Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Demonfear & 1000 Lines 2

Two things:

1. Demonfear requires complevel 2 for at least one map - don't forget it

2. If you want to be sure your LMPs will play back, download Demonfear from the DSDA (here), not idgames, and also load dfearfix.wad while recording/watching.  Some maps will desync otherwise, due to Zennode being a dodgy, dodgy nodebuilder in 1995 (I refuse to use it to this day).

22 minutes ago, Capellan said:

1. Demonfear requires complevel 2 for at least one map - don't forget it

Pardon my noobishness, but what are complevels? I still have no clue what that means.

Just now, Biodegradable said:

Pardon my noobishness, but what are complevels? I still have no clue what that means.

That is how compatibility settings are done in PRBoom+.  -cl2 is equivalent to the Doom (Strict) setting in GZDoom :)

Unlike my previous DWMC engagements, where I play and record the full megawad within the first couple of days of the month then post them throughout the month, without much memory of what I actually played, this time I will actually be recording ON THE DAY! (Or as close as possible based on availability.)  That said, I anticipated these two wads being played in tandem based on some comments made in last month's DWMC, and so I went ahead and recorded the first 2 maps of each WAD yesterday (I didn't know which one would be set for the 1st....) and here are the first 2 of Demonfear for this morning:

Using the Demonfear MIDI Pack

MAP01: Wolves in the Kitchen

This was a nice little Doomcute bunker or barracks of a kind, with beds and bathroom stalls and all (There's even a full wall urinal!), the eponymous kitchen had no wolves to be found...but it did have a fridge.  I even found the key to the locked armory that was no help since I am pistol starting this WAD, but should be a definite grab for continuous players.

MAP02: The Colonel's Car

More Doomcute...and a myhouse.wad to boot.  Super 90s Doomcute and myhouse style WADs are some of my favorite themes because they make me giggle to see extremely boxy cars and stock doom textures used to convey things like refrigerators and other furniture, lol.  I hope the wad continues to trend in this direction moving forward.

Given the schedule I'd suggest doing some of 1klinecp2 before the 16th and holding off on the reviews or you'll be packing 34 much larger maps into 16 days in the second half of the month and twiddling your thumbs in the first half of the month (demonfear maps are short).

I'll be attempting uvmaxes for both wads and resort to uv with saves for the maps that are too hard for me. My sourceport is gzdoom 4.4.2.

I've played ahead already. Be warned that there are some extremely hard maps in 1klinecp2, the episode enders, secret maps and the last few: maps 06, 15, 17, 20, 28-30, 32 come to mind.  Set your difficulty accordingly to derive the most enjoyment from these maps.

Demonfear is first up. It took me a few maps to get into it, the first 2 maps falling a little flat for me. The wad really gets good later (I'm halfway through it now). It's all about the gameplay and I'm loving it.

map01

Doors.

map02

More doors but getting much better gameplay. There's both outdoor and indoor fighting with the expected sniping through the windows.

PrBoom+, UV, pistol starting every map. I've played this wad before, so this playthrough won't be blind, and I actually played each of these first two levels twice today because I wanted to improve my time a little. I might stop doing that as the levels get harder. Here are some demos:

DF01-02.zip

Map01: maxed in 1:28
Pretty basic, but I had fun with it. Could use a little more ammo so that using the pistol isn't necessary. On the first attempt (not the demo) I had some trouble finding the way out to the red key area, somehow. Consider me navigationally challenged. I didn't even open the red key door in the demo; it's not a very convenient place for those weapons. With the haphazard route that I used, it might have actually been slower if I tried to go for those weapons and used them instead of the pistol.

Map02: maxed in 1:32
A little better. I actually played recklessly enough to get down to 4% health. I wouldn't have lost much if I died anyway. The excess of doors was quite noticeable here (let's see if I can avoid using the word "doors" in any further posts about this wad.) Demonfear hasn't killed me once yet, but I expect that to change.

I'm going to chance my arm at not doing complevel 2 and seeing how I get on with my preferred setup. If something breaks, that's on me! With that in mind, I'm playing the /idgames version in GZDoom 4.2.3 (I will get round to updating once I'm finished playing stuff that I've got saved games on). I've got a few little autoloads, but they're very minor cosmetic things (dynamic lights, bright maps, sprite fixes). Difficulty is UV and I'm using mouselook and playing continuous.

MAP01: I cleared the map out before getting the red key. I also ran out of ammo a couple of times and resorted to punching stuff, which left me on pretty low health! It's a nice, clean little map, but I think the custom textures (assuming that's what I'm looking at) could've been better aligned in the texture editor, as the BROWN96 part at the top is different heights depending on if there's a light on the METAL part or not. I like that the switches open up every door, including the stuck ones - a nice idea that I hope to see revisited in a more threatening setting!

MAP02: A dark exterior to a MYHOUSE map, where it's possible (and indeed, what I did) to kill every enemy before going indoors, leaving you to peacefully explore the house and admire all of the little touches and details. Once again, I got the bulk of the weapons after killing everything, although this time I didn't have any ammo shortages as I carried over the shotgun, chaingun and rocket launcher from the previous map. Health has been topped up here, so I'm feeling confident going into tomorrow! I like that the light switches indoors worked.

Sometimes the joy of playing a game is to go in with some expectations, have those met and have a blast. Getting what you want isn't always a good thing, but it often is, and I'd say it is here :) Looking forward to the rest of my play through!

Demonfear: MAP01 - Wolves in the Kitchen

UV | Continuous with Saves | GZDoom + Final Doomer

Time for a prison break! I love the beds, locker rooms and toilets, Capellan. DoomCute will probably always be impressive to me, I love that shit. Map's a little cramped, but I guess that's the point given the location. Grabbed the red card and all the goodies out of the armoury, so they'll definitely come in handy moving forward. Struggling to say anything else. Methinks my write-ups might be as brief as the maps themselves! Hehe but we shall see.

Demonfear: MAP02 - The Colonel's Car

UV | Continuous with Saves | GZDoom + Final Doomer

The DoomCute continues with a myhouse.wad thing going on, very 90s. This megaWAD really is going to be a time capsule experience for me, experiencing undoubtedly a whole plethora of 90s Doom community map tropes and I'm excited for it. There's still so much history I need to absorb if I'm to consider myself a member of this community. The map itself is even more brisk than its predecessor with all the demons eagerly opening all the doors to come clambering after me as soon as they knew I was outside, so I killed most of the horde in the dark. On the plus side, that did give me the space to drink in the map's design better hehe.

So I played Demonfear two days ago, took me around 2 hours and a half with a total of three deaths, a restart courtesy of intercept overflow, one or two saves somewhere in maps where I clocked 10 minutes in. The midi pack is highly recommended. I shall join in and write my experience:

Map01

pew pew imps doors pew zombies doors pew pew doors barrels caco doors pew pew doors oh a chaingun pew pew exit

Map02

pew pew pew pew pew doors doors doors doors doors exit

Ok, here we go then. HMP, continuous and with saves :

MAP01 : Starting with a secret, okay. And the key just right there.. Oh doomcute beds! And that crowd favorite, the bathroom. Shotgunning a caco and moving on, to keep mowing down imps. And done. I can seethe red key and there's a switch I have no idea what it does so I'm guessing those two are related.. Ah. Done.

Small cute map.

MAP02 : ok really doomcute house ending with a doomcute car, that I'm guessing I'm gonna steal and get the f out of here. Map is so small that I can't even do my normal ramblings :D

death count : 0.

initial impressions : I like the style and these mini-maps are great for me to play in small short sessions.

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEES!!!!! Finally, its been 3000 years, but now the time has come! I will be right back, will just play through MAP01...

two maps per day? sick, look forward to this.  demonfear will be new to me, played 1k lines 2 with some friends on survival, interested in seeing how much i can remember.

MAP01 - Wolves in the Kitchen

This was quite a small map, Dobu wasn’t lying in the intro. So many doors, although you guys established that pretty well already. I saw a red door but didn’t find the red key anywhere. I guess I didn’t need it after all. There weren’t any secrets other than the starting sector, so I didn’t know what it was for. According to the other comments, it’s a little armory which doesn’t matter to me since I’m pistol starting anyway. Doomcute is always something I love. Fun little romp, I wanna see it get better though.

