Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Sign of Torment

Sign-Of-Torment.jpg

What is the DWmegawad Club?

This is a place where we settle down, have a cup of tea (or drink of your choice) and take a month to play through a megawad on our own, together! Any keen observations, criticisms, or frustrated ranting about it goes here in the discussion. As long as you want to say something about what you've played, feel free to speak your mind.

Can I join?

Sure. The only rule is that you have to play at least some of the levels in our monthly megawad to contribute, but you're generally encouraged to finish the whole thing, even if you've played it before.

What levels am I allowed to post about?

Whatever day of the month it is, is the upper limit for the map you can post on. So if it’s the 6th, you may discuss up to MAP06.

Do I have to post an entry every day?

Nope, not at all. This is only for our more enthusiastic members. As long as you play through it with us you’re part of the club.

When do we vote on the next month’s megawad?

Voting begins on the 25th of the current month. Remember to add one “+++” before your vote to make it easier to count. For example:

+++ Ultimate Doom

Note that you can vote for up to three separate nominations in a single month, and every wad must contain at least three maps each. The winning nomination must receive at least four votes for a thread to be made. Ties will be decided by RNG.

----------

>>>DOWNLOAD SIGN OF TORMENT HERE<<<

For as common as Boom megawads are, Boom effects are surprisingly underutilized. Things like silent teleports and scrolling floors are often used behind the scenes, with effects like friction and jump pads rarely appearing, if at all. Our megawad this month, Sign of Torment by Kain D., seeks to remedy this by putting the BOOM back in Boom megawad, offering new weapons, enemies, textures, effects, and who knows what else. So join us for Kain D’s little Frankenstein experiment, where Boom will be brought back to life!

Maplist:

MAP01 - “Rooms and Shadows”

MAP02 - “The Loudest Silence”

MAP03 - “Dark Lantern”

MAP04 - “Legacy of Blood”

MAP05 - “Blood and Chaos”

MAP06 - “The Abyss”

MAP07 - “Forever”

MAP08 - “In This Hell”

MAP09 - “Seytanu Akbar”

MAP10 - “Inside the Fire” 

MAP11 - “F.O.A.D.”

MAP12 - “Arctica”

MAP13 - “Destined Ways”

MAP14 - “Alteration”

MAP15 - “Rule of Nines”

MAP31 - “Apocalyptic Omen”

MAP32 - “Layers of Time”

MAP16 - “Them Bones”

MAP17 - “Absence of Reality”

MAP18 - “Stellar Tombs”

MAP19 - “Broken Mirror”

MAP20 - “The Decay of Disregard”

MAP21 - “Misery”

MAP22 - “Whispers”

MAP23 - “Die Alone”

MAP24 - “Save My Life”

MAP25 - “Everlasting Pain”

MAP26 - “Hopeless”

MAP27 - “Black is the Soul”

MAP28 - “Loneliness”

MAP29 - “No Gods No Masters”

MAP30 - “In the End”

BONUS CONTENT

TBA

--------

OLD THREADS

Spoiler

The DWmegawad Club Metathread

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESY

Prepare for long writeups. @Kain D. is it OK for me to link to my unlisted videos of playtesting? Perhaps the maps have changed since I playtested them.

I was waiting for a long time for this WAD to be picked for the Club, as it is really a change of pace from the usual combat-focused highly polished affair we are used to (not to say SoT does not have some spicy combat, especially later on).

MAP01: Rooms and Shadows (UV, PS, No-Save)

The first map is the introduction to the "Red" episode, and serves to build atmosphere. The Plutonia flesh-sky and pillars of flesh and blood point to the hell-corruption spreading from it. As we know from the introduction, we have been sent to investigate what the UAC expedition found, and as per usual, it was not good. Infinite red void surrounds the floating techbase, and falling off means death. Guess our protagonist is not Chad enough to just jump down to Hell from the floating Deimos base (okay, "rappel down") like the OG Doomguy. Kinda makes sense, since this WAD is not supposed to be a power fantasy. Indeed, some later maps will make you feel pretty powerless.

