Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thermal Lance

Which sourceport do you use the most and why?

PRBoom+ usually, I just like it a lot and it's compatible with almost all wads I'm interested in

When I feel like playing with mods I use LZDoom because it lets me play on 320x240 and lags less than GZDoom

And from time to time I play some wads on GZDoom, I always liked that port, it's amazing and I love how it behaves

4 minutes ago, URROVA said:

Also, i beaten B4NM. Because.

What B4NM stands for?

i see that on another thread too but it meaning baffles me :S

7 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Terrywads.

Uh, do you know that there are terrywads for vanilla right?

So DooM is bad >:((((((

8 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

What B4NM stands for?

i see that on another thread too but it meaning baffles me :S

Before the nightmare. A terry megawad by terry himself. Full of SOMEMONG juice.

Also has good danmaku patterns. Terry can be good making danmakufu scripts.

Edited by URROVA

5 minutes ago, URROVA said:

Before the nightmare. A terry megawad by terry himself. Full of SOMEMONG

Oh i know the wad, but out of context i didn't get the initials :P

Thanks for answering, pal!

35 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

was responsible for some really bad maps in Waves of the Undead being even worse, because they were so buggy and I didn't know, because I was using ZDoom.

Ok, if you want to make wads for vanilla test with chocolate, and if you want to make for GZDoom, test with GZDoom, is like making a GZDoom map but testing with the Eternity Engine. If you want to map for some engine, test with that engine, no with other.

Even though I prefer DoomsDay (mostly because I'm a bit of a nutjob when it comes to push the IdTech1's graphics) I use GZDoom the most because many of my favorite mods, for example Blade of Agony, are GZDoom-based

If i just wanna play something i use GZDoom but since nowadays i map much more than play other peoples stuff my most used port is Chocolate Heretic since i playtest on it :D

I just hate GZDoom, too much customization, return to tradition, blah blah blah, I'm mad and I don't know why. Too much overdetailing and stuff in the Doom community, GZDoom is hard to use and doesn't even have too much to offer with gameplay unless you dump custom monsters from Realm667 and maybe use the stealth monsters.

12 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

I just hate GZDoom, too much customization, return to tradition, blah blah blah, I'm mad and I don't know why. Too much overdetailing and stuff in the Doom community, GZDoom is hard to use and doesn't even have too much to offer with gameplay unless you dump custom monsters from Realm667 and maybe use the stealth monsters.

Can you please stop derailing the thread?

Its not about you hating something just for hating it.

we already get you didn't like it.

Thanks!

Now, move on.

I know the OP specifically said they don't want a debate, but the only halfway-kinda-not-really legitimate grievance with GZDoom is that it does encourage some bad mapping practices for those who maybe would want universal compatibility, but simply don't know the ins and outs of Doom.

For instance, it erases things like meduas and tutti frutti - which I would argue is a good thing in some ways as it reduces hassle for mappers, but for the sake of encouraging people to map The Right Way™, it can arguably do more harm than good by letting mappers get away with murder, so to speak. Whether or not one finds this general phenomenon a good thing is entirely subjective - it's good in that it makes life easier for mappers, but bad in that it encourages you to do things in a way that's only guaranteed to work with GZDoom, leading to maps that could work with Vanilla or PrBoom or whatever not working artificially.

GZDoom, because it gives me choice.

* If I want vanilla looks, I can set custom scaling all the way down to 320x200 with the appropriate aspect ratio setting, disable all filtering and interpolation, and set Software mode lighting in the OpenGL renderer or use the Software renderer.

* If I want smoothly moving monsters and high resolution, but only mipmap filtering and NormalNX upscaling, I can have that. BlacOps and various sprite-fix and cut-content-readding mods help here.

* If I want to crank up the xBRz filtering, it's there. I want ambient occlusion? Okay, now we're hitting the limits of my FX-8800p APU, but I can still use low quality and 0-1 AO Portals. Multisampling? Yeah, save that for the i5-4460 and GTX 950, and there it's pretty unnoticeable in vanilla at my native 1920x1200 res.

* If I want to play mods, GZDoom supports pretty much anything I've thrown at it...  if not always all at of them at the same time.

