Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Let's Be Revealing

40 minutes ago, Tracer said:

Rappers who I see getting the most credibility among their fans are the ones who have "been there before and are telling stories."  These guys' songs seem to glorify gang violence, drug and alcohol abuse, fighting oppression, female objectification, sexual obsession, and an emphasis on rhyming (which I think can muddy a message).  Metal can also glorify these things, and examples can certainly be found.  But going by what is typical, the bands that I see getting the most notoriety glorify things like honor, courage, perseverance, violence, revenge, and death.  Not all positive things...but even when they are talking about violent things, they don't claim to have actually been there and done that (again, speaking about what is typical).

Haha... if metal is typically about honor and courage, rap is typically about the wisdom of experience and overcoming the odds. I could as easily say metal is typically about Satan, demons, rape, mass murders, serial murders, wars, suicide and fetishization of death, pain, anger or hate. There are tons of lyrics that would fit my description, so it must be as true as your claim! You're right about the perspective though. While rappers brag about the ruthless actions they've performed through their considerable power and ludicrous wealth, metal artists threaten to perform ruthless actions with their considerable power and unhealthy mental condition.

I'm not even a big fan of rap and I certainly prefer metal, but you're obviously biased and cherry picking. Metal lyrics are often so stupid and pretentious that I generally prefer purely instrumental songs, on the other hand I enjoy trying to interpret Aesop Rock's convoluted lyrics.

Favorite Movie Genre: I don't really think about stuff in terms of genres usually, but maybe these surreal incomprehensible movies where you have no idea what's happening and what it's supposed to mean, and yet you're deeply fascinated and highly entertained by them. Like what David Lynch does.

Favorite Food: Bad food like burgers, potato chips, etc is always the tastiest. Nowadays I almost never eat it though because I started thinking about my health.

Favorite Holiday: Maybe birthdays of sites I visit and games I play? Like when the creators celebrate them by adding some new features, organising contests or whatever. Out of traditional ones I guess I would have to say Christmas. For some reason I like to pretend that I don't really care about it, and yet it always manages to inspire me.

Favorite Memory: I think it is yet to come.

Worst Memory: Shitting myself on a train lol? Don't remember how old I was but it must have been a single digit age. Hard to pick really, I guess truly worst memories kinda get suppressed after a while? Like I have a memory of seeing a human body with a head chopped off on a railroad (suicide?) but nowadays it's so fuzzy I'm not even sure if it's real anymore. Maybe I dreamed of it.

Favorite Outfit: Very tough question. I really like when people wear slightly oversized clothes that somehow work. Unnecessarily long sleeves are lovely, for example. Also these things, don't know what they are called. In general, slightly messy outfits that kind have a "don't give a fuck" feel but still look cool.

Favorite Genre Of Music: A few years ago I would say happy breakcore like Reizoko Cj, but now my brain is perhaps too used to it. It's still really freaking cool, but maybe it's no more the best thing ever. I will give a really broad answer and just say electronic music. It just feels to me like electronic musicians are typically the most concerned about the sounds being really pleasing to the ears, whereas e.g. piano playing is perhaps more about the composition, the mood, and all these things. So, like, electronic music is really really tasty food, while other music is more exquisite stuff where you're supposed to appreciate bitterness (wtf?) as well.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Maybe a capella. Not the singing itself, but like when they are trying to make other sounds with mouth it can be a bit disgusting, similar to people munching while eating.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right. But I had one day when I tried to learn using the other hand as primary. :D

Worst Injury: In elementary school I fell from a bike and broke my left arm. I think it was a good experience actually, probably most kids should go through something like this while growing up.

Favorite Hobby: Japanese language and everything related to it, especially anime and other things that look like anime.

Your Definition of Success: I don't really like talking about definitions to be honest. Like some people will argue whether some band is black metal or not for 12 hours, I don't get that. Maybe instead of talking about labels and stuff like that we could talk about things that actually matter?

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: Maybe in chess? Although they are usually more like black and yellow-ish...

8 hours ago, rdwpa said:

26 and 28 are really common

28 was the most common age back in 2013 too. Therefore it is obvious that Doomers do not age.

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

great points Tracer!

and Jayextee as much as i enjoy Die Antwoord, id hate for someones first exposure to rap to be them :D

Thank you.  Also, again, contrary examples can be found for both genres.  I am only speaking from what I have witnessed.

1 hour ago, dew said:

I could as easily say metal is typically about Satan, demons, rape, mass murders, serial murders, wars, suicide and fetishization of death, pain, anger or hate.

2 hours ago, Tracer said:

Metal can also glorify these things, and examples can certainly be found.  But going by what is typical, the bands that I see getting the most notoriety glorify things like honor, courage, perseverance, violence, revenge, and death.  Not all positive things.

Favorite Movie Genre: Science Fiction

Favorite Food: Pastasciutta with ragù.

