Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomkid rants and raves about his life n' other crap [Oversized Blog]

read through all of it, sorry 'bout to hear your problems with jewel, and america n' all that, venting is healthy & glad you trust doomworld to hear eith problems, I wish you the best as you are one of my idols, in one way or another.

I don't usually read these very long self reflective posts, but I did. Doomkid got some credible points built up because you tend to be very rational and friendly on here. I think one silver lining to your heavy self reflection / criticisms is honing your skills to analyse and express your thoughts and feelings rationally.

Which is interesting, considering your life story and emotional challenges, coupled with a divorce. The fact that you keep trying to bounce back and continue to maintain consistent work amongst it all is impressive. I think we are very different people and would disagree on many things (I'm probably more aligned with your father) but your composure and rationality earns my respect. Hopefully you're the same in your daily life.

Don't do drugs and keep losing weight. You WILL fall off the bandwagon and that's ok. It's about recognising it and having will power to gradually get back on track. Take small steps at a time, and eventually you'll climb a mountain before you know it. Sounds like you're already on the path. Quite the roller coaster ride, your life is.

Seriously I don't read these things let alone reply giving compliments. I don't like these type of threads. Recognise the validation I'm giving you!

Edited by Chezza

Well YAH Mr. DoomKid!

If you want to know what was going on with your family and that dichotomy of voting

one way and talking another, it's called "Nimby" ~ not in my back yard. I'm starting to

think it's a uniquely American attitude.

I never knew your age, I just assumed you were younger than I. I did catch a couple

of your Youtube videos years after we originally corresponded here, or was it Zandro?,

can't remember. Anyhow, so you're the same age as my kids basically. But.. you are

getting older. I've never had a big weight issue myself but don't care for the older

person, not in the best shape I can be version of myself either. After a small health

scare in 2012, I started eating better and making sure to get my exercise. I've lived in

Florida back in 1987/88 but generally, I live in a place with not as nice weather. Eight

years ago, I picked up roller skating as something to do indoors when the weather is

cold and crappy outside. It really changed my life. My chiropractor loves me for it

because it builds core strength. I love it because I get a tremendous workout, alot of

it is cardio. But it's also strengthening and balance enhancing. Those two go for both

physical and mental. Anyways, I KNOW there's a roller skating scene in Australia. It's

funny to me to notice the differences in skate preferences between our two continents.

Not sayin' ya have to pick up this hobby, just saying it works for me. If you do try it out,

be sure to invest in safety equipment! Wrist guards at a bare minimum and elbow pads

and a helmet if you try it outdoors.

Thanks for all you dedicate to DooM. Having read your story about the last decade and

a half of your life, I find it amazing that you've had the time to do as much in the Doom

community as you have! Personally, I've got one last level I'm working on and that will

probably end my computer work until autumn here. I'll shoot you another DM when I

release it.

Take care DoomKid!

Thank you Biz!, Chezza and Prfunky all for the replies!

I recognise and very much appreciate your validation, @Chezza. I’m really glad you took the time to read it and post.

Also I loved rollerblades when I was young @prfunky, but sort of grew out of them. Even if it’s just a one-off, I might give that a whirl again for the first time in a long time - I still enjoy swimming at the beach which I planned to do a little more as well to tighten up a bit.

That was a lot to read, but a great deal of it felt pretty familiar :) I have lived a very similiar life where music, doom, reefer and crazyness have been "redeeming factors" of an otherwise at times bleak existence & state of mind. Those feelings of inadequateness or whatever I had started diminishing rapidly after 30 years old or so, I'll be 43 this year and nowadays I don't have any other worries than my kids well-being and having enough cash for food, housing and bills. But those are practical problems, and much easier dealt with than depression and crap like that. Now and then, I try to picture what I would be like as a person at this time had I not started a family - but I think I'd be roughly the same guy.

Uh, well, anyways - to me, it sounds like you're on track to a better state of existence - being mindful about one's issues while avoiding to overthink them is a healthy way of looking at oneself. Getting stuff done is key! But don't leave behind doom or music (and possibly reefer as well). ;)

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

"Yeah yeah, all that faggy shit is fine, but don't make me look at it for fuck's sake!"

