Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

Almonds said:

i'll pull a cognitive dissonance exception to simply sate all these 'quake shill' bashing by inadequately butting in to say that

Spoiler

the game has a planned hard competitive FFA mode with weapon spawns, and a strafejump/run and a rocket jump mutator

ure are welcum

Yeah...where did you get this....from leaks?

Well at the very least, you know you can create any gamemode you want with snapmap. You're just limited to four players. Not much of a party, but I doubt I'd personally find many other friends who'd want to play with me anyway!

In other news, having been away from this thread for a day, it's amusing to see how quickly it's gone to shit. There seem to be a lot of fanboys passionately defending the game when it doesn't much need it, at least not here. Not that any of you are doing a good job of defending it, anyway...

Oh well. For now I'm content to watch the shit storm fly by while I enjoy what's left of the open beta. Haters gonna hate.

sheridan said:

Well at the very least, you know you can create any gamemode you want with snapmap. You're just limited to four players. Not much of a party, but I doubt I'd personally find many other friends who'd want to play with me anyway!

In other news, having been away from this thread for a day, it's amusing to see how quickly it's gone to shit. There seem to be a lot of fanboys passionately defending the game when it doesn't much need it, at least not here. Not that any of you are doing a good job of defending it, anyway...

Oh well. For now I'm content to watch the shit storm fly by while I enjoy what's left of the open beta. Haters gonna hate.

it sux :^)

archvile82 said:

I just ask myself are they doing it for click baiting ? Is it genuine thoughts or are they trying to fit in with the hardcore pc crowd ? It's just weird how it was getting some good feedback and then its kinda turned sour.

There's sort of an unwritten agreement between the game press and the publishers that they will provide mostly open-minded, and at least semi-positive coverage for their games in exchange for early access/previews, far out from the release date. As the release date approaches, and as the final product is coming into view, the tenor often changes as they shift from preview mode to preliminary review mode.

It's not a conspiracy. It's just that we have entered the point of the marketing cycle at which the press feels more free to provide critical assessment.

Xerge said:

Each area has a special weapon or power-up that fits the environment.

And what does this prove? "Weapon or power-up that fits the environment" could mean anything, how does it fit the environment?. I doubt it's referring to strategy, but more in an artistic way. You're just hanging by a thread now.

Watching alot of live coverage on youtube gaming, everyone seems to be enjoying the hell out of this. Ofcourse then there's the random trolls in the chatroom talking smack... saying its like Halo,cod, etc.
It almost seems like there's a real serious group of people behind this sudden overpowering negative response we seem to be getting. Like this is there final effort before Doom takes game of the year. Even if a game has similar components is it really a bad thing? At one point or another every FPS ever made copied elements of DooM but you didn't see ID complain did you?

Just played the beta again for a few matches, it is a beta. I don't see why people are bitching. I had fun. It's more fun then most games that are coming out these days, when I died, I felt it was my fault, and thats a good sign I feel. I think the problem is entitled players not wan'ting to give something new a shot. As stated before it's not quake, and id will do wise to seperate the two to catch more players interest. I'll be jamming this on and off with ut. I feel that if you don't like it, it's your lose.

Hofmann said:

And what does this prove? "Weapon or power-up that fits the environment" could mean anything, how does it fit the environment?. I doubt it's referring to strategy, but more in an artistic way. You're just hanging by a thread now.

You are taking that out of context:

[...]"Each area should have some distinct combat areas"[...]

[...]"a thin staircase for vertical fighting"[...]

[...]"and a computer room made for close fighting."[...]

This is obviously about designing and making the different areas for certain gameplay porpuses (for example vertical fighting or close fighting). Under this context (distinct combat areas, for example different locations that are made specifically for close fighting and others made for vertical fighting) placing a weapon that fits the environment means placing a weapon that fits the environment for these gameplay porpuses.

I really like how the new Doom fanboy community here has gone from:

1. hyperbolic assertions about the classic features the game will have (modding, super fast movement, strafe-jumping, weapon pick-ups)

2. to rationalizing their disappointment at lack of said features (got to please the COD players, DLC maps are how it's done today, nobody could use the modding tools anyway, that stuff was Quake not Doom--interestingly, there weren't many people making that particular defense before the shit hit the fan and many folks here were talking about how excited they were to be rocket jumping)

3. to full-on conspiracy mode when they realize that the vast majority of gamers, who haven't been drinking the id/bethesda kool-aid on this for years, find the game to be an uninspired, bland, forgettable experience.

MrGlide said:

Just played the beta again for a few matches, it is a beta.

Not sure what you mean by this, but the game is a month away from release. It's not gonna go under any significant change before it comes out.