Favorite Holiday: Xmas

Favorite Memory: Making love with girls

Worst Memory: Being hospitalised

Favorite Outfit: Blue jeans, T-shirt

Favorite Genre Of Music: Heavy Metal

Most Hated Genre of Music: Rap

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right

Worst Injury: No big injuries but other nasty problems.

Favorite Hobby: writing books

Your Definition of Success: Havin created something worthwhile for yourself AND the others

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: Maybe

Most Hated Genre of Music: Pop

Favorite Music: Hardcore Punk Crossover Thrash Metal (often shortened to Crossover Thrash)

Favorite Holiday: Christmas, Christmas is good.

12 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Most Hated Genre of Music: Pop

You can't get down on some Kattie perry? Thats a shame.

Wait. People actually listen to the lyrics in music? Aren't those just filler?

2 hours ago, Tracer said:

I am only speaking from what I have witnessed.

So... you basically huff Manowar.

Favorite Movie Genre: Adventure, I guess

Favorite Food: Sushi, Mexican Food, Seafood (Shrimps!! Oysters!!), much more.

Favorite Holiday: Christmas, I guess?

Favorite Memory: Watching David Gilmour's concert?

Worst Memory: Not sure, maybe my parents breaking up.

Favorite Outfit: Jeans

Favorite Genre Of Music: Prog Rock (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Supertramp, etc) and Acid Jazz (Jamiroquai, Incognito, etc). But I like lots of stuff. (Pop, reggae, some metal bands, funk, samba, mpb, etc)

Most Hated Genre of Music: EDM and Pop is normally whatever. There's also some regional brazillian music styles I don't like at all.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Left on Mouse, Right on everything else.

Worst Injury: hitting and opening my forehead when I was 4.

Favorite Hobby: Playing and listenning to music, dance, games, travellling abroad.

Your Definition of Success: Be happy and free with whatever you're doing.

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: Wat?!

Edited by Deadwing

44 minutes ago, dew said:

So... you basically huff Manowar.

You got me.  Good job, man.

4 hours ago, dew said:

Haha... if metal is typically about honor and courage, rap is typically about the wisdom of experience and overcoming the odds. I could as easily say metal is typically about Satan, demons, rape, mass murders, serial murders, wars, suicide and fetishization of death, pain, anger or hate. There are tons of lyrics that would fit my description, so it must be as true as your claim! You're right about the perspective though. While rappers brag about the ruthless actions they've performed through their considerable power and ludicrous wealth, metal artists threaten to perform ruthless actions with their considerable power and unhealthy mental condition.

I'm not even a big fan of rap and I certainly prefer metal, but you're obviously biased and cherry picking. Metal lyrics are often so stupid and pretentious that I generally prefer purely instrumental songs, on the other hand I enjoy trying to interpret Aesop Rock's convoluted lyrics.

i'm not a fan of rap but sir, if you're a MMORPG item you'd be legendary.

6 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

OutrageousVideos got me thinking, there are a lot of interesting parallels (and of course some strong contrasts) with heavy metal vs hip-hop, so its always funny to see both 'tribes' often have a strong aversion to the other side.

What happens if I enjoy both?

My playlist can jump around quite a bit. From NIN to Cypress Hill to Crystal Castles to Black Dahlia Murder to Jedi Mind Tricks. I can't say no to any of it.

Favorite Movie Genre: thriller.

Favorite Food: anything on grill.

Favorite Holiday: New Year.

Favorite Memory: Wolfenstein 3D on my father's IBM, day of purchase my Sega MD2.

Worst Memory: I forgot, fuck it!

Favorite Outfit: blue jeans with t-shirt.

Favorite Genre Of Music: stoner-doom.

Most Hated Genre of Music: russian hip-hop.

Left Handed or Right Handed: right

Worst Injury: when I broke my right shoulder.

Favorite Hobby: internet.

Your Definition of Success: doing best. Simply.

1 hour ago, Tarnsman said:

The same way that words are just filler in books, yes.

2 minutes ago, Tracer said:

The same way that words are just filler in books, yes.

People read books? Are you sure? Thought that was an old wives' tale.

Rap the worst?

Pls then I assume you haven't heard of turbofolk. Rap can actually be good sometimes (just sometimes though). But still, I think turbofolk takes the placate.

Imagine a typical country song, you know, a nice, chill, slow one...

THEN SUDDENLY DUNK THAT SHIT UP IN SUPER ANNOYING ELECTRONIC ACCORDIONS AND SUPER ANNOYING TRUMPETS WITH FAST BEATS!!!

THEN THROW IN SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T WANT TO SING WITH A OPEN MOUTH TO BE A VOCALIST

AND JUST DOUSE THE LYRICS IN INNUEDO AND STRANGE SLAVIC LANGUAGES

AAAAAAAAAAND SOME MOAAAAAAR SUPER ANNOYING ELECTRIC ACCORDION RIFFS AND SUPER ANNOYING TRUMPETS GALORE!!!

