Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

It sounds like it's 4-bit music or something. Unlistenable just like Wolf 3d's music and OPL music. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, it's just my opinion!

The reason why the SUPPORT1 and SUPPORT3 textures have the 24px wide sections is so that in a 16x16 grid space - you can make diagonal pillars more easily (diagonal pillars in a 16x16 grid are actually 23px wide, but it's close enough for it to fit).  

Bit off-topic, but why are some of the textures numbered so inconsistently? Like, where is the SUPPORT2 texture? Does it just not exist?

^those textures exist in some of the doom betas, but if they weren't used in any of the levels then they didn't end up in the iwad

In Tricks and Traps, all of the steps in this room use STEP2 as their texture, except one which uses BROWNHUG. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

map08.png

On 9/26/2011 at 1:50 AM, Vorpal said:

That it's "Medikit" and not "Medkit"

That i can't speedmap :(

And that alien vendetta is a good wad

I DELETED THE QUOTE BUT IT WAS STILL THERE! sorry there was a glitch.

since i can't get rid of the quote, yes i also found out it was medikit and i still prefer saying medkit even though it is wrong.

Edited by DoomGuy999 : glitch

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2023 at 5:23 PM, spineapple tea said:

This screenshot on the Steam store page for Doom II seems to show MAP15 as having the same sky texture as Knee Deep in the Dead.

image.png?ex=65a46863&is=6591f363&hm=6f0

Might be a prototype/early shot. I remember DL'ing about 15 or so screenshots in the PCX format dated 1994 uploaded by John Romero before Doom II's release (I downloaded them way later of course) and they were early shots...i don't have them on this current PC otherwise i'd check. I'm fairly sure that's what this photo is from though.

EDIT: I could of been thinking of early Doom 1 pics from 1993 instead...I can't remember

Edited by CyberDreams : Info

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, spineapple tea said:

This screenshot on the Steam store page for Doom II seems to show MAP15 as having the same sky texture as Knee Deep in the Dead.

image.png?ex=65a46863&is=6591f363&hm=6f0

Probably from the same prototype as this video:

There's lossless versions of those screenshots somewhere. I think Romero released them to hype up Doom 2 before it was released.

Judging by the music order the level order in this video doesn't even match up with the earliest level order we have for the game (the one where all the levels have been shifted around other than MAP01 and MAP15), so this is probably very early footage.

Edited by Individualised

Yep, that looks familiar! Just like the prototype doom 2 iwad Romero shared at one point. The castle is made from green marble instead of the doom 2 green brick, and the wooden buildings are using the big vertical planks instead of the small horizontal ones, which makes them look pretty weird.

I've just realized that mancubus shouts "I AM MARBLE" when attacking. It makes a lot of sense.

And when the spiderdemon spots you, it says: "weeweeyoo", which is an ancient Latin word used in demonic rituals.

I played 1 Monster Megawad a lot as a kid, because it was the first wad I found (since its name starts with 1) and because it went greatly with mods. Anyway, a large portion of the wad was designed by Sausage, who I always assumed was just someone who was briefly active in the 2000s and then disappeared. But it turns out Sausage is an old account of Dragonfly, who did this Eviternity thing that I still haven't played yet.

I wish I could scrub that username out of existence... but eh, I was just a stupid 12-year-old kid at the time and couldn't think of anything better. 😂

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I wish I could scrub that username out of existence... but eh, I was just a stupid 12-year-old kid at the time and couldn't think of anything better. 😂

Hey weinerboy, where do you think yoooooure going?

I just noticed, Imps have belly buttons. And don't tell me these are still part of their abs because there is clearly a belly button when you look at TROOB1 and TROOC1.

That means, cannonically (or at least in my headcannon), Imps have sex or at least are able to breed. A sentence I thought I never read let alone write myself.

9 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Think of it this way, your nickname was Sausage and the creator of DoomWorld's nickname is Linguica. You are the weiner brothers, destined to greatness.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thiccyosh said:

I just noticed, Imps have belly buttons. And don't tell me these are still part of their abs because there is clearly a belly button when you look at TROOB1 and TROOC1.

That means, cannonically (or at least in my headcannon), Imps have sex or at least are able to breed. A sentence I thought I never read let alone write myself.

i did think i'd /encounter/ this knowledge about imps

Posted (edited)

Another finding in a row: I've realized that cacodemons can be more dangerous than hell knights. You'd think they're weaker because they have less health, their attacks do less damage and they have higher pain chance, however cacodemons are more aggressive, at least usually. This means they attack a lot more frequently than hell knights or barons. This is because their attacks are coded quite differently from imps/knights/barons, despite their attacks' similarity.

1 minute ago, Li'l devil said:

Another finding in a row: I've realized that cacodemons can be more dangerous than hell knights. You'd think they're weaker because they have less health and their attacks do less damage, however cacodemons are more aggressive, at least usually. This means they attack a lot more frequently than hell knights or barons. This is because their attacks are coded quite differently from imps/knights/barons, despite their attacks' similarity.

its because they dont have a melee attack!

Just now, fruity lerlups said:

What's next, you're gonna say that Doom is technically 3D?????

Just now, Li'l devil said:

What's next, you're gonna say that Doom is technically 3D?????

i meant to say they attack more frequently then hell knights because they dont have a melee attack, the enemies are coded in such a way that the frequency of their ranged attack is reduced if they have a melee state.

Also doom is 1.5d according to sandy peterson /s

16 minutes ago, fruity lerlups said:

i meant to say they attack more frequently then hell knights because they dont have a melee attack, the enemies are coded in such a way that the frequency of their ranged attack is reduced if they have a melee state.

Also doom is 1.5d according to sandy peterson /s

Yeah I know all that, I just didn't want to explain the details.

1 hour ago, fruity lerlups said:

Why do I get the message "player got too close to a cacodemon" when I die, then? Always assumed that they had a biting attack of sorts. 

The blue light texture (the one that has 16 stacked blue lights where each light is 16x8 pixles big) has a single unseen texture patch placed behind another patch.

4 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

Why do I get the message "player got too close to a cacodemon" when I die, then? Always assumed that they had a biting attack of sorts. 

A_HeadAttack is a combo attack, so it spawns a projectile when they are away from the player and does a melee attack when it is next to the player. In this way, the Cacodemon has a melee attack. However, it doesn’t have assigned melee states, meaning it will never TRY to melee the player. The melee attack will only occur if it decides to shoot a fireball at the player and the player happens to be next to them.

Other monsters with combo attacks such as the Hell Nobles and Imp have dedicated melee states, so they will automatically melee the player if he’s too close to them (but if you distant yourself from the attack once it commences, they will throw a fireball still, unlike a Revenant.) This means Imps and Hell Nobles are much more aggressive at point blank range than Cacos are.

It’s supposed that it was done this way to keep Cacos from eating you when they’re 100 feet above you, but I don’t think that’s ever been explicitly confirmed.

22 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Now you're a chitinous sausage with wings. Major improvement.