Aliens Trilogy

Medal of Honour 1

Bioshock

THE DARKNESS

Condemned

Fear

ION FURY

Resident Evil 7 (fpsish)

If I'm not playing classic Doom, I'm usually playing Insurgency or Red Orchestra. Back in the day I played a lot of Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike, and Firearms.

The only modern FPS game I've really gotten into besides Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal is Titanfall 2... I was not expecting it to be as good as it was. Wonderful game.

I'm not a big fan of fps if I'm being honest. I love doom is because I watched my dad play it when I was a kid, is simple to play but hard to master, and with the amount of fan made content out there I don't need to play any other game. 

Apart from many that were already mentioned I love an obscure oldie called Clive Barker's Undying. It's particularly noteworthy for the unusual "magic" weapons for a FPS, has unique fantasy/horror enemies (in that aspect it's not unlike Doom), and some creative puzzle bosses (although the last one is underwhelming). But it was a commercial fail so I'm not surprised it wasn't mentioned.

sMOD6TD.jpg

Another old FPS that has aged well if you consider that

In software mode it doesn't look like piss

Actually it looks like the first Quake and is very atmospheric 

Plus it makes the main menu identical to Q1's

I recommend the stylish 320x240 resolution in 4:3 ratio and adding a sepia filtre (I used Reshade for the latter)

The enemies ambushing and chasing you is a cool gameplay element

Edited by <<Rewind

17 hours ago, erzboesewicht said:

Apart from many that were already mentioned I love an obscure oldie called Clive Barker's Undying. It's particularly noteworthy for the unusual "magic" weapons for a FPS, has unique fantasy/horror enemies (in that aspect it's not unlike Doom), and some creative puzzle bosses (although the last one is underwhelming). But it was a commercial fail so I'm not surprised it wasn't mentioned.

Yes, Clive Barker's Undying is a criminally under-known game. I think everyone who's played it agrees that it's fantastic; especially if you played it around when it first came out. It's aged obviously, and it had some problems, but the atmosphere, the storytelling, and the combat were fantastic. Combining weapons with magic could lead to some very satisfying combinations. And it got pretty good reviews when it came out. I'm really not sure why it wasn't more popular. I still have my original discs, maybe I should try installing them on Windows 10 sometime. And then bash my head against a wall trying to get it to run properly on Windows 10.

But yeah, I was extremely excited when Clive Barker's Jericho was announced; I really didn't expect him to get involved with another videogame after Undying kind of fell flat. Then I played Jericho, and I wished he would've just left it at Undying.

Edited by Jello

On 10/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, Redneckerz said:

That's exactly why i do not get list threads. They never generate actual discussion, its often a question that's already been asked prior, and they are popular enough to run a few pages.

In general you will see most of the same names pop up, however. If the question was about underrated or obscure shooters, you would get answers that would be more detailed.

I am also utterly baffled at the popularity of these list threads. I suppose they get a lot of responses because listing your favourite things of a category without even aknowledging previous answers is a pretty low threshold for posting. Luckily, it's easy to identify the replies that have a bit more meat on the bone (spoiler: it's the ones containing full sentences), so I just skim for those and ignore the rest.

Spoiler

-Quake - obviously

-Unreal

-Half-Life 1 and 2

-Destiny 2 (don't hate me, but it has some of the most satisfying shooting in fps history)

-Blood

-Heretic

-Dusk (Honestly anything made by New Blood has been amazing)

-STALKER

-FEAR

-Metro Series

-SiN

-Overload

-Clive Barker's Undying

-Serious Sam

-Prey (both of them honestly)

-Dishonored (if it counts)

-The Spy Who Shot Me

-Hexen 2

-Project Warlock
-Titanfall 2

-Prodeus (again, obviously)

-Soldier of Fortune

Long list so spoilered to not take up as much room. There's probably more I've forgotten.

Not sure why everyone seems to be jumping on the hate train in regards to these list threads. Going through various lists here reminded me of some good old shooters I'd like to replay sometime. It's not necessary for every single thread to generate an in-depth discussion. Sometimes simple threads like this are enjoyable to read. If you don't like it, you can always move on to another thread that tickles your fancy, nobody is forcing you to read it. And snide remarks certainly don't do much to increase the quality of the thread, nor do they serve to generate a discussion.

