Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellblazer

Doom Year Zero coming from Bethesda

46 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

That said, if Year Zero does end up being a continuation of the Doom Slayer’s story, it’s likely that it’ll be nuDoom’s End of Evangelion (in that it’s an unplanned conclusion that works to wrap up the loose ends which caused a ton of fan backlash).

There are quite a number of science fiction stories which feature a reset of the calender to Year Zero after an apocalyptic event. Like for example in the movie "2012". So it wouldn't surprise me if this unanounced game is/was meant as a continuation of the story after the events in Doom Eternal.

Doom: Year Zero?...... Doom: Year Zero.

This sounds more like a community project for Doom 1. But i will be that person and say this: If this is real (which is not because it's the internet) how long do you think it will last before people forget about it and want something new in the Id games liberty. I still wanna see a reboot of Quake 1 like they did with Doom (2016), give it a overhaul and get creative and stuff, hell take it a step further and have some monsters from doom be in quake, have new enemies based off lovecraftian lore, hell even have some mythology monsters as well.

I feel like if this was real (Again this is the internet i don't believe everything i read or see on the internet) it's going to get that Doom Eternal thing. Fun to play the first time, but start losing interest after playing it for longer periods of time. I don't know i think the new doom stuff is ok but i rather play the WADs from the late 90's - the mid 00's, at least they are creative and give me more entertainment since i do mapping.

And how much you want to bet, there's going to be Micro Transactions in it because they need "Money"  

3 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

If anything, I suspect that this might be kind of retro throwback to celebrate the franchise’s 30th anniversary, akin to something like WH40K: Boltgun.

Perhaps it's a Nightdive-style remaster with online multiplayer

(probably not but god I would kill for something like that...)

3 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

This is worth noting, on top of the fact that the graphic being passed around is from 2020:

I am a little confused as to why the graphic has only gone public now. Like, it's been three years, I don't know what was stopping them from leaking this before.

35 minutes ago, BerserkerNoir said:

So Starfield came out in 2021? lol
Where this list came from anyway?

17 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I am a little confused as to why the graphic has only gone public now. Like, it's been three years, I don't know what was stopping them from leaking this before.

i am begging you on my hands and knees to read the thread you are replying to

3 hours ago, Kinsie said:

4 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

i am begging you on my hands and knees to read the thread you are replying to

Alright, I was multitasking and I didn't see it, jeez.

The scheduling changes resulting from COVID and the Microsoft acquisition have already been mentioned several times in the thread, but I'll just add that if Year Zero is indeed id's next mainline Doom title, it probably isn't coming out in 2024. Let's use the previous two Doom titles as a metric for our prospective timeline here: in June of 2014, we got the initial teaser for Doom, followed by the closed-door reveal at Quakecon in August a couple months later. This was followed up the public reveal at E3 in June 2015, and finally, the release in May of 2016. Eternal had it's initial teaser shown at E3 in June of 2018, followed up by a much more detailed public reveal at Quakecon a couple months later. The following public appearances at Quakecon 2019 and other places were eventually capped off with a release in March of 2020. So, we had a span of roughly 21-23 months between each initial public teaser appearance and the actual release. Assuming id is working on YZ, the nearest public debut they have planned for it would likely be E3 or Quakecon 2024. With that in mind, I'd say a release date of early-mid 2025 would be the earliest we could realistically expect. Again, that's *if* this is a mainline Doom project still in production, and if things are proceeding relatively smoothly.

Edited by Caffeine Freak

Reminder that Doom Eternal was supposed to be a game which people would have been played online to this day and would still be getting post-release content, since it basically got nothing after TAG 2 and had a very small player base at that point Bethesda probably changed their minds.

1 hour ago, Roebloz said:

An official port of PSX Doom would be nice (Maybe with a Limited Run release even), but right nwo the ultimate way to play it is still the PSX Doom TC with my Doom 64 sprites pack (Which makes it look PERFECT.)

I don't even understand why Doom should be a LRG exclusive, it's a game series with mass appeal, it can handle a retail release.

The digital only Xbox future is probably the worst thing to come out of this leak.

I want Doom Year Zero to be a prequel to Doom, where it's just Doomguy working as a secretary at the UAC for like 5 years before he somehow gets the job as a Marine. Maybe his paperwork messes up and he accidentally gets a promotion. Thrilling gameplay ensues...

It's not a blurry photo of a CRT monitor in a dark room taken with a cellphone, how do you expect me to believe this?