Opposition is light, as expected from an opener map. Some Zombies, Imps, Demons and a Revenant. Berserk is provided so we do not have to pistol everything to death. There is a shotgun outside, but I'll be damned if I know how to grab it. Automap is not particularly helpful in this case, as Kain seems to mark a lot of linedefs as "openable" (appear white on the automap) - what's up with that? If it's to complicate secret-hunting, then it's an effective tactic.

The map also serves to introduce some staples of the WAD, like room-over-room effects, silent teleporters repopulating areas with inactive monsters (watch those corners in the future).

Final verdict? A nice little opener with good suspense-building music. Keep this map in mind as more of the story is unraveled.

MAP01 Rooms and Shadows - K: 90% / S: 100% (HMP, continuous)

One of the most atmospheric and unique wads that i have ever played (on HNTR.)  The build up of tension begins from the start, with a large corrupted room with pillars of blood, and the text 'Demise of Purity' writ on the floor in red, supported by a soundtrack consisting of type of music i actually listen to (death electro, death industrial, dark ambient...)  The shotgun is only obtained through a secret in the first map, but indicating mostly that secrets here are quite obscure as well as very helpful, and less of general withholding of proper weaponry or ammo.  On my blind run i found very few of them, especially in later maps, so i hope to do better now on this regard also.

The opposition here is light, but there is a Revenant for which the mere 8 shells are best used - he appears confined inside the computer-bank room the player must backtrack to after obtaining the Red keycard, and can conveniently be killed from the outside.  There are also on offer a Berserk-pack and a Chainsaw to give an option to shooting Pinkies and Imps with a pistol, and to be honest, i'm not sure there are enough bullets to kill them all without resorting to melee tactics.  A little bit of ammo and health is also scattered in out-of-the-way corners to reward exploration as becomes finely this wad.  Since am playing continuous there was no need to waste the rest of my bullets on the couple of Imps atop cliffs, of the three outside i killed only one that i could reach with the Chainsaw - thus only 90% of kills.

No rankings this time, as to me they are pointless on sets created by one person - in brilliant artistic sets the quality is always consistent and you probably either love or hate the ethos.  And indeed, how appropriate this set to come up for the month of Halloween.

Edited by espilka : artistic...ethos

Probably won't be as active as during the Spain month, but I'll chip in when I can. My interest is piqued for three reasons. First, the fascinating premise in its text file. Second, the good word about weirdness in this mapset from fellow community members. Finally, Kain D. has been posting some intriguing mapshots, so even if this seems to be an early work from this author, what with some very rough geometry and lighting in the screenshot, something special might be lying ahead. Also, Pechudin looks pretty hyped, so it'll be fun reading their posts even if I don't post a lot.

Some striking visuals here, really going to town with the lovecraftian, surrealist gore angle (and it feels properly surreal, not the standard Doom abstract surreal). The peculiar mood created from the peculiar visual elements and motifs, along with the plodding music track, are its main assets, but otherwise this map is somehow uneventful even for its mapslot. Roughneck looking, with a clear gap between its fantastic ideas (the aforementioned looks) and its overall execution (undramatic squared off architecture, flat landscaping), which honestly would be nitpicky for me to point out if it weren't for the fact that the map is over before I know it.

Okay, so I decided after reading the .txt briefly I'll do this month on Continuous HNTR with GZDOOM boom strict compat. I don't normally play wads in this manner, but it seems like a STRAIN type dealio where it might be better to do, plus I'm fixing for an easier experience than last month and my gaming chair situation is a bit weird rn so I'm trying to minimize time at my desk (currently using a drumming stool to sit at my desk).

I know nothing about this WAD other than that it's atmospheric and horror-y, and I'm glad it got chosen ultimately, it's what I was rooting for. No mapranks as others have said, it seems somewhat pointless seeing as this is more of a work of art than a classic 'Doom' experience. Let's get going!

