Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
randomsounds01

Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

Hello everyone,

As of 09-24-2023 I have uploaded all the updated wad files and have sent a folder link to @randomsounds01. If your maps have been updated since then I will upload them to that folder once a week either on Sunday or Monday. In that folder I have renamed all the files to make them easier to manage and maintain. For instance, my files will be called "BOX33,34&69_BlindChaos" for multiple boxes in the same file or simply "BOX69_BlindChaos" for single box submissions. Each week I will try to reach out to anyone who was interested in submitting files to the project who still haven't done so. That way I can keep everyone on the same page. If you have submitted a box to this project and haven't filled out my Google form, please feel free to do so anytime, thank you.

https://forms.gle/GajfojjDkaXmVFFZA

In the folder I have uploaded files from:

@LoneAlpha2401, @BlazedMaps, @BUYXRAYS, @Proxy-MIDI, @No-Man Baugh, @Matt Eldrydge, @DynamiteKaitorn, @jo2ukegappy, @MrBlaskovitz, @Djoga, @glue_sniffer, @Cutman 999, @xdude_gamer, @scientifikgenius, @macro, @SmolGhost, @SteveTheSpaceJanitor, @Dragonfly, @DankMetal, @Raith138, @crug, @stochastic & @Scionox.

Additionally, here is the link to the spreadsheet for anyone who needs it for their records.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lVwT1AyAB1FYaHZT383RwwGyfk3xv2TjFnnFyiJ4Yg/edit?usp=sharing

5 hours ago, Halfblind said:

Hello everyone,

As of 09-24-2023 I have uploaded all the updated wad files and have sent a folder link to @randomsounds01. If your maps have been updated since then I will upload them to that folder once a week either on Sunday or Monday. In that folder I have renamed all the files to make them easier to manage and maintain. For instance, my files will be called "BOX33,34&69_BlindChaos" for multiple boxes in the same file or simply "BOX69_BlindChaos" for single box submissions. Each week I will try to reach out to anyone who was interested in submitting files to the project who still haven't done so. That way I can keep everyone on the same page. If you have submitted a box to this project and haven't filled out my Google form, please feel free to do so anytime, thank you.

https://forms.gle/GajfojjDkaXmVFFZA

In the folder I have uploaded files from:

@LoneAlpha2401, @BlazedMaps, @BUYXRAYS, @Proxy-MIDI, @No-Man Baugh, @Matt Eldrydge, @DynamiteKaitorn, @jo2ukegappy, @MrBlaskovitz, @Djoga, @glue_sniffer, @Cutman 999, @xdude_gamer, @scientifikgenius, @macro, @SmolGhost, @SteveTheSpaceJanitor, @Dragonfly, @DankMetal, @Raith138, @crug, @stochastic & @Scionox.

Additionally, here is the link to the spreadsheet for anyone who needs it for their records.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lVwT1AyAB1FYaHZT383RwwGyfk3xv2TjFnnFyiJ4Yg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for your work, @Halfblind.

@randomsounds01 I have finished my submission.  Let me know if this doesn't meet the requirements.  I'm still settling on a title, but I might call it "A Gift for Minos".  I might also play around with the lighting a bit more, but I figured I'd send this first, relatively complete draft.  Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated!

Note: This level does assume the player is coming in with a bit more than a pistol, so it might be tricky to beat with just a pistol start, but in a larger context should hopefully play wellAGiftForMinos01.PNG.9111af7114da326f60b5599283f55999.PNG

MiniDaedalus.zip

I have finished my first box, a third of the second and two thirds of the third.

I am posting this as a confirmation that I am alive and doing stuff for this.
Since this is an unfinished wip, some parts are very unpolished. Visual imperfections are guaranteed.

Template.wad.zip

On 9/25/2023 at 3:24 PM, Slaughter said:

I've revised my first submission (CELL666.wad).

CELL666.zip

The zip file is invalid meaning that I cannot open it. Can you please rebuild your zip file and reupload it, thank you.

4 hours ago, Halfblind said:

The zip file is invalid meaning that I cannot open it. Can you please rebuild your zip file and reupload it, thank you.

I'm sorry. Here's the new file.

cell666.zip

Hello again,

@randomsounds01 as of 10-01-2023 I have added a new folder with all the recently updated and submitted rooms. I have date stamped the folder and you should have access with that link that I sent you. There have been updates from @BlazedMaps, @Chariot Rider, @Craneo, @Djoga, @SmolGhost, @Slaughter, @LSC Lasico, and me 'BlindChaos'.

As of yet, out of the first 20 room requests, there have been no submissions from:

I'm not trying to call anyone out, nor am I trying to rush anyone because I know art and design takes time. I'm just trying to see how your progress is coming that is all. I also think that maybe the deadline should be extended out a little bit, because we only have about half the boxes submitted.

- For all the noob mappers who are submitting to this project here is a pro tip.

