Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

cr2.wad [6 boom maps]

24 minutes ago, taviow said:

Hello and welcome, guess I'll play this newcomer's maps, why not right?

I hope this is sarcasm.

Hey, stoked to see a new Ribbiks set coming out! Looking forward to playing this after work.

What a lovely Monday surprise. The first episode's starry night serenity reminds me a bit of Kuchitsu, and the second one's aesthetics gave me some serious Scythe 2 jungle / second half of Glaive 3 vibes, although both of these episodes are playing with a different kind of fire. I really enjoyed the whole thing, thanks for gifting us with something Crumpets-like in spirit.

v0.27.5 -dsdademo playthroughs, the ones for Map06 and 07 are a bit longer than the others - cr2-maribo.zip

Shame you're retired. Would've loved to see you post something like this.  :/

3 hours ago, Maribo said:

The first episode's starry night serenity reminds me a bit of Kuchitsu, and the second one's aesthetics gave me some serious Scythe 2 jungle

Indeed! That's the broadstrokes. Many nods to other wads throughout, some more overt than others. The main force driving this was wanting to get more time in the editor doing stuff I like (vomiting out lines) and less time with things that I don't (establishing Concepts™ / picking out textures).

Really fun ideas. I appreciate the extra ammo on lower difficulties as I am one of the ammo starvation non-enjoyers. Although I played on UV and thought it was more reasonable than I imagined it would be. Angular map design was fun. I also appreciated that the maps could be approached in multiple ways. I found myself reloading maps to play fights differently and having a significantly different experience. I look forward to seeing how other people approach these maps. 

Very good shit. This made a crummy day a little better. Thanks.

Wasn't expecting this on a Monday. Quite a lovely set of maps as usual, with the earlier levels having less bite than I expected yet still delivering with some very interesting setups. MAP06 is currently handing my ass to me. I also find it quite interesting how non-orthogonal everything is.

Hmmmm.....

Spoiler

doom62.png.9170df99dbeeb2d156172353cbec9734.pngdoom63.png.9942d0f0f39d3e2f671c0f3a29e05989.png

I'm just baffled how this happened!

12 hours ago, Maribo said:

The first episode's starry night serenity reminds me a bit of Kuchitsu

It would, because it is precisely the sky texture from DOOMCITY.WAD, edited to tile vertically. :)

(BTW, FWIW, this seems to be missing from the credits)

Oh, how I enjoyed these maps! The ambiance is just so good. No overt detailing and no need for it -- the layouts were just so good! Have you used invisible sector bridges before? Or so many? They definitely improved these maps even further. (I think I can speak for everyone when I say we love to see them.) Can't describe how much I loved that water-wheel or whatever it's called. And the small flower garden. Also the new decorative sprites were a nice addition. Great work!

Played through the set on HNTR continuous and had a good time! Some chill wondering and wandering about, basking in the music, the idiosyncratic architecture and the friendly gameplay. Really appreciated the ammo and health on that difficulty, seems very well balanced! Thank you for making and sharing the maps!

No deaths in Episode 1. A handful of deaths in each map in Episode 2 (a bit more in MAP07 perhaps ;) ). I wonder why the berserk in MAP04 is a secret? MAP06 I thought the final library fight seemed perhaps a tad easy compared to the Baron/Rev/Tyrant fight a bit before, which might have been a bit much? The CWILs seems aligned a bit too high for my sourceport (DSDADoom v26)? They were obscured now by the word 'entering'.

14 hours ago, Rednov said:

If this wad were an animal, it would be a cat.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Hebonky said:

Hmmmm.....

I knew I was inviting trouble by making that closet dumbly. I guess this happens if you rush the second switch in that area before all the imps have teleported in. I shall act to de-dumbify that closet.

1 hour ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

The CWILs seems aligned a bit too high for my sourceport (DSDADoom v26)? They were obscured now by the word 'entering'.

Hmm, I wonder if this is affected by resolution? I fought with this a little bit until it looked good in Woof, and for me dsda-doom (0.27.5) draws the cwilv graphic on top of the 'entering' text:

43047634_Screenshot2024-02-13at8_50_28AM.png.d68d9febb3e4ff181d18b14a2f9c9408.png1721343080_Screenshot2024-02-13at9_14_47AM.png.237fd0fb657da6d23abd3abe1de452a8.png

left: dsda, right: woof

6 hours ago, RjY said:

(BTW, FWIW, this seems to be missing from the credits)

Noted! Will add this. I tried to be more thorough than usual with the credits (which led to the fun rabbit hole of "so who made the afrit sprites anyway?").

3 hours ago, slowfade said:

Have you used invisible sector bridges before?

