Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Downcologo one

Is using SAVES in Doom bad?

Is using SAVES in Doom bad?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. The other day I had seen people saying that using saves was wrong and other people saying that it was good, I would like to know the general opinion of the community about the use of saves in Doom.

• Yes
    • No

i tend to enjoy playing doom maps with the "reset to a pistol after you die" style of progression, instead of reloading mid level saves, but this depends on the mapset in question.

1 hour ago, Azafran said:

From the Doom™ 1993 game manual:

doom-save.JPG.bca68e63204fb369851ca3fb615cfa0f.JPG

To be fair though: these are tips for absolute beginners playing Doom 1. That has little meaning for modern custom mapsets and how they should or should not be played.

I save my game plenty. And I dont think it really matters. You feel you should? Go for it. No? Then don't. But either way it is built into the game to easily do.

Edited by Kor

6 hours ago, TheShep said:

lol imma savescumma

This i prefer my time than the satisfaction of challenges. Different strokes , different folks

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I voted "yes" since the poll is anonymous.

I'm not sure if it was intentional but this is a funny comment.

39 minutes ago, Gregor said:

To be fair though: these are tips for absolute beginners playing Doom 1. That has little meaning for modern custom mapsets and how they should or should not be played.

Yes, but what I mean is that apart from the obvious fact that there is a save function clearly built in the game easily accessible through the menu, the manual is already encouraging the player to use it often. So of course is NOT BAD to use saves, is how the game was intended to be played.

If someone wants to not save as a challenge, that's another story. Like pistol starting.

5 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I voted "yes" since the poll is anonymous.

I nearly spit out my drink

I experimented with saves and at some point found an approach that worked for me until I understood I was focusing too much on it instead of simply enjoying my Doom time. What I did was saving after I pick up a key or shoot 100 monsters (whatever happens first). For most of the maps I played, it helped to challenge myself enough without frustrating too much after I died. But eventually I dropped this idea because I found myself playing too carefully and slow.

If you use saves you're no real player.

How are you gonna impress the pretty lady at the bar by telling her you used saves during Sunlust? 

Exactly!

There's really nothing wrong if you're using saves when playing a wad casually. I practically save every time I clear out a big fight, before I collect a key right in front of me, after collecting the goodies in a secret, etc. Basically what everybody in this thread has already said.

Unless you're going to be recording and submitting demos for speedruns or something then nah I don't think saving and loading is allowed for that.

Yes, especially if you save while you're dead like my friend has done a couple of times(:

But in truth, while getting better probably involves being very particular about mid-fight saves for the purposes of reducing tedium, there aren't too many maps I've played where I can't just brute-force a fight or two through RNJesus. So I save whenever I can be bothered to remember. Not as much as I should.

Saving is good, do what make you happy, Grungo save alot because he does not want get angry and have to lose lot of progress

No, is not bad, is not something to be ashamed.

Single Player experiences are like that, is your own experience, your own fun, play at your own pace.

No. At least because it was built into original game from the beginning, and it became standard for many people. From then until now, some authors have made games that take the ability to save as a matter of course.

So again, no. If only it is not some special format of the game or deathmatch. :)

And how often a player uses saving in a particular level is his personal choice, it depends on a number of factors.

Maybe someone should make a source port, call it TrueDoom or something of the sort, that prevents bad playing; that removes cheat codes, removes load and save options from the main menu, has only Ultra-Violence and Nightmare as difficulty options, and exit linedef does not work (or gibs the player) if the player hasn't reached 100% kills and secrets.

7 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Maybe someone should make a source port, call it TrueDoom or something of the sort, that prevents bad playing; that removes cheat codes, removes load and save options from the main menu, has only Ultra-Violence and Nightmare as difficulty options, and exit linedef does not work (or gibs the player) if the player hasn't reached 100% kills and secrets.

TryharDoom could also work as a name.

You have to remove nightmare difficulty tho, because no one is brave enough to actually play it.

"It's a joke difficulty" my ass.

Saving your progress in between sessions shouldn't even be a debate, that's just common sense. As for using saves to help you complete a level? It depends on how aggressive you're doing it. I really don't see the appeal of saving constantly and don't understand why anyone would do that. Brute forcing your way through a game doesn't sound exciting in the slightest and I'd question if you really even enjoy playing the game if you're trying to get through it with as little effort as possible. If the level is really long using a checkpoint or 2 doesn't sound terrible. For something huge and open ended like myhouse, save as much as you want. 

2 hours ago, IHave10Shells said:

Yeah, especially since everyone used keyboard-only back then.

From the 1993 Doom™ game manual:

doom-mouse.JPG.927d6b1972e48fe61d2f29acc2f54471.JPG

If they're an option then it's an okay thing to do. Same goes with cheat codes.

If you beat the game with saves or cheats or whatever, on the easiest mode, then you've still beaten the game. No one can refute that

Oh yes, it's very bad for your health and counts as a sin. "Save Game" option is a bug, so so so much shame on you for using that. But don't press "Quit Game", it's even worse.

As has been said, saving is there for a reason, use it. Anyone claiming otherwise is talking outta their rear end.

Tying another topic into this: pistol starting was meant to be a penalty for neglecting saving as was said in the og. manual, not an intented way to play.

I'm not sure how to interpret the poll though, does Yes mean "yes saving is bad" or "yes use saves"?