Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Another few confessions: When I saw my mum go to the teleporter at the end of episode 1, I actually cried when you get attacked to death, I musta been around 6 or something.

Another interesting confession, I don't think I quite got the idea of co-op when I was a kid, I was always shooting my mum ingame.

I used to think that the radiation shielding suit went towards the item%.

I recently done a whole month of playing nothing but Doom.

Back when i was in like 7th grade my grades weren't to grate so i had to take a break from online doom for about 2 years (2007-2008) Returned in 2009!

Another few confessions: When I saw my mum go to the teleporter at the end of episode 1, I actually cried when you get attacked to death, I musta been around 6 or something

Similar story for me, especially since I IDDQD'd everything back then.

So radiation suits are not counted towards item %, despite being an item? In that case, I never knew that too.

Scypek2 said:

So radiation suits are not counted towards item %, despite being an item? In that case, I never knew that too.

To be fair, I used to just collect what I was able to pick up and all that, so I never noticed, I actually can't remember where I heard that Rad suit doesn't go towards the items, but it was most likely a few years ago probably.

BloodyAcid said:

Similar story for me, especially since I IDDQD'd everything back then.

That must have been gutting, taking your first step onto sector 11 and all.

BlackJack said:

Back when i was in like 7th grade my grades weren't to grate so i had to take a break from online doom for about 2 years (2007-2008) Returned in 2009!

Holy cow... me too, but high school, and in 1995.

Scypek2 said:

So radiation suits are not counted towards item %, despite being an item?

You mean powerup. Yeah, back in the days when I was Silan-sensitive towards my pretty 3x100%, it took me endless hours to re-explore E1M6 for a single dropped health bonus. I saved IFO the exit, and saw 98%. Damnit. Go backwards, managed to get two lost Armor bonuses in the "maze" which you venture in for the yellow key. Saves and presses again. 99%? Holy ****! It was the point I came round of the fact that I've missed the rad suit in the "5 pillars in nukage" central room. I was really pissed off when I had to re-wait the closing-opening door. And then, ending algorhythm. Intentionally doesn't press space to display all at once - Item counter still stops at 99!
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Back then, it was really a pain in the ass. There were no ports showing in the automap how much I've killed, how many secrets I've explored and how many items I've picked up. And this very-last always screwed me up, even along with the believing that Radsuits and Backpacks are also counted into the item percentage (since under all circumstances were they able to be picked up).

Actually, these are the ones:
- Health Bonus
- Armor Bonus
- Berserk
- Invisiblity
- Soulsphere
- Lite Amplification Goggles
- Computer Area Map*
- Invulnerablity
- Megasphere**

* For this one, some ports don't support picking up more than one, thus rendering the player unable to accomplish 100% items at the end of the level if there are two or more (Hell Revealed MAP23).
** Only appears in DoomII.

I remember when I used to give a shit about 100 % this or that. Reminds me of how my sister used to needlessly waste ammo in Wolf 3D just so she could collect EVERY last clip, and I would scold her for it.

GoatLord said:

I remember when I used to give a shit about 100 % this or that. Reminds me of how my sister used to needlessly waste ammo in Wolf 3D just so she could collect EVERY last clip, and I would scold her for it.

I never wanted to collect all ammo on the level but I did wasted a bullet or two in Wolf to reduce the cluster of clips to, for example, exact one line. I might have a slight OCD (but only slight, as I don't even care about mess on my desk).

I am way too enthusiastic about Doom 4, possibly more than just about anyone here. I google Doom 4 news at least once a week as of late. Funny how after five years of doing that, the only thing I can say is, "id restarted the project...twice."

I lost all enthusiasm for Doom 4 after the initial "ZOMFG a new Doom game!!!!!111oneone" reaction wore off, which any Doomer at least secretly experiences at the time of such an announcement. I honestly don't know WHAT to expect, and I'm completely apathetic about it.

That logo is the only thing I still get remotely excited about. But they'll probably change it for something bland and boring.

I used to think that Spectres were glitched or something. I knew they were supposed to be partially invisible, but I thought the weird black static effect was a mistake. I thought they were supposed to be translucent, and that either there was a bug in the game or that I had a setting wrong.