Man, this always frustrated me. Like, it's really nice you vote for a progressive candidate and thinking queers are people too but only as long as it doesn't in any way involve you. Everybody in their right mind sees that tucker is absolutely unhinged, it's easy to argue against him. That doesn't necessarily make one an ally, though. 

This isn't a nag at your folks but I've heard too many stories of people who've grown up in what seemed like pro-lgbt families, realised they're trans or gay or something, and got promptly kicked out. It's fucking heartbreaking, man. 

I'm glad you're learning to accept yourself fully, and have a good relationship with your folks. 

I'll skip over all the relationship things because as aro/ace, I've got no clue about any of that stuff. My last relationship was when I was 15yo, and I couldn't be happier with that state of affairs. It's so funny to remember when I was in a club, one girl with whom i danced the evening led me out, and kissed me. And my first thought was "alright, I guess we're doing this." No idea what I should do or even feel, tried to follow along and build a relationship. Of course it fell apart shortly after but it took me a good decade and half to realise I'm just wired differently. All this dating and sex you people do, yeah count me out. It is really fascinating to read/hear people's stories, though. It's so full of drama and intrigue, and intimity, must be absolutely exhausting actually feeling all that and living through it. I'm just vibing. The one thing I very much appreciate on relationships is the emotional closeness, like you can freely speak your mind and listen with full attention. That's nice, platonically. 

I'm not a long-time member, but definitely noticed your absence recently. The OP came across as very cathartic and it read like you are in a much better place now. Thank you for sharing.

Despite all of your hardships, it looks as if your life was one heck of a ride. I'm happy that you took life by the horns all without getting lost along the way. Some people can end in a dark place as a result of bad experiences and I'm happy it didn't happen to you.

As someone stuck with crippling anxiety disorder, I'm amazed at all you've been able to accomplish. Your tales were definitely of interest to me.

Good to have our Zappa resident back at it here again!

Glad to hear you've gotten things under control and you're moving forward to being happier.

Spoiler
20 hours ago, Doomkid said:

(holy fuck it's flown by)

inability to reASS

even though she usually ASSured

as mind-fucking

system of "rape you in the ass

drugged-up dumbass, no other way around

Damage Ass

Devilz Work and my pASS

image.png.652add94f4a3f618076ec92c56122fc6.png

I haven't been able to keep up with Doom lately as much as I would have liked to, but definitely missed the DK updates :) I am glad you have a place to vent and an outlet. You legitimately seem like a great dude from our few interactions and I love your work on here and on youtube so I am glad you are in a better place and am doing better mentally and physically. Feel free to shoot me a message if you ever want to vent or talk about anything at all, I work from home so I'm almost always around a computer lol

Hearing you relate your teenage years in such frank detail just made me think of how poorly I would've expressed myself during the same time because I didn't really understand my own internal issues, and when I was aware of anything, the idea of 'going that direction' to be brief, was just too inconceivable! I could go on, but this isn't my blogpost after all and I can guarantee this would go on far longer than anything not by you said so far if I were let off the gas. I completely agree on the overall shittiness of America though. Granted, Florida is kind of one of the worst states but seeing everything you've said, it's all a long way of saying that if we ever felt alienated from family, friends, or the world at large, we are not alone.

To say just a little more without bothering to properly explain the why and how: At any rate, the psychological damage and mild gaslighting from my parents is something that even years later, I can't completely live down. Probably makes me weak somehow, but we all do what we can. I suppose it's better than turning into some Joffrey-like psychotic prat or more realistically, this girl in Chicago that went to jail for life, but it's not easy at all.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

I could probably do my own little blog post, writing a big giant thing in Notepad so I can save and not lose it because the internet decided to b0rk or something.

But yea, I can relate with the depression stuff. Oddly enough, I too have been able to maintain a career for the most part, but often times for me it's ended up being dead end jobs and for the longest time until the past couple years, underpaid.

And of course there's this community, which I have been a member here since 2002, but really haven't propelled myself anywhere near stardom as I don't map. I was going pretty hard with the streaming stuff, but it's hard competing with the stalwarts on both platforms (Twitch and YT), so I just do it to have fun and if i get views, good, if not, oh well (even though I'd like to make affiliate on Twitch :P).