MAP01: Rooms And Shadows

100K | 100I | 100S

Just like last month with Spain, MAP01 is a Tyson map. Happy to get the shotgun so early on and kinda surprised that I found it TBH. Didn’t need it thankfully. I’m just so glad a spooky WAD won for this month and it is PROPERLY hellish here, lots of atmosphere, sector text art, and while I am not really a story guy I will try to keep up. This is sick as hell so far, but at the end of the day it’s just a MAP01. Not much of note except for the banging atmosphere. Happy spookoween everyone and welcome to the Sign of Torment!

10 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Roughneck looking, with a clear gap between its fantastic ideas (the aforementioned looks) and its overall execution

Admittedly, the first episode is a bit rougher. As a playtester it seemed like the maps were created sequentially, as the mapper's skill grows as the WAD progresses.

This megawad is dripping with atmosphere. Would be interested to peruse the kind folks' opinions here.

Also just a heads up for y'all - the red episode imo is the worst and a bit grindy. Levels become shorter and more action oriented after that. Also, the last episode is very... unsettling.

This set looks interesting, so I'll give it a go. Is continuous play recommended because of extra tight ammo balance? I guess I'll find out. DSDA, UV, pistol starts for now.

doom00.png

Interesting visuals. I like the floating platforms and how you can see them from the windows in the main building. Gameplay is straightforward Tyson, with the Shotgun secret being useful for removing those elevated Imps.

This set has some really great maps in it but it takes its time and there's definitely some filler. It's worth sticking it out to the end though for all the crazy sights and psychological horror. Have fun!

58 minutes ago, Gregor said:

This set has some really great maps in it but it takes its time and there's definitely some filler.

As an anime enjoyer I am particularly filler-resistant.

Woof!, -cl9, pistol-start with saves, blind

I'm glad Sign of Torment got chosen, I wanted to play this one for a while. 

MAP01: Rooms and Shadows

Sign of Torment starts in a fragment of a techbase, suspended over red void. I like the moody vibe and effective usage of silent teleporters to connect the two stories of this building. The combat plays a secondary role, you get a berserk pack to handle 20-something monsters, the strongest of which is a revenant. If you want to play it safe, there's a secret shotgun, if you manage to spot a tiny switch.

Rooms and Shadows is a solid opener that makes you curious about the rest of the wad.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Is continuous play recommended because of extra tight ammo balance?

I guess narratively it makes sense to go continuous. But also the final episode is IMO health-and-ammo scarce, brutal even in cases. Still, this kind of worked atmosphere-wise in its favor.

This month, for realzies this time, I'll probably lay low. I played the first two maps on UV pistol start, and Sign of Torment could be something I'd enjoy, and I think I'll even play it along, but not gonna stress out for keeping up.

MAP01 started with an ominous first view. It certainly promises to be emphasize ambience (and, presumably, story) more than my usual flair of wads. A tyson map, although there is a hidden shotgun, which I only found after I had killed all the enemies. More precisely I saw the shotgun long before, but could only spot the pixel-wide switch too late.

A solid opener, and with a very simple floor-over-floor usage, it's strange we don't see that very often. Going Down utilized that in a secret level, as did Overboard at times, but common it feels not.

I haven't done one of these in forever. I'll be playing on good ole Prboom+, pistol starts without saving. This megawad looks very cool and I am excited to play it!

MAP01: ROOMS AND SHADOWS

It's always fun to start off with a berserk powerup. The silent teleport trick is one I have always liked and it is used extremely well here. The chainsaw seems a bit unnecessary, but I did kill the Revenant with it so it served its purpose. I could not find the secret on my own so I ended up looking in Doom Builder. Very sneaky placement.

Just now, DJVCardMaster said:

How is average map length and difficulty for this one?

