Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
indio

Mouselook or autoaim?

It really depends on my mood, I can do either competently though. I generally prefer freelooking in DM and no freelooking in SP, but it doesn't matter much at the end of the day.

Didn't expect this many people tbh, still thanks for all of the replies, I guess I'll just go autoaim when i'm playing vanilla, and mouselook when playing mods that benefit from it.

6 minutes ago, indio said:

Didn't expect this many people tbh, still thanks for all of the replies, I guess I'll just go autoaim when i'm playing vanilla, and mouselook when playing mods that benefit from it.

Do you, cool guy!

I use a trackball so I find autoaim/nofreelook to be a bit easier to wrangle, although years of playing other fps games have made me feel like I'm wearing a neckbrace.
That said, I'm trying to do away with the notion that free look is cheating and therefore undesirable because that's kind of a useless way to think when you're just trying to have fun. I guess I enjoy both, but right now autoaim is comfortable enough.

For me, Doom means Autoaim only.  If I want to be able to look up and down, I'll play a modern FPS.

But play whatever you prefer.

I personally like mouselook but I can respect people who don't want to use it. Though the autoaim is a bit annoying sometimes since you might just waste ammo shooting a wall. Let's also not forget about shooting rockets at your feet because there is this random demon it wants to lock onto but you wanted to shoot at the cacodemon.

The Elders of Doom sayeth: "Thou shall honour your Lord, Doom, by playing only with the righteous shackles imposed on the generations of players before you, for only then you can find True Salvation".

Ergo, full autoaim, infinite monster height, no freelook, keyboard only etc. ;-)

I'm a keyboarder since I played Heretic and Doom during my childhood, so I rely on autoaim. Horizontal autoaim is sometimes annoying, through, and it's often problem when vertical autoaim does not work on very long distances.

Depends on the wad/mods and port in play, but typically it's no freelook with autoaim on. Thankfully ZDoom lets you easily switch between "autoaim + no freelook" and "freelook + no autoaim" with an alias.

1 hour ago, Maes said:

The Elders of Doom sayeth: "Thou shall honour your Lord, Doom, by playing only with the righteous shackles imposed on the generations of players before you, for only then you can find True Salvation".

Ergo, full autoaim, infinite monster height, no freelook, keyboard only etc. ;-)

The elders have spoken! The true 3rd dimension is a crutch anyway.  I generally prefer auto aim warts and all just for the experience Doom just feels weird with mouselook.  That said I use the mouse to turn and shoot.

That said if someone likes mouselook they can go right ahead it doesn't hurt me.

Autoaim for me.  I guess always playing it that way since the 90's its just what I'm use too.  If I jump to something a bit newer like Quake though Mouselook

I prefer to play with autoaim for all my more serious gameplay. There is no official port of Doom with mouselook so I see playing Doom with mouselook/freelook same as playing Doom with any gameplay mod. I also have no desire to play any Doom maps that require freelook. But it is pretty fun to sometimes play Doom with freelook in more casual manner, just like it is fun to play sometimes with many other forms of modded Doom gameplay.

It is also more relaxing to play with autoaim and it makes Doom feel more unique, every game these days has a freelook. Autoaim makes Doom feel more like old school shoot em up and classic Doom has these days more in common with modern top-down twin-stick shooters than modern FPS-games.

Target prioritizing is very important during combat, so I prefer mouselooking. If the wad specifically requires no mouselook though, then I'll play something else with auto aim, because this means the mapper balanced the encounters with that in mind, maybe they want the ground monsters to tank for cacos, or to make some beefy Mancubi very hard to kill because they're high and you don't have a RL or Plasma yet.

I usually prefer the vanilla experience, so prefer horizontal aiming only. It makes the game play more like a twin stick shooter that just so happens to be first person instead of a traditional first person shooter. The only time I play with freelook is for GZDoom wads that are made with freelook in mind.

1 hour ago, Charlie Love said:

I usually prefer the vanilla experience, so prefer horizontal aiming only. It makes the game play more like a twin stick shooter that just so happens to be first person instead of a traditional first person shooter. The only time I play with freelook is for GZDoom wads that are made with freelook in mind.

I've said for years that Doom plays more like a twin stick shooter from a first person perspective than a proper FPS. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to see I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Mouselook no autoaim

Hate autoaim

Like to look around

Hit things at the right required hight

Don't like crosshair either