Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
haruko haruhara

the doom community is not the same anymore.

before you say what do you mean im not talking about zedaemon nor any deathmatch sourceport im talking about "skulltag singleplayer coop invasion" etc people don't make them anymore i can list the wads.

all tho some things can't be remade because they are legendary for being what they are but maybe i want more here is a list i want to play a wad with custom weapons and skulltag monsters i don't care if skulltag is dead thats something i had enough hearing thats why i am making it but i have some troubles with mapping.

coop/singleplayer:

hell after dreams

swan fox

doom barracks zone (all tho dbz was for zedaemon but it counts as st for me)

legacy of suffering

horror wads the real ones like nightmare maze 5 something that are not shit like ghosted 2 and those very pouplar crap mods that everybody goes crazy over skulltag horror wads are better and thats the fact.

you get what im saying mods from 2010s are better and 2000s i am talking about around 2007 to 9 .

i mostly just want to talk to people about these mods and they are so good and nobody likes them the only thing you see being made is with gzdoom im getting sick and tired of gzdoom i only like a few mods for gzdoom aiwwac 2 and wads by angel neko x and hevn demonic you don't know what i had to deal with in the zdoom forum and the discord ok i will stop now this thread became more of a venting thread then anything but please talk to me and talk about these mods with me i would love to have a partner with making them too.

I do remember LOS which is an awesome wad, but I never completed it.

There's also:

❄ Barrels Of Doom which sadly has been lost due to the original site that has changed

❄ Perfect DOOM which suffered the same fate

I do have others, but I forget the names of them. It's been forever since I played those

Yeah, I agree, but for a totally different reason, which I won't mention. People not caring about old stuff is the most normal thing. People would get tired of playing the same stuff over and over gain.

I have never heard about these mods nor played them, but GZDoom is basically more advanced than Skulltag, so therefore it's not GZDoom's or Skulltag's fault. GZDoom has some impressive features, but I think Skulltag has just been around for longer than GZDoom, therefore I think people had more time to make the best with Skulltag than they could with GZDoom.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:52 AM, haruko haruhara said:

you get what im saying

No, I really do not think I do.

Are you saying you prefer old mods?

Things change and evolve. That's life. The quality of the output of this community, from retro styled designs to GZDoom masterpieces and everything in between is simply amazing in my book.

14 hours ago, Murdoch said:

No, I really do not think I do. 

Are you saying you prefer old mods? 

Things change and evolve. That's life. The quality of the output of this community, from retro styled designs to GZDoom masterpieces and everything in between is simply amazing in my book. 

I agree, however we still play a game from 1993 and the fact that we have something like GZDoom is just great!

I remember skulltag's Invasion mode on back in the day (particularly Alpha/Delta Invasion and Invasion Unleashed) those were a blast to play back in the day, i always wondered happened to that gamemode

also you mention Doom Barracks Zone, I remember playing that a lot too years ago, though those railgunner enemies are annoying

I'm going to mention more wads because I don't think I have mentioned enough

Hell After Dreams v3.5

Hell After Dreams 2

Swan fox 

Swan fox 2

Resurrection of doom 2

Armageddon 2 Invasion

Futur war Invasion

Chaos from hell invasion

Hell legacy v140

Strain

Neodoom

Aiwwac 2

Demon eclipse

Acton doom

Action doom 2

Boss battles v17 an v35st

Beyond reality

Corrupt world

Tkhq

Doom barracks zone

Destination89

Temple of the lizardmen wads

Evilstar

Fsrhq wads

Flesh season

GoldenEye TC

Golden souls

Serious Sam the retro encounter

Serious Sam the ultimate encounter

Serious Sam the simple encounter

Hga2

Jua45

Hotline uac

Invasion unleashed and los

Mass mouth 2

Nightmare maze wads

Order kill all beta

Prodoomer

Rainbow factory

Rampage

Save the earth

Science Hazard

Super skulltag

Dead silence 1

The hotel

The hotel lost contact

Touhou doom

Tribute

Unloved 

Unloved 2

Vgpinvasion

Violent senruobso

Winters fury

Zendyn x

In claws of mishgtun

Zblood

Zbloody hell

Doom space

Revenge of the 90s

Roudy Rudy

Roudy Rudy 2

Doomed space

Zero Invasion 

This is starting to sound like more of a list of the mods and maps you like, since the maps and mods you mentioned on your first post are enough to get your point across IMO.

agreed, it hasnt been the same... the community has been able to put out even better quality projects than ever before thanks to advancements in source ports and Level Editors.

