Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Operation UAC
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/74477-operation-uac-seeking-feedback/

I'm working on a Megawad dedicated to Brutal Doom and actually looking for people who are fans of the mod and short / sweet and easy / medium campaigns. I want honest feedback and criticisms. Long way to go and some improvements of existing maps are needed. However the first 9 maps are technically complete and I'm personally proud of them, especially since it's my first wad ever. I spend many hours learning a variety of features and scripts from no experience.

Spoiler

Map 3: Biochemical Lab

img hosting

Map 4: Production Facility

upload pic

Map 6: Corrupted Caverns

image hosting gif

Map 6: Corrupted Caverns

free picture upload

Haven't made anything since my submission to the Doomworld Mega Project 2015. I guess I'm just waiting for a generic community project with little to no restrictions so I can submit a generic standalone map.

Was working on my wad for doom64ex Complexe16 but i just will work on it again until im done with this project collaboration with DMphobos, called Darkmoon but right now i have some mapper block because i dont know how to continue my storage area

AD_79 said:

Working on a spiritual successor to a mapset I made last year. Haven't got any maps done yet so I can't say much for design but this is the basic idea in terms of visuals (posted this in the pictures thread a while back):

http://i.imgur.com/es38yGf.png

note: this is quite an old screenshot

I'm planning on it being faster and harder than the original.

Nice, reminds me of a Warsow map.

Quineotio said:

I'm working on a wad for brutal doom. Planning to have 8 levels or so, with custom music. I have 2 levels up - https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85322-new-levels-for-brutal-doom/

It seems to take about 2 months per map, but I'm probably going overboard with certain things...

I played this without the brutal pack and I thought it looked really nice. It's a bit too tough for me on every difficulty. I walked around with God mode on in the first map after trying to beat it 4 times first on UV and the backing down. It seems like all the difficulties might be the same, but I really like the detail that you put in to it. I'd see something that looks like you need to jump to get - almost ready to push alt-tab to say, "I'm telling." No... it seems like everything is obtainable by running fast.

Where do I put the texture packs, weapon mods, etc. to play custom maps like this? It's not in the doom folder, is it? If it helps, I use Zandronum to execute .wads.

I really like that variety of texture usage AD_79, very cool stuff. All the screenshots here look good, in fact.

I'm currently working on something for Doomed in Space, I'll post some screenshots once there are screenshots worth showing!

Reworking my previously released WAD Taggart Strikes Back from the ground up based on feedback. Still working on the first level, using experience I gained from that first go at making it. The first 2 maps in the original WAD weren't of good quality whereas maps 3 and 4 were in my eyes pretty decent. My goal is to make the maps of the same, hopefully better, quality that the 3rd and 4th map of my original WAD was. The first map I'm hoping will end up being around 8 minutes long to complete on a first run, and going back and looking at that first attempt makes me pretty happy about how far I've come. Hopefully you guys like it when its done, I was thinking about recruiting playtesters to give me feedback on every map but I'll talk about that another time when I'm ready to share the first map. Here's some screens anyway.

Do note that it's not done yet, for example the floor in the big "hub" room has nothing on it, I'm planning to add shit down there. The textures for the ceiling, floor and walls of that room are also not final and IMO look pretty ugly as of right now.

This flop of a megawad: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/tpbm

Thread where I gave up: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/63847-thy-prboom-maps-it-is-released-now/

As you can see, I wasted a lot of time trying to make 32 maps whilst under the impression I could map.

I can't map, so I obviously failed and in an attempt to salvage the shitfest I proposed a CP but nobody joined.

Waste of effort.

Never make solo megawads until you can map kids.

AnonimVio said:

Working on a limit-removing 5 map wad called PCR (figure what this acronym means by yourself)

polymerase chain reaction?

mrthejoshmon said:

This flop of a megawad: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/tpbm

Thread where I gave up: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/63847-thy-prboom-maps-it-is-released-now/

As you can see, I wasted a lot of time trying to make 32 maps whilst under the impression I could map.

I can't map, so I obviously failed and in an attempt to salvage the shitfest I proposed a CP but nobody joined.

Waste of effort.

Never make solo megawads until you can map kids.

The few reviews are saying your maps are both fun and visually nice. I am actually quite tempted to play it and see for myself.

2 reasons why;
1. I am making a one man Megawad and want to know the experience and feedback of someone in similar shoes that isn't a famous mapper - so no positive bias
2. To find out if you truly believe your project was *Edit - Some mean individuals* that unfairly criticized your work and led you to believe your work is rubbish when it's really not

My maps that I invest many many hours into, from the painful process of learning scripts from scratch, constant problem solving and time consuming details etc have received the occasional "It's pretty fun" from the few who enjoy it but from those who decided they don't (based on a couple commenters on live streams), absolutely spite it with harsh judgement on almost every texture, monster placement, any use of symmetry, any use of custom content, any choice of song and so on. As if I was their worst enemy and made just made a gigantic joke wad that induces vomiting. It's very off putting and breaks inspiration but I'm confident it's more their problem than mine regardless if my wad is truly average or even poor (which I believe it isn't). So if this happened to you - I feel your pain.

If you made a wad with quality that varies from average to greatness then you're claim to poor quality and unable to map is unjustified.