Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinnie245

Nightdive Teasing Blood

19 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The play testers did actually play Blood a lot, as has Kaiser and I. What you get is what happens when you are required to disassemble an entire engine and are, in fact, only human. I don't know if it was your intention but your post has actually come off as quite rude.

I'm not going to argue with the devs themselves about how good a job they (you) did. I'm just putting my view out there for the players to think about.

So I played a bit with DX11, and so far it seems to be a bit smoother than OpenGL. But it also seems to share the hitching issue with V-Sync, just less noticeable.

That being said, I think a few things don't show up in OpenGL. The other tools don't show up on the wall with the hand saw secret on the first map for instance. The hand saw was the only one on the wall.

Some sound effects ought to be added to the menu, and nothing seems to affect the volume of the cutscenes, yikes.

2 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

I'm not going to argue with the devs themselves about how good a job they (you) did. I'm just putting my view out there for the players to think about.

So you'll start out wrong and keep being wrong then by suggesting bullshit like "didn't play the original" or "lazy", cool. Do you know anything about Kaiser? He's been working on three separate projects for the last 4 months. He lives and breathes code. Suggesting he put in anything less than full effort is an insult, plain and simple.

Very little that's divergent is that way intentionally - some things are broken and fixes will be forthcoming; some things simply were not noticed. How many dedicated QA positions do you think we have? And a few things time just ran out on and have to be post-release fixes. It's like people think game devs would intentionally break things. This ain't AAA, we put care into the titles.

It's not worth anybody's time to be going on an Internet crusade over and I don't know what the people doing it think the end result will be other than fake Internet points from people with the same viewpoint.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Hell, it's even easily arguable that AAA devs put a shit load of effort into their work as well. Doom 2016 gave us a rare glimpse into the utter insanity of full scale rendering pipeline production, for example.

You know, just to note. :P

Sure. But we know a lot of studios are just grindhouses, too. It's going to naturally vary and it usually shows in the end product.

7 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Also the "minimal HUD" seems to be always locked in 4:3

But with ALL of that said, we live in the age of patches. Every single game seems to be bugged at launch but eventually gets fixed. Here's hoping Fresh Supply gets it's flaws ironed out. Even with all of this in mind, it just feels like justice has been done in a way with this coming out, and I still think that they did a bang up job getting out an adequate product that will surely make Blood a lot more accessible to newcomers. And the fact that they rewrote the netcode and added splitscreen of all things makes me immensely happy.

Yeah i noticed the minimal HUD too, but it's not a big deal for me imo. I guess when you dual-wield it can be a slight issue though. It's not game breaking, just a visual thing that will more then likely get fixed like you also state.

And yeah, I haven't tried the multi-player/splitscreen out so that should be really fun!

19 minutes ago, seed said:

So I played a bit with DX11, and so far it seems to be a bit smoother than OpenGL. But it also seems to share the hitching issue with V-Sync, just less noticeable.

That being said, I think a few things don't show up in OpenGL. The other tools don't show up on the wall with the hand saw secret on the first map for instance. The hand saw was the only one on the wall.

Some sound effects ought to be added to the menu, and nothing seems to affect the volume of the cutscenes, yikes.

Yeah i'm just playing it on DX11 as i actually noticed that too but i actually turned off my V-Sync and surprisingly i don't get any screen tearing. I just locked my FPS to 60 as that's what the Hz of my monitor is.

It's really fun so far imo, how you can kick around heads and the blood squirts out of 'em haha! I should of played this game years ago!

24 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

actually noticed that too but i actually turned off my V-Sync and surprisingly i don't get any screen tearing. I just locked my FPS to 60 as that's what the Hz of my monitor is.

Hm, I think the framerate might be locked on that of the monitor, so perhaps it won't be too bad without vsync here.

24 minutes ago, seed said:

Hm, I think the framerate might be locked on that of the monitor, so perhaps it won't be too bad without vsync here.

Framerate is locked to whatever you set it to. As a curiosity, what is your resolution set to, specifically the refresh rate (the @##hz at the end)? 

44 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Framerate is locked to whatever you set it to. As a curiosity, what is your resolution set to, specifically the refresh rate (the @##hz at the end)? 

1080p @ 60hz.

E: Yeah, seems I completely missed the framerate option. It was 60 anyway.

Meanwhile, prob going to say something stupid but, does the FOV affect the accuracy of enemies or something like that? When I played on the third difficulty yesterday, and FOV > 90, I got completely destroyed by Cultists, shooting me on sight and doing a crap ton of damage. Now that doesn't happen again with FOV 90. Interesting. @Edward850 ?

Edited by seed

My biggest gripe is the Multiplayer, for a remaster it's really lacking in that department.

Server browser desperately needs more information on what you're connecting to, that aspect almost feels rushed out the door.

Also, I guess the overall lesson learned for Nightdive is that it's best to choose games that have less potential competition when it comes to PC ports. (though I think it will still sell well regardless, thanks to Youtubers such as Civvie and Gmanlives)

Given that Fresh Supply was preempted by two different reverse-engineering projects, it doesn't really have much going for it anymore.  Any errors in porting it are just salt on the wound at that point.

40 minutes ago, Doom64hunter said:

Also, I guess the overall lesson learned for Nightdive is that it's best to choose games that have less potential competition when it comes to PC ports. (though I think it will still sell well regardless, thanks to Youtubers such as Civvie and Gmanlives)

Fans who have waited for years for an official remaster will most likely support it as well, as I did.

Hard work deserves compensation.

8 hours ago, Edward850 said:

That's so rare that it's statistically improbable, from our experience. There was a brief time Vulkan would do that on Nvidia drivers a couple of years ago but that issue seems to be long since dead just the same.

And yet the incident with 20 blue screens on my computer happened with a February 2019 driver (the GZDoom vulkan implementation was started less than 2 months ago).

I'm not saying that the kex engine has a bug, but if you hear people using your program experience blue screens you need to start consider the possibility that the program has a bug that triggers an error in a driver. Especially right after a launch where it is suddenly exposed to far more hardware and driver versions than you could reasonably been testing it on. If it is coming from one person alone it is probably hardware failure, if it is coming from multiple people it could be a more serious problem that you may have to address. Ranting about statistic improbabilities this early on is just silly - you don't have enough data yet to conclude anything.

35 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I wish Outlaws would get a remake or remaster.

I've never played that one but i'd totally be down for either that, Star Wars: Dark Forces (that would be fantastic!) or PowerSlave (never played that one either but heard it's great). A nice source port (or remaster if that's not possible) of any of those would be fine by me ;)

Blood: Fresh Supply literally just released so i'm sure that'll be the main priority for now, although i'm sure Nightdive Studios are working on a few other projects as i type.

@Edward850 Someone is documenting the problems he had with the port (the first one doesn't look like one if auto-crouch is OFF by default, I guess?). I figured it would be helpful for the potential coming updates, but I suppose someone linked it to you already haha.

7 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I've never played that one but i'd totally be down for either that, Star Wars: Dark Forces (that would be fantastic!) or PowerSlave (never played that one either but heard it's great). A nice source port (or remaster if that's not possible) of any of those would be fine by me ;)

Blood: Fresh Supply literally just released so i'm sure that'll be the main priority for now, although i'm sure Nightdive Studios are working on a few other projects as i type.

PowerSlave EX already happened, and it's getting revived as well.

https://powerslaveex.wordpress.com/

4 hours ago, seed said:

So, it might not necessarily be connected to it actually. Even with v-sync off there's some hitching every now and then in both renders. Didn't bother with Vulkan yet.

7 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Not every level in Blood has music. In fact there are more levels without music than there is with music.

i never knew about this. then again, most of my experience with the game was playing the shareware version, which has different music for the first episode. something i found annoying when i got the original GOG version, because the music for the first episode is entirely different, and IMO not as good (i'm also not a fan of the CD soundtrack personally, plus it seems to have issues looping).

this version looks good though, and i'm gonna give it a try.

Been finding some little glitches in the hud on minimal. Other than that, and the mp needing to be polished a bit, this is a great port so far!

2019-05-11 09_21_46-Blood EX - Version Date_ May  8 2019 (OpenGL).png

10 hours ago, Quasar said:

So you'll start out wrong and keep being wrong then by suggesting bullshit like "didn't play the original" or "lazy", cool. Do you know anything about Kaiser? He's been working on three separate projects for the last 4 months. He lives and breathes code. Suggesting he put in anything less than full effort is an insult, plain and simple.

Very little that's divergent is that way intentionally - some things are broken and fixes will be forthcoming; some things simply were not noticed. How many dedicated QA positions do you think we have? And a few things time just ran out on and have to be post-release fixes. It's like people think game devs would intentionally break things. This ain't AAA, we put care into the titles.

It's not worth anybody's time to be going on an Internet crusade over and I don't know what the people doing it think the end result will be other than fake Internet points from people with the same viewpoint.

Well, I thought that after buying and playing the game I could voice my honest opinion on an unrelated forum without my character being called into question by the devs. Guess that was wrong.

I know that the issues aren't intentional. But when I pay money for a game that's not advertised as early access/beta, I expect it to be complete or very near it.

