• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Cydonia & Arrival

Here are the two secret levels...

MAP 31 – Night Terrors by Brayden Hart @AD_79

DSDA-Doom v0.24.3, UV, Continuous, blind run w/saves

Night Terrors was not the map it promised to be. Demons might have been toying with Doomguy, but in truth it was AD_79 that went for radical design choices I perceived as outright deceptive. The title foreshadowed dangers lurking in the dark, a sensation that was immediately confirmed by the starting scene and the first skirmishes in dimly lit areas. Not true, since very soon I found myself unable to proceed. An essential switch mocked me from a platform unreachable by strafe jumping, with only the exit to MAP16 available after pressing the “GIVE UP?” button. Even finding the secret automap did not give any useful hints about the progression.

Spoiler

1406849327_CydoniaMAP31.jpg.0b4ddf85959a27c83cbfb79b0a46a9d1.jpg

An Arch-Vile jump was meant to take me up there, but the only available propeller lay on the floor in a pool of blood. I IDCLIPped to the switch to visit the next section, where the leitmotif stayed the same: Arch-Viles must be spared and lured into a specific monster-only teleporter (one of them was completely invisible), so that they could increase Doomguy’s acrobatic capabilities. There was even a mandatory rocket jump at some point. I looked at GarrettChan’s video and I wondered if he just studied the map on the editor, to get the rationale behind the numerous cryptic steps, or if he invested hours in trial and error to learn what to do. For me, the second approach was simply impossible, and the first equaled the choice of giving up. So, I gave up for good, and will be pistol starting MAP32 out of curiosity. My continuous playthrough will resume from MAP16. I was disappointed with my experience of Night Terrors, as it felt like a puzzle without clues, requiring the complete prescience of everything. Any mistake was punished by being stuck, and eventually with death (i.e., falling in the inescapable blood). Not for me, and not user-friendly at all.

MAP 32 – Get On It by Alex Scott @Scotty

DSDA-Doom v0.24.3, UV, Pistol Start, blind run w/saves

Here we have the obligatory homage to Go 2 It, the ancestor of the slaughter genre and the main reason why most Doom fans think that MAP32 should contain one of the toughest and hardest levels of a megaWAD. I am a great fan of Plutonia gameplay, but I am not singing praises of this specific legacy. Coming to Get On It, Scotty did a good job at creating a level that replicated the gameplay of the IWAD classic without exceeding its monster count, perhaps even improving it a bit. Pistol starting made me appreciate the ammo balance, which was generous but not excessive for slaying the 252 mid- or high-tier monsters, moderately increasing the original number.

I ran straight ahead and collected all weapons and backpack, including the BFG that enraged even more monsters. With a full arsenal but only a lot of cells and some shells, I dodged Pinkies and entered the southern courtyard, where I escaped on a ledge, I killed Arch-Viles and Arachnotrons there, then I made a stand against everything that reached me there. The enemies were surprisingly unable to climb the stairs, so holding the ground was easier than expected. I killed everything else on the level before proceeding further to the south, where the YSK and BSK were acquired after dealing with a cloud of Cacodemons and Pain Elementals, and an interesting Baron & Cyberdemon infight scheme. Shaping this area like the ruined Gatekeeper chamber in The Gateway of Hell was a nice touch.

Spoiler

2053536467_CydoniaMAP32.jpg.0ed2d470fcb59e01cca9b5c3bf8bb103.jpg

The RSK was on a pyramid in the northern courtyard, a smaller place with two Spiderdemons and a Cyberdemon. Completing the map required pressing a switch in the BFG room, that opened the corridor area releasing Chaingunners and Arch-Viles, another nod to Go 2 It. The intention to pay a tribute was visible with the Cyberdemon behind the blue door (thankfully not repeated behind every locked door), and in the finale mixing Barons and four Cyberdemons in a much tighter space. BFG spam made sure everybody hit the ground in a matter of seconds. This was a good compact slaughter, with better ammo and encounter balance than in Plutonia, and citing the old Gatekeeper battle instead of making the nth replica of Entryway. I was not blown away by the visuals, which were competent if a bit standard, except the lovely MAP30 tribute. All things considered, this was an entertaining super-secret level.

Edited by Book Lord

Apologies for the bad spelling and grammar etc.

Map 7 Fraughtification
Erm.... I like the stage but there is not a lot to write about, I guess with it being a Dead Simple replacement you kind of keep shooting until there is nothing left alive. I like the caged Cyberdemon but I read someone else's review who said you can telefrag him so I did not bother fighting him.

Map 8 Aggrandizement
Holly hell what a stunning establishing shot. The epic usage of scale and well placed enemies kick this stage of right. There is a great diversity in combat in the opening arena, with hitscanners, homing missile, Pain Elementals, Coco's and environmental hazards. Scaling the castle from the lava moat is a fun and engaging experience that is extremely well constructed. Once you make it to the top you have a number of interesting key fights to navigate you way around. I really love this level and it's by far AD's best work, my only complaint is that it is over too soon. I've been liking how short the levels have been in this megawad, nice little mini levels that don't over stay there welcome but this level was building to something and then it was suddenly over. No joke I think this should have been at least 3 times longer than it was.

Map 9 Neurotoxin
I like the progression in the level, there a number of interesting fights and ambushes. The early part of the level really requires you to tackle the obstacles in the optimum order, you want to take the mancubus out before you grab the rad suit and take a dip in the lava, you want to deal with the Pain Elemental before unleashing the Archvile etc.
It's another of those levels that really have you focusing on your spacing from an early encounter with a Revenant upon exiting a lift, to a mid level Mancubus sandwich that sees you trying to avoid their projectiles, lava and a bunch of other enemies. The level in general uses hit floors well, there is a aforementioned rad suit quite early on but most of the time you have to find your around these while fighting off demons, which I like. A lot of good stuff going on in this level.

Map 10 Siege
This level features a remix to one of my favourite Doom 1 tracks, I'm not fan of what was done to it. Very fitting title, you're heavily surrounded and outside of any video game setting your options would be to simply surrender. This however is a computer game we are not going to negotiate terms of surrender or suffer the consequences of being filled with lead and set on fire by fat guys, we are going to get shot(a lot) and walk it off like a real man.

There really is a lot coming at you from the get go. So what do we have? You're meet with an Archvile immediately upon exiting the start area, a bunch of Chaingunners  are making their way towards you, distant Revenant rockets are locking on to your position, the pit has groups of Mancubi, there are Arachnotrons are patrolling the castle wall while more Chaingunners are in watch towers sniping at you.

You can run by all this, jump in the teleporter and grab the key but you're only going to trigger another ambush and still have to deal with those guys you left alone.

The level is full of good and imaginative fights. 

Map 11 Volcanic
This level features a cages and lava aesthetic. This maps strong points are definitely it's ambushes, which all had me adjusting to their intended play style. Exiting a teleporter right next to two unaware chaingunners while a bunch of Revenants and Hell knights start down the corridor for me.

I liked the mini ambush with the chaingunners, imps and the sole Revenant too, as I really had to think when tackling that one. I kept taking large amounts of damage and either reseting or just out right dying. The solution I ended up taking was to move into a position that had the chaingunners situated in single file formation, dispatch them with my own chaingun and concentrated on the Revenant while using the Imps as cover.

Map 12 Venomous
The Cages and lava are replaced with wood and lava this time around. A cool open area with loads of enemies. I like the levels progression that sees you continually crossing back over the start area with it repopulating each time. The secrets were easy to find to, which is good for me as I'm not all that bothered about finding secrets in doom.

