Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herzon

Worst Doom Level

Ultimate Doom: E3M7 is a disappointment.
Doom 2: Map 30 for OBVIOUS reasons.
TNT: Mill.
Plutonia: I don't hate a single level in the wad.

24 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Nope, and he's not the only who thinks the same.

I agree with him about E2M2 and Suburbs, the best map of the entire Episode 2 and the best city map of vanilla Doom 2.

Heh, good thing I don't fall easily for appeals to consensus. To each one their own I guess. 

On 10/30/2022 at 6:56 AM, PsychEyeball said:

Honorable mention: MAP15 - The Twilight. I hate the tiny corridors and I hate the 50 something chaingunners the map throws at you. Also why is one of the doors just a gap that can soft lock you into oblivion? Most of its ambushes don't feel fair at all given the no space you're given to work with.

I know the gap you're talking about, and it's actually not a softlock - one of the walls down there can be opened to reveal a chaingunner and a teleporter to safety. Well, as safe as The Twilight gets, anyway. This map actually becomes pretty fun imo if you know where to find the secret invulnerability, since it basically lets you take apart any ambush you want for free and then you get some safe space to tackle the rest of them.

Nowadays I have trouble singling out a particular official Doom map that I find to be the worst. E2M5 is probably up there for how much of an ugly unfun slog it is, but being able to escape it via the secret exit so easily makes it hard to justify calling the worst. The worst Doom level I've ever played though, PWADs included, is easily Bulletproof, MAP16 of Cleimos II.

Map13 Downtown in doom2... it's supposed to be a city + confusing as hell.

And in custom wads without doubt Zone 300, A ton of enemies and random sh!t everywhere...

And lastly Plutonia

2 hours ago, NiGHTS108 said:

Mephisto's Maosoleum is one of the three worst maps I have ever played in my entire life

Coincidentally just played this one for the first time. Beat it, but missing four secrets.

Don't want to find them.

Did that thing where you flip your hands in the universal signal for "okay, what do you want" half a dozen times while playing, even though there was nobody to see it but me. Was laughing, but not because fun was being had.

Hated almost every second.

Let's settle this:

-The Chasm (Doom II)

Pretty self-explanatory because of the infamous pits of nukage and ledges.

-Watch Your Step (Doom 64)

Because of how most of the maps in this game are pretty obsolete with the combat, this one takes the cake for being tight and showering you Lost Souls and Hell Knights.

-Hectic (Doom 64)

Sounds too cheesy but, who knows if you can get through Hectic in your first try. Arachnotrons, Barons, darts, and easy traps are at the beginning of the level.

I know several other levels that are bad to the bone, I just don't feel like listing all of them, or maybe because I can't recall their names.

2 hours ago, HERRGOTT said:

And in custom wads without doubt Zone 300, A ton of enemies and random sh!t everywhere...

Thanks!

You cannot beat the random sh!t of limitations.

Officially released stuff it’s easily the Xbox episodes but I never liked map 09 but from mods I’ll easily say it’s this sewer is a sealed tuna sandwich from Hell Yeah!

I, personally, don't hate maps. There's maps that are questionable on why they were designed the way they were.

Doom:

-E3M9, not sure this was due to a deadline, but yeah, copy and pasting E3M1 and add a few different sectors was a poor choice.

-E3M2, I gotta 'hand' it to y'all, not the best.

-The majority of Episode 4, map designs are good but never vibed with the experience.

Doom 2:

-Waste Tunnels, not cause it's a sewer map, just always erked me when playing it. Since I was 5 when I first played it. (late 1994)

-Downtown was annoying.

-Suburbs is meh. Teleporting monster battle was is my favorite portion of the map.

-Tenements is poorly designed, which made the experience confusing.

-The Chasm, nuff said.

-Monster Condo is meh.

Plutonia:

-Hunted, as a youngin (1997) I never liked it. Scared the crap out of me. Reasons why Arch Viles are the Bain of my existence.

TNT:

-Deepest Reaches, horrible map design and the midi track is annoying.

-Habitat, @MtPain27 explains it better than me.

Edited by Bass Slapper '89

Ultimate Doom

E1M9 - Military Base - There are quite a few bad maps in the original Doom, but for me the deciding factor was that this level is so far below Romero’s usual standard that it sticks out more than Sandy’s “miss” levels.

Doom 2 

Map21 - Nirvana - Even the more controversial Sandy maps have some quirk, something interesting. But this is pure garbage in map form.

PS I am one of the those people who has been converted into loving the Chasm. It is much more than it’s narrow ledges.

Plutonia

Map10 - Onslaught - A better name for this map is “Betrayal” because the start is complete BS and frankly the map doesn’t get much better. 

TNT

Map22 - Habitat - No real explanation needed here, this would be a sun-par maximum Doom map with illogical progression and strange visuals. The only redeeming feature is that the map is so broken that it can be beaten without exploring 90% of the map.