I'm on MAP08 and already I've had 2 maps that took me more than 30min to beat. I'd say on average 15-20 if you know what you're doing, but expect to get lost and stuck especially if going for all kills or secrets.

4 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

I'm on MAP08 and already I've had 2 maps that took me more than 30min to beat. I'd say on average 15-20 if you know what you're doing, but expect to get lost and stuck especially if going for all kills or secrets.

Then I think this will be the end of my 5-month Streak in the club, quite a busy month, sadly.

Hi, I'm not particularly new to custom Doom stuff, I am new to this. The Megawad Club always looked like fun, and I was mainly waiting on something interesting I hadn't played before, so I think now would be a good time to start. :)
I'm not really sure how to structure this, so I'll just spitball my thoughts on the maps as they go on lol

A very odd start. Love the opening shot and the midi, instantly makes it feel very lonely and sinister. A lot of it is just very weird, not entirely sure what to make of it, but I think that works really well for it. I'm really digging the atmosphere and look of the map, feels very alien and unfamiliar, I love it. Combat's not too much to speak of, just punching a few monsters, always fun. Also I love the exit teleporter. :)

I think that's all I really have to say about this map for now. Gotta be honest, It's weird playing an opening map to a wad then waiting a day to play the next one lol but I'm interested to see where this goes!

Just now, Christophine Place said:

I think that's all I really have to say about this map for now. Gotta be honest, It's weird playing an opening map to a wad then waiting a day to play the next one lol but I'm interested to see where this goes!

You don't have to play it 1 day at a time. I keep a Google doc and just make writeups as I play when I feel like playing, and then paste the entry on each given day. I don't believe there's any rule against it - as long as you play it and share your thoughts, go at your own pace! It may be necessary with harder WADs so as to build a buffer if you're struggling on a map.  

6 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

You don't have to play it 1 day at a time. I keep a Google doc and just make writeups as I play when I feel like playing, and then paste the entry on each given day. I don't believe there's any rule against it - as long as you play it and share your thoughts, go at your own pace! It may be necessary with harder WADs so as to build a buffer if you're struggling on a map.   

Ah thanks! :)
I'm still gonna go one map per day though, I weirdly like the idea of getting excited to play the next one tomorrow.

Oh heck, I'll try to keep up with this. As always From Doom with Love on UV, although I think I'll go continous as per Kain's suggestion, partly because I'm guessing the weapon hunting isn't that fun and partly just to wait and see.

Map 01: Rooms and Shadows

Now, this is a cool starting shot! The teleporter has brought us to a generic base of genericness in spots but what's important here is the tastefulnes of the detailing. At one point, it's possible to gaze out through browned-out windows. More important than that, however, are the little wires running to various boxes that keep the base running. As we continue, we end up heading outside to be greeted by red sky and marble rocks! Not to mention a shotgun that's probably easier to get than we made it look. Otherwise, we just pistol some Imps and ledges and otherwise fight against 23 largely low-ranked enemies. There' what appears to be an entrance to the main base if the next map suggest anything. Good start.

Never done one of these before, WAD looks neat
Nice atmosphere-builder, although i'm not a fan of being forced to use the pistol. The insta-death edge of the map caught me off guard when I tried to do some platforming, and I couldn't figure out how to get the secret shotgun. Techbase + hell is pretty generic, but I really enjoyed the look of this map, even though its not the flashiest

Map01: Rooms and Shadows

Nice starting point, atmosphere reminds me of later TNT maps. Apparently there's a hidden shotgun but I like punching stuffs.

dwclub1.png

MAP02 the Loudest Silence - K: 100% / S: 100% (HMP, continuous)

Tally - Deaths: 0 / Secretes missed: 0

The map begins in a Infernoesque outside area surrounding a Doom IIesque corrupting techbase with three floors, while a grotto surrounded by the void serves as a basement.  There are also two teleporters, both optional in regards to progression - and one of them secret - transporting the player to floating islands in the void, providing some health and weaponry.  Some tougher encounters than in MAP01, as Mancubus, Cacodemon and Hell Knight are already added to the ranks of the quickly increasing enemy count.  The two secrets are stringed together, and is a bit easier to spot this time than in MAP01, particularly as i'm sure all Doomers always search such places.

