Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

JENESIS - done and on /idgames.

Damn you Jimmy, I don't understand how you can make such attractive and well playing maps in such a short time. >:(

New shots look great btw. :)

Thanks Death. :P

DoomHero: As a player who hates slaughtermaps and speedrunning (and as a rather impatient mapper), I tend to shy away from creating massive slaughtermaps, although I did create Highway of Destruction to create a largely linear and tough map. That map is more or less the benchmark for how high the slaughter factor will go. It will certainly go nowhere near Sunder difficulty. :P

(The Carcass Pit will feature a large outdoor area so there'll be plenty of space for a good old-fashioned BFG bloodbath. Nothing utterly impossible, though. ;P)

Up to around MAP11 now - loving it so far!

The one thing I really wanted though, and didn't get, was one of those cheesey sunset-over-the-sea skies (that bands through from orangey/red to purpley/blue) for the coastal road map. Fix that :P

Found the time to beat it at last - very impressive and very enjoyable. When you finish the remaining maps I can see this being truly epic (and actually quite a long playthrough for me too, as this one was around 6 hours or so total).

Thanks, man, glad to hear people are liking it so far. :)

However, in truth, I've been feeling a bit low over the last few days and feel bad for not getting more than two maps done. :( Worse, in a couple days I'll be back at school and have to get cracking on revision for my upcoming 12-hour art exam and Music Tech written paper. D:

I've worked on bits of maps here and there, but two is as many maps for Part 3 (out of 11) that I've currently finished in all aspects (save for difficulty settings).

What I'll do, I think, is focus on getting Part 2 polished and uploaded to /idgames in the coming weeks, and focus some more on Part 3 after my exams. I was sorta hoping to be done by now, but I've just not been feeling creative lately. :(

We'll see how things go.

I don't understand how you a) map so quickly and b) find the time to map so quickly so frequently

I concur with Tango - if anything I'd not be too worried about having a break from mapping as long as you can be happy in knowing you'll get back to it at some point.

Just uploading to /incoming... ;)

For now, get the final release of Part 2 here. :D

Demo-makers, go nuts! :P

I'm back in business. :)

I've finally decided to start work on a new map; this is MAP28: Baphomet's Keep. This will be the last "proper" map - maps 29 and 30 will be... somewhat special. :P

This is already a pretty big map, but I plan on making it even bigger. Hopefully I can get it into a more-or-less complete state by the end of the day. ;)

Also, I merged jenesis2.wad into the project to make things a little less complicated for me. That took a while but at least it's done now. I finally have a properly structured 32-level megawad-in-progress. :D

This makes about the 4th or 5th map in jenesis3.wad which is mostly mapped out but devoid of enemies and proper gameplay. I will finish the others, I promise. :P

I'm liking the shots of map28 so far... though will it have the usual final boss thing? (I won't complain if there won't be an Icon of Sin finale, since the thing's a pushover anyway)

Aw, smeg. Y'know, I think that might have been impossible at some point, but then I un-impossibled it.

Regardless, fixed. :)

(Also I promise I'll get back onto this project once my creativity comes back from its indefinite vacation.)

where did you pull the tan brick tile flat from? i love it. i can only remember seeing it in d2xgold, though i suppose since all the levels were ripped it had to have come from elsewhere.

You mean the one on the ceiling in screenshot #4? That's from Memento Mori 2, I believe.

It's fun, only played MAP01 though, had a few problems going through it, here's some stuff I like/dislike.

*LIKE*
+The look of the map
+The secrets
+Quite a lot of enemies to kill
+Being able to gradually get stronger weapons through progression (not like some others where plasma rifles can be got before a chaingun)
+*Most* of the used monsters
+A lot of health available on the first level

*DISLIKE*
-Limited ammo (I got to the four revenants with 3 shells left and I still had to kill the demons as well. It almost requires you to get the chainsaw to kill the demons in order to conserve ammo)
-Shotgun guys placed annoyingly (by that I mean as soon as you open a door, a shotgun guy will shoot you straight away)
-Floor not raising properly (the floor you're supposed to walk over to get to the other side only raises up halfway)
-Revenants on the first map (When I play HMP difficulty in a wad, I don't expect a revenant to be in the first level, come on. I chose that difficulty for the fact that I'm not a Doom master otherwise I would've picked UV)

Picked this up and started to play through it. I skipped a lot of the maps because I didn't like the looks of the screenshots (I'm not much for terrestrial maps) but starting around the teens, the maps are beautiful and fun to play.

One minor gameplay suggestion: On Map14, in the helipad courtyard, I think that if your first reflex upon seeing a room with a cyberdemon is to take a step back to regroup, it can be easy to end up in a situation where you're boxed into that 64 unit wide hallway with rockets already flying at you by the time the door opens wide enough for you to get out and get some room to maneuver. Especially with no other way to see outside to know where the cyberdemon is, it can become dumb luck whether you manage to get outside without eating a rocket. I would suggest thinking about placing the cyberdemon off to one side, in or near the alcove with the barrels, to ensure that it won't be woken up until the player has already gotten clear of the hallway and the door.

Odd-o-matic: Thanks for the feedback. :) That issue with the platforms should have been resolved. Are you sure you're running the /idgames version of jenesis2.wad? This should hopefully also address any item balance issues. (And if it doesn't, you are well within your rights to hit me in the face with a wet halibut.)

jerrysheppy: Interesting point. I'll see if I can do anything about this. Although, the helipad area's ammo and health supplies and openness were pretty much tailored for a firefight, so I've always gone straight through and fought the cyber out in the open. I'm not a sniper kind of player so I never instinctively hide behind things or get into cover when I'm facing large enemies or massive hordes. Just shoot first and ask questions later. :P I guess that's the play style this megawad will mainly offer.

Fair enough!

For more content, I've played through to the end and I love all the hell episode maps, especially map19 which I thought was intense in the right way (that is, not relying on a monstercount in the several hundreds) and map20 which had a nice new take on the physical construction of an Icon of Sin. Best I've seen since Plutonia 2, IMO.

So far played up to map 4, and I got to say I'm loving it. Jimmy, you don't seem to compromise on anything; visuals, gameplay, and layout are all top notch. You have some wicked monster placement that quite genuinely fun to play against. I'm Looking forward towards finishing the rest of Jenesis and playing some of your future projects!

NOT DEAD.

Here is the new (finally finished) MAP10: Ruins.

It's big. It's non-linear. It's non-orthogonal. It's pretty (though I owe that one to the fantastic custom textures from Scientist 2). I think it's probably my best effort so far. :D

Enjoy!

Jimmy91 said:

It's non-orthogonal.

The screenshots don't have me entirely convinced about that point. :p

I'll grant you the outdoors/cavern part, though.