Regardless, thanks for sharing a bit of your life on here. I could surely write enough to fill five years of therapy sessions if I wanted, but there's too many details and nitpicks that it could get overbearing.

Cheers Doomkid, and hope you continue on your path to self-improvement. I know I try to do so myself.

It means a lot for you to bare your heart like this, DK. It sounds like you've been taking your first steps into a new perspective on life and I'm happy that you're willing to share it, as a great deal of us are around your age and I would wager that most of us have/are or will be experiencing a coming-of-age similar to this.

You've no doubt made somebody feel less alone in this regard. I know this post did that for me, at least.

Be proud of yourself, buddy.

I read everything, it inspires me to be a better person overall, and also achieve my life goals as well! Looks like you had a comeback to get things sorted, and I'm glad you sorted things out! <3

It's always good to be self-aware & look back on the things that have happened & based on that, improve yourself in any way you see fit.

Remember: No regrets, only lessons learned.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:23 PM, Doomkid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Doomworld used to have a section called "blogs" that got merged with status updates 6 years ago now (holy fuck it's flown by). Since status updates are way more disposable and insular in nature, not being really available for the public beyond your buddy list and being basically lost after leaving your profile's front page, I want to make this as a classic blog-style post. Just providing a little context since threads like this obviously became was less common from early 2017 onward, but I still feel they have value.

It's bizarre - my father, my grandma, and my uncles on BOTH sides of the family are not "anti gay" in that they always vote for the pro-gay-marriage candidate and that kind of thing. 

"Yeah yeah, all that faggy shit is fine, but don't make me look at it for fuck's sake!"

lol alright

14 hours ago, kwc said:

It means a lot for you to bare your heart like this, DK. It sounds like you've been taking your first steps into a new perspective on life and I'm happy that you're willing to share it, as a great deal of us are around your age and I would wager that most of us have/are or will be experiencing a coming-of-age similar to this.

You've no doubt made somebody feel less alone in this regard. I know this post did that for me, at least.

Be proud of yourself, buddy.

Thank you so much, kwc. The fact that it makes you feel less alone makes me so damn glad..

Your responses have all been great and made me feel better, too. I really appreciate the warm reception of this probably-overpersonal overshare.

4 hours ago, RandoBust said:

lol alright

Yeah, the inconsistency was hard to deal with. I’m just glad it always landed more on the side of acceptance than hate, I know so many others deal with far worse at home in that regard.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:23 PM, Doomkid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Doomworld used to have a section called "blogs" that got merged with status updates 6 years ago now (holy fuck it's flown by). Since status updates are way more disposable and insular in nature, not being really available for the public beyond your buddy list and being basically lost after leaving your profile's front page, I want to make this as a classic blog-style post. Just providing a little context since threads like this obviously became was less common from early 2017 onward, but I still feel they have value.

I really hope you guys don't mind or don't find this incredibly insufferable and fart-sniffy, offputting or anything like that. If anything I'm hoping we can have some fun or thought provoking chats, and that some of you might share your own experiences with me and with the rest of us. This is way cheaper than a therapist, a lot less boring, and frankly I really don't think I need one anyway.

You are Absolutely good in my book! There's a close friend of mine on Discord who've I've known for 3 years that's gone through a lot and spills his heart out constantly.
All of us are mentality fucked, some of more, some of us less. Take me for example, I struggle a lot with overthinking everything, and minor stresses sending my brain into complete overdrive/meltdown.
Sharing our experiences can be the best ways to heal, or atleast stop ourselves form picking our wounds.

Thank you so much for everything you've done for the community these past almost 23 years! You've remain such a friendly, chill dude, and I hope you get that House of yours! Whether you remine inactive to work on yourself, continue to bond with the community, or both, take care of yourself out there.
Here's to many more years of service!

very interesting thread...

Being bi-sexual myself, I can certainly identify with the issues of growing up as a bi-sexual.

It wasnt something most people or parents accepted in the 80s or 90s :-)

This was an interesting read. It's always nice to have these little campfire talks about ourselves, it's one of, if not the greatest way of bonding with people. I don't have much else to add other than I agree being a senior in an Australian high school is one of the most liberating feelings ever (I think it's the only redeeming thing about the school system here).