I will believe it when I see it. Year Zero sounds lame though tbh, and tons of rumors surrounding Id have turned out to simply be bootyhole smoke.

7 minutes ago, gibfrag said:

Year Zero sounds lame though tbh

If it is real, it might just be a working title.

Doom without Doomguy isn't interesting, and Doomguy as a bog-standard marine isn't interesting either. That's be like making a James Bond movie when he's still a Navy commander, or a Resident Evil game where the STARS team rescues hikers. It's a lame ass idea and I hope this isn't an actual thing being built. 

Oblivion and Fallout 3 remasters, eh? There was a rumor about an Oblivion remaster being done by Virtuos Games and Black Shamrock, using a Gamebryo/UE5 hybrid engine where UE5 does the rendering but physics and gameplay still use the original engine from Oblivion.

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Unless it is a deliberate throwback to Doom's roots done in glorious pixel art and MIDI music.

I could get behind that, especially if it involves a smaller team and avoids the bloat of the latest entries.

Since it is slated to have a DLC, it wasn't intended to be a small project.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Since it is slated to have a DLC, it wasn't intended to be a small project.

That is why I said smaller team. :P

The implications of a continuation with a new type of demon invasion after Eternal would be a great year zero.

But would be fun if this it's only a CodeName for a project with something with Doom Blood in them, like the likes of Doom 2016 or Quake.

1 minute ago, D4NUK1 said:

The implications of a continuation with a new type of demon invasion after Eternal would be a great year zero.

But would be fun if this it's only a CodeName for a project with something with Doom Blood in them, like the likes of Doom 2016 or Quake.

I am curious how they could even continue the story anyway 

Isn't hell supposed to be permanently sealed from every universe after the end of the ancient gods 2?

Obviously they could just make up some explanation for why the demons got out again but it would be hard not to make it contrived.

As an addendum to my above post: if YZ is the next big Doom title and still in production, then it's certainly possible that id plans on releasing something---such as the initial teaser trailer---for Doom's 30th birthday on Dec. 10th. This could conceivably be followed up by a more substantial public reveal later on, such as at E3/Quakecon 2024. However, I don't think this scenario is particularly likely, as 6-8 months is a long time when it comes to public hype, especially around a simple teaser. So if they have some big Doom card up their sleeve, I think it would be more pragmatic to wait until we're well into 2024.

But it's all just speculation at this point.

5 hours ago, Rudolph said:

YES! THAT!

Doom 64, Saturn Quake, Quake II 64 and soon Playstation Quake II all got ported to the PC, so I would gladly pay for an official Playstation Doom port.

That is, as long as Id Software does not start clamping down on fan ports/recreations.

It is not necessarily that I want it so much as I can see it as a possibility with a name like "Doom: Year Zero".

That or a demon-less prequel that works as a very loose reimagining of the original Doom backstory (i.e. Doomguy violently rebelling against a superior).

Wait, they ported Saturn Quake?

21 minutes ago, RileyXY1 said:

Wait, they ported Saturn Quake?

Oh wait, no. I have confused it with the Quake 64 addon for Quake Remastered.

My bad. :(

1 hour ago, kevansevans said:

Neither confirmed or denied by Phil, but the take away from his recent tweet is that things have changed since that slide was made. It's best we don't get our hopes up until something is explicitly confirmed.

Getting hyped based upon any leak, especially a three year old one, is the very definition of foolishness.

In case anyone thinks Doom Zero Year will just be a quick spin off or a tiny expansion to the D1/2 ports for the 30th anniversary, here is the projections.

455 million projected for Doom Zero Year.  That sounds like a FULL Id project...at least it was as in 2020.

Quake and Wolfenstein when?

zenimaxgames-1-1695113181199.jpg.0620703452d13dbc4e5b5093e1b65c14.jpg

9 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Quake and Wolfenstein when?

We're possibly getting Wolfenstein 3 if "Licensed IP Game" is what I hope it is.

4 minutes ago, Biz! said:

We're possibly getting Wolfenstein 3 if "Licensed IP Game" is what I hope it is.

Wolfenstein isn't licensed IP. Bethesda owns it. So no, that will not be a Wolfenstein game.

Hmm now I'm very curious... you know, I've been watching John Romero's twitch streams lately. He streams himself making maps for Sigil 2 from time to time, it's very chill to watch. During his streams he sometimes mentions that he's working on a big game right now but he's not allowed to say the name. How cool would it be if he actually worked on Doom Year Zero?