Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomguy896

why people mostly play on ultra violence instead on nightmare?

Because most maps you see here are not designed for Nightmare. Always playing on Nightmare is like eating cup noodles by eating the noodles dry, drinking boiling hot water and then snorting the seasoning. You could, but why would you?

Fuck ultraviolence

All my homies play on HMP, continuous and savescumming (why is it called like that, it is literally a game mechanic why should i feel like an scummy person for doing that smh)

9 minutes ago, NiGHTS108 said:

I think if you tried to play even E1M3 on Nightmare, you’d have yourself a pretty good answer 

Yepp, that's as far as I got on my Nightmare playthrough... :|

3 minutes ago, DankMetal said:

savescumming (why is it called like that, it is literally a game mechanic why should i feel like an scummy person for doing that smh)

You can say "we like to play with saves". That's it :)

Nightmare in Doom is kind of a joke difficulty in my mind, it's not like Nightmare in Quake where it's more like a legitimate challenge.

10 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Nightmare in Doom is kind of a joke difficulty in my mind

It was a joke difficulty in id's mind back when they added it.

ngl this map is kind of fun. there are a lot of little things to learn about doing it well.

For the original question: Why are you thinking people would play on Nightmare instead of UV? The question would be easier to answer if you share what your assumptions are. 

8 minutes ago, baja blast rd. said:

ngl this map is kind of fun. there are a lot of little things to learn about doing it well.

For the original question: Why are you thinking people would play on Nightmare instead of UV? The question would be easier to answer if you share what your assumptions are. 

because people mostly play on hardest difficulty and on classic doom is nightmare i know its super hard but if you practice a lot it will be okay

4 minutes ago, Gothic said:

I mean, have YOU played on nightmare?

yep i did but i didnt get too far im planning tomorrow to play on nightmare wish me luck!

25 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

It was a joke difficulty in id's mind back when they added it.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Doomguy896 said:

im planning tomorrow to play on nightmare wish me luck!

Good luck playing Ultimate Doom, and Doom 2, and Final Doom, and the Master Levels, and No Rest For the Living, and pretty much every megawad ever on Nightmare.

Have you ever actually tried to play through the entire base game, let alone any PWADs, on Nightmare?  I feel like if you had, you wouldn't be asking this.

For me the better question has always been why is everyone playing on UV by default, when default difficulty is HMP. Tryhards!

Nightmare is mostly only feasible in the original maps. Many mapsets have encounters with so many monsters that the presence of respawning monsters by itself creates a situation where they are respawning faster than you can kill them all, and it gets even worse if it involves a lot of backtracking. Even with double ammo, it may get to the point where there isn't enough ammo to clear your path to the exit, and if (instant reaction time) hit scanners keep respawning, your chances of survival basically boil down to RNG.

Look HR2 for example. Fewer than half of these maps have been completed on Nightmare. https://dsdarchive.com/wads/hr2final/table_view?category=NM+Speed

Because Nightmare is more of a gimmicky challenge difficulty than a proper ramp up from UV.

All the features (fast & respawning monsters, double ammo, etc.) change the gameplay loop too much for most people.

Majority of community content also isn't designed for Nightmare difficulty so we're kinda forced to play on UV there.

Almost no one balances for nightmare, because making sure it's possible on nightmare would usually result in making it too easy on UV.

Nightmare isn't just harder, it's *inconsistently* harder (some parts are about the same, some parts are now impossible), and it involves gameplay dynamics that never come up in the other skill levels (infinitely respawning  monsters, much faster monster reactions, some monsters fire so frequently they don't move far from their starting point).

Finally, some people do play on nightmare, but it's a bit different to UV because you can never be sure what you're trying is going to be possible. It's kinda like spelunking into an unknown cave.

Why am I writing a proper reply to this, I came here to make a bad joke....

1 hour ago, NiGHTS108 said:

I think if you tried to play even E1M3 on Nightmare, you’d have yourself a pretty good answer 

E1M3 is a real showstopper, it's actually one of the hardest maps in Doom to play on Nightmare in my opinion. The fact that you have to revisit so many areas where all the pickups are gone after your first visit, but the 5 or so shotgun guys with no reaction time are all back. And too few bullets for the chaingun to mow'em down before they can get you...

It changes up the gameplay too much. Going from skill 1 to skill 4 largely just ups the monsters and in some cases lowers the powerups and ammo, you only go up in skill as you play as all the quirks of the monsters are learnt. Nightmare punches your muscle memory by making the monsters go berserk and attack nonstop with faster projectiles/move faster, and they now respawn all over the place so you have to adjust. You cant even cheat to practice on these new monster AI patterns. As such, ive always seen the skill level as a joke (Turned out I was right; it WAS a joke from id) and for people with something to prove, like leaderboard climbers.

Because no matter how good you are at Doom, the Nightmare mod will make you feel like worthless shit.

I suppose the change in monster behaviour is very jarring to people. They know where they are with the other difficulties.

I remember when nightmare first appeared as an extra difficulty. Gave it a try, thought "lol very funny ID". Nowadays though I'm considering giving it a serious go (but I am strange in liking difficulty. Not everyone's bag).

Ultra Violence isn't the standard difficulty either. Most people here played long enough to become comfortable with higher difficulties but give the game to a newbie to fps games and they'll die on hey not too rough.