Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tetzlaff

When Doom looks more cartoony than Serious Sam...

6 hours ago, x-Doping said:

Horrible. Where all the blood? Why it's evaporates instantly? Why pieces of flesh looks like shit? WHY you reduce it? You want blondes to play DOOM? Or 6 years old kids? It doesn't happens! DOOM Eternal looks ABSOLUTELY plastic. Non violent, chip.
New RAGE was shit. All this extra colors didn't help, just annoyed. And you still going this direction..
DOOM lost its balls completely.

I played DOOM 2016 with disabled hud, this is only way to make it a bit more realistic. And low brightness, anything just not to see this levitating toxic green ammo boxes.

DOOM Ethernal.jpg

Wow m8 its almost like the game isn't done yet and was pushed back to March 2020 for a reason.  Stop reeeing and have patience.

Just now, CARRiON said:

If a blonde dye's their hair a different color, can they play DOOM Eternal?

You can take the blonde out of a blonde. But you can't take the blonde out of a blonde.

Just now, CARRiON said:

If a blonde dye's their hair a different color, can they play DOOM Eternal?

Now I start to wonder if doomguy\doom slayer is actually a blonde, or if he's dying his hair.

Serious Sam 3 has a rather gritty apocalyptic atmosphere. The story is quite depressing if you think about it, with a very different tone compared to First and Second Encounter (SS2 is no longer canon). It's also one of the best "hard" single-player FPS on Serious difficulty in the Fusion version that I've played.

14 hours ago, STILES said:

While some of that may be true...

A bigger question is, why does the Scrapback look so much like the Mancubus?

Because the Scrapjack is a hommage to the original Mancubus. While the Doom Eternal Mancubus is a remake. That's why I put them in my picture, they are comparable.

Edited by Tetzlaff

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Holy shit, what cartoons are you watching that look like that? I need to get in on it!

Pinky and the Spiderbrain

14 hours ago, x-Doping said:

Horrible. Where all the blood? Why it's evaporates instantly? Why pieces of flesh looks like shit? WHY you reduce it? You want blondes to play DOOM? Or 6 years old kids? It doesn't happens! DOOM Eternal looks ABSOLUTELY plastic. Non violent, chip.
New RAGE was shit. All this extra colors didn't help, just annoyed. And you still going this direction..
DOOM lost its balls completely.

I played DOOM 2016 with disabled hud, this is only way to make it a bit more realistic. And low brightness, anything just not to see this levitating toxic green ammo boxes.

DOOM Ethernal.jpg

I laughed so hard at the blondes bit, quality comedy. Id are gonna make a warning on the box 'NOT FOR BLONDES' like that yorkie chocolate years back. SJW everywhere gonna rage.

PS I love the colors, I have no issue with the gore. To each his own though.

13 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

If you want a more realistic Doom experience you're best sticking to Doom 3 :)

Doom 3 was horrible. Realistic doom experience? Ever played doom or doom2? Its like a totally different game. Trying to mix action paced fps with slower bits, too much story, horror and other genre elements. And grey and black everywhere.

53 minutes ago, massivefanofdoom said:

Realistic doom experience? Ever played doom or doom2?

It was the most realistic feeling game back in the day. And when you compare Commander Keen - Wolfenstein 3D - Doom, you might notice that id Softwares game design became less cartoony.

44 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

you might notice that id Softwares game design became less cartoony.

and also less Fun until Doom 2016 came around. Doom 3 was not as okay, not as good as the classics, and rage was just meh.

1 hour ago, Tetzlaff said:

It was the most realistic feeling game back in the day. And when you compare Commander Keen - Wolfenstein 3D - Doom, you might notice that id Softwares game design became less cartoony.

Oh less cartoony alright .... it was darker than Ted Bundy's basement. But i guess ppl who prefer winter over summer must be the same ppl who prefer d3 over d1/2/final or even think its a classic (just my opinion and some banter, nothing personal to all who love d3 or winter :) )

Edited by massivefanofdoom

3 hours ago, massivefanofdoom said:

Doom 3 was horrible. Realistic doom experience? Ever played doom or doom2? Its like a totally different game. Trying to mix action paced fps with slower bits, too much story, horror and other genre elements. And grey and black everywhere.

Well seeing as your a massive doom fan, you would understand that Doom itself is not very realistic. Shocking, I know. The point I was making was that, regardless of your opinion on the game, Doom 3 is a more realistic portrayal of the Doom story. Also I do happen to like Doom 3, but that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

In terms of Serious Sam, I prefer the original. Who needs all that eye candy anyway? (Heck, I still have the CDs of the First AND Second Encounter I bought at a discount from Overstock!)

Also, you can count your blessings that Mortal Kombat X was cartoony and not realistic. People would start complaining!

