Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

dobu gabu maru said:

Holy moly, I love this. I love the lights and lighting, I love that it's a massive underground hellopolis, I love that even though I can see far into the distance there's still lots of stuff obscured in shadows and behind other structures, giving the whole scene a dreamlike air of mystery... the atmosphere completely pulls me in.

I'm very glad to see you returning to blueland, was honestly kind of disappointed you turned the old maps into a DM set, it didn't really work :/

Marcaek said:

I'm very glad to see you returning to blueland, was honestly kind of disappointed you turned the old maps into a DM set, it didn't really work :/

Yeah, I must admit that abusing lots of blue textures was way too garish and eye-hurting for DM wad. But what if I re-texture the old one with ordinary textures? I was thinking about it for a long time.

You could probably keep the blue if it wasnt 100% blue, some contrast is needed to make the edges of your geometry more distinct.

esselfortium said:

Holy moly, I love this.

Thanks! I think one of my favorite things to do is create an area that feels like a "place", invoking the same kind of feelings that I had when I originally played Doom and the levels were more than just simple lines of geometry strung together. That and I'm naturally a sucker for something that has a dreary, bleak atmosphere.

You cruel bastard, putting those bookcases just out of reach of the denizens of hell. The Imps can't sleep without their bedtime story!

Obsidian said:

You cruel bastard, putting those bookcases just out of reach of the denizens of hell. The Imps can't sleep without their bedtime story!

LOL! guess you'll just have to be facing some twacked out Imps suffering seriously terrible insomnia & very pissed off about it by the time the player(s) show up. Put it that way & it sounds like fighting them is going to be about as much of a difference as "Monsters" & "Fast Monsters" for the player.

Mechadon said:

Sorry, that's a Cacodemon-only library.

Actually those bookshelves are for pain elementals since they have actual arms to handle books. Occasionally, the designated imp will pick up books for his friends when all of pain elementals are on vacation. But I doubt he will survive from three arch-vile jumps in a row.

antares031 said:

Actually those bookshelves are for pain elementals since they have actual arms to handle books. Occasionally, the designated imp will pick up books for his friends when all of pain elementals are on vacation. But I doubt he will survive from three arch-vile jumps in a row.

Arch-vile's like; "If someone can't survive my fire spell blasts long enough to grab me a single god dam book while they make it up that high SOON than i am never bringin any of you dead weight sons uh bitches back to life ever again! now WHOS NEXT!?"

lol if you find objects throughout the wad to bring to under the bookshelf & start stacking & building a stair case there out of rocket ammo box crates, bullet boxes & cell batteries until the ground monsters can walk up the stairs to get their precious fuckin books; they will abruptly stop attacking humans everywhere & start forming lines at the stair case so they can each get a turn picking out their book & Earth will be saved because the monsters will have gotten what they wanted ALL along!

Monsters can actually access the books without problem thanks to their infinite verticality. Marines can do that too, but many are a bit too confused by the notion to use it. Still, veterans know that you can press a switch that's buried underground or that's hanging from a very tall ceiling without needing to have it at your eye levels, and picking a book from the bookshelves operates on the same principle.

Gez said:

Monsters can actually access the books without problem thanks to their infinite verticality. Marines can do that too, but many are a bit too confused by the notion to use it. Still, veterans know that you can press a switch that's buried underground or that's hanging from a very tall ceiling without needing to have it at your eye levels, and picking a book from the bookshelves operates on the same principle.

I would figure getting a book would be nothing like hitting a switch but more like getting a box of ammo or picking up any item (which you do have to be at eye level for)

Byeblothingal 1024 said:

I would figure getting a book would be nothing like hitting a switch but more like getting a box of ammo or picking up any item (which you do have to be at eye level for)

That'd be true of book items laying on the sector floor; but these bookshelves are textures sitting on linedefs.

Gez said:

That'd be true of book items laying on the sector floor; but these bookshelves are textures sitting on linedefs.

Oh I see what yer sayin, makes sense. But then what the hell is the Arch-Vile doin booting motherfuckers high enough to try to grab books that only the pain elemental s & cacodemons can currently get? the demons just must not know about that yet then.

Trying to update my map "Painkiller" I made for NDCP2, old map must be around 8 years old. And not one of my best producutions, hence why I'm updating it. But its a challenge to improve on a poorly designed map. Some areas have to go and be replaced. Guess I'm sticking to the Doom 2 atmosphere I have going here. The buidling needs some extra work, and the area needs to be populated and filled with decoration. Just doodling along for now, nothing serious planning as for new projects.

Looking good Ray! Hey, you know what'd look better? A new video on your YouTube channel.

Wow, I love how with just the stock textures and a custom sky you've managed to convey something really intricate and unique with that. It's like some sort of ancient Egyptian world there. Nice work!

Fantastic architecture and texturing there antares! I think it could use a bit more color within the texturing, but that's just my taste.

Thanks for the opinions, guys. :) I'm also happy with the result of custom skybox that I edited with one from Hexen and a photograph of starry space. If anyone is interested to use it, feel free:

Another room finished, looks so much better now. Less detailed as it was, but more pleasant on the eyes. Loving the Doom2 atmosphere I got going here. Funny to see how much my mapping habits have changed over the years. So many "wtf why did I do that" moments while updating this map. Gameplay will be completely overhauled, and I'm trying something new, which I never in all my maps attempted before. Will be interesting or annoy the hell out of players. Meaning to say this map will be a fraggin bastard gameplay wise.

I'm loving the simple elegance of that shot! The extra METAL detail on the windows and pillar adds a lot to the scene without being a distraction.

Perhaps you'd consider changing the MODWALL trim on the ceiling, though? I feel there's a bit of a stylistic clash between it and the rest of the room. You could change the texture to match the trim on the windows and lower the ceiling for an 8-unit lip instead of a 64-unit one to create unity.

Sounds like a recipe for the room to look just like every brick+support room made between ~2001 and whenever that trend subsided in favor of horizonal bars wrapped around arbitrary architecture! I think the solution should default towards making the modwall more a part of the room's proper structure, instead of just a 'brace'.

The floors and ceilings are a bit dull to me (somewhat featureless brown). I really like the outdoors, however. Some color contrast might serve the inside well. But as usual, I'd recommend ignoring all of what anyone says (for this project, at least) and go with your own gut, unless others' opinions just happen to mirror your own worries. ;)