Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Is beer as bad for your teeth as soda?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:04. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

I am trying to cut back on soda because of my teeth, but I have taken a liking to beer.

Obviously beer isn't healthy in large amounts any more so then soda, but does it actually damage your teeth as much as, say, coke? Or soft drinks in general?

Old Post 12-05-13 01:21 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheCupboard
Forum Regular

It's decent for oral hygiene considering it kills off (to an extent) the microbial flora and fauna which propagate in the mouth. The only time I can see beer being a problem is when you get the "munchies", i.e. what foods you choose to consume after drinking a can. Beer has a lot of calories in it but they don't come from sugar, they're more like carbohydrates. If the fermentation process goes well, the yeast should have eaten all sugar.

Old Post 12-05-13 01:29 #
TheCupboard is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

But also it's not as if you hold any of the drinks in your mouth for extended periods.

Old Post 12-05-13 01:34 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

If beer were as bad for teeth as soda, I'd be gumming my delicious turkey on this fine, Wednesday evening. I think you'll be fine.

Old Post 12-05-13 01:57 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey

It depends on how many fights you get into when you're drunk

Old Post 12-05-13 02:11 #
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

Avoozl said:
But also it's not as if you hold any of the drinks in your mouth for extended periods.

Definde "extended periods". Good drinks stay in my mouth for a while so I can properly enjoy the taste.

Old Post 12-05-13 02:13 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darknation
Forum Staple

I fucking cracked one of my front teeth because I was drunk, misjudged the distance between glass and mouth and cracked myself in the gob with the rim of the pint.

Old Post 12-05-13 02:35 #
darknation is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
buttspit

TheCupboard said:
It's decent for oral hygiene considering it kills off (to an extent) the microbial flora and fauna which propagate in the mouth. The only time I can see beer being a problem is when you get the "munchies", i.e. what foods you choose to consume after drinking a can. Beer has a lot of calories in it but they don't come from sugar, they're more like carbohydrates. If the fermentation process goes well, the yeast should have eaten all sugar.

Random nitpick: "sugar" is a sub-group of carbs. The one in beer, called maltose, is a type of sugar. But yeah, beer is low in it anyway. And it isn't as damaging to teeth as the sugar found in sodas.

So having said that, beer isn't as bad for your teeth as soda.

Old Post 12-05-13 02:41 #
buttspit is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
flubbernugget

Drinking soda is less damaging to your teeth of you drink it with a straw. I would assume the same goes for beer.

Old Post 12-05-13 04:04 #
flubbernugget is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

not for your teeth but it builds spare tire around your waist as effectively if you drink it too much and forgot to move

Old Post 12-05-13 05:45 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

flubbernugget said:
Drinking soda is less damaging to your teeth of you drink it with a straw. I would assume the same goes for beer.

Who on earth drinks beer with a straw?

Old Post 12-05-13 08:50 #
Dragonsbrethren

hardcore_gamer said:

You will, if this is really a concern.

Old Post 12-05-13 11:31 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheCupboard
Forum Regular

I would tend to agree; good beer is not enjoyed via straw.

Old Post 12-05-13 12:05 #
TheCupboard is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darch

Beer is good for your teeth, your health, and life in general. Soda is bad. Beer is good. Burp.

Old Post 12-05-13 12:55 #
Darch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

hardcore_gamer said:

Watch the movie "Cabaret Balkan" (or "The Powder Keg") and you'll see a very good example.

Old Post 12-05-13 13:33 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

I heard that some german beers are meant to be drank with straw because of their potent drunkness inducing effect

Old Post 12-05-13 14:29 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Coopersville
Supreme Gentleman

hardcore_gamer said:

Watch the movie "The World's End" (or "Three Flavours Cornetto 3") and you'll see a very good example.

Old Post 12-05-13 14:37 #
Coopersville is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kontra Kommando
Let's attack aggressively

Actually the alcohol would at least kill a lot of germs and bacteria in your mouth. It is good to have a glass of white wine with fish, to do that.

Old Post 12-05-13 14:42 #
Kontra Kommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

Kontra Kommando said:
Actually the alcohol would at least kill a lot of germs and bacteria in your mouth. It is good to have a glass of white wine with fish, to do that.

Is this really true for Beer though? 5% vol really isn't much.

Old Post 12-05-13 14:49 #
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Coopersville said:

Watch the movie "The World's End" (or "Three Flavours Cornetto 3") and you'll see a very good example.

Dammit Cooper, I wanted to say this.

Old Post 12-05-13 15:58 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

You still going on about your teeth?

Old Post 12-05-13 19:24 #
Technician is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
buttspit

Nevermind the effects of soda on teeth for a moment. Have you checked your blood sugar level recently due to your soda consumption (assuming not diet sodas)?

Old Post 12-05-13 21:04 #
buttspit is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kirby

Found this on the IntarWebz. No references to speak of (aside from the "Beer Fox" who wrote the article) so I can't verify how accurate this article is, but read through it. If her stats on the pH levels are correct then that should give you a starting idea of comparison between other beverages.

Old Post 12-06-13 01:27 #
Kirby is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Drink diet soda, not sure if you're better off with that. Some say its just as bad as normal soda, or worse.

Old Post 12-06-13 21:33 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Dutch Doomer said:
Drink diet soda, not sure if you're better off with that. Some say its just as bad as normal soda, or worse.
As far acidity goes it still contains a fair amount of acid. My teeth can attest to that.

Old Post 12-06-13 22:23 #
Technician is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

hardcore_gamer said:
Is this really true for Beer though? 5% vol really isn't much.
That's right, I prefer grappa instead.

Old Post 12-06-13 22:25 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

So...

Beer is far worse for my brain cells than soda.

Who cares about teeth?

Old Post 12-06-13 22:27 #
Graf Zahl is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

Beer is great, who cares about either?

Old Post 12-06-13 22:42 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Graf Zahl said:
Who cares about teeth?
Are you really an Englishman posing to be German?

Old Post 12-06-13 23:07 #
Kontra Kommando
Let's attack aggressively

myk said:
That's right, I prefer grappa instead.

I love grappa, especially after coffee. My grandparents actually used to make their own.

Old Post 12-07-13 22:18 #
Kontra Kommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote