Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Map themes there aren't enough maps of

Baratus said:

It'd be interesting to see more maps sets in organic-looking outdoor setpieces, such as in mountainsides or forests or misty swamps. Either that or maps set in ruins of ancient civilisations.

Not the easiest thing to render in the DooM engine but it surely can be done. We have a surplus of tech bases and metal textures but not enough natural environments and ancient architecture! Some non-Hell themed ruins would be nice.

Funnily enough I'm working on a misty swamp idea for my next map.

You're right though, natural environments are definitely tricky in the Doom engine.

Void or Dimensional Maps (Cyb's Void. JumpMaze map 27)

Maps that make good use of monster spawners - not necessarily icon maps (hadephobia map 20, shaitan's luck map 30)

i'm a fan of hell maps, so i enjoy more of those. especially DV.

Master O said:

something like ancient Greece

MAP08 and MAP09 of my project are set in ancient Greece, and MAP06-MAP07 have the same theme but with ruins. Bloody Steel MAP07 is a very big map with a greco-roman setting, and it has slaughter gameplay. Cataboom Reloaded is a single map with Roman catacombs, it's quite maze-y and it's made mostly with stock textures.

Bauul said:

You're right though, natural environments are definitely tricky in the Doom engine.

http://i.imgur.com/oDSEf5i.png

Looks great, however I think the vanilla tree sprites clash a bit with the theme.

geo said:

Bridge maps.

I was planning to doing one for NOVA 3, before I changed my mind as I wanted to get going. I realised that the map would have become very linear in its nature, but there are of course a way to remedy that ... such as having houses with switches that flanks the bridge allowing the player to advance a bit further, or making the player jump of the bridge on a little islet to hunt down a key.

Bauul said:

http://i.imgur.com/oDSEf5i.png

Where are your past maps? This looks amazing.

I like maps that are recognizable places with goals (such as destroying it, getting out, recovering something weird, etc.), but without stupid cutscenes and junk. I need to play Caves of Darkness again.

Buildings that look like actual buildings. I know that's a vague statement but aside from a few schools and churches, realistic buildings seem sparse.

Spocks_Beard said:

Buildings that look like actual buildings. I know that's a vague statement but aside from a few schools and churches, realistic buildings seem sparse.

All things considered, this WAD made a good crack at it.