Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

DOOM Unity port WAD Suggestion thread

5 hours ago, Chip said:

I do want to mention that this years Cacowards did include many Vanilla-compatible Megawads as both winners and runner ups [...] The list includes:

[...]

Down the Drain (Which I'm pretty sure is not licenced, though I honestly didn't look into it all that much)

[...]

Not sure what licensed means in this context, but all the maps and crappy gfx are by me, should be no prob. The midis would be a problem but it's designed to be played without them too.

@sponge Hey Sponge, I know you’re likely busy but you’re the one I’ve found who is in control of the add ons for the doom unity ports. I just wanted to ask if plutonia 2 could be added when you have time? I believe it won in the cacoawards and would be a good addition to the unity ports. And it would be fitting as the original plutonia experiment is in the game. 

3 hours ago, Venom5157 said:

@sponge Hey Sponge, I know you’re likely busy but you’re the one I’ve found who is in control of the add ons for the doom unity ports. I just wanted to ask if plutonia 2 could be added when you have time? I believe it won in the cacoawards and would be a good addition to the unity ports. And it would be fitting as the original plutonia experiment is in the game. 

I remember playing Plutonia 2 on even UV I think, after I played Plutonia on UV. It was challenging, but it was fun to enter the world of not so easy Wads.

I think it should be worth to be added.

We've been over it. There's a few assets from other commercial games (admittedly replaceable), but the main issue is that they need everyone from the project to sign off on it.

Gusta and Erik Alm haven't been around in a good long while, for instance, so they're not easy to contact.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:39 PM, Faceman2000 said:

According to WadArchive that would need a Boom-compatible port, which the official port is not.

I think you're thinking of Greenwar II. I'm pretty sure OG Greenwar is vanilla-compatible.

idk if anyone's already suggested this, but Arrival should definitely be added. Definitely fits well with a lot of the PWADs currently available. 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:54 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

We've been over it. There's a few assets from other commercial games (admittedly replaceable), but the main issue is that they need everyone from the project to sign off on it.

Gusta and Erik Alm haven't been around in a good long while, for instance, so they're not easy to contact.

Cant we just imagine that they would say yes anyway lol. I know it doesn't work like that but can't see any authors saying no to a project designed for doom fans to enjoy 

10 minutes ago, LarKo said:

Cant we just imagine that they would say yes anyway lol. I know it doesn't work like that but can't see any authors saying no to a project designed for doom fans to enjoy 

Okay, they agreed in the multiverse.

How is Plutonia 2 doing?

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

idk if anyone's already suggested this, but Arrival should definitely be added. Definitely fits well with a lot of the PWADs currently available. 

I’d be willing to bet money that Arrival gets added at some point.

5 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Oh really? I didn’t realize every creator has to sign off. Plutonia 2 does have various creators so maybe that’s why it hasn’t been added. Hopefully Sponge and Id can find a way to make it happen because Plutonia 2 looked really good after I saw decino play it. 

7 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

I remember playing Plutonia 2 on even UV I think, after I played Plutonia on UV. It was challenging, but it was fun to enter the world of not so easy Wads.

I think it should be worth to be added.

Yeah I unfortunately don’t play on pc so I never had the opportunity to play Plutonia 2. I liked Plutonia a lot though and while Plutonia 2 is unofficial, it looks like a fun sequel done right.

1 hour ago, Venom5157 said:

Hopefully Sponge and Id can find a way to make it happen because Plutonia 2 looked really good after I saw decino play it. 

They'd have to conjure up every single one of them, for legal liability reasons. If they can't be reached, say no, or worse, they've passed on, it's a no-go.

1 hour ago, Venom5157 said:

I unfortunately don’t play on pc so I never had the opportunity to play Plutonia 2.

Well, give it a try some time. Ports like Crispy Doom and DSDA are very user friendly, and they don't need an even remotely powerful system to be played. Any cheap old laptop from the past 10 to 15 years, in workable order, could do it. Stuff like GzDoom is another matter, but you don't need something like that to play Plutonia 2 or other Vanilla or Boom .wads

14 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

They'd have to conjure up every single one of them, for legal liability reasons. If they can't be reached, say no, or worse, they've passed on, it's a no-go.

Well, give it a try some time. Ports like Crispy Doom and DSDA are very user friendly, and they don't need an even remotely powerful system to be played. Any cheap old laptop from the past 10 to 15 years, in workable order, could do it. Stuff like GzDoom is another matter, but you don't need something like that to play Plutonia 2 or other Vanilla or Boom .wads

Yeah the legal problem is there but didn’t wads like btsx have a lot of creators as well? Those had no problem being added, unless it has to do with something about Plutonia 2 being older or certain creators. Thanks for the advice, I will try crispy doom one day if I can get a semi decent laptop. 

Plutonia 2 was in development since 2000 and was released on December 31, 2008. 2008 until now could be a long time period to contact all developers from this Wad, I think.

I would also recommend to play on a laptop or even on a mobile phone via Delta Touch. The last one could be also played with a controller.

19 hours ago, Venom5157 said:

Yeah the legal problem is there but didn’t wads like btsx have a lot of creators as well?

Yeah, but all those users were still active in the last 5 years or so,

The general cutoff point as far as i know is 2010 WADS or so from what i recall from a Sponge post. Anything earlier and it just becomes too difficult to track down the original authors for.

