Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Podcast Throwdown: Doom Radio vs. 40oz

40 has not yet showed up for his intensive training regimen. He must be wasting time at his job or doing something that's actually important to his life.. How laaame!

I have bought an 18-gallon drum of Mountain Dew specifically for this.  

Do we have any MLG commentators in the house?

Put the popcorn away.

1) Less than a week to go,

2) we still can only assume that all 3 rounds which will go to 40 will be played on kid_duel, which while it is a fun map, will make for a boring watch to a potential 120 frags... and to top it all off

3) 40 seems to be putting in the same effort to this match's prep work as he does his show; he prolly still hasn't even played against a real player yet, while alfonzo can be seen occasionally in duels and stabby; the experience gap is too much for a bot to overcome. I've offered to play/help/whatever and I've seen dk offer as well; idk if he ever responded to dk but to-date I've not dm'd with 40 at all. As if this match wouldn't be boring enough as-is with 80-120 frags on kid_duel, it is more certain day-by-day that we should expect nothing less than a blowout, which I think is a major shame and does a disservice to the mp community; it also frustrates me greatly because I want to see more people dm casually for funsies. I honestly don't care who wins, I just want to see a good match, though as I said, day-by-day the chances of that slim to nothingness. Put the popcorn away; this match is gonna blow (out), unless 40 decides to actually put some prep work into something.

If I had to put odds on this duel at this moment I'd say 20:1 fonzo wins, no account for score, as in I would happily put 20 of my own dollars against 1 of somebody else's that fonzo wins any given match. The first match? 50:1 

That all said, once again I really just want to see a good match and hopefully these words encourage 40 to practice with somebody, anybody, don't even care that it's me but just somebody other than bots, who is human and plays doom. Don't resign yourself to a loss when you have plenty of time to get ready and possibly win. Hell, if I can beat fonzo in a duel, surely anyone can!

Yea but it'll be alfonzo getting the 40 instead.

I'm waiting for the inevitable punk out. We will never see the in-practice mode of 40's wells of pvp knowledge :(

So much pessimism coming from the multiplayer community. It's like you don't even want interest in pvp - Sad!

3 hours ago, 40oz said:

So much pessimism coming from the multiplayer community. It's like you don't even want interest in pvp - Sad!

Well that's quite a barbed thing to say 40, considering the fact that some of us in the mp community obviously took up interest in this as a means for some good publicity for mp/dm being a fun time. I think it's safe to speak for most people in the mp community here and say that we want nothing more than an increased interest in mp/dm.

A couple of us have raised issue with the map choice, which we feel will be detrimental to gaining interest; at least one person (this guy, in case you didn't guess it) is also interested in seeing the matches be good, close, hard-fought battles to the bitter end, because those are the most fun to watch and will therefore stand the best chance at conveying the image of Doom's mp/dm side to people who haven't tried it yet or who tried it during more competitive times. Most serious competition is dead; we want people who want to have a good, fun time in the mp/dm community because every year more drop out or disappear.

I have been nothing but polite, friendly, and supportive to you, but I'll tell you right now that I don't appreciate the way you act. 

It's like you don't even want interest in pvp - Sad!

No no, we DO want interest, that's why we want you to practice. Alfonzo absolutely wiping the floor with you isn't going to be interesting at all.

I don't want us to dogpile 40 though with that all said. It's not like he's wronging us somehow by not practicing and we shouldn't frame it that way, I just hope he fucking balls up and faces me/other willing sparring partners at least a few times before going in to battle because Alfonzo is a damn solid deathmatcher! I'd really like to get a feel for 40's skills in-game to see how the two compare.

God dammit quit hyping up my game! And get someone on side who knows how to perform the heimlich maneuver.

All this constant spam against 40z makes me wanna have 40oz winning this duel just so everyone else could be so shocked no new threads would appear for three days straight.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

No no, we DO want interest, that's why we want you to practice. Alfonzo absolutely wiping the floor with you isn't going to be interesting at all.

I don't want us to dogpile 40 though with that all said. It's not like he's wronging us somehow by not practicing and we shouldn't frame it that way, I just hope he fucking balls up and faces me/other willing sparring partners at least a few times before going in to battle because Alfonzo is a damn solid deathmatcher! I'd really like to get a feel for 40's skills in-game to see how the two compare.

It's less to do with him practicing than him fucking around with the match and ignoring the advice of people who actually play pvp instead of pretending to play and pretending to have wells of pvp knowledge.

2 hours ago, Decay said:

It's less to do with him practicing than him fucking around with the match and ignoring the advice of people who actually play pvp instead of pretending to play and pretending to have wells of pvp knowledge.

I haven't done any of that.

Don't count out 40 just yet. He already beat Decay on the forums. Just wait until he gets into the server. He'll show all the doubters.

1 hour ago, Ru5tK1ng said:

Don't count out 40 just yet. He already beat Decay on the forums. Just wait until he gets into the server. He'll show all the doubters.

hey where's the dislike button >:(

28 minutes ago, Voros said:

Confidence is the key to winning.

That doesn't mean you'll win.

Dunno to whom that comment is pointed, but once you think about it, it applies to both sides equally. In fact, it applies to everything.

Heard rumblings of a stream on the horizon...

Maybe the Mania delay wasn't so bad after all, now I have plenty of time to watch you two flail at each other for 40-some frags!

Little under 24 hours til the match; good luck to both contestants and above all else have fun!

I'm psyched for our hot date!

1. Who volunteered or has been assigned to stream this? Can I get a link to the persons channel?

2. I understand we agreed to a west coast server, has one been picked? Server name and IP address please and thank you

3. Would you like to set up a discord channel so we can talk during the game?

also I've been having car trouble all week so ive been taking public transportation to work, and so far hasn't always been reliable. We agreed on 6:00PM EDT and i pride myself on being punctual, but still I could be 10-15 minutes late.

For those who want to watch it in-game, you will need a beta build of zandronum 3.0. Doomseeker should automatically install this for you, Doom Explorer and IDE are having trouble due to not supporting a protocol IIRC.

Here are some builds:

https://zandronum.com/downloads/testing/3.0/ZandroDev3.0-170806-2040windows.zip

https://zandronum.com/downloads/testing/3.0/ZandroDev3.0-170806-2040macosx.dmg

https://zandronum.com/downloads/testing/3.0/ZandroDev3.0-170806-2040linux-x86.tar.bz2

https://zandronum.com/downloads/testing/3.0/ZandroDev3.0-170806-2040linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

put it in a subfolder named "testing" in your wad folder without unzipping it and zandronum should pick it up.

The server being played on is Doomshack Duel40 Private Server. It is passworded to connect to it, but maybe Doomkid will allow the password to be given out here and then change it after. In fact that's probably the best bet, pm me if you want the password to the server itself. You could also ask @Fonze @Doomkid depending on who you want to ask.

Ip: port and direct link

zds://45.33.41.203:16389/za

You are all cordially invited to a night of mutual destruction: https://www.twitch.tv/capnclever. CapnClever has generously offered reluctantly agreed to accommodate this feast of frags. There will also be commentary from in-house experts Decay and dew. A Double D viewing!

Feel free to join ahead of the match (within the next hour; server details in Decay's post above) to enjoy some opening act duels. We'll even let you get on the pitch and kick the ball after the game has ended!!