Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

Doom remake for idtech4

This looks really cool, I'd play this. Keep up the great work! Keep us posted if you would, can't wait to try it.

I admit to wondering what the point of this mod is. We already have Doom. It looks just like this, just without the hideous bump mapping.

A "1993 style remake" isn't a remake. It's "badly porting a game into another engine." Classic Doom 3 is closer to what a proper remake would be like, though I wouldn't blame you if you spiced up the visuals a bit so it wasn't just all Doom 3 metal textures all day long. But the boxy architecture and relatively simplistic texturing of Doom? They were fine in 1993 and they should stay in 1993.

You want to remake an old game in the Doom 3 engine? Finish what Brendan Chung started and remake Pathways Into Darkness. I'd play that.

dethtoll said:

A "1993 style remake" isn't a remake. It's "badly porting a game into another engine." Classic Doom 3 is closer to what a proper remake would be like, though I wouldn't blame you if you spiced up the visuals a bit so it wasn't just all Doom 3 metal textures all day long. But the boxy architecture and relatively simplistic texturing of Doom? They were fine in 1993 and they should stay in 1993.

It's been discussed and they don't care. This is what they want to do, warts and all.

Hell ya! this is looking great guys. I would play this over some shitty remake of some Game I don't know, just my 5 cents. Keep up the great work guys.

I was watching you post each texture you made for what feels like years and always hoped you would convert it to id Tech 4, really glad to see this and its looking better than I thought it would.

As far as the complaints about level design, how the textures work with the geometry and stuff like that I understand the complaints, but I think it would be far wiser to first complete the replication of the textures and maps in the engine and work from there.

I dont think the level design needs to be changed at all, the problem is that certain things look out of place because of the original geometry. Everything in the original is basically flat so the geometry all looks very squared, having perfect edges everywhere. For example on e1m1 the zig-zag walkway over the nukage looks out of place because it just doesnt fit well with the nukage. A way to fix this would be by simply putting wear and tear on the edges of that walkway, as if the nukage was melting the ground. It would make the environment feel much more alive while not changing the design one bit. By replicating the textures and map first you can have a perfect recreation, then use that as a base to edit anything that feels out of place and doesnt look modern.

This project is what I have been waiting for you to start on for awhile and I really hope you dont quit just because some people either dont want it, dont think it will work or lack vision to make it work. You have by far the best HD textures ever made for DOOM and I would hate to see them go to waste over something so stupid. If nothing else do the recreation that you are doing and someone else can touch it up, but it still looks pretty great in its current format regardless.

s13n1 is also doing a DOOM HD project but his textures are nowhere near as faithful as yours. However his weapons are amazing and the only problem with his monsters are that they are so faithful they keep that cartoonish look to them. His Quake monsters are easily the best out. It would be nice to see a collaboration project between you guys and him but everyone wants to do there own thing.

Anyways keep up the amazing work. Reinchard and s13n1 are easily the best at creating HD assets based off the original DOOM and I am glad you have finally moved your textures to a new engine.

Also, those new shots are simply amazing and that fog and lighting goes a very long way towards making it look modern without actually changing anything.

Looking really awesome, looking forward to being able to play it more each time I see it. The colored lighting looks a little intense, but that's a bit of a nitpick - It's honestly hard to tell with experiencing it and moving around in it first hand, but I'm digging this progress :)

Also just gotta say, I'm glad the people responsible for Doomsday and Risen3d, and all the various people who put time into remaking the Doom textures in high-res, and all the other folks involved with anything similar in any way weren't discouraged be the "we already have Doom" clause. There's loads of Doomers out there who love the 1:1 remake, and plenty of Doomers out there who want to make something new and totally fresh. It's best to stick to your passion where it all hinges on a matter of opinion, I find.

Great stuff, keep it up!

Doomkid said:

Also just gotta say, I'm glad the people responsible for Doomsday and Risen3d, and all the various people who put time into remaking the Doom textures in high-res, and all the other folks involved with anything similar in any way weren't discouraged be the "we already have Doom" clause. There's loads of Doomers out there who love the 1:1 remake, and plenty of Doomers out there who want to make something new and totally fresh. It's best to stick to your passion where it all hinges on a matter of opinion, I find.

Great stuff, keep it up!

Yeah, I'm not particularly a fan of 1:1 remakes when new engines can do so much more for the reimagination of the levels (see: Classic Doom 3, Black Mesa Source), but I keep it to myself because it doesn't bother me either way, there's no reason nor good to complain about someone's else desire to mod. I'm just vocally against it when someone try to advocate it commercially.

LkMax said:

I'm just vocally against it when someone try to advocate it commercially.

