Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Community Chest #2 Released

Well, played it yesterday and today and I have to admit that some of the maps are absolutely amazing and great, sadly, others are very boring and simple and detail and this interfers with the overall quality of the wad :( Nevertheless, great effort!

I kinda disliked Gene Bird's map. They are so underdetailed.. Genebird, mind explaining why?

Nmn said:

I kinda disliked Gene Bird's map. They are so underdetailed.. Genebird, mind explaining why?

Maybe it's because they are vanilla doom2 maps put in as filler.

Linguica said:

quit fishing for compliments its good and you know it

Yes I want compliments because I worked my ass off to get it finished in time. I deserve compliments for it damnit! And I rarely release wads too.

I think my favorite is really map 24. BPRD Rocks. He should spend more times on mapping that sitting here (no offense tough) :)

Nmn said:

Because Gene likes good gameplay. Remember gameplay? That thing that makes Doom fun? Not how many sectors you cram into a wall or ceiling? Sheesh. Deja Vu is very fun and plays better than most of the other maps around it.

cyber-menace said:

Or at least... more time on serious maps instead of making things like Grove and Nuts that overload people's computers.

Grove was a serious map, and a very good one too (it's on my top ten of 2004). I got excellent framerates in glboom.

Nuts was just something he threw together very quickly to test uploading to the archive in advance of uploading Equinox, so you can hardly say that Nuts was a major drain on his time that distracted him from other work.

Use3D said:

Because Gene likes good gameplay. Remember gameplay? That thing that makes Doom fun? Not how many sectors you cram into a wall or ceiling? Sheesh.

Also, if people are going to complain that there are filler maps, it seems wrong to blame the guy who was able to provide a bunch of fun maps to be slotted in at the last minute, while failing to say anything about the people who pulled out with just a week or two to go before the deadline. Nmn's post made me a sad panda. :(

Grazza said:

Also, if people are going to complain that there are filler maps, it seems wrong to blame the guy who was able to provide a bunch of fun maps to be slotted in at the last minute, while failing to say anything about the people who pulled out with just a week or two to go before the deadline.

No kidding. Gene's maps are sweet and I look forward to playing them everytime he puts one out. OH GNO there isn't useless trim around every floor or 7000 computer consoles stuffed into every space possible. Guess we better trash his map...
It's a very simple concept that some people cant grasp; DETAIL DOESN'T MAKE LEVELS FUN.

I'd have to agree with Use3d, Grazza and the others that actually like those filler maps.

The filler maps are what allowed the project to be completed.

They really are fun, reguardless of detail.

At least a few people like them. Remember fun? Remember gameplay?

Don't play them if you don't like them. Makes no difference to anyone.

I agree. While Gene's map was lacking detail, it was just as fun as the maps loaded with it. So far I'm very impressed. This is a great collection of maps. WAD of the week!

mystery8 said:

I agree. While Gene's map was lacking detail

Wow..i thought alot of u guys would say that map 17 is lacking in detail. I will freely admit that is is..

There was detail in these maps? Honestly, pushing the limits of the the respective doom engines is fine and all, but not many people play doom for the graphics. Hell, half of the maps that go overboard on architecture fail just because the mappers don't pay attention to other things.

Fun wad, been the first I've bothered to play in a couple months. It's good to get away from the newschool games.

Shaikoten said:

Hell, half of the maps that go overboard on architecture fail just because the mappers don't pay attention to other things.

Yes, Such as game play.

No offence to Gene, but I find his maps not only lacking in the visuals department, but the gameplay area as well.

Besides, a bad looking map has zero to low immersion factor, which I find to be extremely important.

Yeah, if Gene's maps looked great and played as great as they do they'd be fantastic. Architecture does contribute to gameplay. Good looking maps are more fun to play than ugly maps.

Go back to the first door you got into the tech part with, click on the small button next to the door, go back to the start, kill the cyberdemon and walk around the outside of the beginning area to win.
Enjoy map 06. ;)

That's assuming you've got the red key. If you were a smart-ass and got in there without first getting the red key, then ten out of ten for style, but unfortunately you are trapped.

Grazza said:

That's assuming you've got the red key. If you were a smart-ass and got in there without first getting the red key, then ten out of ten for style, but unfortunately you are trapped.

It's situations like these that make me happy to be a Zdoom editor. You can make lines impassable and then make them passable after you do something in the level. This prevents people from taking shortcuts or trapping themselves.