Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Z0k said:

i know i said this like 1 month ago but... im almost done with this map i promise!

I know that feeling hehe...

Nice shot though :)

I made this ceiling lamp:

I think it looks pretty cool. I'm not too keen on those light shaft things you sometimes see in (g)zdoom maps but I think it works pretty well here because this room already has a fog setting making the shaft logical to see. I also don't know if I want to keep the lens flare effect as it tends to clip with ceiling and stuff.

The lamp is made of 5 parts. The lamp (it's solid so the player can jump on top if it), its' electric cord, light shaft, lens flare and the dynamic light.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Im working on a remake downtown from Doom 2, in le amazing boom map format and with duke 3d textures. Because really, Doom 2's choice of textures doesnt fit cities at all.

I really like those Heretic shots, it looks like a wild west desert canyon type of thing, definitely a very cool and unique atmosphere for a Heretic wad!

soulweeper said:

I really like those Heretic shots, it looks like a wild west desert canyon type of thing, definitely a very cool and unique atmosphere for a Heretic wad!

Thanks! That's only for E1M4 though, each level will have a bit of a different theme as you travel across the entire episode. Nothing really crazy or anything - I'm hoping to retain some consistency while still making it feel like a journey across an entire kingdom.

Unf said:

Im working on a remake downtown from Doom 2, in le amazing boom map format and with duke 3d textures. Because really, Doom 2's choice of textures doesnt fit cities at all.

Looking good

Fonze said:

God I love Heretic.

Miss Bubbles, do you do DM maps?

For Heretic? I don't. I have one unreleased DM map based on Deimos Anomaly for Ultimate Doom though. I might consider implementing DM capabilities to my maps but my top priority is Singleplayer, and then Co-op.

Miss Bubbles said:

Thanks! That's only for E1M4 though, each level will have a bit of a different theme as you travel across the entire episode. Nothing really crazy or anything - I'm hoping to retain some consistency while still making it feel like a journey across an entire kingdom.

Ah, still an interesting concept for a wad, and an interesting setting for a level. I look forward to playing it!

Anyhow, to contribute to the main point of the thread, I've done some work on my own Doom map since I first posted it here. Probably nothing too groundbreaking, but it's the first map I've made (or am making) so hopefully it'll give me experience if nothing else.

Spoiler

The starting area. It'll mostly take place in a wooden cabin.

An encounter with some Mancubi and Cacodemons.

I'm trying to put in lots of opportunities for infighting. I don't think that'll be a problem with some Arachnotrons around.

Right now I'm trying to focus on the difficulty, I think it may be a bit too hard unless you find the secrets, so I'll definitely work on that. If you see any glaring issues or have some constructive criticism, I'm all ears.

Here's the first map I've worked on in years. Never uploaded any of my maps before and sadly the stuff I worked on in High School is now lost forever (I was storing them on an Ipod Classic I traded in to GameStop and forgot to backup the files. Sad day because I was actually quite proud of them.). The idea here is to make a series of maps based on the concept of the Doom 2016 Arenas, where you go through unrelenting waves of enemies in a space designed for combat. Basically they're survival maps in the vein of Firefight and Horde. After defeating enough waves the player will move on to the next level.

EDIT: Interesting development. I popped in my old bootlegged disc of the classic Dooms I copied from a friend (how I got Doom in High School) and thought I would check to see if any version of my old maps were on there as I used the disc as a CD+R so I could keep writing to it, as I had no internet at the time and used it to bring home files after visiting my Dad. I found a copy of demon_q.wad (my major project of the time, which I had named Doom Chronicles: The Demon Queen) from November 13, 2007. The last time I remember doing any real work on the map is 2009, so this is a pretty early iteration. But I think I can salvage what I found and start turning it into a better map, which is great news! Will post some images when I've cleaned it up a bit.

Miss Bubbles said:

For Heretic? I don't. I have one unreleased DM map based on Deimos Anomaly for Ultimate Doom though. I might consider implementing DM capabilities to my maps but my top priority is Singleplayer, and then Co-op.

Ah, I see :( Well there's a Heretic DM party going down in a month or so and I'll be looking to hand out invitations when we have a small few maps to show. Us 5 Heretic fans need a decent Heretic DM set like a burning man needs to stop, drop, and roll.

soulweeper said:

-snip-

About average for a first wad; don't forget to add some height variation in there to spruce things up as well as some trim, supports, and such to break up the massively mono-textured walls. Don't be afraid to use some more texture variation in there, as well as lighting to accentuate the nice-looking spots while hiding the not-so-nice-looking or bland spots (and also to add interest to the map).