Turbofolk is like a Adidas-clad agitated skeleton with dual accordion rape machines.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Does the dual accordion rape machine means two machines which rape accordions or two accordions who rape with machines?

Yes.

Thanks for tolerating my shit.

Favorite Movie Genre: Documentaries :o I'm not a big movie guy but I'll fuck up some documentaries

Favorite Food: Eggplant Parm ez

Favorite Holiday: Not a big holiday person either but Memorial Day is always cool; intro to summer and nice long weekend. Christmas, Valentines Day, etc. just cost too much money.

Favorite Memory: Driving away from the dealership in my first new car that I worked my ass off for.

Worst Memory: Three of my good friends dying months apart from each other.

Favorite Outfit: Button-down short sleeve shirt, khaki shorts or chinos, casual sneakers, new watch matching the attire. 

Favorite Genre Of Music: Metalcore/Deathcore; will sometimes venture out to some hip-hop, EDM, classical, folk, etc. Anything but country music, really.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Country; not like Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash though. I'm talking that Luke Bryan Rascal Flats garbage in which concerts just consist of terrible beer, douchebags, and 18 year old women who think they're country because they blew some dude in a pickup truck.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right although I'm slowly training myself to be ambidextrous

Worst Injury: I've had a rusty nail impaled through my hand which didn't hurt one bit. Herniated discs from car accident a few years ago definitely hurt the most.

Favorite Hobby: Video games, card games like MTG, strategy/board games, tabletop RPGs, streaming

Your Definition of Success: I'm taking Tracer's definition here. "Being in debt to no one and answering only to who you decide to." is solid.

In your opinion, are situations typically black and white: Never. Ultimatums are never a good thing. 

6 hours ago, Tracer said:

Rappers who I see getting the most credibility among their fans are the ones who have "been there before and are telling stories."  These guys' songs seem to glorify gang violence, drug and alcohol abuse, fighting oppression, female objectification, sexual obsession, and an emphasis on rhyming (which I think can muddy a message).

There's a huge gap between rap music like that and then the better side of rap music. The two genres are so far apart that they're almost nothing alike. Vince Staples and Aesop Rock are two prime examples of rap that are much more lyrically inclined and positive than something like Future or Migos who just talk about drugs, money, and bitches. 

You can say the same about metal though. Even though lyrics aren't as relevant in this genre, listen to Thy Art is Murder's lyrics versus Erra's. TAiM just growl about death and despair but Erra usually includes much more uplifting messages (see https://genius.com/Erra-crimson-lyrics)

3 hours ago, Tarnsman said:

1 hour ago, Tarnsman said:

People read books? Are you sure? Thought that was an old wives' tale.

That's why I prefer listening to OSTs of video games, and people said I'm weird, and I read paper books. Probably this is a niche hobby now.

1 hour ago, stru said:

Favorite Hobby: Video games, card games like MTG, strategy/board games, tabletop RPGs, streaming

Nice, we have something in common ;)  Though, I don't like TCG/LCG. Maybe I can get some names of your favorite strategy board games? Wait... there's a "/".

10 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Maybe I can get some names of your favorite strategy board games? 

I've pretty much enjoyed every strategy game I've played. The problem is I don't have any friends to play them with :( I was thinking of hitting up the Meetup app and seeing what's good in my area. Too bad you don't live around here haha

1 minute ago, stru said:

I've pretty much enjoyed every strategy game I've played. The problem is I don't have any friends to play them with :( I was thinking of hitting up the Meetup app and seeing what's good in my area. Too bad you don't live around here haha

Probably there will be someday I'll visit you or you'll visit me ;)  Going to Meetup is actually what I'm going to in the future. Now I'm just limited to 3 players all the time. Board games are sort of niche hobby.

2 minutes ago, Outrageous Videos said:

you're right! 

They're very similar

>Deez Niggas

I'm fucking dying lmaooooooo but holy shit Attila doesn't count. They make music for 25 year old dudes who still go to high school parties. 

1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

Probably there will be someday I'll visit you or you'll visit me ;)  Going to Meetup is actually what I'm going to in the future. Now I'm just limited to 3 players all the time. Board games are sort of niche hobby.

Where are you posting from, G? IIRC, you're from China right? 

21 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Look at Decay's avatar. However "goofy" it may come across, you can tell right away that man has style style STYLE.

15 hours ago, rdwpa said:

I actually thought you were older tbh. 

8 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

me too.

Fonze, you act and sound like an old fart :p :p :p

I'll have *you people* know that I thank cashiers who card me on account of the fact that I'll take all the years they give me!

18 minutes ago, stru said:

Where are you posting from, G? IIRC, you're from China right? 

I'm living in California right now.

BTW, the Arch-vile jump of Disjunction Map10, I meant business. I recorded how to start, check this. Takes like 2 min. I'll definitely take this route if I decide really to run this map. Probably now, I think Sunder Map03 is easier for me to run.