Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ravendesk

Platforming wad progression for skill improvement (a longread)

Based (on fine appreciation of Doom movement shenanigans).

Comprehensive read already; thanks for your dedication. I scanned the thread and used ctrl + F but I don't see Nine Inch Heels mentioned in here, who I think is a fine addition as she is a goddess of movement-based challenges, more than just NoYe 31; of the ones I've played, there are some great platforming maps + segments to check out in Happy Birthday Fonze (with rd), D5DA MAP25 & MAYhem 2020 MAP47.

Edited by Catpho

Incredible in-depth write-up; Great job putting this together and organizing it all. I have a feeling this post will be referenced for years to come.

2 hours ago, Catpho said:

Based (on fine appreciation of Doom movement shenanigans).

Comprehensive read already; thanks for your dedication. I scanned the thread and used ctrl + F but I don't see Nine Inch Heels mentioned in here, who I think is a fine addition as she is a goddess of movement-based challenges, more than just NoYe 31; of the ones I've played, there are some great platforming maps + segments to check out in Happy Birthday Fonze (with rd), D5DA MAP25 & MAYhem 2020 MAP47.

I was actually meaning to include d5da map 25 but accidentally called it map 33 (I was meant to mention d5da2 map 33 as well, so mixed things up). Fixed this now. Added a mention on Fonze birthday map as well.

As for MAYhem 2020 - afaik all later maps require zdoom but I'm only covering vanilla-like physics (vanilla, boom, mbf) here. This is something I should have mentioned in the post, so also added this note.

Thanks for the mentions!

great shit man. as a platforming connoisseur, id say you've mentioned all of the really great platforming wads that everyone needs to try out

I don't do an awful lot of platforming, needless to say it is definitely a very weak point for me in terms of juggling skills towards doom.

This is extremely helpful since I have debated on starting a side project of just getting super good at platforming, in which I needed some sort of progression for.

Thank you so much for this thread, it was absolutely needed from my end and I very much appreciate the work that was put into this! Neat shit.

Excellent writeup! This is a great reference since there's not a whole lot of info out there on Doom platforming from experienced players, and it's tricky for inexperienced players to judge the difficulty of platforming or to even know where to find platforming maps. I didn't even know YUM had a special -nomonsters mode.

I recently played GOODWAD MAP04 (you can find the demo I recorded for it on DSDA) and as someone who generally shies away from platforming I found it quite approachable since, as you wrote, it's very easy if you take it slow, but there are many ways you can approach it that make it faster and more difficult. Not a whole lot of platforming maps I know of that are like that.

Updated the OP to mention several more maps. I really missed a lot of NIH stuff somehow oops xd

Still need to go through a few things that people mentioned to me in discord, will do a few more updates later. Thanks everyone for having interest in this and bringing up more platforming stuff that I either never heard of or just forgot about.

16 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

I recently played GOODWAD MAP04 (you can find the demo I recorded for it on DSDA) and as someone who generally shies away from platforming I found it quite approachable since, as you wrote, it's very easy if you take it slow, but there are many ways you can approach it that make it faster and more difficult. Not a whole lot of platforming maps I know of that are like that.

Very nice to see a max of this map done, good stuff.

Posted (edited)

Seems like enough time has passed since I made initial post, so an update was due.

I have expanded the OP to elaborate a bit on the racing maps, give a separate paragraph to 1x1 in platforming fights section and mention new releases with platforming stuff including Hardfest 2, Junkfood 2, Eviternity 2 and many more (and also a couple of missed old ones).

Enjoy!

I Can't Sleep has a couple of platforming maps that I really liked. They were pretty hard for me with saves, which probably means that they're easy in the grand scheme of things.

21 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

I Can't Sleep has a couple of platforming maps that I really liked. They were pretty hard for me with saves, which probably means that they're easy in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't played that yet, but I'll check it out and include in the post.

Holy moly. If I ever want to tackle and learn that ever jolly artform, I know where to turn!

I made a platforming map a while ago. You may want to play it to see if it would fit in this thread. It’s the most recent thing in my maps thread. 

Posted (edited)

I misunderstood this thread and shouldn't have posted, sorry bout that

Edited by Clippy : Foot in mouth moment. Have personal skill issue with platforming hehe. I can appreciate and admire the effort and beauty of these maps. Always meaning to be positive and shared a dumb thought. I wish everyone the best

Posted (edited)

[EDIT] I originally had a response to Clippy's post here, but it's no longer relevant -- is good, we all cool now :)

Edited by Xaser

4 hours ago, Clippy said:

I misunderstood this thread and shouldn't have posted, sorry bout that

It's all good, the important thing is - now you also know where to start ;)