Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

The revenant

Not sure if there is some common name for this... I'm talking about "dancing" in front of a revenant a little bit so that he keeps changing from one type of attack to another and never hits you. Can somebody explain how to do it properly? I try it sometimes, usually with laughable results. I think j4rio is good at it.

I've never had much luck with it either. Sometimes it seems totally random whether or not they will decide to shoot a rocket instead, even though there's a certain range where they won't. Most of my attempts are foiled by them shooting a rocket the second I get close enough to trigger the punch.

• If the revenant is closer to you than 192 units, he will never fire a missile until you damage him. Then (after a short, random amount of time) he would fire once even if he's closer to you than 192 units.
  • If the revenant is in his walking animation and he gets closer to you than 64 units, he will immediately try to punch you no matter what. He won't try to fire a missile.
  • Now to apply these points together: If you're close to a revenant (<192) and damage him, he would (sooner or later) try to fire a missile. You can only temporarily prevent him from firing a missile by running into him (<64) and triggering his punching attack. This attack takes a while, and then revenant goes back to his walking animation, where he can fire a rocket. You should always be right in his face (<64) in the very moment when he stops punching. Then you're 100% guaranteed that he won't fire at you.
At least I believe that this is correct.

PROTIP: Revenants will still fire a rocket in retaliation even if their target is within the "no rocket" range, and I believe that if a punch is triggered but the player backs away before it connects, the revenant will switch instantly to rockets, rather than punching the air (like the pinky would). That's also the common behavior for all monsters having both a melee and a ranged attack. That's why you never see them cancelling or attacking the air.

In any case, it's hard to keep the critical distance precise all the time, especially when both the player and the revenant are moving. If you get too far away it will shoot, if you get too close it will punch, if you get close enough to get it to punch but back away, it will shoot, and if you attack it will shoot anyway. The best way to "livelock" revenants is to find an alcove which they cannot enter AND which forces them to keep at just the right distance (e.g. MAP15 of the Great Bicycle Mystery 2 has such a place).

Never felt like there was anything random about it. If he shoots you then you're doing it wrong.

Maes said:

..., and I believe that if a punch is triggered but the player backs away before it connects, the revenant will switch instantly to rockets, rather than punching the air (like the pinky would). That's also the common behavior for all monsters having both a melee and a ranged attack. That's why you never see them cancelling or attacking the air.

Incorrect. As you see from this function, no missile is fired when target is out of range.

Guest Unregistered account

THAT LITERALLY MADE ME LAUGH

Now your next challenge is to add rotational sprites and make it a sprite replacement WAD.

curious if there is any explanation for the lost souls being spit out by a pain elemental. It might just be happenstance, but pretty much every single time I shoot at a pain elemental with the regular shotgun or super shotgun, and he manages to spit out a lost soul just before, and the shot doesn't initially kill the lost soul, the lost soul takes the damage, gets stunned -- drifting backwards back into the PE (which is generally a very short distance) and attacks almost immediately after, and before finishing reload.

Despite the length of time it takes to read that paragraph, all those events happen within a second of gameplay.

I guess what I'm asking is do lost souls have a sort of attack-right-back code pointer for whenever they regain the ability to retaliate?

@40oz: I believe all monsters behave like that: When damaged, they have an increased chance to attack right back - thanks to a "attack right back" DEHACKED flag, which is sometimes temporarily set when the monster is damaged, and cleared right after the attack (I believe). I'm not really sure if there's something special about lost soul, but maybe it is.

It's best when you have Berserk. It takes 3, sometimes just two hits to destroy one, and it's possible that it will never get to the pain state to shoot back. I once had 1% health left and managed to get rid of three revenants (and the help of some corners should they shoot back) this way.

You just need to carefully approach him and be aware of distance when he is already in punching zone. I don't think there is anything special about that.

I've seen demos (videos) of it but I thought the timing would be easier to understand from words.

I don't like how this thread was renamed from "The revenant dance trick" to just "The revenant". I think the old title was more relevant.

Memfis said:

I've seen demos (videos) of it but I thought the timing would be easier to understand from words.

I don't like how this thread was renamed from "The revenant dance trick" to just "The revenant". I think the old title was more relevant.

When I made the first reply, the thread title was already just "The revenant".

Guest Unregistered account

BaronOfStuff shared:
Some stupid shit

Heh, I already came across that video a while back whilst browsing DeimosComasBlack's channel, but I never really noticed it was that dancing Revenant until just now.

WAIT, DeimosComasBlack is now "Who is this guy?"? :/

Joe667 said:

WAIT, DeimosComasBlack is now "Who is this guy?"? :/

Don't blame me. That's YouTube being stupid and shit and deciding that my old channel description (which used to be at the top of the channel page) is now my username. Bunch of fucking dickbrained idiots that they are.

Doominator2 said:

That should be a sprite in a secret somewhere

I dont get why people hate revenants. They are often juxtaposed with archvile but I like them. It's satisfying to hear that bone shattering voice when they die. Archvile deathsound should be more violent.

Waffenak said:

I dont get why people hate revenants.

Probably because they're fast, ugly, screaming death machines, easy to use to create challenging situations, and many mappers (ab)use them as turret snipers, surprise ambushers, or in devastating hordes, where you need a special skill AND strategy AND powerful weaponry to take the horde down.

I don't dislike revenants, though. Only the hordes or other unfair setups with them. I can accept it as a means of challenge in wads that specialize in providing really tough challenge, but not in "standard" wads that aren't meant to be top extreme slaughterwads. I usually dislike slaughterwmaps, too.

Revenants are some of the best monsters and dodging their rockets or punches is all part of the fun of it.

Especially dodging and punching them while having berserk.

But what the hell is the dodge pattern for Mancubus fire?