Map 13 Chimera
When I started this mega wad I was concerned that it was just going to be a bunch of pligrized levels but it's developed its own identity. Like the last level it features more cris crossing over the starting area. The ambushes are good but not as combat puzzly as the last level. I really did not like the Cyberdemon fight but that's my only negative.

Map 14 Deadlock

What is up with the Revenant at the start? Kind of a dick move. Oh and also chaingunners and a Archvile! OK my first playthrough put a sour taste in my mouth but I see that the author is trying to get the player moving as you're literally being harassed everywhere you go. This level gives you no time to think and my experience went from hating it, to loving it. Visually it looks like that Plotonia level that was based on that other level from Doom 2, both of which I cannot remember the names for but if you're actually reading this then you more than likely know what I'm talking about. This level is better than either of them in my opinion. I really like this one.

DSDA-Doom, UV, pistol start.

MAP08 - “Aggrandizement” (by AD_79)

It's castle time! Very vertical level that still manages to be short and punchy. Quite a rare combination, if you ask me! In context of Plutonia Experiment homages, “Aggrandizement” felt like a vertical version of “Death's Domain”.

In short, great level, and great Plutonia reinterprition.

MAP09 - “Neurotoxin” (by Scotty)

Another very Plutonian level by Scotty. Pretty good and fun map, but nothing in particular felt outstanding to me.

Plasma Rifle secret is cool, BTW.

MAP10 - “Siege” (by Scotty)

Not a big fan of this one. Too many beef in awkward spaces and too many annoying snipers, be it chaingunners or other monsters. Complete lack of non secret armor does not help matters.

Level gave a lot of Plutonia 2 vibes due to claustrophobic situations and overreliance on SSG and archviles.

MAP11 - “Volcanic” (by AD_79)

“Volcanic” is a very fun fusion of Plutonia Experiment's “Caged”, “Speed” and “Twilight” (maps 04, 12, 15), with good original ideas mixed in. It is a bit sad that the map has only a single secret, but the combat makes up for that.

The final cyberdemon mini-puzzle felt both fresh and old-school at the same time. Sadly, the cyberdemon room had somewhat unpleasant geometry, leading to excessive projectile damage.

MAP12 - “Venomous” (by AD_79)

This map is an obvious “Speed” homage. Main difference compared to “Speed”  – the player has a very strong footing almost all of the time. Thus, the map feels less demanding compared to “Speed”. This does not mean that the map is trivial, but it does allow for a slower playstyle, especially with secrets in mind.

BTW, this map reminds me quite a lot about “Rapido” (map 27) from Ozonia. Of course, “Rapido” is also a “Speed” homage, but the resemblance goes beyond the common inspiration point. “Rapido” is much harder than “Venomous”, however.

MAP13 - “Chimera” (by Scotty)

Pretty cruel level, but nothing impossible. Good use of all kinds of monsters, including arachnos and barons. Nice and accessible BFG secret with good brawl in tow. Cyberdemon basement was extremely cool, with good opportunities for both infights and 'fair' combat.

MAP14 - “Deadlock” (by AD_79)

I never knew that I needed a hybrid of “Caged” and “Neurosphere” in my life! Thank you, AD_79!

I have a minor gripe with this map, however. The route through the map feels too predictable and telegrapged. In this context, map fails a bit, when compared to its inspirations.

Other than that, “Deadlock” is great.

MAP15 - “Hatchet” (by Scotty)

Lots of relentless action, lots of monsters, lots of firepower! Fortified monster nests, sudden teleport ambushes and miniature self contained arenas! Minor non-linearity and good height variation. That's “Hatchet”. A very good map.

However, to me “Hatchet” felt a bit deflated, but it is not Scotty's fault. “Hatchet” essentially follows the same approach as Ozonia maps 02, 03 and 06. And personally I prefer Ozonia implementations of this approach. Dunno, if this is due to some minor gameplay details, or I am just nostalgic for @Deadwing's awesome midis, but I do feel that way.

But in the end, “Hatchet” is still a great map. More great maps for me to play! Hoooray!

MAP32: Get On It

We all know it’s coming, let’s not waste our time and Get On It. 

It appears that we are up against Hell’s last stand, the last remnants of the demonic forces after we defeated the Gatekeeper. 252 enemies strong but population density is much higher than Go 2 It, get running if you don’t want to get cornered and butchered. After grabbing all the weapons at the start you can come into the bfg room and take the bfg and rush out, but I prefer softening the revs on the balconies above with a couple of rockets before moving on. Go into the room with the single mastermind, bfg her as well as the pair of surprise archviles, and the rest should be simple circle strafe work. The room with the two cyberdemons can be dealt with using the plasma rifle from another room, or you can rush them with the bfg if you’re feeling daring. The chaingunner/archvile fight can get out of control fast if you let the flaming martians roam around too freely, so stand your ground, blow up everything that is moving and the hordes will be quickly reduced to giblets (it’s pronounced jee, not ghee!). Behind the blue and red door will be a cyberdemon and 3 archviles respectively. A bit of a troll move, but you have bfg ammo for days anyway so troll them right back in their faces. The final fight is definitely the nastiest one in this map, 4 cyberdemons and their posse of baron meatshields with very limited moving space. You better be fearless with the bfg or you’ll be splayed across the floor fast. You can also perform a sly bit of trickery to tip the scale just a little bit in your favour. Suck up the final soul sphere if you haven't, and congratulations, you've just beaten the hardest level they had ready for ya.

Compact, brutal, bloody good fun. If there is ever a type of slaughtermap I can get behind, it would be this one. A definite must-play and must-replay in my book.

(Cydonia MAP32).png

Edited by Soll

GZDoom/UV/Continuous/Saves

Map 15: Hatchet - Scotty

100% kills and secrets

Time: 12:10

Deaths: 1

This is one of the more pure fun maps so far. It's pretty unrelenting with monsters throughout, not being afraid to unleash mid-tiers for no reason. Lots of revs in this one. Interestingly, the keys are all optional here. You need all 3 keys to access the secret exit, and 2 of them are in secrets. The blue key is in a pretty cool lit room that sics a rev and an archie on you, the red key is just behind a wall to the east, and the yellow key is guarded by the cyb at the end. This ending fight is the most intense, since it starts as soon as you complete the platforming to get there, and not only do you have the cyb on a central platform being annoying, but pinkies, hell knights, and cacos swarm you, making the area you can move around lesser (cue death). There's a non-secret BFG in this map, so at least these fights aren't too bad. Good stuff. 

Map 31: Night Terrors - AD_79

86% kills and 50% secrets

Time: 7:52

Deaths: Probably like 15. I didn't keep count. 

