Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pistoolkip

Wood5forLife: a map with only a single texture

I do not get it. If that map is supposed to only use a single wood texture, then why do I see non-wood textures on the screenshots?

Am I missing something here?

6 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I do not get it. If that map is supposed to only use a single wood texture, then why do I see non-wood textures on the screenshots?

All of the wall textures appear to actually be WOOD5 aligned and used in different manners, but the flats do appear to vary of course. Other than that, not sure what's to miss. 

8 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

You do not see any other textures

Plenty of flats though 

Just now, Roebloz said:

The sky isn't WOOD5. 0/10 Literally Unplayable Garbage Why Did You Make This

Sky isn't a texture, mate. It's a flat. 

Yep, flats are separate from wall textures.

The screenshots look really nice, I'll download it, but I'm pretty busy lately so I don't know if I'll have much time for playing it. Still, just from the screenies I'd say good job.

32 minutes ago, Gravepicker said:

Yep, flats are separate from wall textures.

What a weird distinction to make.

Anyway, the screenshots remind me a lot of Ultimate Doom's E4M3, which is one of Thy Flesh Consumed's better maps, so I might check this one out.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

And yet the DOOM engine makes this distinction. It's a limit-removing map, so has to work this way really.

1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

In Doom mapping, "texture" refers to wall graphics and "flat" refers to floor and ceiling graphics. They are separate concepts in the original Doom rendering engine which is why you will see them referred to as separate things.

You're probably more familiar with modern ports like GZDoom or 3D model mapping techniques which don't distinguish surfaces as being walls or ceilings anymore. This is understandable as unless you're familiar with Doom's late-80's/early-90's texture mapping technology, the concepts would seem similar.

But, in the original Doom space, they are different ideas and you will see them referred to that way.

Forgot to comment earlier, but I'll record a playthrough of this soon. I'm happy that my almost nagging behaviour (commenting on your video, making a wood5 map too and going off about this great texture) contributed to you coming back to finish this. I really really like how the orange sky contrasts with the wood in the screenshots. Very inspiring.

Neat. FDA with -dsdadoom 0.27.4: https://user.fm/files/v2-052e11c36cadfeaa8c7ecc8ff1271c49/w5fl_plums-fda.lmp

That BFG was totally unnecessary for UV but oh well :)

I have a tiling version of the E4 orange sky in this if you want it. The seam isn't super visible in this map so not a big deal really. I like the distant architecture, it looks good.

As far as flats vs. textures go, I guess someone now has to make a GZDoom map that only uses WOOD5 on all surfaces.

14 minutes ago, plums said:

Neat. FDA with -dsdadoom 0.27.4: https://user.fm/files/v2-052e11c36cadfeaa8c7ecc8ff1271c49/w5fl_plums-fda.lmp

That BFG was totally unnecessary for UV but oh well :)

I have a tiling version of the E4 orange sky in this if you want it. The seam isn't super visible in this map so not a big deal really. I like the distant architecture, it looks good.

As far as flats vs. textures go, I guess someone now has to make a GZDoom map that only uses WOOD5 on all surfaces.

Thanks for the sky! I'll check it out and might throw it into Slith II as well.

Yeah the BFG is kinda unnecessary but the map isn't meant to be too challenging anyway

Hats off to you for making this, you did an excellent job at using every scrap of potential WOOD5 has to offer. :D The map looks really good and the alignment work and sky usage go a long way towards banishing the potential for monotony. I'm reminded of Eternal's 2x2 maps and how they operated on a similar wavelength to what you have here: I'd highly encourage you (and other mappers as well) to try that restriction out, it's heaps of fun.

for some reason this map feels super pleasing to my eyes.....design is classic and linear..gameplay is rather too easy even on UV...secrets are bit too obvious too,found all 

there should be some megawad with every map using single texture like this,for each map...good experiment btw

finish it on first attempt prboom demo cl2

popi9.zip

4 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

Sky isn't a texture, mate. It's a flat. 

B.S. Sky IS a texture. F_SKY is a mapping placeholder for the special treatment that this texture gets treated to.

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Not totally weird. The ZDoom-based ports shattered the limitations on using one kind of pattern on floors n ceilings

and a different one for walls. Originally, it had to do with how the raycaster worked in the original Doom engine. Next

time you're looking at the graphics, notice that ALL flats are 64x64 pixels, whereas textures can vary in size, e.g.,

64x128, 128x128, 256x128, 64x64, 32x128, 16x128 and so on. As an old school student of this game, I'm totally

conscious of every time I use a texture on a floor or ceiling when I deliberately choose to violate the old limitation

of vanilla Doom while authoring a map.

1 hour ago, Oxyde said:

Here's my FDA !

oxydefda.zip

What a cool and unique looking level. Very well done!

Curious => are you this Oxyde ?

1 hour ago, Zahid said:

for some reason this map feels super pleasing to my eyes.....design is classic and linear..gameplay is rather too easy even on UV...secrets are bit too obvious too,found all 

there should be some megawad with every map using single texture like this,for each map...good experiment btw

finish it on first attempt prboom demo cl2

popi9.zip

The reason is the best texture, mate ;)

But thanks for the compliments and the demo. Unfortunate accidental early exit, but there is no proper way to mark the exit, and I think it's pretty obvious where it is. 

Video is loading. Had a lot of fun but the final area got me begging for health and armor like crazy. Very cool usage of textures and lighting to create a very nice atmosphere!