As for enemy placement: flat land is the worst setup for monsters, despite their ability to get around everywhere. Problem is, an area that flat (3rd screenie here), open, and big is nothing but an invitation for a player to run around bored, making the monsters infight with no effort necessary. I see nothing hard about the wad based on those screenies and would encourage you to find setups where general infighting is not necessary. Instead look for setups where a real strategy is needed, such as pressure being applied in multiple forms to the player, from different angles, heights, and times. Through careful choreography, you can accommodate specific infighting into a strategy. An example of this could be, say, a key grab in a small room. Player grabs key, 4 pillars behind the player lower. 2 contain revs, one contains a PE, and the closest one contains an AV. Player must get one of the revs to shoot the AV in order to take the pressure off of the player for at least that first, initial blast while they find adequate cover, if there is any, and get their bearings, maybe kill the PE if there's time in order to prevent skull-Hell. Other example, 2 mancs with a PE in between. Player goes to the far side, kills one manc while the other shoots and hits the PE. Infighting is necessary for these 2 basic setups, but simply running around without purpose won't cut it, and neither will mindless blasting.

Hope this helps :)

Seems I fail to take screenshots. With Glboom+ I press * and nothing happens also have GZDoom but dunno how to take ss with that source port

SFoZ911 said:

I like those Heretic shots Miss Bubbles, absolutely fantastic. Love those skies too, I've never seen before.

Thank you! I made 4 custom skies for my wad and I'll release them along with any other custom textures/sprites/etc I make once the wad is finished :)

Having more or less finished the blue key zone of my boom map (bunker), I decided it was time to move on to another one of the key zones (in this case, the red key zone) so, this is what I came up with yesterday. The building took way more time than expected to be honest...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yes, I know, there are some misalignement on the rock textures (you can see one on the first shot for example). They are a bitch to align properly xD

Also, you can't see it on the still pics (duh) but there is a glowing effect on the techno green walls (the circuits).

Thanks for the advice, Fonze. Sorry to reply to this thread without any pics but I just wanted to let you know I'm keeping your criticism in mind and redesigning certain areas of my map. Hopefully the next time I have some pictures to share the map will look more fun and challenging to play.

Im actually looking for testers, I've been flagging monsters and items for each skill level. I'm so used to Brutal Doom, Project Brutality and Maps of Chaos I have been focusing on Ultra Violence. I think this will be my first map in a series. It has that feel I think. I still need to place some props and other things. I have been working on getting the functionality down and enemies/items placed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbkhz6wrj0wrexb/Map01.wad?dl=0

EDIT: Here's a video of me doing a test run on it with PB mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F031edOx6E

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Dumb work-in-progress Madness Combat WAD I just started on today. Myeh.

Been playing around with Eureka the last few days, since that's the only thing that works on a Raspberry Pi(long story short, my desktop broke and I'm poor :P) and I think I got something worth showing yet:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just a Map 31 submission for TraceofSpade's MegaWAD "DOOM II: Redux".

Spoiler

The starting area, taking place in a dungeon part of the castle.

There's a puzzle you gotta figure out here, but I'm not telling.

A view of the castle up in the air, it's nothing special since I don't work well with outside areas.

Probably my favorite part of the map, it's a throne room where a Baron of Hell resides.

The library part of the castle, it's cheaply made, I know.

Going through with this map this time. It's like being a part of a MegaWAD project kind of boosts my confidence a bit.

These are from the start map (sorta like Quake's) belonging to a new project of mine. It was originally a Heretic map, but I changed my mind partway through. I've also only put a few hours into this, so I consider them working drafts right now.

Frisky said:

http://i.imgur.com/fBsilDd.png

DUDEEE!! I forgot all about madness! That shit was the best, I even have the clown theme song on my phone. It's so fucking sweet. Also my cousin used to tell me that he was one of the artists in Madness but I've never seen him in the credits and I think he was lying haha

Frisky said:

Don't discredit your idea. I think you might be on to something. With the appropriate music, sounds and enemy animations / assets you could not only mimic the unique characteristics of Madness quite well but get a whole lot of free PR from Newgrounds and Krinkles himself.

Produce a decent map with props and signs making reference to some of the classic episodes and at the very least complete one true Madness enemy to kill and then create a little alpha demo (mostly just for viewing) and present it to Krinkles and ask for his approval of it. He may give you permission to use some resources.

I can just imagine it with the music, weapons and Madness enemies. It has potential.

Obviously color the room with some more contrast but I know it's a work in progress.