This is a very unique map. If I hadn't read some of the other write-ups on this one, I probably would have been very confused. But since I did, I knew this was an Archvile jump / puzzle level. It's also one of the hardest levels so far. The main goal of this map is to retain as much health as possible, as it's at a premium, and you need it to traverse the archie jumps. The first jump isn't a big deal, but you do have to lure the archie up the lift with you in order to make it. Plus, you have to deal with the other monsters in the area too, and that's the big challenge. If you don't think you can do it, you can take the exit here. Both secrets are in this area, I just didn't try to get the one on the other side of the jump. Now comes the big puzzle. You have 2 archies to lure here. The first one you have to lure into a monster-only teleporter you have to lower while dealing with shotgunners. The other one you have to either lure into a spot you can trap, but I ended up just letting it out of its initial room and I was able to make it work. Once you're done with this, take the lift up (making sure not to get punched by the rev), and get ready to rocket jump. This is why health management is important, as you need to do this jump. I wasn't sure if I had enough health when I first did this, and it took a few attempts, but I found a sweet spot where I was far enough from the wall where I didn't die, and could still make the jump. This nets you the blue key, which in turn nets you a much needed megasphere. Without it, you don't have enough health to make the final jumps. Now, you can use the archie you teleported to make 2 jumps. The first one has some health potions on the platform, but the 2nd one doesn't. Now, you have to deal with some cacos and a pain elemental, plus a rev back on the previous platform. Once you're done, you can hit the switch to open up the window where you trapped the 2nd archie. Make that jump, and you're home free! Other than the final swarm of baddies that is. Very interesting map. I liked it quite a bit, but it's a very different type of map.

Map 32: Get On It - Scotty

100% kills and secrets

Time: 12:29

Deaths: 5

In typical Plutonia fashion, map 32 is a slaughter map that takes major visual influence from older maps. This time, we've got some Congo, and The Gateway of Hell to boot. Like Go 2 It, this is rocket and BFG time. Not much else to say honestly, as it's pretty standard in that aspect. Still, it's a really fun map, with lots of fun spots to it. Like rd said, the best way to do the final fight is to just unleash hell and not bother trying to have infighting happen. There's enough cell ammo there. Very worthy map 32!

Cydonia map16

You start on a large platform over a huge sludge pit below, that you want to avoid as much as possible. To the north are 3 pillars, 2 of them lowered. To the south is the same situation, 3 pillars, 2 of them lowered. The map is all about raising those pillars, forming a large staircase to the exit. The blue key pickup leads to the switch raising the north pillars to get halfway there. The red key pickup leads to the switch that completes the staircase. Each key is guarded by an archvile.

This staircase raising concept was explored on a mammoth scale by @Xaser in D2TWID's map28 Abyss, a wad I recently completed and had a lot of fun with. This wad was covered by the club way back in 2014.

There's only one way to go at the beginning, onto the ledge with a chaingun to the south. After that, doomguy gets to pick which way to go. Not all ways are created equal and the pistol starter needs to find a route through the map where he doesn't get his ass handed back to him. The map can be confusing because there are several teleporters and because new pathways and corridors are opened along the way. Ammo is tight and my doomguy had to leave some enemies behind and take them out later when more ammo became available. No matter how you go about it, some backtracking is required. The secrets are well worth picking up.

Note the following non official secret.

Spoiler

In the room to the south with a red door at one end. Step on the square with a candle to open an alcove in the southeast corner of the room to 4 armor bonuses and a megaarmor.

Edited by tmorrow : Forgot to add the non official secret.

Map13- Chimera by Scotty
100% kills

Chimera is a fun map which is also a bit cruel, it begins with you under siege and walking towards the rocket launcher sets of an archvile. This level continues this energy sprinkling ambushes as you progress and the presence of snipers doesn't let you simply stand around. However, this can be simplified with the BFG secret which is easily accessible which I found almost immediately. While I enjoyed using it, I think such a powerful secret could've been provided later or atleast not be quite so powerful (perhaps replacing it with a plasma rifle ?), either way, this was a pretty fun level.

Map14- Deadlock by AD_79
100% kills

This was a fine map but truth be told, I don't think it's particularly memorable. In terms of visuals I like the aesthetic here again and the combats are fine, but it just didn't standout a whole lot compared to its peers. It's a fine map, but blends together unfortunately.

Map15- Hatchet by Scotty
100% kills

This level has a bunch of fun ambushes going for it and barring a few awkward moments like the cyberdemon, platforming and the somewhat confusing progression, is a whole lot of fun. I like the keyhunt idea since it clearly telegraphs that the secret exit will be achieved through obtaining these keys since they are not important for regular progression and adds a bit of an objective. It also leads to my favorite room in the map from a visual department, the blue key room. All around, this was another solid outing. 

Map31- Night Terrors by AD_79
100% kills 

I got the whole archvile jumping mechanic spoiled by reading a bit of the club earlier in the day so I don't know if I can be a judge on how well communicated the gimmick would be to a blind player. For my part as someone who had the gimmick spoiled and do use saves, I had a whole lot of fun with Map31. It clicks with me and reminds me alot of "problem solving" puzzles. You have the pieces laid out and bringing them together, followed by pulling the trick off feels immensely satisfying.

While I can't judge about the initial prompt of aiming for archvile jumps, once you got the idea in, I found the actual setups to be pretty clear. You have highlighted platforms above the void which you can't normally reach, cages which completely block off line of sight while a suspicious archvile is alone down the stairs, the rocket launcher jump thing had the two arrows brightened texture along with providing boxes of rockets right before it and so on. The main problem became then, the various associates of the archviles, particular an awful ambush of meatballs and tomatoes right at the tail end which must've forced me to redo the sequence like 3 to 4 times. For a level where health is critical, even the chaingunner placement felt less hostile since they're usually near cover and usually health is provided to heal up. Either way, it's a balancing act which I quite liked.

Couple that with some dark visuals and ominious selection, this level was quite enjoyable for me. Entered it expecting the worst and ultimately came out satisfied at its experimentality, good call on having the "give up" exit to not waste someoene's time and placing this as a secret level. While not everyone's cup of tea and I imagine saveless players being frustrated at this, I genuinely had fun in this level and find it my favorite of the set so far. Excellent work :)

MAP 16 – Sasquatch by Brayden Hart @AD_79

AD_79 dedicated most of his Cydonia efforts to creating levels that bore trademark Plutonia features, but still added something special and memorable, not necessarily tied to the IWAD. In a similar fashion as The Final Frontier, Sasquatch included large, cavern-like chambers with important differences in elevation, and damaging sludge at the bottom. The exit could be reached from the starting ledge by raising some mammoth-sized pillars; returning to the ledge required similar platforms to be lifted as well. The progression was non-linear, allowing to approach the two completion steps in any order.

Spoiler

1909197671_CydoniaMAP16_01.jpg.1f0c994be03eb537cdf8aede03a62d7a.jpg

The southern portion of the level hosted the RSK recovery from the centre of a large pit. Its surroundings were full of ambushes that kept me engaged while raising ledges, but when I emerged with the key I went for the teleporter and entered the other path. This was longer and crossed multiple cave areas in the northern half of the level, taking me for a circular walk to the BK. There was some backtracking involved in this quest, not only to the locked door, placed halfway through the same path, but also when I took a detour because of a secret area. When I completed the BK puzzle, I noticed I was missing the red door and the relative section in the south, that eventually brought me to the last progression switch.

Spoiler

2024369265_CydoniaMAP16_02.jpg.48b4ce06a3e4717822a4024dddebc01a.jpg

The visuals were on point, but not something I was very fond of in a map with this height and breadth. Even though I enjoyed the grand scale and exploratory feel of Sasquatch, the lengthy backtracking put me off sometimes, for example when I was missing some enemies and they happened to be three Chaingunners I did not activate. The map took a longer time than expected to complete, and this was not because of prolonged fights or obscure progression, but because of the awkward teleport connections that often misled me. Basically, the downsides were the ones I pointed out on MAP01, only on a bigger scale that amplified the problem.

MAP15 - Hatchet by Scotty:

8:51/4 Deaths
Fantastic map, it's got everything you'd want out of a small, tough level. The different ambushes flow fantastically together, if you try to run past anything, you'll get trapped in another ambush and you can play the map in two completely different ways - running around unleashing hell or carefully and methodically clearing each trap as you activate it. Which way did I do it... well I'm a coward so I played it carefully!