Getting back on topic, am I the only one who never cared for Painkiller? The first one was okay at best, the sequels were terrible, and the remaster stripped half of the good maps from the game. I will never understand why this series still exists. The first one was the definition of a "dumb shooter". The music was metal, sure, but it was generic buttrock metal that mostly sounded the same. Weapons felt cheap, enemies had stupid AI, ragdolls constantly went spastic, many maps were uninspired, the "story" was weaker than the original Doom, and nothing about the game felt cohesive or intelligent. At the same time, it never did much to get my adrenaline going, as hard as it tried.

2 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Getting back on topic, am I the only one who never cared for Painkiller? 

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Painkiller. The weapons are good, sure, but Serious Sam mops the floor with it in every other regard. I honestly feel like a ton of people jumped on loving it after Yahtzee said he liked it.

11 minutes ago, <<Rewind said:

VH9NNXs.jpg

Gotta catch 'em all

Sweet, a time traveller. You can tell me if Scorn, halo infinite, and Witchfire have been worth the wait :P

Good list otherwise though.

All Doom engine games (including many community TCs like Harmony, Castlevania, ROTT TC etc.), all major Build engine games (Duke, Blood, Redneck, SW) + NAM + community TCs (i didn't play Ion Fury yet), Unreal 1 and 2, Half-life series, Stalker series, some Lithtech engine games (Shogo, NOLF), Quake 2 (though i play it as TPS, not FPS), RTCW.

Recently downloaded Open Fortress and holy fuck am I in love with that. It's like Quake 3 with bits and pieces from other classic FPS and it's perfect.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:58 PM, Omniarch said:

I am also primarily a strategy gamer (RTS, Grand Strategy, Turn-Based, the lot), though I also enjoy the occasional Souls-like. What strategy games do you enjoy?

Anything that has an interplay of strategy and tactics. I've put the most hours into mods for Rome 1 and Med 2 Total War. I recently started a Ptolemaic campaign in Roma Surrectum 3 and, god, it's still so good. And I'll play any classic 2d RTS. (I think Cossacks is my favorite).

I never felt as drawn to stuff that doesn't 'zoom in', grand strategy like EU, CK, HOI, Civ, etc. That might just be an accident of my habit, though.

Advance Wars 1 & 2, also Wesnoth and its precursor Master of Monsters. I'd like to get around to Wargroove soon.

I'm also deeply into tactical RPG's. I'm currently playing Pool of Radiance for the first time and loving it. I might have beaten Fallout 1 ten times.

All of which is to say -- Doom is so diverse and satisfying that it keeps my list of adjacent games surprisingly short, compared to other genres. My backlog of Doom content that I want to play calls to me much more strongly than other FPS games. Despite being a strident curmudgeon I do think I'd enjoy Doom Eternal but with my limited gaming time I'm much more interested in working through the Cacowards.

Oh and @<<Rewind thanks for the recommendation. That'll be high on my trying-to-play list.

Edited by Aaron Blain

30 minutes ago, Aaron Blain said:

Anything that has an interplay of strategy and tactics. I've put the most hours into mods for Rome 1 and Med 2 Total War. I recently started a Ptolemaic campaign in Roma Surrectum 3 and, god, it's still so good. And I'll play any classic 2d RTS. (I think Cossacks is my favorite).

I've sunk a truly ungodly number of hours into Rome 1. It, alongside Empire Earth (I & II), took up the majority of my childhood gaming time. Earlier this year I actually got back into it for a while, playing a very good mod that I can't remember the name of right now. Of all the factions, I always liked the Seleucids the best, due to an interesting campaign and good unit variety, and all these years later the silver-clad underdogs are still fun as hell to play.

Medieval 2 is also an old favourite of mine, though I have not played it anywhere near as extensively as RTW. Same goes for Empire Total War.

When it comes to classic RTS, Total Annihilation takes the win, for me. I only found the game about five years ago, but I wish I had known about it sooner. I am also very fond of TA's spiritual successor, Supreme Commander, though I found it too taxing for multiplayer. I've dabbled in C&C and Starcraft, but never really got invested in them. Far too twitchy for my liking.

The only Cossacks game I've played is the third installment, which I actually enjoyed alot, but at that stage my interest in RTS had declined significantly in favour of Grand Strategy and 4X.

41 minutes ago, Aaron Blain said:

All of which is to say -- Doom is so diverse and satisfying that it keeps my list of adjacent games surprisingly short, compared to other genres. My backlog of Doom content that I want to play calls to me much more strongly than other FPS games. Despite being a strident curmudgeon I do think I'd enjoy Doom Eternal but with my limited gaming time I'm much more interested in working through the Cacowards.