Also greetings fellow bi-guy

Thank you for sharing your story bro.

Sorry to hear about the subjects you mentioned that turned out being unfortunate.

I know I am barely here on Doomworld, mostly to keep everyone updated with Jazz Jackrabbit Doom or random posts in forums. Anyways, you always give off "chill, cool vibes." You are a cool cat! 

I am glad things are getting better for you.

If you ever need to vent or chat, the door is open and for all here who read this.

Much love and cheers from Texas!

On 3/9/2023 at 2:23 AM, Doomkid said:

/ Conclusion of insufferable rant

I'm not sure if I have much to say other than expecting my support, but this in particular I have to object to. "Beginning of insufferable rant" would've been a fair enough first header to serve as a warning, but if someone read it this far and hated every minute of it (or even skimmed it and hated every second of it) instead of hitting the back button, that would mean they have a self-control issue they need to work on.

Writing autobiographically like this is a great way to assess your life and see things in perspective. Almost like solving equations on paper instead of in your head, but with life and feelings instead of math. So it definitely would've been a good idea to write this down, even if no one had read it. It was nice to gain some insight into your life, too. I'm glad you've made it to where you are and you're doing decently well now. Congrats on escaping the USA :P

I'm glad you have a good relationship with your family, too. I'd take a vaguely supportive person who can be reasoned with over someone who supports me in a lot of ways but won't budge on things they don't like. I think much of my family is just like that, and it's reassuring to think that someday, one of them might tell me "you should be less gay", but then I'll say "no", and then they'll say "fair enough".

13 years of attempting to downplay or deny thoughts you have fairly consistently doesn't take the whole 13 years to grind away at your mental state. It can start right away, or even before you consciously realize what you're doing.

Relatable, thanks for sharing.

I wanted to toss some of my own thoughts into the ring earlier but was oddly hesitant about doing so, and I'm not exactly sure as to why. But given that sexuality is a subject you touch upon here and something big on that front happened in my own life last weekend, I figured now if ever is a good time to share a part of my own life story. This is obviously gonna get pretty personal and slightly NSFW, so you've been duly warned.

I've lately been thinking about my own sexuality quite a bit, in particular from the perspective of demisexuality and whether or not I fit into that label. It's a concept that I sort of struggle with - I know that it's, at its core, the idea of not experiencing sexual attraction to someone unless there's a deep emotional connection first, but the thing about it that I still ponder is what exactly it entails. How deep it can go on a psychological level.

Now, I'm by no means a sexually active person, and that's part of the reason I'm only now starting to take a deeper dive into my own sexuality at the age of 28. I could attribute a lot of it to being on the autism spectrum, but that's an entirely different discussion and I'm working towards ending that particular kind of self-deprecation. Anyway, I did have an opportunity to try having sex back when I was 20 - if I mention Amsterdam and the Red Light District, that should be a clear enough hint as to how that happened. Now, I say "try having sex" because next to nothing came of that misadventure, least of all me. At the time, I attributed my failure to nervousness, but...

...fast-forward to the evening of April 15th, 2023, the night I technically truly lost my virginity. The circumstances that night were drastically different as opposed to what happened back in Amsterdam in that I did it with an actually trusted individual in a safe environment. And my overall performance was a lot better. (Disclaimer: The idea was hers, not mine.) I was still nervous, granted, but in a hell of a different way - after all, there's a whole discussion that revolves around FWBs and the risks involved in such a relationship. But in lack of a significant other, she was definitely the next best option, and I don't regret taking her up on the offer.

Circling back to demisexuality, how those two events relate to my contemplations about whether I fit that label or not should be pretty self-explanatory. I feel I should clarify at this point, even if it isn't entirely necessary, that those two instances are the only sexual experiences I have. One utter failure with a complete stranger, one successful encounter with someone I know and trust. Even with my limited experience, I do think that the signs point to a potential psychological "condition" where my ability to perform sexually is tied to how close the other person is. But the question is, does that fall under the definition of demisexuality or is it something else entirely?

