 is recomended;
GZdoom 1.7 is out but it crashes on maps with ZMAPINFO fog density. I haven´t seen anyone else reporting this, so maybe it´s my machine.

Ahoy, here´s another version of Pirate Doom!

download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9tldkyczjjb7kfr

features:
- new map
- new weapon (minicannon)
- three new monsters!
- a dash move that will make you feel like a true ninja, I mean, pirate!

All weapons and monsters are now covered, can this be considered a TC? Still uses stock sprites, sounds and some textures.

The dash move is performed by pressing alt fire while holding the cutlass (slot 1). Combine it with berserk (spinach) and keep it pressed to run at the speed of light.
This move still needs some adjustments, it´s probably overpowered right now.

This is the new map, Grog Factory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVxigG20tZE