Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Posted (edited)

Blade Runner 2049. Also just caught an old gem on turner classic movies the other night, and it reminded me how much I love diving into classic cinema. It's like stepping back in time and experiencing the art of storytelling from a different era. These guys always has a great choice of films that you might not stumble upon elsewhere. Watching these classics really shows how much movies have evolved over the years but also how the core of good storytelling remains the same.

1photo_bladerunner.jpg

Edited by jasstones7

The Holdovers, really loved it, Giamatti deserves the Oscar I say!

(the most recent watch was Rock of Ages, so-so but with some charm, did also have Paul Giamatti though!)

Appendage (2023)

A freaky thing manifests from the fears and insecurities of this one woman. It turns out this is an actual condition, although the 'twist' was never really explained too well, though it was highly predictable

p25686397_v_h9_aa.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 5:01 PM, wolfmcbeard said:

Stargate, love that movie, kicked of Stargate SG1 that I watched a lot of as a kid, SG Atlantis was alright but SG Universe was total shit.
Either way, Stargate is an awesome movie and if you're looking for a good spin off show, SG1 is pretty good too.

Underrated Comment.

SG-1 is an S-Tier tv show in my opinion, this post needs more than 3 likes.

apologies for my off-topic comment

Dario Argento's Trauma (1993)

So before now I hadn't watched any of his movies past Terror at the Opera, and the latter part of Argento's career isn't considered... great exactly I actually thought this one was really good. It did feel somewhat derivative of Deep Red, but much like that classic movie I have to give him credit for another audacious shot similar to that movie that is blink-and-you'll-miss-it that tells you who exactly the killer is. It was well done and the kind of clever camera work that elevates murder thriller movies. 

The score was a bit more conventional, none of the Goblin prog rock, but it was fine and did the job. Also Brad Dourif makes an entertaining cameo, and I literally thought "Hey that guy just yelled like Brad Dourif" and didn't realise it was him till he was credited at the end as a special appearance. 

Just watched Talk to Me on an edible with my fiance. It scared her so badly we stopped the movie with 3 minutes of runtime left! In some ways it was really cool, but some of the plot beats I felt like I'd seen a million times before. But it was a cool idea executed with verve and excellent sound design and good effects.

Before that we watched Thanksgiving on Netflix -- the slasher movie that takes place on Thanksgiving. We thought it was hilarious and tense and fun. Some really stupid lines delivered perfectly ("We'll all be 50% off," "This year there won't be any leftovers," etc.). I'd love to hear what anyone else thought of these!

On 3/2/2024 at 3:49 AM, jasstones7 said:

Blade Runner 2049

Great movie! I was lucky to see it in theatres. It looks fantastic -- gorgeous, bleak, beautiful.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:20 PM, Carmelo said:

Dune part 2

What a fucking dissappointment 

Haven't seen pt 2, what's your beef with it?

1 hour ago, Bubbabooie said:

Haven't seen pt 2, what's your beef with it?

I'll put it into spoilers in case you are unfamiliar with the book or want to see pt 2 on theaters:

Spoiler

Dune part 2 changes key character traits from Paul, Jessica, Chani and Feyd Rautha. It changes so much they are not even the same characters from the book anymore. Feyd Rautha is a smaller less dumb Rabban. Jessica is now a schemer and manipulator, Chani is given the "strong independent" treatment. Instead of becoming a cunning and terrible prophet that holds back the Fremen to not destroy the whole galaxy, Paul becomes a zealot. 

Alia, one of the most fun characters in Dune, is missing. 

The time skip and events that move the plot towards the war are missing. Paul's rise in power feels rushed. 

The whole reason Paul's ascent works is because he holds the spice hostage and the Spacing Guild and Emperor have not choice but to yield.

In the movie, even though Paul threatens with nuking the spice, the other houses still decide to not accept Paul's ascent to power, rendering the threat of nuking the spice irrelevant. 

As a standalone movie I'd say it's really good, a technical marvel.

As an adaptation of the book however, it deviates too much from the source material, for the sake of progression and modernization if I had to take a guess. This deviation changes core elements from the plot and characters to the point it doesn't feel like Dune anymore, but rather fanfiction territory. 

Dune 2 in IMAX, it was a fucking ride. Maybe my favorite IMAX experience to date. Highly recommend getting in before it's taken out

mirrormask. After I saw part of it on TV back in 2005 and could never find it until now

Posted (edited)

Sicario: Day of the Soldado. It was hard for me to keep track of the movie's events due to the way the scenes were set up. I'm a sucker for military films, so I still like it, though.

Edited by Panzermann11

The Dark Backward. A surreal film starring Bill Paxton, Judd Nelson, and Wayne Newton. It has been described as a blend of John Waters, Terry Gilliam, and David Lynch.  It's about a stand up comic trying to make it in a filthy world.  The plot doesn't really matter, it's all about characters, the world, and the way it all makes you feel.  It's gross, funny, sad, and uplifting. 

If you like Bill Paxton, you MUST see this.  It's his best performance.  He is taking bites out of the scenery.  Pretty sure it's on Tubi right now.

pcb9cvDdjvX0YUUN92EC8rrwMzr.jpg.d6c3e830d3b54802d08deeddcff62f94.jpg

CQ, a film where a film producer in the late 60s starts to become obsessed with his fictional female futuristic spy star

Cqposter.jpg

Mad Max Fury Road. I've been meaning to watch it for ages, and since I want to watch Furiosa when it comes out, I thought that I should probably watch Fury Road so that I know what's going on. 

Coriolanus. I'd describe this movie as "What happens when someone with too much time on Call of Duty, Black Hawk Down and dozens of modern military films and games directs the play".