Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Miscellaneous demos (part 3) [please post in part 4 instead]

Nitelife by Tom Farmer; Map06 NM 100% Secrets in 0:35

I felt bad about making a demo with just one trick, so I added an archie-jump and chose a category where it would be useful.

Edit: actually, the archie-jump would also be useful for Max, as it means you can get the plasma gun quickly, and by taking the teleport next to the megasphere, you get to slaughter the monster cache in their beds (including an archie telefrag). I haven't worked out which of the keys you'll need in order to kill the rest of the monsters. This is left as an exercise.™

Edit2: in fact, you don't need any keys to Max this map (there's another switch trick to avoid any strict need for the yellow key), though the blue key should be useful to help speed things along, and you'll be going right next to it in any case.

nl06s035.zip

Grazza said:

by taking the teleport next to the megasphere, you get to slaughter the monster cache in their beds

Wow, how did I miss this in my UV-Max? It should make things sooo much faster. Waiting for all these monsters to teleport normally takes forever because there is only one destination and you have to keep activating the lifts.

It's almost as if I looked at that teleporter and concluded that since it is white it doesn't lead to anything (the usual iwad convention I think). Embarassing. :D

It's certainly easy to miss, since the main purpose of it is to be a teleport destination, which is all it is if you use the (presumably) intended route. It looks like an error to have a teleporter leading to a monster cache, and a mere fluke that there is even a way out. But maybe it was made that way to improve DM connectivity, forgetting (or not realizing) that it could be (ab)used in single-player.

Well, I guess this would be a fairly easy last-minute point for someone in the "Beat Memfis Demos Month". Not me though, as I can't do demos more than a minute long because I have cats. :p

Just one thing: of the three switches after the archie-jump, you need to press just the middle one, to release the smaller monster cache. Then you can kill everything fairly efficiently while skipping the yellow key.

Ultimate Doom @ Ep2 UV-Ballerina in 8:28
Just like Ep1 Ballerina demo this one is tool-assisted but I'm posting it here because it's not serious enough to be posted in TAS-demo thread.

ep2balx828.zip

Doesn't every tool-assisted demo go into the TAS thread (this is an exception, though)? Misc. demos thread is for regular ones, I think.

Callisto Anomaly E1M5 UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:10

Improving on my old 0:37. Yeah, a route improvement...

The first second of the run was trickiest, as you have to thread your way between obstacles before you can see them. But still not exactly a complex run.

Edit: Also Reality, which is a little surprising given the nature of the exit room.

cal5p010.zip

Some random stuff.

SuicIIde Doom Map 01 Pacifist in 0:07.
Map 02 Pacifist in 0:07 (recorded in GZDoom 2.0.0.5).
Map 03 Pacifist in 0:08.
Map 04 Pacifist in 0:09.
Map 05 Pacifist in 0:19.

Happy Birthday JC! Map 01 UV-Max in 0:09.
Map 01 Pacifist in 0:07.
Map 02 UV-Max in 0:41.
Map 02 Pacifist in 0:19.
Map 03 Pacifist in 0:22.

Nostalgic: MAP03 UV-Max in 0:44. (complevel 9)
Pacifist in 0:24 (complevel 2).

shock_misc5.zip

Crap WIP UV Speed on Scientist2 map01 (0:47) to check how uploading is working in the new and oh so absolutely awesome forums. Not for DSDA.

si01-047.zip

The Joy of Mapping #1

MAP01 UV-Max in 0:29

MAP02 UV-Max in 0:50

MAP07 UV-Max in 0:13

MAP01 UV-Speed in 0:11

MAP02 UV-Speed in 0:14

MAP04 UV-Speed in 0:15

MAP07 UV-Speed in 0:08

MAP08 UV-Speed in 0:14

MAP01 No Monsters in 0:10

MAP02 No Monsters in 0:12

MAP03 No Monsters in 0:10

MAP04 No Monsters in 0:12

MAP05 No Monsters in 0:27

MAP06 No Monsters in 0:24

MAP07 No Monsters in 0:08

MAP08 No Monsters in 0:14

MAP09 No Monsters in 0:08

MAP10 No Monsters in 0:07

MAP11 No Monsters in 0:10

MAP12 No Monsters in 0:15

MAP13 No Monsters in 0:17

MAP14 No Monsters in 0:22

MAP15 No Monsters in 0:21

MAP08 Stroller in 0:30

All were done on GZDoom 2.1.1

tjom_misc1.zip

^ I'm seeing quite a few going out of sync on 2.1.1; Idk if that's just me or not though. Still, great runs!

RDSM1_2

Fun map; fun times ^^

UV-Max 7:36

R12UV736.zip

Edited by Fonze

Great run again Benjo! I'm surprised you didn't take hitscan shots in the back from where you stood as the platforms raised. That cyber juke was nicely done and saved you a lot of time off my path, but I think we both would've shaved some decent time off the runs if we had timed the final lowering column better; likely could shave some more time off the raising platforms with some SR-50. Sub 1:20 should be doable, though I'm gonna have to let you have these :)

2 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Great run again Benjo! I'm surprised you didn't take hitscan shots in the back from where you stood as the platforms raised. That cyber juke was nicely done and saved you a lot of time off my path, but I think we both would've shaved some decent time off the runs if we had timed the final lowering column better; likely could shave some more time off the raising platforms with some SR-50. Sub 1:20 should be doable, though I'm gonna have to let you have these :)

haha, yeah, I watched the demo back with the automap open to see how much time I lost at end by not knowing when to go for the exit. I also tested SR50ing over the raising platforms, but didn't have any success so I abandoned that. I'm bad at SR50ing.

SR-50'ing can be really easy, quick, and convenient or exceptionally difficult, time-consuming and frustrating depending on both your setup and of course the layout of the area (but even a quick SR-50 while just beginning to accelerate can be a big deal, in timing and especially in platforming with limited running space). I do kb+mouse, so wasd and my left hand is of course there. I put turns on q and e in hopes it'd help, but my keyboard doesn't always pick up on that many keys being pressed with alt or something and often times it winds up with me SR-40'ing without the ability to turn... Still, I can bump around a Doom map with one hand so that's kind of nice, but not helpful for the topic; that focuses on the wrong hand, though you'd think movement would be best all on one hand. Put strafe on RMB while simply using the mouse for the 'turning' function and suddenly SR-50'ing becomes not only easy, but natural as you begin to look for places you don't really have to turn anyway. Just remember that slow mouse movement gives you the same speed as fast movement, so slow and steady will give you more SR-50 time between reseting your right hand's position, or allow you to quickly do it without too much hand movement so you can still turn any direction needed afterwards without the delay of reseting your hand postion, lol.

It's kind of like with managing the use of more than 1-2 inventory items in Heretic: until you really get used to incorporating them into your playstyle you find that you have better runs without using them than when trying to use them to 'make things easier,' heh. One more thing to think about and one more thing to go wrong; still useful though!

But the use of it didn't help my times in comparison to yours ;p Great runs once again and fun map rd!

9 hours ago, vdgg said:

Tunnel Run UV Max in 8:16

Oh, nice to see a max of this one. I once years ago got to within 2 archviles of the end before screwing it up (despite playing normally/carefully, not for time), never bothered to try again.

Foot Hills of Hell 7 by David Ramos

Map07 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:05

Map07 NM Speed (and Pacifist) in 0:05

These would have been perfect for the "Don't Beat Shit" Demos Month, but I only just remembered this map and the fact that it could be exited in a few seconds. I probably first spotted that some time in the 20th century. :p

fth7p005.zip

fth7n005.zip