23 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

Well, I thought that after buying and playing the game I could voice my honest opinion on an unrelated forum without my character being called into question by the devs. Guess that was wrong.

I know that the issues aren't intentional. But when I pay money for a game that's not advertised as early access/beta, I expect it to be complete or very near it.

And did you get an incomplete game? Sure, maybe one that's a little rough around the edges, I can agree with that, but it's otherwise a solid product, especially when you consider what a nightmare it must have been to get it into its current state, and with limited resources. SP is complete, MP is more or less complete apart from some needed polish (I have 0 interest on MP so that's a no-issue for me anyway), has both expansions, a decent chunk of features (such as 3 renders, that's pretty awesome), and it actually works. And there's more on the way (Mac and Linux support are coming, for one). There might be some differences, but there's no way around some of them, I think, and those that can be fixed, will be fixed.

No one is calling you out, but like Edward said, that particular post did come off as rude. Otherwise, it is very good that you have expressed your opinion. Still, if you think they have failed to deliver/meet your expectations, you can always ask for a refund.

9 hours ago, dpJudas said:

I'm not saying that the kex engine has a bug, but if you hear people using your program experience blue screens you need to start consider the possibility that the program has a bug that triggers an error in a driver. Especially right after a launch where it is suddenly exposed to far more hardware and driver versions than you could reasonably been testing it on. If it is coming from one person alone it is probably hardware failure, if it is coming from multiple people it could be a more serious problem that you may have to address. Ranting about statistic improbabilities this early on is just silly - you don't have enough data yet to conclude anything.

We've had zero blue screen incidents during Bloods entire production and his is the only report of a Kernel Panic post release. Stop giving him false leads, he needs to investigate his own hardware pronto.

I don't do this sort of thing to deflect so I'm not sure why you're giving me such a hard time with this. We do research, we investigate, I do very much know what I'm talking about, and if there was a slightest chance it was caused by Kex we'd be on it like flies on shit. But there isn't, there's no evidence, there's no supporting information, there's nothing, and I do not make that decision lightly.

Edited by Edward850

I posted this in the Steam forum but it went unanswered (unsurprisingly)

How do you configure controls for other players in splitscreen mode? Are they hardcoded to use gamepad only? I couldn't get secondary mice and keyboard to work.

Is there an official ticket/tracking system where I can post bug reports and suggestions? Seems awfully sloppy to dump everything into noisy forum threads

15 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I don't do this sort of thing to deflect so I'm not sure why you're giving me such a hard time with this.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Only reason I commented was because the first post of yours was put in such dismissive words. I don't doubt you guys are doing your very best to give people a good experience with Blood. For what it's worth I hope you sell a lot of copies and get good reviews because there must have gone a lot of work into this.

37 minutes ago, Nash said:

How do you configure controls for other players in splitscreen mode? Are they hardcoded to use gamepad only? I couldn't get secondary mice and keyboard to work.

You can reconfigure the controls and settings of other players simply by having them open the menu, it's context sensitive to which player opens it. 

However it is indeed gamepad only. SDL2 only provides understanding of a single keyboard/mouse input, we cannot identify which one it came from. 

17 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

I've played Blood many times, as well most usermaps worth a damn, and play its deathmatch mode almost every day. This is not an accurate port. It's as if whatever playtesters they hired haven't actually played Blood recently, or just didn't care if it's accurate. There are SO many little issues (impossible to list them all) that really add up to an experience that is outright inferior to the free fan-made ports already out there. Sad but true.

Can you list some inaccuracies? So when I play the game I know what I'm looking for? I'm such a nerd for this stuff!

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Can you list some inaccuracies? So when I play the game I know what I'm looking for? I'm such a nerd for this stuff!

The most obvious inaccuracies to me are cultists making different/wrong pain & death noises, the shotgun & tommygun being significantly more effective, the voodoo doll being much less effective (it has to be aimed now), and the TNT's mid-air explosion sprite being wrong. Someone has made a video of various issues too.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

However it is indeed gamepad only

Yikes, okay I guess I'll have to forget playing splitscreen then... for an extremely unforgiving and fast-paced game like Blood, gamepads are impractical, actually they're out of the question for me.

58 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

cultists making different/wrong pain & death noises [...] and the TNT's mid-air explosion sprite being wrong.

Those actually look more like bugs/oversights to me rather than the kind of inaccuracies you get from porting the game to a different engine.

This release feels a bit unfinished, like a beta. It works and all but it needs some fine tuning and some quality of life improvements like passwords for servers.

Split screen is a nice edition, though. After some patches this thing will be great.