Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

lupinx-Kassman said:

I started work for this back in 2011, but it kinda fell by the wayside (though the squiggly pueblo map was released on the archive inside of rccol02.wad).

http://i.imgur.com/knRvHmv.gif
http://i.imgur.com/P3pkAgR.gif

Though the theme has a long ways to go, I regained interest recently and will attempt to go for theme that appears as if the maps are constantly being redrawin in crayon. At the moment this theme requires quite a bit of hackery :P

that is freakin beautiful!

Looks good, Super! It must take forever to align all those textures on all those side/linedefs! :)

One press or several presses of "Autoalign" button in DB2/GZDB, I suppose. And I see misalignments anyway.

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

http://puu.sh/iUOPS/e2e47ead07.jpg
Old/to be deleted areas of Chaos Theory
Will probably make something like the mountain area again and also add some of the old areas (some not shown here) in a secret area.

Assuming that "Hi!" on the unreachable part of the map is an easter egg of some sort you have blown it already by showing it here.

scifista42 said:

One press or several presses of "Autoalign" button in DB2/GZDB, I suppose. And I see misalignments anyway.

Ahhh, it's not quite that simple judging by the look of those screenshots. Sure you can autoalign to a degree, but in this case, there's obviously a lot of hard, manual work behind all those painstakingly precise alignments on that myriad of textures. Especially on the two bottom screenshots.

Chris Hansen said:

Ahhh, it's not quite that simple judging by the look of those screenshots. Sure you can autoalign to a degree, but in this case, there's obviously a lot of hard, manual work behind all those painstakingly precise alignments on that myriad of textures. Especially on the two bottom screenshots.

I'm not so sure. Apart the support3 texture (or is it a custom one?) I think you can do everything with the autoalign...

@molten_: Unfortunately, I would say that it's downright eye-unpleasant this way. Both "sharp color changes" and "random outstanding pixels" add to that.

I think it looks good. I'm not sure how great it would look as the play interacted with each part of the coast. But you have a great color scheme, no need to think twice about that.

well that pic is from chocolate doom, so some garbage pixelation from the distance is unavoidable. It would probably look much better on something like zdoom but I personally love the pixelated style :P it reminds me of starfox and the superfx chip

@TheCupboard: it's funny you say that because it uses the same palette as doom 2 haha

I'm not talking about your palette, although I suppose I am, indirectly. I think the textures you chose are working together quite usefully. Get some sprites in there to do the heavy lifting for you. ;)

molten_ said:

some garbage pixelation from the distance is unavoidable. It would probably look much better on something like zdoom

This is not what I was talking about. Pixelated style is all good with me, but random single pixels on a different background are distracting, as well as color transitions between 2 different colors on a single surface forth and back and forth and back. You get the idea. The sky itself looks OK with your art style in mind. The grey rock wall is also somewhat acceptable. But the waterfall, sea, soil and grass are a little harder on my eyes. I'm usually able to accustomize to it while playing, it's a noticeable burden to overcome, though - so that's what I wanted to point out.

You're doing good, BaronOfStuff, your visuals look nice and reasonably complex, and I like it. However, I hope the gameplay will provide justification for the rooms being so large (long and wide), otherwise I would recommend downscaling them even more, or alternatively, straying away from your model maps and changing structure in the middle of the open spaces, preferably assymetrically. I vaguely remember that I've told you a similar thing some time ago (the downscaling part).

Tattoo idea. A shopped version of my avatar. The white area is where no ink will be used.

scifista42 said:

You're doing good, BaronOfStuff, your visuals look nice and reasonably complex, and I like it. However, I hope the gameplay will provide justification for the rooms being so large (long and wide).

Eh, for the most part the size does serve enough of a purpose (to avoid fireballs more than anything else). I've already cut down the size of some areas which were nothing but a waste (such as the start room).

All my screenshots are taken with -nomonsters testing, which probably makes everything look more spacious than it actually is during regular play (when a load of hostile shit is trying to kill you).

My print of Kurashiki's awesome Valiant art showed up today. Soooooo cool! Sorry about the potato quality.