21 hours ago, x-Doping said:

Doom is not realistic and will never be realistic. Hope this helps.

Wasn't Serious Sam BFE the one that was recycled from an abandoned military FPS? 

5 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Well seeing as your a massive doom fan, you would understand that Doom itself is not very realistic. Shocking, I know. The point I was making was that, regardless of your opinion on the game, Doom 3 is a more realistic portrayal of the Doom story. Also I do happen to like Doom 3, but that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

OG Doom or Doom 2016?  OG Doom was considered hyper realistic *relative* to everything else around at the time.  Doom 2016 much less so.

Doom Eternal is more of a call back design-wise to the originals which obviously aren't very realistic *nowadays.*

Serious Sam BFE is the Sam game that had every ounce of character, style, and fun stripped from it unceremoniously so comparing it to anything that's remotely more outlandish is a moot point anyway.

Games like Doom and Wolf are thematically ridiculous and out there to begin with, so chiding them for not trying to shoe-horn gritty realism into those concepts just seems silly to me. Let these games have their own style and identity, not end up being yet another cookie-cutter AAA shooter for the sake of it.

6 hours ago, massivefanofdoom said:

Oh less cartoony alright .... it was darker than Ted Bundy's basement. But i guess ppl who prefer winter over summer must be the same ppl who prefer d3 over d1/2/final or even think its a classic (just my opinion and some banter, nothing personal to all who love d3 or winter :) )

I take winter and its dark nights over the bone-melting heat of the summer any day :p . Anyway, that analogy makes zero sense.

Also Doom was never realistic, even back when it came out it was perceived as "realistic" compared to what was around at the time, but in itself it didn't aim for realism through its design and premise. I mean, there's Soulspheres, Invulnerability Spheres, Possessed/Former Humans, Lost Souls, Hell, powers ups that allow the player to kill enemies with their bare hands, Spectral Armor pieces, and so on, the level of realism in Doom is just overwhelming.

That being said, D3 tried to present the story in a more realistic and much more serious fashion, with a very dark tone and strong sense of impeding doom and hopelessness, but that's about it. And D3 will achieve (if it hasn't already actually) classic status over time, much like its contemporaries such as HL2. The gameplay of those games is already considered old school nowadays.

It looks like bait, Poe's law though.

You know the only reason Serious Sam 3 is so gritty is because it never started life as Serious Sam 3 https://serioussam.fandom.com/wiki/T.E.O.R. also Serious Sam 3 is legitimately the odd one out of the series due to the artstyle, Seriously Serious Sam 3 is renowned for recycling most of its starting campaign from that cancelled game (therefore one asumes that is why Serious Sam 3 looks the odd way it does).

I'm sure if Doom 2016 was mainly recycled parts of the old Doom 4 it would be all that ugly grit you wanted, but it isn't, is it.

Edited by mrthejoshmon : That was a little harsh

Why SS2 got flack btw? It's actually looks nice, had one of the best physics and graphics of that time, and environment felt more comfy and thoughtful that isn't as blunt and empty 30 minutes of senseless walking in empty area like in First encounter. It looks dope, but so SS supposed to be dope, SS initially started as a joke game about your typical FPS doom clone. It doesn't have fun weapons like flamethrower and laser beam, sure, but it still looks and smells better than SS3.

9 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

So you are saying Doom was less fun than Wolfenstein 3D...

They became less fun after they started being realistic and gritty.

Doom was still very cartoony even by 1990s and even more so Doom 64 which arguably is one of the better games in the series.

When you really take a good look at the sprites and textures of classic doom, it's a lot more cartoony and vibrant than you think. I just don't understand why people are complaining about the new look because as far as I can tell it's nothing new at all.

16 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

They became less fun after they started being realistic and gritty.

Doom was still very cartoony even by 1990s and even more so Doom 64 which arguably is one of the better games in the series.

Doom 64 had some particularly goofy monster sprites, just look at the Mancubus and Cacodemon:

doom-64-cacodemon.jpg

latest?cb=20100328125109

5 hours ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Why SS2 got flack btw?

SS2 got flak because they pushed the memes and silliness introduced in The Second Encounter to the absolute limit. It was like Croteam were making a parody of their previous games and a lot of people were not on board with playing a painfully unfunny sequel to a game they enjoyed. The tone of The First Encounter was similar to the main Build Engine games in that there were occasional jokes and one-liners but the story and setting were played relatively straight. SS2 nearly tanked Croteam as a company and killed the Sam franchise. It was due to the success of the HD remakes that they were able to recover and SS3 did quite well. The devs have been taking the lore and world building (yes it exists) more Seriously since SS3 and SS4 looks like it will continue in that manner.