Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

How do you like your Doom?

Offline: Gzdoom w/OpenGL, 1440x900 fullscreen (odd monitor), mouselook w/autoaim + crosshair, WASD controls, texture filter off.

Online: Skulltag w/OpenGL, 1440x900 fullscreen, mouselook w/autoaim + crosshair, WASD controls.

I've gotten so used to that kinda style cause I sorta needed it to stay at least a little competitve when I only played online.
I'll switch entirely back to Skulltag again when they add the functionality to play SNES/Genesis/Etc music tracks that Gzdoom has.

GZDoom is my source port of choice. As for settings:

1920x1080 with no filters
KB + Mouse
jumping and crouching enabled, though I rarely use both in Doom
no autoaim
the small circle crosshair
an earlier version of GZDoom Advanced that I added all sorts of miscellaneous stuff to

PrBoom at 1024×768, neither crosshair nor mouse, no GL but eawpats as midi soundfont.

Usually SDL Doom, which is just vanilla LinuxDoom in SDL. It has no music, but plays very fluidly (no framerate cap).

Sometimes Chocolate Doom, esp. when a map needs -merge or -deh, or if I just want music.

More rarely PrBoom, if a map needs limit-removing port or uses boom features.

Mithran Denizen said:

Yeah, that makes sense. Apparently a number of people aren't fond of Doom's 35 fps cap, especially after playing with the framerate uncapped in ZDoom or PrBoom+ for extended periods. I guess my eyes just aren't sensitive enough for me to care; most of the time, I can barely even notice the difference at all.

See, I don't seem to notice that Chocolate Doom is running at a lower FPS (possibly because the much lower resolution is more obvious to me) but I do notice that ZDoom is running faster. Strange, but there you go.

GZDoom in OGL,1080p,no anti aliasing,no texture filtering,with a mouse,freelook and no autoaim,dot crosshair.

Choco Doom whenever possible, keyboard only (ESDF and cursor keys). I use OPL sound as I have problems with MIDI volume control. Failing that, whichever port is required. I set the resolution to 640X400 as most ports that show text on screen don't scale to 320X200. I have Fluidsynth with WeedsGM3 in ports which support it and FMOD in others.

Skulltag OGL for all my Chex Quest needs (I hate Legacy - too unstable) especially now that there is the mighty Skulltag Pack by CQ75. I wish ST would upgrade to at least Fluidsynth support though (or if it does already I can't get it to work!).

Razen said:

When I'm casually playing I tend to use ZDoom, with the respective compatibility flags depending on if it's vanilla or not.

Not a great idea. No matter how much you screw with compatibility options, ZDoom is never quite "vanilla." It handles collision detection, linedef actions, and occasionally monster behavior differently than vanilla, no matter what. It's better to use PrBoom+ with -complevel 2 (for DOOM/DOOM II) or -complevel 3 (Ultimate DOOM) if you want truer vanilla support without a framerate cap.

Unless the WAD obviously was built for ZDoom (and forces to use jumping/crouching), or it's an MP session where everyone else is using freelook, I never use freelook. It's not a traditional DOOM feature, and older maps were not designed with it in mind. Using it in older maps is cheating, far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying anyone has to stop doing it, but I'll certainly say that Plutonia's got to be way easier when you can just aim upward at those chaingun zombies sniping you from the horizon.

Mithran Denizen said:

Playing Doom at anything higher than 320x200, or on anything faster than a 486, is cheating, as far as I'm concerned. Shame on you all.

Good comparison. Not.

Megamur said:

I'm not saying anyone has to stop doing it, but I'll certainly say that Plutonia's got to be way easier when you can just aim upward at those chaingun zombies sniping you from the horizon.

Eh. Plutonia's hard enough for me without being constantly shot at by sniping chaingunners. If I want to play an old PWAD that may or may not take advantage of the player's inability to look up and down, I usually play it with PrBoom so as to ensure that I get an original taste from the level... but if I play any recently released maps or one of the original IWADs, I really don't care about such things. Generally speaking, freelook just adds to the fun IMO.

EDIT: I didn't see this when I posted.

darkreaver said:

Good comparison. Not.

I'm at least pretty sure that he was joking.

Redeemer812 said:

I'm at least pretty sure that he was joking.

I`m pretty sure he was joking too, but in his own favor/down on the "mouse look haters".

If that made any sense, lololol.

Doom95 and Chocolate Doom for Doom in general.

PrBoom+ for Boom-compatible and limit-removing maps.

Doomsday for fancier visuals despite being restricted to vanilla maps and playing Heretic/Hexen.

G/ZDoom for mods and playing limit-removing Heretic/Hexen/Strife maps (at least until there's another limit-removing port for those three games).

Skulltag for multiplayer. Though I recently grabbed Odamex but saw no one playing (what a surprise).

NiuHaka said:

The Doomsday Engine. I like my games to look good. Per kristians sfx. I also like my games to sound good.

Exactly this.

In addition to the above, I always use a PSX music wad, perkristian's smooth weapon animations and a high res texture pk3. Oh, and I force silly amounts of FSAA through my driver control panel. The result of all this is the sexiest looking and sounding Doom.

# Singleplayer
PrBoom 2.5.0, 640x480, fullscreen, gamma correction off.

ZDoom 2.5.0, 640x480, fullscreen, gamma correction off, mouselook enabled. No fancy custom mod auto-loaded, although perkristian's stuff is very nice.

# Multiplayer
ZDaemon 1.09 beta 23, 640x480, fullscreen, gamma correction off, always mouselook when allowed, crosshair off ( except when there's a Railgun available ).

GZDoom or Skulltag, jumping and crouching enabled, 1280x1024 Res, preferably with the PSX soundtrack or Brutal Doom if im not playing a episode/megawad.

Redeemer812 said:

I think this is the single most witty thing yellowmadness has ever posted.

In all seriousness though, I like to play Doom II on Skulltag with hardware acceleration... but I'm not a feature nut, so I tend to turn many of the fancy graphical effects off.

Hate to intrude, but I think my comment toward...jeez what was his user name at the time... Well, a bloodmaster clone-
anyways, he was claiming he was really my alt account, and thus I followed that with
"Oh yeah guys, I forgot to mention I'm a weretard, during the middle of the night I make alt accounts to no life people"
Or something along those lines.

But to actually answer the thread like a good poster-
I use skulltag as my sorce port, simply because GZdoom breaks alot on my machine (does weird stuff) and other source ports I just haven't felt like tampering with.

doom.exe from dos on a pentium 60mhz keyboard only 16-bit soundblaster <- would be ideal

but im forced to try to replicate that with zDoom as vanilla as possible

Mithran Denizen said:

What's wrong with Chocolate Doom? It emulates your ideal more closely than ZDoom does.

I've never gotten around to using many source ports. I just stick to zdoom and skulltag, they get the job doen idealy.

M3g4Sph3r3 said:

doom.exe from dos on a pentium 60mhz keyboard only 16-bit soundblaster <- would be ideal

Don't recall encountering a Pentium 60, though my 83MHz Pentium Overdrive will go close if I reduce the motherboard clock to 25MHz.