The map reminds me of Ghost Town visually, though that's probably because of the semi-circular platforms in the centre of the map, as the rest of the map is quite hellish in theme. I like the look of the secret blue key area especially, the high-contrast lighting makes for a really cool effect. My favourite part is the cyberdemon trap at the yellow key which killed me three times as I tried to get the cyberdemon distracted by infighting and didn't even consider firing my own rocket launcher - which in hindsight, wasn't a good idea!

MAP31 - Night Terrors by AD_79:

9:48/12 Deaths
I'll be honest, I didn't like this map at all. The gimmick is interesting, and it's definitely suited as a secret map but honestly I would have been much happier if this was a Cyberden rip-off instead of this dark frustrating mess. While my in-game clock says 9:48, that does not include the five minutes I spent looking for a hidden switch in the first room before giving up and reading some of the posts about this map for progression hints - only to find I'd already killed the progression with an SSG. I didn't enjoy the following process of figuring out where I'm meant to be going, figuring out where the archviles are meant to be going, and then performing the archvile jumps themselves - which were mercifully pretty forgiving.

I don't get why the megasphere is marked as a secret (11 of my 12 deaths were to this rocket jump by the way...), is it even possible to complete the map without getting it?

MAP32 - Get on It by Scotty:

9:59/7 Deaths
This is a bit more my speed, less puzzle solving, more demon slaughtering :P

Go 2 It is my favourite Plutonia map, so I'm always very excited to see what's in the MAP32 slot for wads that hold it up as a main influence and Cydonia does not disappoint. Get on It starts with a bang and doesn't let up for it's entire run. Getting a foothold is easily the hardest part of the level as grabbing the BFG will unleash a horde of revenants on you and there's nowhere to run due to the spider masterminds and archviles in the side areas. My successful attempt was in part due to a helpful pinky deciding to bite one of the spiders to death, leaving me with a safe spot.

Spoiler

image.png.f8975715a11df0d25494607024bcdbe8.png

I feel like Doomguy's face sums up this interaction perfectly :P

There are plenty of megaspheres and medikits to recover health, which keeps the pace up because you don't have to play it safe since there's going to be another megasphere around the corner! Get on It loves to chuck point-blank archviles and cyberdemons at you and the few times this happened was always a shock, but never felt unfair like the irritating cyberdemon closets in Go 2 It. The intermission text mentions being in a familiar place, and I was confused about this until the western section of the map was revealed to be the destroyed Gatekeeper from Plutonia itself, the arena (mostly) in tact. This is such a cool detail to work in, it's much more interesting than another alteration of Entryway!

The final fight felt like something out of Haste, which I suppose makes sense considering the author, you're trapped in a very small room with a load of barons and four cyberdemons. While it may be tempting to get a massive brawl going, you'll get cornered and killed very quickly after the cyberdemons win - because of this, and the mass of cell packs available, I found it much easier to go nuts with the BFG and focus down two of the infighting cyberdemons, to leave the cleanup of the other two much simpler. This map is a thrill ride, and easily my favourite in the wad!

2 hours ago, finnks13 said:

I don't get why the megasphere is marked as a secret (11 of my 12 deaths were to this rocket jump by the way...), is it even possible to complete the map without getting it?

The megasphere does not reside in a secret sector. I don't think it would be possible to survive the 3 archvile jumps and the combat on those ledges without that megasphere so I assume the rocket jump to the blue key and then collecting the megasphere is mandatory. Congratulations on beating this tough map even if you found it frustrating!

9 hours ago, tmorrow said:

The megasphere does not reside in a secret sector. I don't think it would be possible to survive the 3 archvile jumps and the combat on those ledges without that megasphere so I assume the rocket jump to the blue key and then collecting the megasphere is mandatory. Congratulations on beating this tough map even if you found it frustrating!

Whoops! You're right, not sure how I misremembered that since I did the write-up just after completing the map.

Oh and if anyone deserves congratulations, it's someone who willingly tortured themselves by UV-Maxing it :P

MAP32 - “Get On It” by Scotty

Well it isn't a surprise to see a map like this in the Map32 slot, however it isn't another map based on Entryway etc etc and secondly the music isn't some derivative of "Nobody told me about ID"

I like the nods and references used in this one and in terms of difficulty this is pitched just about right. The hairiest moment was the ending for which I wasn't overly sold. I suspect better players will have this fight down to a close to 100% success rate, but it just felt a little too luck based for me. Otherwise this is a really fun playground to rush around in (With BFG in hand). 

MAP16 - “Sasquatch” by AD_79

AD like in Map08 goes for something more substantial in scale, a lot of fights can be defanged with quick footwork and an awareness to get monsters infighting quickly. That said the blue key archvile had a 100% success rate at zapping me (I seemed to get consistently poor damage rolls with the plasma gun). In a way I like how this one serves as decompression after the last few maps, in a way the likes of "The chasm" put emphasis on atmosphere. This map will try to kill you, but there is a plenty of time to take in the scenery. A solid map overall.

MAP16: Sasquatch

Another vertically inclined map, with some light platforming and vast pools of damaging blood. Cydonia lets the foot off the gas with this one. The fights are not exactly easy, but if you expect them, you should have no problem. The archvile-pinkies pincer trap is rather hard to deal with, with no form of cover available, which seems to hint that the player needs to be aggressive with the plasma rifle in this part. You can use the secret megasphere to at least tank a zap, and if RNG is feeling gracious, you can even leave the room with 200/200 on both stats. Faraway hitscan positions are also present, though the map allows you to take care of them beforehand, so take advantage of it. The secret behind the red door comes a bit too late imo. Maybe it’s just my routing, but the red key is acquired at the tail end of the map anyway, so unless you literally left a horde of demons behind, you won’t be using that cell pack very much. The extra cells could’ve been extra help with the final pain elemental and archvile, but if you’ve been saving some plasma you’ll unlikely run into any trouble. 

Definitely a winddown map after MAP31’s tomfrickery and MAP32’s carnage, not the most exciting map to play but I don’t mind it.

(I don't think I'll be doing too many detailed breakdowns for the rest of Cydonia. Siege was probably the best or second best but I was severely depressed at the time, whereas the following two maps weren't exactly inspirational to the writing process).

Map 13: Chimera

by Alex Scott

The overall structural similarity to the previous 4 maps or so, the 4 deaths suffered here  and the rather sleepy midi used here would normally make the experience of this map quite tiresome. But here, the lack of space and overall enemy count successfully hit critical mass. Also, the overall Plutonian-brick and vine-colored walls along with the blood red sky are entirely successful with providing the right atmosphere.

Every enemy feels like a threat and it feels more tense as a result. The BFG secret may be easy to spot but the ambush revealed on the Super Shotgun ledge behind the area you teleport to from the starting location will test your skills, in large part because there's just enough room for the Revenants to scatter and the Arch-vile pair here can hide quite easily.

The northern ambush behind the lift can be quite nasty if you're unprepared but we had enough rockets to kill the chaingunners here then BFG the Mancubi and then finish them off with shells after the shot missed a little. It's quite critical to come to this area if you want a plasma rifle and some extra ammo as a pistol starter. Although the plasma rifle certainly isn't free - some Revenants on a ledge in front teleport behind us and it is only with quick action that we were able to dispatch these screaming piles of bones. A BFG shot would be nice here, but there's not that many spare cells.