Pro Tip #1 - Columns

When designing a room with a vertical column that needs to extend permanently from the floor to the ceiling; 1. draw your sector, 2. select it via sectors mode & 3 delete the sector. This will create a blank space where the column used to be with automatic impassible linedefs. While the lines are still highlighted, select the lines mode and texture the lines that form the column. This makes it super easy to; 1. create and texture an infinitely tall column, 2 makes one less sector plane for vanilla and older ports to calculate and render & 3 creates less issues while copying and pasting it elsewhere in the map.

Just a quick tip for anyone new to mapping.

4 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

Hello again,

@randomsounds01 as of 10-01-2023 I have added a new folder with all the recently updated and submitted rooms. I have date stamped the folder and you should have access with that link that I sent you. There have been updates from @BlazedMaps, @Chariot Rider, @Craneo, @Djoga, @SmolGhost, @Slaughter, @LSC Lasico, and me 'BlindChaos'.

As of yet, out of the first 20 room requests, there have been no submissions from:

I'm not trying to call anyone out, nor am I trying to rush anyone because I know art and design takes time. I'm just trying to see how your progress is coming that is all. I also think that maybe the deadline should be extended out a little bit, because we only have about half the boxes submitted.

- For all the noob mappers who are submitting to this project here is a pro tip.

Pro Tip #1 - Columns

When designing a room with a vertical column that needs to extend permanently from the floor to the ceiling; 1. draw your sector, 2. select it via sectors mode & 3 delete the sector. This will create a blank space where the column used to be with automatic impassible linedefs. While the lines are still highlighted, select the lines mode and texture the lines that form the column. This makes it super easy to; 1. create and texture an infinitely tall column, 2 makes one less sector plane for vanilla and older ports to calculate and render & 3 creates less issues while copying and pasting it elsewhere in the map.

Just a quick tip for anyone new to mapping.

If the limit for boxes is raised, I think there are still many mappers that would like to submit more rooms. I know I would.

6 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

On 9/4/2023 at 12:06 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Cause no one's claimed it: Can I has box 69? UwU

NVM... I'll take box 8... :l

EDIT:

I already made it. :3

Box_08_Dynamite.zip

I've already submitted my box... >_>

4 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

If the limit for boxes is raised, I think there are still many mappers that would like to submit more rooms. I know I would.

There have been enough interested mappers to fill all 80 boxes, but if it gets closer to the deadline and there is still not enough submitted wads to fill all 80 rooms, I am also willing to submit more boxes too.

@DynamiteKaitorn Thanks for the heads up. As stated here https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2708560 we have your box 08 submission, so you are good to go, thank you.

50 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

There have been updates from...

I made a few slight enhancements on September 25th, which may have been just after you initially compiled and sent all the submissions. Here's my post with my latest submission. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, stochastic said:

I made a few slight enhancements on September 25th

Crap, the last version that I have in my folder was uploaded on the 24th. If this is a newer file since then, I will include it in next week's update. Sorry if you have fallen through the cracks.

2 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

Crap, the last version that I have in my folder was uploaded on the 24th. If this is a newer file since then, I will include it in next week's update. Sorry if you have fallen through the cracks.

No worries at all! Including it next week will be just fine. :) Just thought I'd make you aware.

1 hour ago, Halfblind said:

Hey there !

I've seen that most of the slots I initially requested were filled rather quickly, so no need for me to make any map at all, right ?

In any case, good luck with the mapset. Can't wait to see what everyone came up with ! :)

2 minutes ago, Origamyde said:

I've seen that most of the slots I initially requested were filled rather quickly, so no need for me to make any map at all, right ?

If you want to request a different slot you are more than welcome to do so. If you were dead set on those slots and no longer want to contribute it is still up to you. If you still want to contribute, I would be more than happy to give you feedback and keep randomsounds01 updated. Thanks for letting me know otherwise. 

18 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

If you were dead set on those slots and no longer want to contribute it is still up to you.

Thanks for letting me know.

As of right now, I no longer wish to participate in order to focus on side projects of mine.

On 10/7/2023 at 6:30 AM, jo2ukegappy said:

@randomsounds01, can you give us a heads up on how things are going? Maybe a new alpha?

Working on a new alpha with a hub area and some kind of progression. Probably done by tomorrow, but we'll see how it goes.

31 minutes ago, randomsounds01 said:

Working on a new alpha with a hub area and some kind of progression. Probably done by tomorrow, but we'll see how it goes.

That's awesome to hear!

1 hour ago, randomsounds01 said:

Nice!

Hello today,

Sorry, I have no major updates this week. There is a very good reason why. First, I have been going through, testing and optimizing each room individually. Second, I have a chronic illness and it gets really bad sometimes. Please be patient with me. Anyways, after I optimize each room, I have been slowly contacting each submitter via PM and seeing if my edits are okay with them before uploading my changes to randomsounds01. I'm doing this because I realized that the final map will be a mess if I don't do it otherwise. After I get each submitter's blessing, I have also been placing each room into a single map file placed in a grid in their respective slots. I hope this helps the OP better compile the map later. If you haven't been contacted that means that I haven't processed your submission yet. Some submissions also check out perfectly too. I am only optimizing each submission for the following,

1. Deleting unnecessary sectors.
  2. Removing unnecessary textures.
  3. Merging like sectors (sectors with the same floor and ceiling heights and flats)
  4. Pointing linedefs into their correct orientation.
  5. Changing sector tags to comply with the sector tag allotment rules.
  6. Removing your player 1 starts too.
  7. Also, in some cases, doing some minor texture alignments (I hate doing this part, because it is very time consuming and tedious. If I find a bunch, I will request that you fix these yourself)

After I have processed all the submissions, I will make an update when that is done, but in the meantime, here is the next set of mappers that I need to know how your rooms are coming along.