If I want to play Heretic, or Hexen (...I think I hit a bug where the 1st hub's second stairs would rise, tho, haven't confirmed), or Chex Quest, Adventures of Square, Strife, or even HacX, I can do it from one engine. I'm not so familiar with vanilla vs GZDoom behavior differences and aside from that possible Hexen bug, I don't really care, the game is playable and enjoyable.

Same thing continues for sound -- I can use FM Synthesis (sorry, but I don't give a **** if it doesn't sound exactly like the card you grew up with, and you gotta have the aged, analogue-parts-don't-even-sound-like-they-should-anymore real hardware -- you know what I grew up with? IBM PC speaker. The bit-exact-from-the-chip emulation is good enough for me), or a soundfont, or allegedly even GUS patches (this just comes out as noise in 4.5 for me, both Linux and Windows, but then GUS doesn't really excite me in Doom anyway). Or I can use the 3DO music, or PS1 music, or in Windows just output to VirtualMIDISynth where I keep a Creative 8MB font, Timbres of Heaven, and a symphonic font stacked. I'm spoiled for choice, really.

I don't play multiplayer, so no Zandronum needed here.

If I want to play a wad that uses software renderer bugs that GZDoom has done away with... Chocolate Doom or Crispy Doom.

I had an annoying experience with Doomsday that I don't recall the details off and, in any case, it was too visually slick for my tastes. I grew up on MS-DOS 5.0, I like my command lines! :)

3 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

GZDoom has never struck me as hard to use, even in the pre-4.0 days. But, if it bothers you, 4.5 defaults to having a simplified options menu.

As far as offering gameplay... that's up to the mod. GZDoom supports DECORATE and several varieties of scripting.

Crispy Doom, because crispy. Seriously, it has so many QoL features whilst still managing to feel retro. Sure it can only run vanilla and limit-removing maps, but I mostly only play those anyway, so its not really an issue for me.

For Boom/MBF-compatible wads I use PrBoom+ with its settings adjusted to make it feel as Crispy as possible. I've also done the same with Eternity, so I can play Valiant and Eviternity with their intended episodic structure due to EMAPINFO. That and I really like EE's software renderer, it really brings out the best in highly-polished wads like those two.

I only really use GZDoom (again, Crispy-fied) to play wads with Final Doomer, or in the rare instances where I feel like playing UDMF wads.

Chocolate, Retro and the new UMAPINFO branch of PrBoom+ are mostly niche ports for me, though all interesting in their own ways.

10 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

GZDoom [...] doesn't even have too much to offer with gameplay unless you dump custom monsters from Realm667 and maybe use the stealth monsters.

I argue the opposite. GZDoom has ACS scripting, which allows the creation of gameplay scenarios that aren't possible in other ports, even to the extent of entire custom game modes and minigames. Not to mention DECORATE and its successor ZScript. We wouldn't have Stronghold for one thing if those features had never existed. Even barring those options, you can still make plenty interesting gameplay in GZDoom. Just because a feature is available doesn't mean you have to use it.

On a completely different note, while I somewhat understand your animosity towards GZDoom, you could at least try and respect it for what it is. It's brought a lot of good things into the community, and it's one of the first ports that many newcomers try out to boot. Understanding and accepting that is the least you can do.

GZDoom is my second most used engine. It is worth it for the mod support alone. I will never understand the GZDoom hate train. I mean, sure, it's not the greatest choice ever for a purist. But, for what it is, it has one hell of a punch.

I’m glad after all these years the arguments about GZDoom haven’t gone away

I don’t really have a standard, and I guess I just like to go with whatever bare minimum the map is optimized for. If it takes advantage of GZDoom’s features I’ll play it with GZDoom. If it uses Boom actions I’ll go with PRBoom+. If it’s vanilla compatible I might just try putting it on my 486 PC and playing it legit ;)

I use GZDoom, mostly because it's so tweakable and moddable. While I do like the vanilla experience, I got plenty of that on console ports before I graduated to PC gaming, and now I want to bask in the joy of futzing about with mods.

I don't really like Doomsday, though, because all the 3D feels like a bridge too far for me. I guess I do have a streak of purist in me after all, since the charm of the sprites and the simpler geometry is one of the things I love most about Doom and IdTech1 games in general. Guess that's why I stick to Doom and don't have much interest in Quake.