The first key's location is surrounded by Arachnotrons in cages on both sides which turn us into a ball of Cacodemon fire the first time through thanks to other enemies attacking us from across the central lake of slime. The yellow key is probably the nastiest of the entire map though. We're confronted with several Barons and a Cyberdemon in a space ill-designed to evade rockets so rewinding was effectvely forced at this stage. You can also press a switch here to lower a nearby lift with an Arch-vile and Pain Elemental. Personally, we killed the Cyberdemon first because truth is, there's too much RNG involved what he does and where.

Naturally, there's an Arch-vile at the exit to some mysterious void. Or so you think because you're teleported to a place right next to your starting location from whence you exit.

I don't pretend to understand the ending, it's not exactly like Hopeless after all, beyond some vague 'we can't escape' metaphor. However, this comes very close to injecting the sort of life this nearly-straight Plutonia clone needed. I'll just go ahead and say Ozonia was better in all aspects though. No Map 12 demo though because despite actually finishing the map, I don't think it's worth it.

lmd_cydonia10.zip

lmd_cydonia11.zip

lmd_cydonia13.zip

MAP16: Sasquatch. Played on DSDA v0.24, UV, PS. 81/81 K, 4/4 S & 38/38 I. Completion time 11:25 (on August 13th: 21:54).

Every level Cydonia on second playthrough I have started with feelings of dread, but almost always the second playthrough has proven easier. I mean, obviously, but somehow I go in half expecting to have it just as hard as the first time.

Sasquatch most certainly is a map that benefits from a second glance, because I distinctly remember feeling exhausted after the first time around -- and that's solely because of my "gotta find 'em all" attitude towards kills and, especially in this case, secrets. My completion time improved a total of ten minutes because this time I could recall how to obtain the megasphere. I mean, it's simple, but the first time around it just didn't occur to me to take one step back at the crucial spot.

Sasquatch is also definitely a breather map after the ordeal of maps 31-32. Yet I don't find it easy. The red key arena was just the right amount of challenging for a player of my skills to do without midfight saves. I like this map. My only gripe, and that's a minor one, is that the backpack secret seems to come a bit too late. Is the intended way to access it really performing an awkward strafe jump? It almost feels like there would be a secret teleporter or passageway somewhere, but I guess not. (Didn't check UDB though).

DSDA-Doom, UV, pistol start.

MAP31 - “Night Terrors” by AD_79

I Like:

- Lighting

- Mystreious atmosphere

- Aura of mischief, remeniscent of Going Down

- Build-a-contraption gameplay concept

- Some archvile jumps

I Dislike:

- Death pits

- Most monsters

- Revenants in particular

- Some other archvile jumps

On balance, this is quite an interesting map, which sadly works against itself from time to time.

Easily accessible normal exit with "Give Up" singpost was perfect. It is both a dare and a merciful way out. Doubly so, given that the map is presented as some sort of bad dream. Music was also perfect. In many ways, it felt like something from Cyriak Harris' Going Down score. A perfect fit for a trollish, non-standard map.

The archvile puzzles themselves felt pretty lively. The whole concept was singposted very carefully. On one hand, there is no direct hits about what's going on. On the other hand, there is enough platform placed just-out-of-reach to make player ponder about extending their jump distance in some way.

Sadly, the whole jump mini-puzzle thing gets soured not once, but twice.

- First, there is the whole death pit buisness. It greatly rises the costs of mistakes. To be honest, I don't get, why the death pits were used. The combined health tax of archvile zaps and damaging floor would be punishing enough.

- Second, most of the combat is annoing in unfun way. Juggling both archvile timings and monsters is not fun. And you are unlikely to get rid of the monsters for good, cause Archviles gonna do the Archvile things, and bring the monsters back. Of all the monsters, revenants are really the worst. They are mobile, they are beefy, and their heatseelers are really terrible in the context of semi-open rooms. If all the revs were replaced with cacos or pinkies, I would not shed any tears.

In conclusion, the map is worthy of studying and can feel really enjoyable, but some of design choices may appear repusive.

MAP32 - “Get On It” by Scotty

First things first - the music. James Paddock's Plutopia MIDI is very fitting for any form of slaughter.

Finally someone made a Plutonian map 32 for this score! The balance of the universe was improved that day!

With most important thing acknowledged, we can now talk about all this boring 'gameplay' stuff.

For the most part, “Get On It” is built around relatively constrained geometry and free-roaming monster batches, which guard all the goodies. The resulting gameplay can be described as "Build Your Own Setpiece". The monsters are pretty tough, and the geometry does not help, but the player has a lot of freedom in choosing their battles by herding the monsters into convinient environments.

What I like the most about this map, is its symbolism.

Scotty combines modern micro-slaughter tendencies with Plutonia map 32 design sesibilities, and also adds a Plutonia map 30 arena as an icing on the cake. This combination creates a bridge between the modern and 'archaic' concepts of slaughter, and also celebrates the new 2020-ies Doom genre - introductory Slaughter maps. Some players may get introduced to slaughter through Plutonia, while others will start the Slaughter journey from some specialised mini-slaughter PWAD. But they both will find something familiar in “Get On It”.

I also want to praize the ending room. At first glance, it looks like some kind of complicated infight-based combat puzzle. But it does not require any complex strategies. Fire BFG until everything dies - and you win! A very nice subversion of expectations.

MAP16 - “Sasquatch” by AD_79

The Final Frontier from Plutonia 1 meets Ceremony of a Thousand Stars from 1000 Lines 3. (Ceremony is also made by AD_79, BTW)

After all the nastiness from previous maps, “Sasquatch” feels relaxing. For the fist time sinse I dunno how long the search for first monster to kill is harder than the search for the first gun to shoot! The start of “Sasquatch” is an opposite of a Hot Start. It is downright Chill.

I think, it is ok to call “Sasquatch” a breather map. It has its set of unpleasant ambushes, and without secrets the HP situation can get pretty ugly, but there is nothing really terrible lurking around for once. So there is some time to relax and enjoy the scenery. The scenery is pretty memorable, after all! 

50 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

MAP16: Sasquatch. Played on DSDA v0.24, UV, PS. 81/81 K, 4/4 S & 38/38 I. Completion time 11:25 (on August 13th: 21:54).

My only gripe, and that's a minor one, is that the backpack secret seems to come a bit too late. Is the intended way to access it really performing an awkward strafe jump? It almost feels like there would be a secret teleporter or passageway somewhere, but I guess not. (Didn't check UDB though).

The jump doesn't require straferunning, though I concur that it is somewhat awkward to perform.

Map15 (No deaths):

Big guns, tough enemies, plenty of space to move around. My kind of map.

Map31 (practiced, 51 attempts):

Cool map. I don't do AVJs or rocket jumps often, so this wasn't easy for me. I also usually don't think about corpse placement for situations involving archviles, but it's practically mandatory in a few places here. You don't want to deal with close-range resurrected revenants while waiting for the AVJ to the berserk secret.

cy15-31.zip

Map 13: Chimera

I am so sorry, I can not take any map seriously that uses this MIDI, it is such a goofshow. There was a map in Judgment that used it in a Hell map involving some relatively unique monster blocking mechanics, but the only thing that significantly sticks out aside from a couple layout points is fucking Firehive. I feel like I'm walking through an early 2010s Pyrocynical video, the downscaling of the Knife Party synths to MIDI format tickle me every time. 