This. The community's output really is astonishing, in both quantity and variety. Doom is also the first game I've played that I actually feel I can make custom content for, since all my old favourites simply lack the tools necessary for easy content creation.

The thing is, Doom has such a satisfying strategic dimension that you don't tend to get as much in other shooter games.

Something I've been bitching a lot about lately is what I'm calling "pre-populated continuous encounter space". It was generally taken for granted in 90's PC games that you could sting and fade, that the player and the enemies and the resources were all mixed and flowing in a continuously interactive persistent level. I look at modern shooter games based apparently around set-pieces and "Story Telling", and I shake my head in disbelief and go "What the fuck is this? This is fucking Duck Hunt." (I know that's not always the case -- the trend toward open worlds has done some great things, etc.)

And a lot has been said about the retro resource/pickup model that was gradually abandoned starting with Halo. My stance is more complicated than "regenerating health is evil", but it's important that Doom is very much like an RTS.

So, my long answer is I like FPS games that have these kindred strategic/tactical dimensions that are so central to Doom. Mostly stuff from the 90's but I try to be open-minded.

Med 2 was the tipping point where Total War became entirely superficial and went downhill. Med 2 mods were already more about graphics and novelty, but there's still some great gameplay there. But Rome 1 is still king for me as well.

I just bought TA on GOG based on your recommendation. Always meant to get into it, and I like the similar resource model in Cossacks. Can you name a favorite grand strategy game? I got CK 1 on sale on GOG but have yet to sink my teeth into it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

I keep coming back to this game. There's nothing else quite like it (other than the 2 sequels, obviously). It's like Silent Hill at times in terms of the atmosphere. I feel a genuine sense of trepidation when playing the game.

It's not perfect by any means, and depending on your hardware you'll experience bugs and crashes, but there are mods that can help to stabilise the game. The graphics are still very impressive and there are countless mods that enhance the visuals. The controls are a bit clunky but you get used to it.

Brilliant game. 10/10

On 11/17/2020 at 1:35 PM, <<Rewind said:

Wic8Taw.jpg

Updated my list of liked first person shooters. Added Age Of Hell, Doom and Hellscreen, removed NOLF2 and Heretic.

Overall I would say that I like exclusively shooters that stem from Doom 2 somehow. Something fast paced where you fight monsters and not people. Strictly about shooting and not about story. I have an aversion to 2000's games which just feel like a bad time, even though No One Lives Forever 2 has great music and comedy.

Halo Infinite and Witchfire have more modern FPS gameplay but somehow I sense in them promising Doom DNA.

Too many, far too many to count. Let's go anyway!

Besides Doom...

Wolf3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Quake 1, 2, 3 Arena, 4

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Jedi Outcast/MotS (JA too though it's barely an FPS)

Unreal and Unreal Tournament

Heretic

Duke Nukem 3D, Forever/Shadow Warrior/Blood

Half-Life

Serious Sam

Postal 2 (1 is top down, not fps)

Far Cry 1-4 & Blood Dragon (haven't played the newest ones)

Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2 ('04/'05)

Republic Commando

Crysis

Medal of Honor (Allied Assault, Airborne, '10), Men of Valor (Vietnam shooter also by 2015)

Battlefield 1942, Bad Company 2, 3 (Haven't played Vietnam, 2, or 4, which also look good)

Bioshock

Titanfall 2

Let's see...

• Half-Life, and it's respective expansions (Opposing Force is a personal favorite of mine)
  • Half-Life 2 and it's episodic additions.
  • Black Mesa.
  • Quake and it's official map packs.
  • Quake II and it's expansions.
  • System Shock and System Shock 2.
  • Void Bastards.
  • The Star Wars Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games.
  • Star Wars: Republic Commando (Need to play this again at some point.)
  • Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force (Need to figure out how to get this working on Windows 10.
  • Deus Ex.
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl.
  • Chernobylite (It's still in early access/development but it's interesting so far.)
  • Team Fortress 2.
  • Left 4 Dead 2.
  • Garry's Mod (Not sure if this actually counts or not to be honest.)
  • E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy.
  • Killing Floor and Killing Floor 2.
  • Unreal Tournament: Game Of The Year Edition.
  • Unreal: Gold.
  • Unreal Tournament 2003/2004.
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order.
  • Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil. (Cerebral Bore FTW.)
  • Metro 2033 (Need to finish this game at some point.)
  • Space Hulk: Deathwing (Same.)
  • SiN: Gold.