MAP02 - The Colonel's Car

More Doomcute, but this time it’s more of a house rather than a barracks area. Is it a MyHouse.wad? Do we know how Capellan lived, 20 years ago? The house is complete with a bathroom, garage (with the Colonel's Car, it seems), living room, kitchen, tiny hallway with a bunch of doors, working light switches, and other furnishings. Unfortunately for any Capellans who happen to live there, it’s also full of monsters. Outside the house were demons, imps, and a hell knight that I never wound up killing, but I also never saw it again after the first time. I guess the monsters got him. Inside were just imps and shotgunners. The contrast between the extreme darkness and the fullbright (or close to it) inside was interesting to look at. Fun level, still lots of doors.

Sure, why not? I've always wanted to get into Demonfear, but never really been able to. Here's my excuse, I guess. GZDoom/HMP/continuous. Oh, and playing with the MIDI pack, too.

MAP01: Wolves in the Kitchen

5:13 | 100% Everything

I've tried this WAD a number of times before, but never made it beyond the second map. In fact, it was a long time before I ever made it past the first! This map really does not reward just charging ahead, as you'll quickly be out of ammo and swarmed by imps and a caco to boot. This time, I methodically searched each room, and came up with a shotgun and a decent supply of shells, though I used my pistol as much as possible to plink at the imps up the staircase. Not really much to write about here; I found the exit just under two minutes in, and spent the rest of the time mopping up and getting the red key supplies. Some DoomCute touches, but mostly brown walls and doors upon doors upon doors. Not a fan of how the light fixture textures seemed misaligned with the adjacent wall textures. As an aside, I ran this in UV just to see how much different the opposition was (since I remembered it being much worse) and managed to dash out in exactly 30 seconds (barely surviving the mob of imps blocking the exit.)

MAP02: The Colonel's Car

3:23 | 100% Everything

Getting absolutely swarmed by pinkies is what I always think of when I think of this WAD, so I must have made it this far a few times. A tiny little house with a tiny little yard, and almost of the baddies are outside charging you from the get-go. If you can manage not to get surrounded, it's easy enough to clean them all out, especially with the carryovers from the previous level. There's only a token resistance inside the house (once you figure out which door lets you inside) though chances are you've already taken most of them out through the windows. The key lets you into garage where the "car" is, and that's the end, making this map perhaps more unsubstantial than the last. The secret sector in the garage is funny: why not just have the corner with the chainsaw marked as such, I wonder?

MAP01-Wolves in the Kitchen

Well, my first ever post actually participating in the DWmegawad club. I'm not the most knowledgeable in regards to level design, and I don't even have a big vocabulary, but I'll do my best.

As for the level itself: its your standard opener, very short. Really liked how DoomCute it was, my favorite trait from those short map wads! It wasn't too ultra-detailed, but its more than 20 years old at this point, and its not like its ugly, like I said, the previously described DoomCuteness more than makes up for it with its sheer personality. Always love seeing bathrooms in maps.

Gameplay wise, again, nothing too out of the ordinary, although Cacodemons in the first level probably were something quite uncommon back then. I'll say one thing though: its very easy to miss the Chaingun and that ammo closet with the RL, and without those you have to use every shell and almost every pistol bullet you have! Still managed to complete it without too much trouble, and it did provide some good unintentional challenge without being impossible!

Looking forwards to the rest of the wad!

Glad to see a lot of people here playing with the Midi Pack i made in honor to this megawad :D
I would love to know what do you think about the tunes i selected, if you found them fitting or not.
Also, i'm improving the midi pack to be compatible with anything you throw it at.
And making the stats screen text more legible.
So feedback on anything you think that could be improved will be greatly appreciated.
I will be cheking the post for whatever you found displeasing, and i will try to fix it.

I'm aware of the stat screen text having a wrong offset on zdoom base ports.
I find a way to fix it, so will be uploading a new version of the midi pack in no time.
Hope you all enjoy the ride of Demonfear as much as i enjoy it.

;)

Watched a bit of Suitepee's stream this morning.  One thing that really comes out, e.g. on map03, is the impact of technology.  These maps were designed on CRT monitors at 320x200 resolution (even for the last 5 maps, made in 1999, I was still using doom2.exe).  Things that looked fine or even good on that tech do not look anywhere near so nice with modern flatscreen high-res displays. :)

prboom+, no saves, uv pistol starts  

demonfear
map 1
deaths 0
maybe it's being 3 tall cans deep but i nearly died here.  one room i hadn't checked had some spare shells, only way i was able to kill the remaining imps. non-zerk punching isn't exactly my strong suit.

