Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment on NIGHTMARE! in 43:57

OK let me do it once I figure it out, will be my first news submitted. Also, it is new EP1 NM Speed record :)

I still think it’s stupid that people use Glitches to “speedrun”, yeah they’re amazing feats still ... but it just feels ... wrong (generally speaking)

Zero-Master, PLEASE do a glitchles nightmare run, since this one does NOT count. Thank you :)

Congrats on your achievement! It's cool to see so much activity on these games and new things being accomplished still.

Cyberdemon531 said:

Zero-Master, PLEASE do a glitchles nightmare run, since this one does NOT count. Thank you :)

Haha, the internet never fails to drown a work of art in a sea of mediocrity.

This is intense. Great playing and clever thinking throughout. I can't even fathom the difficulty of this run.

Awesome, congrats! It was fun to watch

Spoiler

during eating my lunch. :)

MAP03 with its corridors looks like a complete pain in the ass for anyone attempting to speedrun it.

Okay, finally watched this. Truly a legendary run. A Plutonia nightmare run is like one level beyond impossible.

Really it's been an excellent past twelve months for Doom speedrunning, all sorts of undone tasks completed and major new record times. The best players are innovating and changing the very style of Doom runs. It's thrilling to watch.

I almost never post here, but after your Doom 2 run and this, I must say I am very impressed. I never expected to see this, so it's indeed a nice surprise. Congratulations.

Again thanks for all the comments, greatly appreciated! Even the ones on pcgamer\kotaku, gives me a really good laugh sometimes :D

I will someday play through TNT on nightmare to see how challenging it is, I know xit-vono has done a lot of work on those nightmare IL's and episodes 2-3 which would simplify for anyone wanting to find a plan for d2all. Maybe nightmare difficulty could make the wad more interesting as well. Next year it's going to be 20 years since final doom was released, good time for someone to do it :)

After plutonia UV-speed I went on to Doom 2 UV-speed, maybe the next logical step would be Doom 2 NM-speed. A lot of tricks can be implemented to not only make it faster, but also easier to survive. For example after doing Dead Simple rocket jump so many times it would save time since I get to skip all the arachnotrons and probably get me through the map much more often.

I don't think I will ever give serious attempts to improve this 30pn time, if so it would have to go below 40 minutes, but this one was more fun than other d2all runs that I do, so not impossible that I try it again someday. The fun part about d2all NM is that there really is no limit to how far it can go, it's simply not viable to do it like UV, but then there will always be some great risk you can take to save a lot of time. So maybe doom 2 nm would be fun :) but I have some doom 1 episode runs in mind atm, so we'll see what my second year of playing doom will bring :)

If its the real thing, then this would be probably the best single segment movie run of all times. Feel free to burn me on a stake verbally tho, but I am not gonna take this at face value w/o seeing a live stream of all these consecutive glides, archi and rocket jumps showcased in at least a successful episode run. If so, I'll shut my mouth and bring out the trophy :) Until then though, I'm gonna be one of those party pooping skeptics.

I do not have doubts about this being legitimate. After 30pl speed movies appearing pretty much regularly, I didn't have doubts about this appearing sooner or later when it was announced to be in the works. If a tnt nightmare movie appears someday, I think I'll raise an eyebrow. If there's a run I do not expect to see completed in my lifetime, it'd be full tnt nightmare SS movie.

Rez said:

I don't grok this monster-glide thing (video on above link) -- how does that work? Use small words. :)

You might know about a phenomenon called wallrunning where if the player straferuns along certain walls, they get a super turbo boost. Well, as far as the game engine's collision code is concerned, the edges of enemies (and all other all obstacles, really) are basically just short walls. So if you line it up and time it just right, you can wallrun along the side of an enemy.

This is most clearly and impressively used in this classic Map23 trick, which I personally think is the best speedrun trick in any Doom game:

Andy Johnsen said:

If its the real thing, then this would be probably the best single segment movie run of all times. Feel free to burn me on a stake verbally tho, but I am not gonna take this at face value w/o seeing a live stream of all these consecutive glides, archi and rocket jumps showcased in at least a successful episode run. If so, I'll shut my mouth and bring out the trophy :) Until then though, I'm gonna be one of those party pooping skeptics.

