Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Is the wall lighting gradiented? Looks darker at the top and bottom than in the middle.

Linguica said:

messing around with the source code a little (note wall lighting)

Quoting so others can see on this page~

That looks awesome o: Any idea how that kind of thing would look in newer ports too?

Linguica said:

messing around with the source code a little (note wall lighting)

There's some constraining trick in it, right? Like that it will only work on 128 tall walls on a flat level, or something like that? I suppose that it would be impossible to make such a code work in all wads (and look any good), and I suspect that what we see here is a fixed dim according to a height level.

Linguica: Cool, I thought I'd try to have some light fades on walls. No idea if I have the skills to do it...

I tried a new palette with more colors/fewer shades, but maybe it kinda sucked when it was dark. Toned down the overbrightness. Tried some palette effect for the IR/Night vision. Also now it uses the extralight effect, but maybe that's not going to work in multiplayer? Is the extralight visible to one player or everyone?

Joe667 said:

You've somehow managed to make a blend of such contrasting colours as red and green look beautiful together - awesome! :D

Not even a surprise, red and green are color compliments. Did you think the christmas color scheme was an accident? :)

I read somewhere, long ago, that humans can best tell apart many different color shades close to a bluegreen hue. I wonder if that dates back to times when life came from the ocean...

LigH said:

I read somewhere, long ago, that humans can best tell apart many different color shades close to a bluegreen hue. I wonder if that dates back to times when life came from the ocean...

No, it's because the wavelength of bluegreen light is in the middle of our perceivable color spectrum, therefore all 3 types of cone cells are stimulated by it to some extent, and it's the sensitivity peak for rod cells too. With colors on the left and on the right of the spectrum, typically only 1 type of cone cell is stimulated, one less so, and one almost not at all.

Source: Wikipedia: Color Vision

Possibly more interesting here:

And ... wow ... this image was submitted by "BenRG" (Ben Rudiak-Gould, the developer of the original AviSynth frameserver). I am excited! :D

Jimi, the way you're experimenting with color palettes is just awesome!

Also, additional pics for Uplink. Note: all the crates are moving.

LigH, scifista, I think this sky is comparably OK, since it depicts the homogenous infinity of the virtual space you're in. Can't see how a sky texture would be better, but if you can provide something fitting, then I'm open for that. :D

If there is a purpose to obviously display a virtual reality, then an unusual sky makes sense to me easily.

I agree that it needs an unusual sky but still think that a more sky-like texture could be used. That one just screams "look at me, I'm a flat wall with no feel of depth whatsoever!". Maybe wait for btsx3 and steal the this one.

Memfis said:

I agree that it needs an unusual sky but still think that a more sky-like texture could be used. That one just screams "look at me, I'm a flat wall with no feel of depth whatsoever!". Maybe wait for btsx3 and steal the this one.

For me it looks like a placeholder sky, since the map in the screenshot is a e1 map (i think).

KevinHEZ said:

the map in the screenshot is a e1 map (i think).

I don't think so, because I don't remember either the architecture, or those crate textures to appear in BTSX E1. Or am I wrong?

EDIT: Your point about a placeholder sky might be true, though - but all I do is unknowing guessing.

scifista42 said:

I don't think so, because I don't remember either the architecture, or those crate textures to appear in BTSX E1. Or am I wrong?

EDIT: Your point about a placeholder sky might be true, though - but all I do is unknowing guessing.

It's from e1, and it is MAP12: Underground Initiations

http://i.imgur.com/eIYZm2E.png

Katamori: You could try mixing/overlaying compblue, tekwall4 with some of the sky textures, or something like that.

Xaser: Nice uhh.. building, didn't make me feel like it had anything to do with Satan. I thought the crosses looked like swords.. and the coloring of the building/scene makes me think of the berserk pack. So I think it's some kind of extreme medical facility.

It seems I've stopped seeing inverted symbols as signs of evil. If I stand on my hands, then it's no longer inverted, or if I tilt my head sideways. Is there some universal XYZ? You'd have to invert the symbol on the universal Z axis in a device that keeps it inverted on that axis even if the planet/whatever spin around its local axis and the sun, etc.

scifista42 said:

Oh, so everything in the picture was a placeholder, or got replaced! I was wrong, then.

Well, not quite everything, but Travers did modify Underground Initiations quite a bit in the time between the first screenshot and the public release. (And continued to do so even after that! :P)

It was originally designed with E3's darker purple sky in mind, but conceptually it was best suited to the first episode.

And yeah, the old E3 "purple/blue techwall recolor" sky was a placeholder that's since been replaced. It's still purple and techy though!

Interesting, another Doom alpha/bible attempt? What engine are you running it on?

That screen I posted earlier was nothing more than a rough concept piece for a HUD, I don't really have any intentions of starting a new TC of that sort any time soon. I'd like to but there are two other games that need my attention these days regarding their development.

Guest Unregistered account

I always thought the Doom Alphas had an extremely cool atmosphere, at least the first time I saw them (here)

Nice work!

Serious_MOod: 2nd shot is pretty interesting with stuff at different heights.

I made some colored light stuff, but it kinda sucks. At the moment the different colors are all in the same colormap. Nukage has some "glow" and is unaffected by light color. Also improved the palette.

Looking pretty good, stewboy. I love the blue lights and whatnot - they give it a little contrast.