Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

@AB: I really like the look of that map. It has that epic, ambitious, old school city map look that I really dig. Keep it up!

DuckReconMajor said:

dutch I thought you canceled that. Or are you just being really mean?

Cancelled, yes. Mean also yes :p This is not part of my megawad project. Its going to be added to my substation map that I did for Pcorf his project, I thought would fit in nicely with that map, and make the download an little more worth the effort. I just started on this map, it could take an while.

I still need to release the other three maps, but I'm an lazy bastard lately. New computer, so playing the latest games, you know how it goes :p

Snakes said:

Maybe it's just my nerd side poking its head out, but that sky sort of reminds me of the Eye of Sauron...

Hahah, thank you paint shop pro and your special effects :) Also it looks very messed up in perspective, like the buildings are weird sizes between the city and the sky. Could that be cause the texture is only 256 width and the sky resolution is compensating for that? Tech sources will probably say 'no'. Magic 8-ball agrees with them.

@AB: Looking good! The sky is fine IMO, though I assume that's a Legacy shot?

Cheers for the feedback on the shots, everyone - I always knew that the coloured sector lighting would split opinion. I'm just surprised it took SIX MONTHS for that to happen :P

I'm making it for boom, part of my newgothic wad, if you can find it buried on the 2nd (or 3rd) page of wads/mods since I haven't gotten anything up for it for a while. They're skulltag shots though, I haven't messed with the aliasing which is why the buildings look kinda crappy.

@scalliano - I thought you did ok with the lighting in the maps you posted a few months ago, but I have to agree that the orange lighting looks pretty funky, especially on the shot of the marble room with missing tiles filled by lava. In all of the shots you posted (except the hell sky one) it looked like the colored lighting was coming through pretty thick, which is especially noticeable on the ceilings. Is there a way you could ... thin it out and blend it?

There is a context to the colourmaps - the orange lighting in the first two shots is generated by lava pits which are out of shot, much in the same way that slime pits would have green lighting. Unfortunately, GZDoom doesn't have a means of transferring colour the way it can transfer light. That said, as I look at the map again, the lava lighting is richer than it was in earlier levels (MAP03 for example).

I'll get to correcting that, but in the meantime, how's this for the tiled corridor? Looks a bit like Void IMO:

ArmouredBlood said:

Not too sure about this sky ...

I like it, the rays of light are quite different and the amount of pixelisation really suits the Doom look.

scalliano said:

I'll get to correcting that, but in the meantime, how's this for the tiled corridor? Looks a bit like Void IMO:

Sorry for the silly question, but is this that project that attempts to emulate the style of PSX Doom?

scalliano said:

There is a context to the colourmaps - the orange lighting in the first two shots is generated by lava pits which are out of shot, much in the same way that slime pits would have green lighting. Unfortunately, GZDoom doesn't have a means of transferring colour the way it can transfer light.

You're sure about it? Anyway, you can create it with glowing flats rather than mapping tricks.

Super Jamie said:

Sorry for the silly question, but is this that project that attempts to emulate the style of PSX Doom?

It is, yes. It's nearing completion - hoping to have a beta out in another month or two ;)

EDIT: @Gez: I had no idea GZDoom had glowing flat support - that's worth a serious look! Cheers.

scalliano said:

It is, yes. It's nearing completion - hoping to have a beta out in another month or two ;)

Awesome! I loved playing what you'd made last release, very excited for the rest :) I found this screenshot particularly striking. The sky and the orange lighting outdoors make it so hot and dry, it makes me want to go get a glass of water!

Jimmy91 said:

rf`, I love you. <3 <3 <3

I've got incredibly bad news. My computer had a stroke the other day. Harddrive is fried, as is the power supply. I just rebuilt a junky computer for now, but I lost that project. In fact, I lost everything I did between now and last December. Thankfully I still have the latest version of my heretic project, so thank god for small favors. :>

So sad ;_;

Y'all should sign up for Dropbox.

It creates a folder on your computer which is automatically synced to the internet. You get 2Gb free, and can share stuff or keep it private. It also syncs between PCs so it's a great way to both backup and work on the same project in multiple locations.

My link above is a referral, if you sign up from that URL then we both get an additional 250Mb of space (max 3Gb).

rf` said:

bad news.

AGGGGH D: Really sorry to hear that :/. Good thing you had your awesome Heretic project backed up. I started obsessively backing up all of my in-progress stuff everyday I'm on the computer about a year ago. I'm pretty sure I'd start stroking out myself if I lost it all.

Oh, cool little service Super Jamie! I think I'll sign up for it.

rf` said:

I've got incredibly bad news. My computer had a stroke the other day. Harddrive is fried, as is the power supply. I just rebuilt a junky computer for now, but I lost that project. In fact, I lost everything I did between now and last December. Thankfully I still have the latest version of my heretic project, so thank god for small favors. :>

NOES, DESCENT TC!!!!

Then again I've barely played descent, hoping I could play something similar with controls I actually knew =/ I think whatever other stuff you had was probably interesting but without looking back I can only think of the descent TC. Rf' stuff in general looks interesting ;P

mechadon said:

Oh, cool little service Super Jamie! I think I'll sign up for it

/seconded, and I tried it out and was whoring it out for the extra data in the next 5 minutes ;) Not sure how often I'll use it though. I got kinda confused when I started moving things over directly and not copied them but then remembered it was just another folder. Which means I'll have to deal with setting up the dbs for newgothic again ... *sigh* (yes I know it takes like a minute but it's still annoying ;).

ArmouredBlood said:

Which means I'll have to deal with setting up the dbs for newgothic again ... *sigh* (yes I know it takes like a minute but it's still annoying ;).

Use a text editor with search & replace functionality, no problem :)

You can also make symlinks in Windows 7.

scalliano said:

The coloured lightning sectors next to the walls still look bad, since you have small strips of orange walls in between of green walls

Super Jamie said:

Use a text editor with search & replace functionality, no problem :)

You can also make symlinks in Windows 7.

Meh, tried but I only found where it points for resources, not how DB2 points at the dbs file. Ah well, didn't take long to get it set up anyway. And got a little detailwork done, heh.

1)Lots of Screenies.
2)Yaaaaay.
3)Slow Mapper!
4)Boooo.
5)????
6)Profit.

The level is called "Computer Station"

Hopefully I got the gamma kinda right. My monitor is dying, so I was guessing how light/dark Doom should be. So apologies if they look a little washed out.

Also thanks to super Jamie for a couple of the recolors seen here.
And to Enjay for several of the textures. And to the guys from NDCP for permissions as well. (I am still stuck on map 17 of NDCP, so any hints/tips would be huuugely appreciated. Specifically the big reactor/disco-looking area requiring all the rad suits)

Also... HEADCRABS!!!1!

That looks so rad, I love the red color scheme mixing with the silvers. The computers in this shot look great, like they're really massive gargantuan heavy things. Epic work :)

Kyka said:

The level is called "Computer Station"

Lordy, I should say so. I see your still really good at those intricate looking details :P. 4th screenshot is a little too much copypasta for my tastes. Looking pretty cool otherwise. Just be sure to make some of those wall indents impassible please! :D