Its no surprise why last year's cacowards was stacked and im hoping more GZDoom mods are made.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:52 PM, haruko haruhara said:

before you say what do you mean im not talking about zedaemon nor any deathmatch sourceport im talking about "skulltag singleplayer coop invasion" etc people don't make them anymore

Because Skulltag became Zandronum and has had most modes of Skulltag as an addon. So if people don't make Skulltag Singleplayer, Co-op and Invasion wads anymore than the answer is obvious.

You know this aswell btw.

all tho some things can't be remade because they are legendary for being what they are but maybe i want more here is a list i want to play a wad with custom weapons and skulltag monsters i don't care if skulltag is dead thats something i had enough hearing thats why i am making it but i have some troubles with mapping.

So you want a WAD with:

• Custom weapons
  • Skulltag monsters (Available in the Skulltag legacy packages)

And then have troubles with:

• Mapping

Is that what this boils down to?

i mostly just want to talk to people about these mods and they are so good and nobody likes them

No, people's tastes change. You are tired of hearing it but because Skulltag is dead, the discussion around its mods also dwindles. Everyone from Skulltag has moved on to its successor, or went to a different port, like Odamex or ZDaemon.

That's all there is to it. It has nothing to do with that ''nobody likes them'' and everything to do with that Skulltag is a historical package and not a current one.

the only thing you see being made is with gzdoom im getting sick and tired of gzdoom

That's because GZDoom is a current package unlike Skulltag which is a historical/legacy package.

If you are sick and tired of that, then you obviously should know that the latest versions of Skulltag actually used GZDoom's GL renderer. So the two have more relation to eachother than you may think.

As an aside i am aware of your struggles in other places but this resolves primarily around the impression that you are fixated to see Skulltag as a current platform when its not a current platform to begin with. Its a legacy platform, plain and simple.

3 hours ago, haruko haruhara said:

I'm going to mention more wads because I don't think I have mentioned enough

Some of these aren't Skulltag exclusives and more made for older, ZDoom 1.x based releases. I don't see why this was needed.

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

agreed, it hasnt been the same... the community has been able to put out even better quality projects than ever before thanks to advancements in source ports and Level Editors.

Its no surprise why last year's cacowards was stacked and im hoping more GZDoom mods are made.

Indeed. but what OP wants is having the mods  and wads exclusively to Skulltag back from the Skulltag days.. besides the fact that most Skulltag modes work in Zandronum and Zandronum has an impressive list of mods of its own.

And then there are GZDoom titles like Selaco and Supplice that highlight how far GZDoom games are coming along. All in all, its amazing that in 2021, 1993 rendering paradigms still power new and exciting games to play. A true testament to the longevity of Doom.

Edited by Redneckerz

Last time I checked Doom Explorer Archiinvasion, Complex Doom and MM8BDM were still among the most played mods.

10 minutes ago, Angered man said:

True but I feel like it has been recently killed due to the unreleased doom assets abracadabra controversy

If you really think a little bs like that is going to kill the Doom community then I've got some news for you, we've weathered far worse storms and we're still standing. Something as petty as some unused rotations is not going to make the world topple over.

Now, the issue at hand, @haruko haruhara : I really can't say much other than what people like Redneckerz and above have said. I love Skulltag as much as the next person but it's a port that has been retired and therefore will not gain much traction with new mods, it's throwing good money after bad, so to speak. 
If you're sick of GZDoom wads, guess what? There's still a whole world of vanilla, limit removing, and- get this- skulltag wads! All you gotta do is look in /idgames. They're there and there's plenty of them. 
This is nothing to do with the Doom community and everything to do with your own tastes. You're free to share your opinions about what kinds of mods you like to play but don't expect everyone to like them too. 

PS Winter's Fury is a GZDoom WAD. you're already invalidating your list and your gripes.

Yes, the community is not the same anymore. This is how you know the community is alive: it changes with time. If it didn't change, it'd be dead.

This is especially relevant in the multiplayer scene, because by definition it does not depend solely on what a single player likes, but on what the majority of the players like. Perhaps you could find a few guys who've been playing DWANGO 5 every day for over twenty six years, but most people will get tired of the same thing after a while and move on to something else. Even outside of Doom, this is true; the most-played multiplayer games change regularly; going from team shooters like Counterstrike or TF2 to MOBA like DOTA or LOL to battle royale like Fortnite to what's the rage now, Among Us and Fall Guys?

