Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelzam

Duke Nukem Forever - Release Date

Doom Dude said:

This better be good after all this time. :p

Well, being the internet, the quality of the game will be irrelevant since it'll be picked apart piece by piece and it's not a DOOM clone :P

Well, it is a bit foolish to rely on reviews only, especially since I have noticed quite a few 9/10 ratings for games with issues or that are simply lacklustre. I usually watch gameplay footage and play the demo if available before buying a game. I'm predicting the reviews will be of two extremes anyway for this game, either 10/10 "OMG IT'S DOOK!" or "Duke Nukem, another bland dated shooter with crude jokes and unfair portrayal of women bla bla" Personally from what I've seen so far I would give it 8 or 9 out of 10, going to get it as soon as possible.

When I clicked to watch the trailer, they asked me for my birthday. Considering that the video (like every other game trailer and promotional game website these days, but still) is restricted to people who declare themselves majors, why is everything still censored?

Technician said:

With todays reviews it won't get past the dated look. Its sad, really.

I don't know... If you've ever heard of the game Mount and Blade, it's gotten fairly good reviews and had lackluster graphics. My girlfriend picked it up a month or so ago, and she's addicted to it. In all truth, I've not really seen too many places put graphics over gameplay, save for the "BRO!"-esque folks whom gamers ignore anyway.

Oh, and the Duke is coming. That fuggin' rocks.

Technician said:

Maybe. But they could just do a quick engine change and postpone the release! Again! How many engine changes did this game go through? Three? I wonder how much of the original source code survived each engine change.. and what about maps?

printz said:

why is everything still censored?

American evangelical Christians, people of government authority, Stuck-up moms...

With an M rating we can assume it's going to be censored in-game, anyway. Remember Grand Theft Auto was pulled and re-labeled Adult for a few seconds of tit not even accessible with normal play.

Heh, I would find it incredibly funny if Gearbox decided to promote the game having an AO rating for publicity. Though, that's rather doubtful, seeing as how it'd severely limit sales.

Technician said:

Remember Grand Theft Auto was pulled and re-labeled Adult for a few seconds of tit not even accessible with normal play.

You know, the funniest part of all of that is that the entire game is loaded with drug deals and wanton murder, and even a cutscene with a cop smoking a bong while some hippy tries to give you dmt and mushrooms and no one gave a shit until the hot coffee mod.

Sexual intercourse is BAD.

Membrain said:

Heh, I would find it incredibly funny if Gearbox decided to promote the game having an AO rating for publicity. Though, that's rather doubtful, seeing as how it'd severely limit sales.

be interesting if they made a censored and uncensored version

Technician said:

Who gives a fuck? Videogame "journalists" are all bought and paid for these days. It all comes down to who has the most advertising money for banners/full-pages. Fuck them.

printz said:

When I clicked to watch the trailer, they asked me for my birthday. Considering that the video (like every other game trailer and promotional game website these days, but still) is restricted to people who declare themselves majors, why is everything still censored?

Because sex, sexuality, and nudity in movies and TV is ok and sex, sexuality and nudity in games is bad. Because the general public is still under the impression that video games are "supposed" to just be for kids.

2:06

The part where Duke is twisting the Pigcop's tusks to break it's neck suggests we may have some quick time events.

Mr. Freeze said:

Who gives a fuck? Videogame "journalists" are all bought and paid for these days. It all comes down to who has the most advertising money for banners/full-pages. Fuck them.

Hey, don't preach to me. I could care less if they took another year off to polish the game, setting back th tech further. But people do judge by reviews. Users who left comments on Youtube even came out and said this. And it may be cool that you are high enough to play the game and flog the media but you can't deny the popularity of reviewers opinions on consumers.

kristus said:

It has had QT events in some game play vids.

Technician said:

2:06

The part where Duke is twisting the Pigcop's tusks to break it's neck suggests we may have some quick time events.

press X to not suck it down

What confuses me is all this talk of Duke3D having dated graphics when it came out. Says who? It looked better than any game I had and it came out before Quake. I do think it could have been a better game if Build wasn't a scary, unstable engine.

What I can't stand is the bitching about graphics. Only two points I want to make here is.

1.) It's finally coming out, so appreciate that.
2.) Dated graphics? Atleast that means we wont have to go out or be tempted to buy a $600 new video card, or a whole new computer in general to run this game to the max. Personally I think it looks pretty damn good, graphically.

Also the whole thing with graphics is probably most of the reason DNF took so long anyway, 3DR wanted it to be leetest of the leet. If it were to look any better we probably would have to wait even longer.

I apparently didn't notice the graphics are dated. Maybe this is because the only 3D game I have played in ages is New Vegas. :D

Dated graphics... when did that happen? ;) I don't even notice the dated graphics in old games that some people complain about. I find it weird that a game can be a year old and it considered dated... wtf.

Oooh I can't watch that old black and white film, it looks dated. :p Oh noes my music sounds dated now. Fuck. ;) :p

It's entirely likely that the DX9 console version of the game is what was shown in the trailer. That would likely be the cause of "dated" graphics.

Xeros612 said:

It's entirely likely that the DX9 console version of the game is what was shown in the trailer. That would likely be the cause of "dated" graphics.

They still optimized it well enough to render everything in canola oil.

phi108 said:

From what I gather, this is misleading, as you gain "ego" by killing enemies, pulling off feats, and peeing, I guess. Unlike games that make you duck behind cover.

OK, so I got that one wrong :)

It figures this would come out right after I lose my computer and am in no financial posistion for the next year to be buying a new one. Ugh. At least it's finally almost here.

I'm now looking forward to this (as long as it does get released). I don't care if all they did was remake Duke Nukem 3D, I'm picking this up after watching that trailer.