Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Got kind of a wild hair today and made a model of the Doom logo in Sketchup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/digital_nomad/Doom/doomlogo-model.png

It's not as nice as I wish it would be. What I ended up doing was stick an image of the logo on a face and blew it up to a reasonable size, and then carved the shape of the logo out. So it's not totally straight and not totally even, but you might not even be able to notice without really looking at it with close scrutiny.

As well, Sketchup can do some gorgeous things:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/digital_nomad/Doom/doomsketch-xs.png

Could end up being useful for future projects. Of course one of these days maybe I'll end up making a proper, perfectly measured version too. Might not really matter in the end though.

Yes, I know. I have a bad bad bad habit of starting new projects. But this started off as just a simple weapons mod that went out of hand. :P

Yes, the space-suit scripting does work quite well. (its only active when you're out in space or harsh environments.....like space. :P)

I however do need to find someone who can fix up a colormap to go with my new palette as there are a few major problems with it (which probably don't show up too much in the screenshots here. EDIT: yes it does, mostly in the red rocks)

Woah! Looks cool, but you should stick to one project at the time. What's up with that Heretic project you were working on?

Super Jamie said:

I like. Though you got the perspective on the first two letters the wrong way round!

I was just showing it from an angle to prove that it's an actual model and I'm not just blowing smoke. ;P

Various robots you'll fight. These are already sprited and made so far, with different attacks for each one. (not pictured is the sidearm, which is pretty much a rocket launcher with eyes.)

Perspective problem, they are viewed from slightly above. That is quite likely to look odd in game since they are viewable from different axises depending on where they are. Look at Lost souls, Cacodemons and the flying things in Duke3d for examples. All of them are sprited from the same level. ie, head on.

On top of that, it's also more likely that they will be seen from below, rather than from above in game.

@kristus:
Look at the 2nd screenshot. It has a Red Scout.
On the screenshot it's from correct level, but in that enemy list it's from higher angle.

Not only did the revenant get me with a seemingly impossible homing missile that also ended up doing max damage, it had to add to the injury by turning around and doing a skeletal, ass-shaking dance at my dead, marine corpse. :(

Super Jamie said:

Are the enemies even sprites? In something this advanced they could easily be models.

Considering how little animation Descent robots need, why not make them models? Hell, why not remake some of the original Descent robots? I'd love to shoot some Class 2 Drones.

Also I want to play this so bad. Doomscent, what an awesome idea. Will you be using the awesome Descent 1 music?

*hums the Mercury Solar Lab music*

Super Jamie said:

That looks rad. Is it one of yours in-progress or a released PWAD?

Speed of Doom map11

rf` said:

I however do need to find someone who can fix up a colormap to go with my new palette as there are a few major problems with it (which probably don't show up too much in the screenshots here. EDIT: yes it does, mostly in the red rocks)

Hmmmm, not trying to be a prick, but why not move this to GZDoom and just take advantage of GZDoom's true color abilities? after all, this is ZDoom, so it shouldn't be such a hard move at all.

GZDoom would be a much better platform for a Descent-style mod than ZDoom. This is crying out for proper models rather than model rips, and software ZDoom can't do that.

Embrace hardware acceleration! It is your destiny!

I'm either excessively interested in this map or foolishly think it won't take the 3 weeks of actual work I know it will. There's still a rather large building that needs to be epically built in the left end of the map, and finish copy/pasting sky-obstructing buildings on the top and right sides of the map, plus mixing up those textures so it's not just a horribly plain bunch of buildings (despite RL skyscrapers being rather uninteresting chromatically, excepting the windows). And then comes the rubble-slides and actual placing of things, which means the gameplay's probably gonna suck and all this work will be worthless >.<

Forgetting that craptastic map-in-progress assessment, I really like this descent conversion rf' is working on, and I like where scalliano's maps are going :)

scalliano said:

Some shots from Threshold MAP07. Just 2 more maps left :D
*images*

The colored lighting is a bit much, I think.

scalliano said:

Some shots from Threshold MAP07. Just 2 more maps left :D

That orange light is horrible.