3 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

If you really think a little bs like that is going to kill the Doom community then I've got some news for you, we've weathered far worse storms and we're still standing. Something as petty as some unused rotations is not going to make the world topple over.

Pretty sure the guy's just trolling, judging by his last posts here.

Classic Doom Multiplayer is unpopular nowadays, but you will probably find people to play your favorite mods with if you ask around discord, host a server, join then idle a little, make a thread in mp forum and you'll have more chances of finding players.

Edited by sluggard

On 1/29/2021 at 11:24 PM, Kore said:

People would get tired of playing the same stuff over and over gain.

Funny because that's more or less what the Zandronum community has been doing for the last decade.

45 minutes ago, Angered man said:

True but I feel like it has been recently killed due to the unreleased doom assets abracadabra controversy

the biggest over reaction of the century.

36 minutes ago, Angered man said:

it has been recently killed

Copying and pasting this answer of mine:

I am pretty sure that people of Auckland in New Zealand, antipodal to my land, are hearing me laughing right now.

Classic bait post, multiplayer is still enjoyable with mods, it just depends on your tastes, skulltag is dead and it's original ideas will eventually become popular again, somehow, and then people will start playing some wads for them in zandronum, then they'll die again.

What's exactly stopping you from hosting servers running these stuff in Zandronum?
If you can't host yourself, TSPG is always a good free option.

"but nobody wanna play..."

If people see a server with somebody on it, they are likely to join.
I joined an empty Shotgun Frenzy server the other day with a friend, and 10 other people joined in the following 30 minutes.

4 hours ago, Diabolución said:

I am pretty sure that people of Auckland in New Zealand, antipodal to my land, are hearing me laughing right now.

Yeah I can hear you :D

*edit
I organised a round of Satans Coveneant survival invasion a couple weeks ago and had 15-20 people playing the whole time and I have plans to do an invasion Mapwich spin off project. And I know of at least 1 other brand new invasion project in the works

5 hours ago, Gez said:

Perhaps you could find a few guys who've been playing DWANGO 5 every day for over twenty six years

I feel personally called out by this post.

(lol)

5 hours ago, Diabolución said:

That was you?

But yeah the idea you can kill a 27 year old gaming community over something so trivial isn't even a funny troll. Try again @Angered man.

But there is still Skulltag content that gets played... Stuff like GvH, RGA, Master of Puppets, and Who Dun It still have people playing them; maybe not as many people as years ago or not as frequent as in older times, but there are still people who are willing to play Skulltag-era content. I think there is a lot of stuff from that era, though, that hasn't aged well for sure (Skulltag itself hasn't for sure). Revisiting some of this content recently has shown me how much the standard for the quality of content has increased over the years. It's only unfortunate that there aren't as many people around for multiplayer and I think that is something that could have it's own entirely separate and expanded discusssion (especially for PvP), but at least survival and co-op game modes remain in focus in multiplayer with all of the content that still gets produced and played in those modes. I can only wish, though, that more map packs were built with additional emphasis upon multiplayer experiences as well as for single player experiences (kind of like Memento Mori did).

On 1/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, haruko haruhara said:

before you say what do you mean im not talking about zedaemon nor any deathmatch sourceport im talking about "skulltag singleplayer coop invasion" etc people don't make them anymore i can list the wads.

coop/singleplayer:

hell after dreams

swan fox

doom barracks zone (all tho dbz was for zedaemon but it counts as st for me)

legacy of suffering

horror wads the real ones like nightmare maze 5 something that are not shit like ghosted 2 and those very pouplar crap mods that everybody goes crazy over skulltag horror wads are better and thats the fact.

you get what im saying mods from 2010s are better and 2000s i am talking about around 2007 to 9 .

i mostly just want to talk to people about these mods and they are so good and nobody likes them the only thing you see being made is with gzdoom im getting sick and tired of gzdoom i only like a few mods for gzdoom aiwwac 2 and wads by angel neko x and hevn demonic you don't know what i had to deal with in the zdoom forum and the discord ok i will stop now this thread became more of a venting thread then anything but please talk to me and talk about these mods with me i would love to have a partner with making them too.

Skulltag is still the best Doom source port.

Well you guys do have a point but I don't have many friends who is willing to play multiplayer but once in awhile me and Yuki senmatsu play and we always have fun but sometimes I want other people to join too and that list I made had nothing to do with the first post I just thought I'd mention old zdoom and gzdoom too