I think people often confuse the term "beta" with "alpha". Beta means your product is just about ready to ship, sans some bugfixes. Content-wise, you would've already undergone a feature freeze at that point in the dev cycle.

sheridan said:

Not sure what you mean by this, but the game is a month away from release. It's not gonna go under any significant change before it comes out.

we'll get more maps, there'll be different game modes, more demons more everything. we're not seeing the whole thing at once, just a slice of the pie. Do you really think they don't have the tools to change things like player speed, what kind of weapons or how many you have, there's a hell of alot more to the game then what's in the beta.(edit) With the customisation they toute I'm shure there will be stats hosts can play with and such to adjust these things, just like in halo.

Technician said:

I think beta was an inappropriate word to have used. They should have called this what it is: a demo.

but it's not, it's called a beta so the can try and have a smooth launch. fixing errors before they come out like this nvidia shit and networking. There is so so much more to this game then whats being shown.

I feel like the beta is getting harshly and unfairly rated.

I mean... it's got worse reviews then DNF.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

3. to full-on conspiracy mode when they realize that the vast majority of gamers, who haven't been drinking the id/bethesda kool-aid on this for years, find the game to be an uninspired, bland, forgettable experience.

Really? Has anyone gone this far yet? I can understand some gripes about the mp, but sinking that low is absurdly retarded. How can people judge the entire game off of a simple deathmatch test?
Look at this screenshot and tell me singleplayer and snapmap's not going to be anything short of amazing.

Xerge said:

[...]"Each area should have some distinct combat areas"[...]

[...]"a thin staircase for vertical fighting"[...]

[...]"and a computer room made for close fighting."[...]

This is obviously about designing and making the different areas for certain gameplay porpuses (for example vertical fighting or close fighting). Under this context (distinct combat areas, for example different locations that are made specifically for close fighting and others made for vertical fighting) placing a weapon that fits the environment means placing a weapon that fits the environment for these gameplay porpuses.

"Each area should have some distinct combat areas or mini themes included in it."
Yeah, quote only the half of the sentence that suits your argument. What do you think "mini themes included in it" means?

"and a computer room made for close fighting."
"a thin staircase for vertical fighting"
This only says that a computer room is made for close fighting and a staircase made for vertical fighting, nothing about why is a certain weapon placed in it. Nice try, I think you are seeing what you want to see.

I think you don't understand that this is a concept, you need to read the whole thing to understand what the concept is about and what it is meant to achieve when it's applied to level design, at the beginning of the paragraph it states this: "Location-based DM allows players to always know where they are. You may not be able to figure out how to get somewhere else fast, but you immediately know your location."

The mini-themes are precisely to achieve that.

Anyway, you can analyze the example they mention (dm3) here:

Halo kids bitching about it copying Halo 5. Check.

Call of Duty kids crying because it's not the way they want it. Check.

"Old school" arena gamers talking shit about the game because "it's not like Quake/Unreal Tournament" and don't want change. Check.

Linguica said:

...like a demo...

"the Open Doom Demo"that has a nice sound to it except I would expect to see a look into the single player in a demo considering the mp is just one chunk of the game. (edit) and they're testing for bugs, not trying to give a final impression from the game. I feel there is a stark difference.

Xerge said:

I think you don't understand that this is a concept, you need to read the whole thing to understand what the concept is about and what it is meant to achieve when it's applied to level design, at the beginning of the paragraph it states this: "Location-based DM allows players to always know where they are. You may not be able to figure out how to get somewhere else fast, but you immediately know your location."

The mini-themes are precisely to achieve that.

Anyway, you can analyze the example they mention (dm3) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV7yEVlFWpo

What the fuck does this even have to do with what we are arguing about? Do you even know what are we arguing about?
The video clearly shows that the author of the article was referring to art/design, every room(combat area) is distinct because of different textures and color (mini-themes) i.e. ARTISTICALLY distinct. Nothing about why certain weapons are placed in certain areas, nothing about why loadouts affect level design.

Xerge said:

You are taking that out of context:

Irony at it's best.

Hofmann said:

The video clearly shows the author of the article was referring to art/design, every room(combat area) is distinct because of different textures and color (mini-themes) i.e. ARTISTICALLY distinct.

No, that's false: "in dm3 from Quake is a water area for swimming, a thin staircase for vertical fighting, and a computer room made for close fighting." These are all obviously made for certain gameplay porpuses (swimming, vertical fighting and close fighting) and not simply for aristic porpuses like you'd ike to imply.

You are not really paying attention and you don't understand a fucking thing about the concept or how it is applied: applying the concept is also meant to allow the player to always know where he is, the level designer may rely on different combat areas with different combat porpuses (like vertical fighting or close fighting like seen in DM6) to make the areas distinct from each other or he may rely in mini-themes to achieve that, and under the context of designing different areas with different combat porpuses (vertical fighting or close fighting) placing weapons that fit that environment means placing weapons that fit those combat porpuses. It's as simple as that.