GoatLord said:

You have a sister who played Wolfenstein, you say?

When creating a new map, I always start by making a 512x512 room (which is why my maps are not even worth uploading to /idgames). I am also a crate addict. All my maps must contain crates, even if there had to be just a single 16x16 crate hidden in a corner, but when that happens, I think "but the poor tiny crate's so lonely" and add a thousand others.
I also used to be scared of Doom II's Map30 when I was a little kid. Mainly because of the music, Romero's impaled head, linedef 55 and the fact that no matter how much I iddqd'd, I always ended up dead with an arachnotron spawning in my place. Damn telefragging.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

You have a sister who played Wolfenstein, you say?

This cant be heading anywhere good

This thread's awesome, haha.

*I've only ever finished Doom3, its expansion and Ultimate Doom without cheating (E1 and E3 on UT, E4 on HMP).

*I think the levels on Doom 1 are far more entertaining than Doom 2.

*I almost always have the music on Doom turned off. I prefer my own music in the background or silence.

*I believe starting with only the rifle on the Wolfenstein level in Doom2 with Brutal Doom loaded is a great idea of fun and challenge.

*I started on more than 50 level projects and eventually ended up deleting all of them except for three of them.

*The temporary name for one of them is "blackfuckingsodomybeheritkvlt666.wad", while having absolutely nothing to do with sodomy.

*I can't stand the thought of playing vanilla ever again ever since I discovered source ports.

*I'm way too used to mouse aiming now.

*I hate the Doom movie with a passion. The Rock sucks and the lack of Hell/cyberdemon was really annoying.

blackthrones said:

This thread's awesome, haha.
*I started on more than 50 level projects and eventually ended up deleting all of them except for three of them.

I'll admit, mapping can be a challenge. I've been doing it, I guess for a year now, and have yet to release a single map. But how does that happen? 50 projects and rejecting 47 of them? What a shame.

Well, I am still at only one project finished, and 7 suspended (one is a community, all the others are personal), so I'm still at a better rate, only to think of not to become so self-rejective as you.

GoatLord said:

I'll admit, mapping can be a challenge. I've been doing it, I guess for a year now, and have yet to release a single map. But how does that happen? 50 projects and rejecting 47 of them? What a shame.

I've been doing it since around 2010, been slowly getting better at it since the beginning. It probably isn't that many if most of them are just complete rebuilds of a same concept/story that I just got too tired to try again. Now I got some ideas for the ones I'm working on now that I know I won't get sick of.

Only wads I finished that are probably worth releasing are just gameplay mods and a monster, one that I uploaded onto /idgames days ago that randomizes imps into different styles and strengths found from Realm667.

GoatLord said:

Same story here. Modding for 4 years, released an amount of projects I can count on two hands. How many have I started? More than 20, at least. I have a folder for "abandoned," which I look back on and look back at the stuff I thought was good.

I built my first map way back in 2007 or 2008 when I first discovered Doom and Doombuilder. It was 2 rooms with ASHWALL2 (the gray) texture and the CEIL5_2 (brown) flats for both ceiling and floor. Basically, you started in a room with a blue skull key, went to the door, and opened it. In the exit room I put a Romero head because back then I didn't know how to make an exit switch (LOL). I was proud of my first map when I built it. :P

Another biggie: I always build with Doombuilder 1, even to this day. I really like DB1, and can't stand DB2 (yes, I have tried it various times before. I even tried using it to help my friend make a ZDoom project). I just like the easy, original features of DB1, and it's really all I need considering I only make maps for prboom and stuff. I don't mod or anything, nor do I like ZDoom that much (except for running WADs like Sunder).

A third confession is that I like Doom midis that most sane people find excruciatingly annoying. Good old Mock 2. :)

Wow, what a long post. :o

I don't think I've ever sat down to seriously play DOOM in nightmare! skill level; aside from a couple of speedruns and in co-op mode. I've just always played in ultra-violence heh.

Another thing is that I did not know at all that cheat codes existed until shortly after I returned to the game in 2009 (I had been playing it for years before I took a break though)