The BFG really changes the game for this map. I couldn't imagine how much I would have to slog away at singular targets if my only plasma weapon was the Rifle. Any surprise Arch-Vile would have a far better advantage, especially the one that is able to resurrect all the Barons in the Cyberdemon fight. It's a godsend, and probably one of the easiest secrets yet. Without it, shit was just surprising me left and right, I was taking sniper damage anywhere I went since most of the level is open from the first teleport. Speaking of, I honestly don't know what people see in the start of The Twilight to want to continuously mimic that pairing of level start and level end points vicariously. The inspiration is once again crystal clear, not in the style of the layout, but in the specific room that got built way back when. I did like the rest of it when I wasn't being pelted by the Arachnotrons by the Yellow Skull.

Map 14: Deadlock

Honestly, this is a bit below my expectation for how well this WAD has handled navigation so far. I liked the parts where I was jumping from the gray brick railings in and out of the nukage, but everything else was pretty much just long walkways to switches that eventually connected with the rest of the map. There's a lot of Genesis here, maybe some Impossible Mission if you're looking at the nukage fights. The song definitely made it feel like a heavier weight than it actually was, and it didn't reflect how much I struggled, in this case not a lot. The first secret was fine, as I felt like I was directed right to it with the way the map starts. I only found the second one after minutes of brute forcing around the area because I had no idea how to get it otherwise. This is probably my least favorite Plutonia aesthetic, I feel it falls into the same trap as techbase fatigue. It's fine meat and potatoes, it does the job.

Map 15: Hatchet

I am very happy whenever this set drifts away from rigid guides, and sets out to make actual efficient use of the entire space it is provided. Hatchet has a lot of routing around the symmetrical Slayer/Abattoire start, which felt good to weave in and out of. I ended up not even having to fight until I got to the damaging blood portion with the Rocket Launcher since most of the monsters had to teleport in after hearing a shot fired. It got me pondering how much of this set I could have skipped just from playing pacifist. I had a good time with the combat otherwise, the Cyberdemon turret was so tightly organized I almost forgot to give this map an association to Plutonia. 

It doesn't exactly have the most creative secret exit for a Map 15, but I loved the simplistic presentation. The Blue Skull was straight up artistic in its presentation, the lighting was great, and the Arch-Vile emerging from the shadows felt special. I hope that the second half takes off the gloves when it comes to ideas for combat, because Hatchet shows it's clearly possible.

Map 31: Night Terrors

What a presentation. My desire for esoteric secrecy and prickly obtuse navigation fully quenched, Night Terrors is probably going to be my favorite in the set. 

This is without a doubt my favorite theme that makes use of Plutonia textures (drenched in darkness so I can't fucking see them), and it speaks so much of the map to have so little of it visible. I really felt like I was on another plane of perception, bouncing around in an empty nothingness, only propelled by the movement tech that I know. The amount of space you have to work with is abysmal, capturing feelings of both claustrophobia and agoraphobia, both of which the map effortlessly capitalizes on with that disturbingly quiet song. It's a relatively simple setup for people that know the tricks, and expect this map to require a great deal out of those Arch-Viles. I admittedly was exposed to a run of this map way back when the set first came out, but I forgot most of it to the point where I feel my experience was fresh enough to count. I did, in fact, get to the secret exit, and I felt that working out such a obfuscated map was time well spent.

However,

this map completely blows the skill ceiling off of the set when it comes to the secret exit. Having to not only maintain all of your health while being bombarded by Rev rockets and performing mandatory AVJs, but also lure those Viles around the level where they can not only resurrect the monsters you've killed constantly, but also turn them into ghosts if they're too close to a lift or door block, is herculean by comparison to stepping away from a Chaingunners line of sight. Being able to manipulate these things to the point where they are taken out of the hands of RNG is something that I could not do consistently. The fight in the spiral staircase with the Baron specifically gave me such an abhorrent feeling when I realized my mistake of killing the bruiser on the stairs after I released one of the Viles. This map inspires dread, for better or worse.

I still loved this level, the section where I rocket jumped onto a ledge which teleported me to a key which then lead me back into the darkness was tense in a compelling way, and it's a map that really got my attention with its boldness and unapologetic requirements to experience. The worst aspect of the map is that it is under the umbrella of "Plutonia map"

Map 32: Get On It

Just to make it clear that none of my words are confused with me being frustrated that a Plutonia Map 32 is hard, I didn't really have as much trouble as I would expect from a modern slaughtermap. It was borderline bog standard for that design constraint, which is exactly why I am so frustrated with it. 

Go 2 It, in principle, is plagiarism. That's why it's so memorable. It's a rip of Entryway that is nonsensically filled to the brim with all assortments of monsters such that it can be remembered as having a huge monster count, despite being dwarfed by both Stronghold and Mount Pain from TNT in sheer number. It is a pathetic map that canonized the ease of lifting a singular level to then repurpose for a singular joke. I may have been harsh saying that backstab popup traps need to die, there are definitely ways to make them entertaining as mappers have proved throughout history, but Go 2 It NEEDS to die out.

There's a lot more originality here than on average though, even if the segments of Conga and The Gatekeeper are still present. The combat is referential to the extraneous use of the boss monsters from the original map, having some pretty nasty Masterminds in most of the bigger rooms. I couldn't really tell you what happened outside of BFG fighting, that's what most of the map comes down to, despite the equally ludicrous supply of rockets that acts more as a neat visual than a genuine ammo stock. The final fight burned me for sure, throwing a wall of Barons and four Cyberdemons in a small room, expecting me to NOT immediately melt everything with my large gun, and instead wait on the Cybers to weaken themselves on the Barons. Brute force definitely made this one harder on me. 

I'm not calling anyone unoriginal here, Go 2 It is a status quo, it was inevitable. I'm sure that playing Get On It back to back with my new favorite Plutonia map definitely hampered my vision here as well. I did like the flesh vines, how it seemed to pull these splintered segments of level together, that was a nice explanation for the rips. I just can't get behind the concept, no matter who does it.

Power Rankings:

Spoiler
  1. Night Terrors
  2. Hopeless
  3. Fraughtification
  4. Hatchet
  5. Venomous
  6. Volcanic
  7. Chimera
  8. Amazon
  9. Neurotoxin
  10. Deadlock
  11. Quetzalcoatl
  12. Carcinogen
  13. Aggrandizement
  14. Ritual
  15. Viper
  16. Get On It
  17. Siege

Some remarks to MAP31, for those interested in my experience and why I rate it so high:

Spoiler

I played this map actually blind with several saves but without hints and without reading the first club entries of this day, (which was a blessing because everything and their mother had been spoiled already). After I got stuck the first time, I first searched for hidden switches and such things, but nothing was there and the blood pools simply killed you. Then I reminded other puzzle maps I played in the last years (from FCFF and Poogers) and the AV jump possibility became quite obvious. If the armor was placed on the first lift, where you're supposed to start jumping, that would obviously have given a better hint, but even without that hand-holding it wasn't that cryptic; the "hidehole" in the latter part of the lift is actually also a hint, I think. The rocket jump is hinted by a double arrow on the floor/automap, it's actually the only Doom mechanic I can relate to that symbol, and of course the rockets up there. Where I had a bit of a problem was with the "trap" at one of the cages. My first try failed because I actually thought I had to enclose the dead monsters there so the vile couldn't resurrect them and concentrated on me, but the intended way is to enclose the vile there because he has a much better view of you on the second platform to propel you. So this part is a bit ambiguous, and I only got the correct solution when I already stood on the last platform and the archie didn't reach me well from the other cage close to the room where he originally was trapped. So yes, saves were an advantage here. Anyway, I loved the concept of a "punchy" but not too trivial puzzle map and the creativity put in here, and I wish there was more offer of this kind :)