Knowing what's to come this still serves as introduction to what is to be expected in later maps, still part of a soft landing, if you will, but just like Hangar, it's also a full-blown mini-adventure in itself.  Boom's silent teleporter-tricks are used to great effect to create a location that feels full-fledged in a way that's impossible in Doom proper, and for once i don't mind it - nothing here here feels like it's trying to outdo Doom, to turn it into something more modern.  All very tastefully and purposefully done.  And i really like the little changes, like colours of keycards and also other items.

MAP02: The Loudest Silence (UV, PS, No-Save)
We continue with a somewhat lackluster map, combat being decidedly UDooM-ish, of course reminding of the Containment Area (sans the interconnected layout). Some more  features of the WAD are revealed - namely the keys, where the standard RBY is replaced with Red, Black and White (just like the episode colors). The Black Key is a secret, but does not offer anything more than a secret Chaingun. So don't worry - you do not miss any lore.

The combat is pretty enemies-in-front. Open doors, shoot stuff, no traps to speak of. My memory is not too strong here, but this may be one of the weakest  maps. One thing od interest is the "You are not the first one sent here" message, which does raise one question - who left this message to us?

Verdict - quite bland. Some more Boom effects are showcased (room-over-room, vertically scrolling textures). Anything else? Oh yes, the MIDI is quite bland but in the playtesting phase it had a hillariously inappropriate chipper and ubpeat placeholder. This one is more appropriate. Honestly, the MIDI seems to convey a feeling of stupor, a daze, going through the motions. But perhaps the future maps are influencing my judgement.

Eh what the hell

Map 01: Rooms and Shadows

I’ll be honest, for a mapset that is meant to be “unique in comparison to mainstream wads” that was a pretty bog standard opener. I’m currently on the fulcrum of understanding that most sets open with tame visions of what they want, and beginning my way into the downward spiral of “when does it get good?” that can only last for so long. Techbase with wire connection is nothing new, and this image of hell relying mostly on the skybox could definitely use some flair. The fake two story base is cool, but I definitely wouldn’t sell the set on it. I’ll assume that I’m just being impatient for now.

Hey everyone! First time here, learned about this last month and decided to join in.

MAP01 - Rooms and Shadows
(Ultra-Violence, Continuous)

First impressions are always important, no matter what it is that is impressing you (or not). In that case, this level isn't half bad. The detailing of the level is pretty well done, and I particularly like the windows that allow you to observe parts of the level that you'll come across minutes later. Although not that later since this is a pretty short level. The combat is pretty bog standard, although I was surprised to see a revenant this early. The sky box is bland, and the layout is sort of boring. The only weapons in the level being a chainsaw and a hidden shotgun didn't make it all that hard, though the revenant did catch me out a few times.
Also, falling off the level leads to insta-death. Very cool.
All in all, a decent starter level, could use improvements. At least the music is pretty good.

MAP02 - The Loudest Silence
This level is not good. Save for the mancubus and room-over-room shennanigans, this level looks like it should be an outtake from Doom 1. I have to admit, I didn't notice the room-over-room going on until I got into the elevator and looked at the automap. The visual changes are nice, and there now is a motif of weird ominous text. Cool.

The room-over-room is probably responsible for this map having really terrible flow. Going in the building, up the elevator, getting the white key, down again, look outside, wait no there's nothing to use the white key on, loop around the building again because I forgot which side the door is on, go into the white key door, go up again, wait that's the exit, go down again, get the black key, go outside again, go inside again... you get the point, I spent more time going back from point a to point b than facing any kind of challenge. The layout isn't even confusing, its extremely linear, but there's an absurd amount of backtracking for a map so small.