49 minutes ago, MFG38 said:
Spoiler

I wanted to toss some of my own thoughts into the ring earlier but was oddly hesitant about doing so, and I'm not exactly sure as to why. But given that sexuality is a subject you touch upon here and something big on that front happened in my own life last weekend, I figured now if ever is a good time to share a part of my own life story. This is obviously gonna get pretty personal and slightly NSFW, so you've been duly warned.

I've lately been thinking about my own sexuality quite a bit, in particular from the perspective of demisexuality and whether or not I fit into that label. It's a concept that I sort of struggle with - I know that it's, at its core, the idea of not experiencing sexual attraction to someone unless there's a deep emotional connection first, but the thing about it that I still ponder is what exactly it entails. How deep it can go on a psychological level.

Now, I'm by no means a sexually active person, and that's part of the reason I'm only now starting to take a deeper dive into my own sexuality at the age of 28. I could attribute a lot of it to being on the autism spectrum, but that's an entirely different discussion and I'm working towards ending that particular kind of self-deprecation. Anyway, I did have an opportunity to try having sex back when I was 20 - if I mention Amsterdam and the Red Light District, that should be a clear enough hint as to how that happened. Now, I say "try having sex" because next to nothing came of that misadventure, least of all me. At the time, I attributed my failure to nervousness, but...

...fast-forward to the evening of April 15th, 2023, the night I technically truly lost my virginity. The circumstances that night were drastically different as opposed to what happened back in Amsterdam in that I did it with an actually trusted individual in a safe environment. And my overall performance was a lot better. (Disclaimer: The idea was hers, not mine.) I was still nervous, granted, but in a hell of a different way - after all, there's a whole discussion that revolves around FWBs and the risks involved in such a relationship. But in lack of a significant other, she was definitely the next best option, and I don't regret taking her up on the offer.

Circling back to demisexuality, how those two events relate to my contemplations about whether I fit that label or not should be pretty self-explanatory. I feel I should clarify at this point, even if it isn't entirely necessary, that those two instances are the only sexual experiences I have. One utter failure with a complete stranger, one successful encounter with someone I know and trust. Even with my limited experience, I do think that the signs point to a potential psychological "condition" where my ability to perform sexually is tied to how close the other person is. But the question is, does that fall under the definition of demisexuality or is it something else entirely?

The asexual spectrum (in which demisexuality is a part of) is only defined by low or absent sexual attraction to others. Some ace people like sex for the emotional closeness to their partner, some can't stand even the thought of having sex. It's got nothing to do with your "performance," that was possibly just due to nervousness. Being intimate is being vulnerable, which is potentially dangerous, depending on who the other person is. There is a lot of mutual trust going into it.

The whole ace spectrum is pretty wide, and there are countless sub-categories for people who want to fall in. If they're interested in it with a pin-point accuracy. The fact that those categories are defined by the absence of something is pretty confusing, I think. Fortunately, there are plenty resources you can read through, trying to find answers. Here's a nice one, particularly the FAQ I find easy to understand. https://www.asexuality-handbook.com/ Give it a read, maybe you are on the ace spectrum, maybe you aren't.

But I also want to say that sexuality and other things like autism shouldn't be tied to one's sense of self worth. There are social pressures and expectations to fit in, to be a certain way, but the reality is that people are varied. We're not all the same, and trying to force everybody to look and act """normally""" (whatever that means) is pretty harmful. Even to those who do fit the criteria of normalness. The world is rich and vibrant, why should everybody fit a certain arbitrary mold? Different doesn't mean lesser.

Anyway, I identify as aromantic-asexual, that's what the colored stripes on my pfp mean. Being a man who just turned 30 early this month, I'm very comfortable with this label. It doesn't define me, it just describes the way I am. I am still me, no better or worse for it.

I would just like to point out re: the bit where she accuses you of cheating constantly, for the sake of people reading who might not know and end up taking away a dangerous unintended message from your "no one did anything wrong" statement:  

that is controlling behavior and is, in fact, bad. the only context in which that's even slightly okay is if you have cheated on her before. in any other that is not something you should put up with from someone who's supposed to love you. it's also usually a sign of one of two things: either they've been hurt before and are taking it out on you, an innocent third party (obviously not good); or they're cheating on you already and projecting to get the trail off themselves (way, way worse).

the rest I don't really have enough experience with to comment on.