• @tewgytaylor who originally requested box 21, but that box had already gone to @xdude_gamer. tewgytaylor, are you still interested in making a box for this project? Please let me know.
  • @taufan99 who requested both boxes 23 and 24. I haven't seen your rooms uploaded yet.
  • Box 25 & 28 are still open.
  • @bsharp who requested box 30 & 31. I haven' seen your room uploaded yet. Box 31 was already taken by @macro instead.

Additionally, if you are a newbie mapper here is another pro tip.

Pro Tip #2 - Merging/Joining Sectors

For this lesson please feel free to download 10 Sectors map set and this BC_SECTORS.zip (requires OTEX) file that I made. When creating a room, you might end up with tons of sectors. Many of which are similar enough because they have the same sector heights. They might also have the same flat on both the floor and the ceiling. Some of these sectors might even be right next to each other. In most cases, like sectors can be merged or joined together. Sometimes 2 sectors that are right next to each other should be merged to create just one sector. This helps optimize the map and makes older engines work more efficiently because they have less geometry surfaces to calculate.

While I was playing 10 Sectors, I learned a lot about map optimization and what you can do with just 10 sectors. Often times you will have similar sectors that are not touching that can be joined together. By joining like sectors, the engine and editor refers to them as the same sector and assigns them the same sector number ID. When you change one sector properties it will automatically change the settings for that joined not touching sector too. This makes it faster to apply things like sector heights, flats and effects to multiple sectors fast. Before selecting sectors to merge/join you can create a base sector where you have applied all the properties that all the other sectors need to have. When selecting the base sector first, then selecting all the corresponding sectors and finally selecting merge/join it will automatically make those sectors have the same settings. This will make them all the same height, with the same flat, the same sector tag and the same sector effects without manually adjusting everyone individually. I thought that this was a really neat trick when I first learned about it.

In my test file I have created 4 rooms. Each room is no larger than 256x256 map units. In the bottom left there is a room finished the wrong way. It has all the linedefs pointed the wrong direction and it contains 45 individual shapes/sectors. After deleting unnecessary sectors, pointing the linedefs in the right direction and merging/joining like sectors the room now has only 5 sectors that need calculated by the engine. This you can see in the room on the lower right. In the upper left I have the same situation, this time with a more complex room that also had a bunch more texture misalignments too. In that room it contains 66 individual shapes/sectors but after merging/joining like sectors it now has only 9 sectors to calculate. Here is another trick, each individual fence unit contains 2 shapes right next to each other. If you merge them together the fence texture would get deleted. If you simply join instead of merging them, it keeps everything intact. Even the lower or upper unpegged settings of the linedef. Feel free to look at the examples in the WAD and see for yourself what you can do when you merge/join sectors. Also feel free to play with the rooms and experiment with them yourself. Trust me it is a skill that every doom mapper needs to know.

If I still haven't processed all the submissions, by next week I will still try to make a small update anyways just to keep the project relevant.

Edited by Halfblind

1 hour ago, Halfblind said:

@tewgytaylor who originally requested box 21, but that box had already gone to @xdude_gamer. tewgytaylor, are you still interested in making a box for this project? Please let me know.

I mean it will probably be an edit of my original box to fit in a different slot but sure! Since you mentioned it I think I'll take box 25

Edit: It seems that my box should fit into slot 25 without edits to according to the diagram available so would it be possible to fit it there instead?

I saw that this wad still needs 16 boxes, so I figured I'd fill a bit of that void.

Box 68: Not Scary, Didn't Cry
Author: NiGHTS108

Textures: Vanilla

Size: 512x512 with 10 monsters

Box 70: Urinal Of Deities 

Author: NiGHTS108

Textures: Vanilla

Size: 512x512 with 1 monster

A Scythe MAP26 reference, and a Toilet Of The Gods MAP03 reference.

Screenshot_Doom_20231012_012257.png.2f91eb24f825295b6c3030ca1580f8eb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231012_012320.png.b7c86f9b61d9bc51be92e57d61fbaaf8.png

Compiled boxes 65, 68 and 70 right here.

BoxDoom-All-NiGHTS108.zip

5 hours ago, Halfblind said:

@taufan99 who requested both boxes 23 and 24. I haven't seen your rooms uploaded yet.

Sorry, I've been MIA for a while due to real life stuff. I'm on my way mapping my boxes and will make sure I get to upload them before the deadline.