The more I read the reviews the more shitty this game sounds like it is going to be. Everything from the flaccid voice of the announcer to the shitty dubstep music to the lame taunting. Listen to this review:

"...One of my biggest dislikes I saw was taunts, taking again from Call of Duty most likely. When I saw gangnam style dance and the carlton dance, I knew this game just isn't for me, but that's where IDSoftware completely missed the point..."

Gangam style dancing? Seriously? Yeah it basically sounds like CoD meets Halo for kids. That combined with some of the lame new monster designs...

Honestly this game might be shit. That's a scary thing to say about the dream release I've been waiting for since 2008.

I know a lot of people dislike Doom 3 but at least it was a dark and mature game. Sure it didn't play like the originals but it still had the scary occult spirit of the originals. The demons were all intimidating. The atmosphere oppressive. It felt aimed towards adults. Like the originals. But with even more horror, which I didn't mind. It was a morbid game.

Doom 2016 on the other hand comes complete with meme taunting, gimmicky executions and CoD meets Halo multiplayer.

Why didn't they try to focus on what made the Doom multiplayer unique? From what I've seen and heard it's like they are going in a 180 complete opposite direction and actually shitting all over what Doom deathmatch was about to begin with. Doom CREATED deathmatch. WHY would you deviate from what it CREATED? Why is there a two weapon cap? Why is the speed slow and floaty like Halo? Class loadouts? It is completely baffling to me.

They had the chance to be different but at this rate the multiplayer will be dead in a month. This can't compete with CoD. Not by a long shot.

It seems as though they are desperate to appeal to edgy kids who don't know what the Doom games are about. That is the only reason they would borrow from other (more successful at this point) FPS franchises. Why should they care about other FPS games? Doom is the motherfucking grandfather of the genre. For fuck sake, id!

The single player/snapmap better kick ass to compensate because so far it isn't looking good at all. Hopefully I'm wrong and this entire angry rant will be for nothing.

[/rant]

...did you even play it? Because I tried it today for the first time, and I can tell you this:
-Gameplay is NOT slow. It's faster than COD and Halo, and I was even playing console.
-Taunts are such a small part of the game that even if you hate them so much, you won't care in the end
-Music is not dubstep, at all.

Xerge said:

No, that's false: "in dm3 from Quake is a water area for swimming, a thin staircase for vertical fighting, and a computer room made for close fighting." These are all obviously made for certain gameplay porpuses (swimming, vertical fighting and close fighting) and not simply for aristic porpuses like you'd ike to imply.

Hofmann said:

Nothing about why certain weapons are placed in certain areas, nothing about why loadouts affect level design.

Also, it's spelled "purposes." Porpuses are porpoises' retarded cousins.

RUSH said:

shitty dubstep music

So this stuff sound like dubstep to you? Mick gordon is the right composer for this game (though Andrew Hulshult would have been perfect)

TheGamePhilosophe said:

I really like how the new Doom fanboy community here has gone from:

1. hyperbolic assertions about the classic features the game will have (modding, super fast movement, strafe-jumping, weapon pick-ups)

2. to rationalizing their disappointment at lack of said features (got to please the COD players, DLC maps are how it's done today, nobody could use the modding tools anyway, that stuff was Quake not Doom--interestingly, there weren't many people making that particular defense before the shit hit the fan and many folks here were talking about how excited they were to be rocket jumping)

i really hope you aren't saying written assessments in a discussion forum aren't open to change over time because not only is that thought alone incredibly amusing, but hypocritical regarding how your overall attitude has only demonstrated vitriol toward people here for not adopting the same cynical attitude as yours that apriori rules out that you shouldn't hold a modicum of hope in the game.

RUSH said:

""the more i read about people angry at the game the more angry at it I become myself""

well I guess you could say those game journalists are doing their job properly then. :^)

Xerge said:

Yes I understand the concept you fucking idiot, stop repeating the same shit over again. And the water area, staircase area and computer area are not only distinct in gameplay but also in art and the author wasn't referring only to combat strategy like you would like to but to art as well.

Xerge said:

You are not really paying attention and you don't understand a fucking thing about the concept or how it is applied: applying the concept is also meant to allow the player to always know where he is, the level designer may rely on different combat areas with different combat porpuses (like vertical fighting or close fighting like seen in DM6) to make the areas distinct from each other or he may rely in mini-themes to achieve that, and under the context of designing different areas with different combat porpuses (vertical fighting or close fighting)

I understand what you are saying, and I think you don't understand what you are saying. Water is made for swimming combat, staircase for vertical combat and computer room for close combat. Still nothing about weapon placement.

Xerge said:

placing weapons that fit that environment means placing weapons that fit those combat porpuses. It's as simple as that.

Now you are just making shit up, that doesn't say in the article, that is only your interpretation of what "weapons fit the environment" means. I'm getting a really artistic feel from the lightning gun in the water.