Now this I agree with. When a big company does it, it's usually to make fresh money off of stale product, even when they have more than enough funds to truly push the envelope.

LkMax said:

Yeah, I'm not particularly a fan of 1:1 remakes when new engines can do so much more for the reimagination of the levels (see: Classic Doom 3...

Classic Doom 3 actually tries way too hard to maintain a lot of the crude and arbitrary architecture of Doom Episode 1. It's not a 1:1 recreation with HD textures, but a lot of it is very awkward and just doesn't work. The devs for that mod hid the similar layouts underneath a layer of decor.

How do you like blood decal with cube map?

Btw I'm out of project now cause Reinchard decided to make everything by himself, but how do you like cube map on floor texture?

Unfortunately texture looks like a gel on vertical look:

I was thinking about smth like in new DOOM 4 where everywhere are env light or cube map post process effects (like in rage, but better) they are dummy reflect lights and other stuff on map. It looks very cool. Many surfaces looks like wet and reflect only lights, like by the jump pads. I can not put screen cause all D4 alpha is under restricted, but I remember it very well :)

Code looks like this:

textures/DOOMHD/floor4_8hd
{
qer_editorimage textures/DOOMHD/floor4_8hd
bumpmap textures/DOOMHD/floor4_8hd_local
diffusemap textures/DOOMHD/floor4_8hd
specularmap textures/DOOMHD/floor4_8hd_s
{
blend gl_dst_alpha, gl_one
maskalpha
cubeMap env/gen1
texgen reflect

}

}

My main issue with the 1:1 remake thing is that you're doing a 1:1 remake of something that's ugly as sin for the purpose of making it look better ... while putting a bunch of extra effort to keep the stuff that makes it ugly as sin.

Stuff like Risen3D gets a pass because it actually still uses a lot of stuff straight from the Doom files, with extra content. This, however, just flat-out replicates stuff from the original Doom ... including the main stuff you'd want to actually look better.

It's just awfully confusing to me. You're putting all these nice assets to increase the visual fidelity of Doom while fully embracing one of the major obstacles of making Doom look a lot better. If that's not shooting yourself in the foot and then feeding yourself to a shark, I'm not sure what is.

Shaviro said:

Take a look at the Black Mesa project.

Half-Life is modern enough to make it a relatively straightforward process. You need skill and imagination for finer details, but you don't have to rethink the basics. With a game like Doom you might want to do just that, unless you're okay with your remake looking like this:

Of course, by some miracle you may actually make it look artful, but I'm not seeing it here yet.

Looks great to me. The lighting makes the atmosphere. I don't care about texture alignment.

Da Werecat said:

Half-Life is modern enough to make it a relatively straightforward process. You need skill and imagination for finer details, but you don't have to rethink the basics. With a game like Doom you might want to do just that, unless you're okay with your remake looking like this:

I have to say, this is a pretty poor example because it's hilariously self-aware.

Sure, it doesn't actually look good but it doesn't really try to, even if someone made that a functional game it would still be for the joke and not for the graphics upgrade.

I think it looks pretty cool man! The haters will actively defend Risen3D and Doomsday, when IMHO they look like shit compared to this.

No offense to anyone that likes them, but either you have high-quality 3D models, or you have id Software quality sprites.

There is no compromise. Plus Risen3D and Doomsday are pretty flat IMHO, and don't feel that great compared to the millions of custom sprites and mods for Doom there are out there. =P

DoomzRules said:

I think it looks pretty cool man! The haters will actively defend Risen3D and Doomsday, when IMHO they look like shit compared to this.

No offense to anyone that likes them, but either you have high-quality 3D models, or you have id Software quality sprites.

There is no compromise. Plus Risen3D and Doomsday are pretty flat IMHO, and don't feel that great compared to the millions of custom sprites and mods for Doom there are out there. =P

To be fair, I was only saying Risen3D gets a pass because all it can do is paint better assets over the shitty-looking levels unless the end user makes them own recreations of the levels to match the assets. These guys literally can't draw upon the original Doom wads, though, so there's no reason for them to not recreate them so they actually match the assets instead of leaving them looking like shit.

By the way, is it just me or the lighting looks off on the alpha shotgun?

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that its normal map is outdated. If you compare the models that didn't change since alpha, you'll notice that their normal maps are slightly different, meaning that they had to be rerendered following some engine changes.

Arctangent said:

I have to say, this is a pretty poor example because it's hilariously self-aware.

I don't see anything wrong with exaggerated examples.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Shit, how much Remakes on idtech4 are we going to get :P .

Saw this and though "hasn't this been done like... 10 times before"