Spoiler

doom00.png.d668cf96a210c7a032250b457def41bc.png

1klines 2 cp
map 1
deaths 0
pretty chill, watching the hell knights and revenants infight the imps and pinkies. 

Spoiler

doom01.png.fd257104b7069cf2de30c6db44b902c3.png

demos.7z

@loveless I think the plan is two Demonfear maps per day until it's done, then two 1kL2 maps per day from there.

Demonfear

I haven't really felt like writing much about Doom lately but I'd like to play Demonfear, so I'll probably do the whole thing in one or two goes and just post here as appropriate. Playing UV pistol starts, with Chocolate Doom, especially after Capellan's comments that things look better at 320x200 :) Using P41R47's MIDI pack but with OPL music for a classic sound.

MAP01: I'm a fast reader and a slow player, so this map took longer than reading dobu's post, but it was still pretty short. Nice intro level though. The dual-texture walls are simple but look nice. Combat is pretty simple, though with Cacos on MAP01 it has a bit more bite than some 90s-era MAP01s would I guess?

MAP02: A nice not_really_my_house.wad map. Very dark (until you get inside and turn on the lights!), and despite the small size, takes a bit of time to orient yourself and figure out where to go. The cramped layout that's full of doors meant monsters got stuck everywhere; on my first playthrough, I died when the hell knight got caught on the first room inside, and I ran out of ammo killing things outside so I couldn't get past him.

I feel like modern Doom (that is, modern classic Doom) gameplay, and players, are too afraid of cramped design. It's not really something you see much at all, and I think it has its place.

10 minutes ago, plums said:

Capellan's comments that things look better at 320x200

It's more that 320x200 is a lot more forgiving :)  Also, my experience was that CRT monitors tended to be darker than modern tech & ports - I used to use Gamma 3 when playing on my 486 for instance.

I will be playing through Demonfear of course, but not through 1K Lines 2, my time is not enough, and in addition, I stopped caring about 1K project itself.

I'll be back to see reviews for MAP34 of course, but not that I care that much. Also it is safe to say that Dragonfly changed a lot to that map, to look like it's underground, and I would have liked for him to be somewhat credited for his help, as he did a great job.

dmonfear.wad "Demon Fear" - Adam Windsor:

Nothing but a classic mapset made by our guy from the Megawad Club, Capellan, it's composed entirely of short maps that were back in the day, launched in episodes of five maps, until he compiled all episodes in one megawad.
It was really good back in the day, but let's see if this stands the test of time. I'm sure you are going to hate doors at the end of the playthrough, as it has SEVERAL of them, and that's why mappers won't use them as much.
Made at the end of the millennium. Marking a division spot for early oldschool of maps and new ones. Not only that maps are short, but most of them are somewhat based on "real life" locations, such as houses, prisons, neighborhoods, and anything else Doomcute. In fact, Demon Fear is a dictionary definition for Doomcute.

MAP01 - "Wolves in the Kitchen"  (100%K/0%I/100%S):

A prison, but conveniently, your room has the key for your escape, for some weird reason, so let's not talk about how doom the cell keepers are. If you play in multiplayer, Player 1 will need to release his friends from the other cells. I remember having some trouble in newer online sourceports as you would not get the player 1 start always.
It has many samey rooms and textures, there is a small courtyard and a bathroom at the middle. It's short but sure is a classic starting point for a megawad. And when you see that walltexture, you scream "IT'S DEMON FEAR!".
Low on ammo by the way, and it's full of imps, so try to cause some infights here, with the cacos and hitscanners.

MAP02 - "The Colonel's Car"  (100%K/0%I/100%S):

We are now at what feels like the "Colonel"'s house. And we have to steal (borrow?) Colonel's car. A short house with many rooms, and many enemies at the outside custoding it at its surroundings.
The colonel should have placed a "beware of the dog" sign, before we have to enter and get his car. Another cramped map, but luckly more "vivid" than the last one.
Fun little map.

Deaths: 2 (UV Playthrough - Chocolate Doom)

Order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP02
MAP01

Well, Capellan should explain the lore a little bit more to us.

MAP01 is a military base, not a prison.  It's in the level text file :)

Also, only the last 5 maps are made at the end of the millennium.  Everything else is from 1995.

map03

An archvile is out to get you and he got me several times before I beat the map. In my view one of the 5 hardest maps in the wad on UV.

map04

A courtyard full of hitscanners.