I don't think so, they're undeniably janky unless you restrict the angles and heights that the players and monsters can approach them from. But after replaying ksutra recently I think I got stockholm syndrome for them. "No, you're wrong. The jank is fun and endearing actually." I tell myself.

I had so much fun 

Indeed I felt nostalgic while playing specially due the bridges and the theme 

It also reminded me of the death-destiny style monster placement on map 07, and made me feel even more nostalgic <3  

Thanks <3 

2 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

Hmm, I wonder if this is affected by resolution? I fought with this a little bit until it looked good in Woof, and for me dsda-doom (0.27.5) draws the cwilv graphic on top of the 'entering' text:

[images]

left: dsda, right: woof

I tried changing resolution in DSDA 26 and I kept having the same results. 
Screenshots:

Spoiler

1280x720
doom181.png?ex=65de274d&is=65cbb24d&hm=b
1920x1080

doom189.png?ex=65de2750&is=65cbb250&hm=d

(my settings in v26 before increasing the resolution)
doom187.png?ex=65de2753&is=65cbb253&hm=a

In DSDA 27.5 however I did not encounter this issue: I get the same results as you. Interesting but not a big deal I guess.

I love the concept of HMP being the same as UV, just with more ammo :P

Is there an "intended" way of reaching the red skull key on MAP03? I think I should have archvile-jumped had I known the key was there. I was able to do an awkward jump using the double lift doors at one of the shacks, but it really felt like something wouldn't need to do :P

5 hours ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

The CWILs seems aligned a bit too high for my sourceport (DSDADoom v26)? They were obscured now by the word 'entering'.

I don't know if it makes any difference but every CWILV graphic is included twice in the PWAD, with the earlier ones having the title written nearer the top of the 320x200 image than those that come later.

3 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

Noted! Will add this. I tried to be more thorough than usual with the credits (which led to the fun rabbit hole of "so who made the afrit sprites anyway?").

Funnily enough, earlier, at first I thought you had miscredited TVR, which has a similar but distinctly different blue starry sky texture. But then I noticed you had used TVR's version of ASHWALL6/RW27_2, explaining its credit.

1 hour ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

In DSDA 27.5 however I did not encounter this issue: I get the same results as you. Interesting but not a big deal I guess.

Having done some more searching, it seems since recently DSDA-Doom deliberately detects fullscreen CWILVs and work around them. (This strikes me as potentially unfortunate for cross-port compatibility...)

1 hour ago, RHhe82 said:

I love the concept of HMP being the same as UV, just with more ammo :P

Is there an "intended" way of reaching the red skull key on MAP03? I think I should have archvile-jumped had I known the key was there. I was able to do an awkward jump using the double lift doors at one of the shacks, but it really felt like something wouldn't need to do :P

I got soooo lucky with that. Didn't even pop into my head until I got zapped outside the map and then saw the key, haha. 

Playing this on HNTR, just beat the 'E1' portion of maps. Can't believe we're getting Ribbiks maps in 2024. Crumpets was your most accessible work to me and probably still is, and this feels like more of the same. Whoever said Kuchitsu influences was spot-on. 

Yeah, really dig this. Geometry is wicked and it's fun and a little goofy. Still rooted in the fundamentals though.

Should I be able to finish this within a reasonable time, I'll blog about it and link it in this post along with any other thoughts I had about the mapset after beating E2. This is just my "I was here" post essentially. Good shite! :)

Welp, no reason to dwell on this I don't think. Here's a final version: cr2.zip (same link as before)

Very exciting changes:

- small tweaks to a couple maps here and there based on watching demos (thanks to everyone who sent them, in this thread or otherwise!)

- fixed the buggy closet in m07

- removed duplicate cwilv lmps

- added some new info to the credits

I was made aware that the mastermind unintentionally has a raise state, but that's funny enough to me that I'm fine with leaving it as is. 9/10 times it gets immediately owned by demons anyways so its existence was already a cruel joke.

12 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

You forgot my flats too :3

Although they're called GOS*** so I guess that counts

9 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

Is there an "intended" way of reaching the red skull key on MAP03?

Oh, you can just strafe-jump from the exit ledge stairs, d'oh...

Hey hey hey guess who beat this...

(hyperlink not required, just if anyone cares to read my ramblings)

E2 was a major step up in challenge in all the right ways. Each map of E2 brings its own flavor of hard to the table, and I love that you're just such an expert at creating these interesting encounters that allow for so much flexibility. 

Only one error - In MAP07, the RSK switch does not change textures when pressed. Could be a port issue, I'm playing on GZdoom FWIW. 

Thank ya thank ya, see everyone at the 50-year reunion for cr3.wad? :p