MAP32: Get on it

A Go2It-style slaughter map based mostly on the layout of Congo. At the start a zombieman will try to reduce your health via Good-at-doom magic, and he succeeded in my first try :) Basically the map consists of some indoor parts connecting two big outdoor areas and two small courtyards, one of the big areas with a lower damaging floor extension with some IoS textures - they seem to have no special meaning. From the start on the map tries to make you move, and all main ambushes of Go 2 it are homaged in some way (the mancubi, the PE cloud, the chaingunner/vile ambush, the revvies, the vile group and the baron/cyb combo - me not remembering a pinky and a HK ambush however) but they never seem like a blatant copy. While it has less camping spots than the original, as monsters can often reach the indoor parts, I perceived the main part as a bit easier because the archviles, the main sources of danger, are placed in relatively exposed positions and so once you know where they are, they are quite easy to take out if you play aggressively, and they don't come in that large groups like in the original. A difference to Go 2 it is that some of the bosses are placed as turrets, and there is (thankfully) no corridor cyb shooting, with the exception of one which can be handled this way (good 2shot opportunity) but can also be freed if you want to. The most difficult fight is at the exit where you have an enclosure setpiece with barons and cyberdemons, maxing it without escaping needs good BFG usage or some herding. Fun map.

Rating: 7,5/10
Difficulty: 8,5/10 (mostly due to the last fight, the rest is more close to 6/10)

MAP16: Sasquatch

This map is a good example for ultra-effective monster placement in the best Plutonia vein. It's a pretty long, nonlinear map, with two branching paths at the start. I went for the one which gives you the red key first, and I needed a couple of tries for the first rev-manc-caco-zombie ambush which looks cute at first but is very well choreographed. Visually we get a mix of Abandoned Mines and Final Frontier/Living End, and probably some D2TWID, with big pools of damaging floors and caged/metal and stony ledges. Most encounters do not exceed 5 or 6 baddies, and none of the "artificial high difficulty" tropes ("too many arch-viles", pop-up-monsters and enclosures) are overused, but even so you have to stay on your toes. I liked especially how well hidden monsters were used, for example behind columns or in cubicles. Later, above all if you find the megasphere and other secrets, things get a bit easier, with a last nasty surprise at the blue key with a lonely archie and pinkies. One little grievance was that I oversaw one essential switch for the exit pillar sequence, but I'll not lower the rating for my own dumbness. Excellent map, my favourite so far.

Rating: 10/10
Difficulty: 6/10

(prboom+, UV, pistol start, sometimes with saves between fights. Difficulty scale roughly: 1-2 - easier than all of Plutonia, 3 - Congo, 5 - Genesis, 7 - Abattoire, 8 - Twilight/Go 2 It, 9-10 - harder than Plutonia.)

1 minute ago, erzboesewicht said:

MAP16: Sasquatch

This map is a good example for ultra-effective monster placement in the best Plutonia vein.

Totally agree, forgot to mention it in my review.

Now that I think about, Sasquatch feels like a misterious middle ground between TNT:Revilution (the 2017 pwad) map and a Plutonia Experiment level. A pretty unique combination, I did not expect to meet something like that.

GZDoom/UV/Continuous/Saves

Map 16: Sasquatch - AD_79

100% kills and secrets

Time: 15:54

This was an interesting one to me. The layout was kinda unique, and I felt like I wasn't really following it and more like I was accidentally going in the right direction. Maybe I was distracted by the video I had going on my other screen, but I'm not sure. I wasn't lost or anything, so idk. The premise of this map is to hit switches that raise platforms to the exit, which you can see from the starting point. Doing so is kinda easy, as the traps here don't have much of a bite to them. Add in the secret megasphere, and you'll really have no worries. I did like how to get said megasphere, and I probably wouldn't have noticed how to get it without teleporter lines popping up on the automap. I think the biggest threat is the blue key no-cover archie, but you literally grab the mega just before it. The big red key room does have some threats to it, but it's big enough of an area to negate that a bit. The backpack secret is awkward to jump to, but I did it first try. I think the odd part about this was there was a lot of backtracking and running in loops to raise platforms. Not really an issue, but it felt odd. I mean, I still had fun with this one, and it was a tad easier than the last few, so maybe I'm just odd. Odd.

MAP16 - Sasquatch by AD_79:

8:36/1 Death
A nice relaxing map after the craziness we've just gone through, Sasquatch is the other map that reminds me very strongly of Doom 2 the way iD did - the platform raising gimmick is borrowed from Map28 of that wad. The map starts with probably the least hot start in the entire wad, you can explore for a good minute or so without bumping into any monsters and this very laid-back atmosphere persists for the whole level, which is helped out by one of the chillest tracks from the Plutonia Midi Pack.

There's still some spicy ambushes to tackle, the archvile that appears when you pick up the red key is a complete bastard and has eyes on pretty much the entire area you're in at once, but the other monsters around you are pretty non-threatening so the encounter isn't frustrating. I did like how non-linear the map is, since you can pick which area you'd like to go to and you'll get either the rocket launcher or plasma gun, and a key for each one you complete. Raising the large platforms and then performing the jumps between them was also very satisfying to do, they're a really nice visual indicator of your progress through the level. Maybe it's just because I was hoping for something fairly easy after the last two levels, but I liked this one a lot.

MAP10: Siege

Kills: 100%

Items: 100%

Secrets: 66%

Time: 7:07

Now, Siege was an interesting one. This is one of the few maps you could say relies on something of a gimmick in Cydonia, but it's not really a gimmick MAP as a whole. I wish this one committed to the idea of a choice between two weapons more, as it's only relevant until the red key fight. After that you're just handed both like it's nothing. That said, I wouldn't say it really takes away from this map as a whole. There's not a whole lot of insane momentum or jaw-dropping fights here, but as a whole it's really well rounded. The main key fight and Cyberdemon introduction are notably done well, and I enjoy the rows of Chaingunners in cages keeping you on your toes. As a whole, room for improvement, but one of my favourites so far.

Grade: A-

Difficulty: B-

MAP11: Volcanic

Secrets: 100%

Time: 6:53

Volcanic was alright. Funny enough of all Plutonia maps, this one references... The Twilight?! I know, I'm surprised too, Also it's got merely one whole Arch-Vile, now that's restraint. Okay but seriously, I do kind of appreciate the lack of a Hunted reference here, I'm not sure how you could really get more mileage out of the concept in 2021 to be quite honest. Anyway yeah, I find this map a decent bit more relaxed than the previous handful, as mentioned there's only one Arch-Vile, and the Chaingunners are used pretty sparingly. What isn't used sparingly is this map's Cyberdemon, which can be quite threatening if you're not expecting it. Really this is only a Twilight reference in the visuals and somewhat the layout. Alright overall.

Grade: B

Difficulty: C+

MAP12: Venomous

Time: 7:57

Continuing with another map that vaguely references Plutonia, Venomous is once again a reference in visuals and somewhat layout only, this time to Speed. It takes a different approach though, sporting a calmer MIDI and generally rewarding slower pace of play considerably more than the original. The map is probably a little easier than the previous, even if it has quite a few difficult spots they can be disposed of easily if you stay calm and know what you're doing. The detailing here is notable, Speed is already one of my favourite Plutonia maps visually, and I think this one builds on it well with really nice lighting and adds more visual splendour to it. Surprisingly quite the sweet feeling in such a sour wad. (I mean it as a compliment.)