Hallo Anders, hyggeligt at du har tatt deg tid til å se denne demoen, og jeg forstår at noen kan være skeptisk. Jeg vil anta det ville vært lettere å jukse ved å bruke andre sourceporter enn competition doom, men så vet ikke jeg så mye om det, du for si i fra når du er i Bergen i såfall :)

As for live streaming, I don't quite have the motivation for it, but that might change in the future.

(quick reply in norwegian, I'll refrain from tempting the mods beyond that :)
Hyggelig like så :) Skepsisen vil nok vedvare i disse tider siden det er tilnærmet umulig å forebygge noe 100%, og veldig lett å arbeide rundt dette selv i C-Doom. Jeg vil nødig ødelegge for deg i denne tråden uansett, og gratulasjoner er på sin plass på tross av min skepsis. Nå husker jeg selv hvor lite gøy det var å bli anklaget for å bruke slowmo på slutten av 90-tallet, min løsning var å laste opp en drøss failed attempts. Bergen sounds good ;)

Norwegian yabber aside; I will add to it that me being a sceptic is a general issue with records done the later years, and not symptomatic to one run. Until proven different people should get the benefit of the doubt. Doom speedrunning keep evolving, none of these glides were available to the same extent back in the day, that's a cool thing in itself!

That glide back from the baron (north directed) on map 13 took me a small eternity to figure out, I explained somewhat how it's done in the final doom thread, only real use that I know of is map 13 of plutonia and e4m4 of ultimate doom (within IWADs at least).

Hopefully Henning also has\had the time to watch it :)

I'm sure he will :) you could also do a facebook add of him if you are on that thing, just look up his name and click the dude from stavanger, he would probably enjoy discussing some possible route improvements in the Doom2 run, as there have been some obvious changes to the approach in some maps the past years.

Linguica said:

You might know about a phenomenon called wallrunning where if the player straferuns along certain walls, they get a super turbo boost.

Yep. And it seems to be edges, not just walls -- line up and run along a seam in a floor and it works there too. Or along the top of a long shallow step. (Not sure of specifics; I've just fiddled with it a bit, as I don't normally do speedrunning. I'm more like leadfooting. :)

Linguica said:

Well, as far as the game engine's collision code is concerned, the edges of enemies (and all other all obstacles, really) are basically just short walls. So if you line it up and time it just right, you can wallrun along the side of an enemy.

Ah, okay. Explains the occasional "How the hell did I jump that?" while running for my life. :)

I wonder what other nifty tricks have yet to be discovered?

Johnsen, my dear old fart, I'll vouch for ZeroMaster here if you'll take my word for it. I've seen a marked progress in "getting the glides right" in the recent year or two. People (not just ZM) have invested a ton of time into perfecting the art. I can see what they do to achieve this, but I have no patience for re-learning new configs, especially considering what you sacrifice for it, heh. The crazy part is playing without novert, which makes their movement suck balls at micro-level. You certainly won't see any of these scrubs being any good at DM. ;)

Anyways, hats off to ZM!

What would the world be w/o old farts, dew ;) I think being a skeptic is not out of line with todays tech. That should not be the focus of this thread tho.

Btw, I never played with novert, and I'll argue the statement about DM suckage =)

Well, that thing was recorded with CNdoom, so it's pretty much as legit and anti-cheat as possible in this day and age without literally streaming all of your attempts. I'd say ZM also provides a legit history, there's a "curriculum vitae" of completing challenges and moving to greater ones. But I'm just putting some weights on the "righteous" scale, not trying to supersede an opinion of one of the elders. :)

I don't understand your refutal about DM suckage though. Was that supposed to mean some players not using novert don't suck at duels? ;)

You vouching goes a long way, needless to say. When I watch a run like this, I badly want to think its the real deal, cus its awesomeness. C-doom helps the case further. I'm feeling slightly bad for having gone out hard here, thanks to you. Or perhaps its the accumulation of beers.

Dm wise, No, I positively lost once in a while against Ocelot. And he sucked. ;)

Andy Johnsen said:

I think being a skeptic is not out of line with todays tech.

I agree. Maybe it will help keep this place honest. And what's so bad about doing a live stream or making a proof video? Nothing.