I used ZDoom exclusively for many years, then GZDoom. I found they satisfied all my Doom needs. Very recently, I replayed The Ultimate Doom + SIGIL, and while I played E1 on GZDoom, I decided to mix things up for the other episodes, and played E2 on DOSBox, E3 and E4 on Chocolate Doom, and SIGIL on Crispy Doom. I liked using these other source ports (and DOSBox) as they offered a more vanilla type of experience. I used OPL music as I found I missed it, after not having played the game with it since the nineties or early noughties. It took a while to get used to the blurrier look of Chocolate, Crispy and DOSBox, but it was a nice change of pace and I'm going to keep mixing things up for source ports.

Last year I was watched a video of John Romero playing Doom, and he was using Doomsday. I'd tried it before, but the Romero video motivated me to use it again. I really like the look and the visual effects it has, but I found the keyboard inputs had a slight delay in being registered, compared to GZDoom, which really bothered me and I couldn't continue using it. I don't know what the reason was for that problem, but I'm going to give it another try one of these days. It's got a cool look. The interface is also a thing of beauty.

I use lzdoom for most of my duties since I don't own a beefy pc atm plus a few mods that keep things vanilla but enhance a few details like mirrored corpses.  

But I do use crispy doom/doom retro for even more vanilla play if the pwad prefers it. 

PrBoom+ and Crispy are my preferred.  I used to use ZDoom and the software renderer for wads that needed Zdoom, have mostly switched to GZDoom now.  The only reason I dislike the zdoom ports is the lack of backward compatibility for people doing weird workarounds (which I'm fine with from a software dev perspective, but makes it annoying to need to figure out what version number you need for certain wads).

GZDoom for the smoothness, look, features, audio system, and unconstrained forward thinking, and PrBoom/Eternity when recording demos, playing slaughter maps, and when the ZDoom RNG makes my head spin.

10 hours ago, Thermal Lance said:

I will never understand the GZDoom hate train. I mean, sure, it's not the greatest choice ever for a purist. But, for what it is, it has one hell of a punch.

I think it's more understandable (to some degree) when you start to map for non-ZDoom formats. Calling it a purist issue is oversimplify the problem imo. GZDoom have it's own strenghts but it's also the most flawed port for universal compatibility. It doesn't help that players may try to give feedback with gameplay mods without realizing that even freelook may alter the intended gameplay flow in some way or another. While it's an awesome pack of features for players, it can also be an annoyance for modders who are trying to make something consistent for everyone, not only for GZdoom. At least that's the impression I have.

Edited by Noiser

GZDoom has become my port of choice for single player more recently now that I have a much better PC than I’ve ever had in my entire life. Under the settings I have, there’s little to no noticeable difference between it and vanilla. 

Before this, I was mostly using Chocolate Doom, then Crispy Doom. 

Edited by Gerolf

GZDoom doesn't quite mimic the feel and physics of the vanilla controls and in my opinion thats the most distinctive factor here. It's not incredible from a purist standpoint, but the modern acclamation and optimizations this port has displayed through the years earns it certain respect. I also believe that for many people who didn't start with the original vanilla games, GZdoom is often very accessible and easy to configure and use.

My favorite classic-style port is Crispy

I use that and PrBoom+ the most at the moment

4 hours ago, DoomedFox said:

I use lzdoom for most of my duties since I don't own a beefy pc atm plus a few mods that keep things vanilla but enhance a few details like mirrored corpses.  

But I do use crispy doom/doom retro for even more vanilla play if the pwad prefers it. 

Thank you for mentioning LZDoom. My own current PC is complete garbage and now LZDoom let me play mods (Brutal Doom even.) at a glorious resolution of 320x240!

By the way, why do some people dislike and even hate Gzdoom? sure it's not the most purist port, but, as it has the widest mod support, you can run a lot of comunnity-made mods if your source port of choice is not compatible. In my opinion, playing through Gzdoom, Lzdoom or even the original zdoom and it's derived ports is the best way to increase the comunity interactions. If the source code was released, it was released so fans could implement any changes they want, and GZDoom is one of the best options for this.