Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinnie245

Nightdive Teasing Blood

I'm happy for everyone about this... but what about that much bigger System Shock remake?

Don't we have a member of Night Dive in Doomworld?

Wasn't there a fan remake in the works a few years ago? Fan remakes are far from official of course.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

I'm pretty sure that there is two members here and I think I know who they are.

I think I do too, but it's been a few years since I've recalled exactly who they are. They've mentioned it a few times. Perhaps in the Turok thread?

3 hours ago, geo said:

I think I do too, but it's been a few years since I've recalled exactly who they are. They've mentioned it a few times. Perhaps in the Turok thread?

A quick search of the Doomwiki reveals that Quasar (who literally posted just before me) and Kaiser both worked on porting Strife: Veteran Edition and that they both work for Night Dive Studios.

I'd assume that they'd have a better understanding of the situation at Night Dive than anyone else here. I also assume that they won't be spoiling whatever it is Night Dive is teasing until the company actually does a press release.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it actually is Night Dive is teasing, regardless. I've only played a small amount of Blood thanks to the DOSBOX port on Steam being less than ideal for me, and if this teaser is for an updated port I will no longer have any excuse to not play Blood!

I've worked on the re-releases of Turok, Turok 2, Noctropolis, Forsaken, porting 3 of these to the Xbox One, and other miscellaneous projects in that time.

But what of Jace Hall? He was originally trying to get a hold of the Blood IP from Atari.

As someone who likes Blood, I'm not looking forward to it getting the treatment System Shock has.

Also, their treatment of SSP means there's a chance that they're going to go on a crusade against Doom wads that use the Blood resources, which is pretty much every wad ever from the Russian scene.  Good times are about to roll!

Nobody's going on any damn crusades. And it's not even the same team who would be working on it.

I’m fairly grateful to Night Dive, for grabbing all the retro games and selling them again in a legal format.

Be interesting to see what happens with blood.

Should that be true I'm hyped, I wonder whether that's going to be a real source port, a remake, or whatever. Better than nothing anyway.

Now I'm curious what Jace Hall had in store since he teased something related to Blood a while ago but no other news came afterwards.

I can't say if Night Dive are or are not releasing a Blood port, but if they do I'll finally be likely to play it! They did a stellar job with Strife: VE - I couldn't agree more with both Sparktimus' and Liberation's stances.

Spoiler

I guess Cynical is just being true to their namesake. Ignore them, just acting like a child with a grudge.

Edited by Dragonfly

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I can't say if Night Dive are or are not releasing a Blood port, but if they do I'll finally be likely to play it! They did a stellar job with Strife: VE - I couldn't agree more with both Spactimus' and Liberation's stances.

Reveal hidden contents

I guess Cynical is just being true to their namesake. Ignore them, just acting like a child with a grudge.

Why can't you play it with GDX Blood for the time being? Of course you still need to buy the game from either Steam or GoG. GDX Blood is so much better than using dosbox, dosbox was turning me away from playing Blood more than one playthrough every few months now I play it more often.

Edited by Avoozl

6 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Why can't you play it with GDX Blood for the time being? Of course you still need to buy the game from either Steam or GoG. GDX Blood is so much better than using dosbox, dosbox was turning me away from playing Blood more than one playthrough every few months now I play it more often.

BloodGDX is an absolute god send for the game and the way I currently prefer to play myself, but a game company who actually gives a shit about the IP itself getting the rights to it and releasing the game with an official source port of their own would only help the game. With all of the quality of life features ND gave to System Shock, it would be very keen to have something like that.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

The real answer to this is I currently don't have the time. Also, having experienced both Strife and Strife: Veteran Edition, I can say with absolute certainty that I found it most enjoyable in VE. I know the difference is negligible, but I enjoyed myself and that's all that matters. I also feel like the chaps who work in the NightDive team deserve some credit and a portion of the financial input for keeping these ageing games alive.

Regardless of if ND are releasing blood or not, I will eventually get it, so knowing about BloodGDX is a good backup solution, thanks!

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Now I'm curious what Jace Hall had in store since he teased something related to Blood a while ago but no other news came afterwards.

He said he didn't know yet what the Revival project would really be, you can read about this here, he had been teasing this idea since like 2012 or something, and nothing came out of it, safe to say there wasn't enough interest to support his idea, both on his side and the fanbase side.

2 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Why can't you play it with GDX Blood for the time being?

One word: Java.

That's literally the main reason why some of us DOSBox Blood folk avoid it like plague since it's notoriously insecure, so if what Night Dive are cooking is a proper, non Java based source port a la SSEE/SS2EE that's great news in my book.

@tempdecal.wad Yeah, I'm aware that nothing came out from the revival he teased back in 2012, but I also noticed he didn't really gave up on the idea since he brought it up again in 2016, so who knows.

Do you know this from experience? I haven't had any troubles with java so far and I got an update not long ago, I really don't understand the problems people have been having with it. Also what is proper? This version did benefit from some of the leaked source code and reverse engineering, the game seems to work the way it was intended and I've played and enjoyed it many times now.

Also I never said anything against Night Dive creating their own port.

Edited by Avoozl

28 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

One word: Java.

That's literally the main reason why some of us DOSBox Blood folk avoid it like plague since it's notoriously insecure, so if what Night Dive are cooking is a proper, non Java based source port a la SSEE/SS2EE that's great news in my book.

Hear, hear!

Edited by HavoX

3 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Do you know this from experience?

Not with Java specifically but other software and that can literally ruin your trust into them (among other things, to say so). A bit old but this article could probably still be useful.

All of this is more than enough to make me not want to have anything to do with it.

Looking through a thread on Duke4 some people have mentioned that the game works on the portable version of Java and something about it being less of a problem, I'm not sure how this can be validated though.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

Also I never said anything against Night Dive creating their own port.

Neither myself nor anyone else implied you do have anything against Night Dive? That said, you do kinda give off that vibe. :P I believe it's unintentional on your part, but your tone / persistence in regards to BloodGDX implies something against what NightDive might be doing.