Grade: B+

Difficulty: C

MAP13: Chimera

Time: 8:19

Chimera is definitely another strong one, it's not the most jawdropping or incredible map I've ever played, but it has really strong monster placement and visuals which elevates it to one of if not my favourite so far. You can get the BFG from a computer panel right at the start in a somewhat obvious secret, and you'd better use it well. Although, I really like how you get a mini demonstration fight for it, it's cool. This map's height variation really stands out to me, plenty of snipers causing riff-raff will keep you attentive. The first part is definitely the most fun part, but I also enjoy the Cyberdemon and Baron hole, it's fun to slither around in there and make infighting happen. As a whole, this map is simple, just plain good fun!

Grade: A

Difficulty: A-

Map 16: Sasquatch

Sasquatch is very proud of its scale, almost indulgent in that opening shot where you can look around at how much wood is around you. I'm getting a lot of Death Domain here, specifically in the indoor areas. The tightness of the combat was surprising for how much space I got to work with. The Red Skull fight came right out of left field for me with how well every monster was able to perform its job. I took huge damage from the Vile, Pain Elemental, Chaingunners, anything that could've stacked up on me in the multiple attempts I had at it. This immediately was followed up by a Cell Pack secret after I had already killed every monster in the map. There's once again a lot of verticality that I like in the form of jumping to the SSG and the like, as well as that graceful run to the exit along the hideous cum pillars (that texture is dogshit, what is it even supposed to be??). The growing pains are pretty much over here from my interpretation, and there are fights that seem separated into individuality that are seeping through the cracks.

Power Rankings

Spoiler
  1. Night Terrors
  2. Hopeless
  3. Fraughtification
  4. Hatchet
  5. Venomous
  6. Volcanic
  7. Sasquatch
  8. Chimera
  9. Amazon
  10. Neurotoxin
  11. Deadlock
  12. Quetzalcoatl
  13. Carcinogen
  14. Aggrandizement
  15. Ritual
  16. Viper
  17. Get On It
  18. Siege

Map 17: The Cesspools

A surprisingly fun romp, this map had a lot of good feeling navigation. I specifically thought the multipurpose switches that both open progression and monster closets were on their A game this time around. Everything I used ended up releasing an Arch-Vile, or a pack of Revenants, along with leading to a path to a key. The opening brawl is one of the more interesting BFG pickups I've seen in my life, choosing between whether I want to burn the shot on a group of Revenants or a Baron of Hell (it's not a choice for me at all, but that's not the point). The ammo economy is skillfully balanced on a level that has been present for a lot of the WAD, but exceptional here. I felt like I really had to ration my rockets for groups and significant threats, and carrying around an empty BFG up until the Cyber fight is something I don't do frequently. That fight itself was fine, I got him to infight the Cacos, which essentially cheesed the whole scenario and allowed me to two shot a turret Cyber. There's a lot to appreciate here. 

Also, Zan-zan-zawa-veia kicks ass, I could recognize his style here straight away. 

Power Rankings

Spoiler
  1. Night Terrors
  2. Hopeless
  3. The Cesspools
  4. Fraughtification
  5. Hatchet
  6. Venomous
  7. Volcanic
  8. Sasquatch
  9. Chimera
  10. Amazon
  11. Neurotoxin
  12. Deadlock
  13. Quetzalcoatl
  14. Carcinogen
  15. Aggrandizement
  16. Ritual
  17. Viper
  18. Get On It
  19. Siege

MAP17: The Cesspools. Played on DSDA v0.24, UV, PS. 76/76 K, 1/1 S, 18/18 I. Completion time 11:48 (on August 21st: 10:44).

This was an exception to the established rule that I remember maps being harder than they turn out to be on the second playthrough. I remember Cydonia getting easier the closer we get to the end (with the exception of... we'll talk about that later). So I was really surprised at how crushing the first half of the map is. On the other hand I remember struggling with the cyberdemon when the cacos are unleashed. This time I didn't insist on staying on the narrow platform, I'd just flee the scene to get a better vantage point where the cybie would take care most of the cacos for me, and I could rocket the bastard away safely.

Speaking of the cyberdemon, there's a slight bug when you reach the platform. I believe the slime texture should change to grey floor?

Spoiler

CydMap17_bug.jpg.de4437739c7d540529df80b0c51f11e6.jpg

Good map nonetheless!

MAP 17 – The Cesspools by Alex Scott @Scotty

The Sewers might not be my favourite Plutonia level, though I recognise its role as a larger and more exploratory chapter of the IWAD. The Cesspools was a much shorter take on the same subject, replacing the navigation of long sewage ducts and the teleporting hordes with smaller, finely tuned ambushes, taking place around pools of harmful sludge. The texture schemes of the Casali map were reproposed by Scotty, though he set most of the action outdoors and in well-lit areas, organised on multiple levels.

Spoiler

275790270_CydoniaMAP17_01.jpg.75fe905d3efde40e1d7da81975ee615a.jpg

The player received an early BFG which might help to escape the first sandwich between Revenants and a Baron of Hell. As a continuous player, I had the firepower to take down the various elevated shooters, but I tried to follow the path to the essential weapons like the pistol starters. Getting the SSG was easy since I spotted it from the start, while the rocket launcher was surely riskier with the Arch-Vile guardian and the teleporting swarm. The author was munificent with the Soul Sphere and Megaarmour, but the latter triggered a classic Chaingunner quadrant. The way forward was uncomplicated, and it required reaching the western ledge for the BK, then the eastern side of the level for the RK. Both keys were visible from the central cesspool dominated by a Cyberdemon.

Spoiler

863636481_CydoniaMAP17_02.jpg.0e4bb0e1badb35a0083ca6b134aedb5b.jpg

The boss pillar held the YSK, and it was reached after some platforming and switch pulling, spiced up by clever attacks by small mobs. The exit area behind the yellow door was more dangerous than it looked at first sight, since the Arch-Viles emerged from their hideouts and took me by surprise, while I was dealing with Commandos and Mancubi. The Cesspools was not a big deal on continuous play, but it was another entertaining Cydonia map that added up to the numerous successful contributions from Scotty.

MAP17: The Cesspools

So the concept here is Plutonia MAP28 but outdoors. It seems that only certain pits have an exit, while others are just death pits, which can rather be confusing for players. Personally, I’m not too concerned about falling off since the walkways are quite wide and there are plenty of cover spots as well. Making a return is the rocket dispenser turret from 10 map slots earlier. Unfortunately, this time you actually have to brute force your way through him. You do get a bfg but he’s too far away to deal any meaningful damage, so nuke the archvile and grab his rocket launcher instead. The first groups of enemies aren’t too scary, since you’re given a blue face and a blue shirt as well as some heavy gear right at the start. The arachnotron blocking the plasma rifle is annoying. You can run in circles and potshot it or go right in, risking untimely rockets. The pain elemental/mancubi ambush is over in a flash if you just rocket their faces as soon as the closet opens. The archviles in this map are straight-up harmless since most of them come one at a time, with practically no backup. There are 2 archviles at the end but you can just lure them outside so they’re no threat either. So basically the only real threat here is the cyberdemon itself, and even he has a hard time shooting you when you’re on higher ledges. 

This map feels a bit filler-ish, which is ironic since it is used as the first demo for the starting screen. Personally, I’m indifferent to this map, neither too thrilling nor too relaxing.