Those had no problem being added, unless it has to do with something about Plutonia 2 being older or certain creators.

It does:

On 1/18/2022 at 3:54 PM, ChopBlock223 said:

The full list is here.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Yeah, but all those users were still active in the last 5 years or so,

The general cutoff point as far as i know is 2010 WADS or so from what i recall from a Sponge post. Anything earlier and it just becomes too difficult to track down the original authors for.

It does:

The full list is here.

Yeah that diminishes the chance for Plutonia 2 but you never know. Maybe they could reach those creators though understandable if it’s never added. I do believe unity is overdue for some wads however. If people recommended Plutonia 2 more or some other wads maybe unity can get one soon. 

15 minutes ago, Venom5157 said:

If people recommended Plutonia 2 more or some other wads maybe unity can get one soon. 

Oh, plenty have been recommended. Bourgeois Deathmatch, Arrival, Base Ganymede, DTWiD 1 and 2, Doom in Spain Only, Alpha Accident, 25 Years on Earth. . . All are very possible and have been recommended quite a few times. Heck, with @years back Nihility: Infinite Teeth is an option now, and a lot of people have suggested that one.

I believe the issue is Sponge’s time. He’s in charge of this port and the Quake port and both of their addons, plus whatever other responsibilities he has that I’m unaware of. I imagine between this and Quake, Quake addons are priority right now as Doom already has a healthy selection.

All that being said, we haven’t gotten a new addon for Doom since July and I would absolutely love it if another happens to be on the horizon.

6 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Oh, plenty have been recommended. Bourgeois Deathmatch, Arrival, Base Ganymede, DTWiD 1 and 2, Doom in Spain Only, Alpha Accident, 25 Years on Earth. . . All are very possible and have been recommended quite a few times. Heck, with @years back Nihility: Infinite Teeth is an option now, and a lot of people have suggested that one.

I believe the issue is Sponge’s time. He’s in charge of this port and the Quake port and both of their addons, plus whatever other responsibilities he has that I’m unaware of. I imagine between this and Quake, Quake addons are priority right now as Doom already has a healthy selection.

All that being said, we haven’t gotten a new addon for Doom since July and I would absolutely love it if another happens to be on the horizon.

Yeah he definitely has a lot on his plate, it surprises me that Id doesn’t have more people working in these areas. I haven’t looked into the wads you mentioned but maybe I’ll take a look. It’s nice there’s quake but I just want more doom lol. Fingers crossed one comes out sooner rather than later. 

I know DTWID has been brought up before, but do you think it'd be possible to pull maps from TLE to fill in the maps that couldn't be added due to not being able to get ahold of some of the mappers?

Heretic and Hexen textures, and even music are no longer an issue due to Microsoft owning both Bethesda and Activision Blizzard. So it's now possible for Operation Biowar to be added. It and 2002: A Doom Odyssey are the only classic megawads I expect to be added.

1 hour ago, RileyXY1 said:

due to Microsoft owning both Bethesda and Activision Blizzard.

It's not that simple.

First, it's not true yet. The deal is expected to be completed in 2023. At the moment, officially, Microsoft does not own Activision. You can compare that to when Microsoft acquired ZeniMax, the deal was announced in September 2020 but it was only effective six months later in March 2021.

Secondly, it remains to be seen how much facilities there are for exchanges between different branches. Because id is in the ZeniMax/Bethesda branch and Raven is in the Activision-Blizzard branch. There could still be problem. For example Embracer Group owns both Gearbox and 3D Realms, but the situation for Duke Nukem remains a clusterfuck nonetheless.

Thirdly, the licensing they have for various bit of work involved for those games may only be exclusive to that work or franchise. Like for example the music in Forsaken, which is Nightdive's in some sense but I wouldn't be quick to try sticking its music in another unrelated game.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:54 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

We've been over it. There's a few assets from other commercial games (admittedly replaceable)

The only thing PL2 has that would need to be replaced is a Duke Nukem 3D song used for MAP28. Honestly, PL2 is my absolutely top pick for a new addon, but considering some of the authors haven't been active for a good while, I don't really have my hopes up.

I think it's pretty cool that community-made Doom content is getting recognized by id like this. I wish some of the older, classic megawads (like Memento Mori) had a shot, but I understand why that can't happen. As it stands the official add-ons have a bit of a recency bias, mostly wads from the past ten years.

As long as they get the permission of the creators, any wad that doesn't use stuff from content not owned by Bethesda is possible, this is why more recent wads are preferable, it's easier to reach the creators and a lot of old wads used to have sprites from Build games and others. I wonder if wads with Heretic/Hexen sprites will be available if Microsoft buys Raven, but who knows.
I would really like to see Bourgeouis Deathmatch since Sigil is the only mapset with dedicated DM arenas. Other than that I would like to see anything with a very "alternative" map design or maps with custom enemies, textures and weapons using Dehacked.

7 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

I would really like to see Bourgeouis Deathmatch since Sigil is the only mapset with dedicated DM arenas.

My fingers have been crossed for so long that I think they're stuck this way.

No idea if it'll work with Doom Unity, but if it can, I'd love to see TNT Revilution become playable.