Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

JENESIS - done and on /idgames.

I see a lot of rectangles and squares for a non-orthological level :P

Looks pretty nice all the same though - looking forwards to the full and final release.

I think the squarish building on the last shot is a little too simple. The rest looks great. :)

Indeed, they're a couple of squares :D
Just kiddin' heh - it starts to look even more impressive than it was when started off.

Thanks guys. :D

Incidentally I'm now working on the new MAP09: Slime Vaults. It's been a long and arduous process spanning months because I've been so dry on inspiration lately.

Screenshots should be up soon.

...At this point the whole "speedmapping" goal of mine for this project has given up and wandered off for a drink down the local pub. xP

Jimmy91 said:

...At this point the whole "speedmapping" goal of mine for this project has given up and wandered off for a drink down the local pub. xP

Same thing happened to me with Reverie. Quite a few maps were speedmapped and I thought I could just carry on like that; I was wrong. I think the last few maps were hardest to make cause I was feeling dry on ideas. Anyway, keep at it and don't give up!

I believe MAP09 is now more or less done. I'm afraid to say, however, that I'm really not happy with these results overall. The fact that I've been working with this map on and off for quite a few months now has really jaded me to it, and furthermore I ran out of steam when working out the layout, so it's terribly linear in some places, but largely non-linear the rest of the time. With a map this big I was expecting to come up with a solution to the layout which was more non-linear overall.

Anyway, here is MAP09: Slime Vaults. This is the map that precedes Ruins (as the final screenshot may indicate).

Next I'm going to work on the new MAP17. For now it's going to be called Deadline, and if the name doesn't imply so, it's going to be an infested, underground tram network. I actually think I'm going to scrap what I have of the map so far (I'm working from an old, yet-unreleased SP map as a basis) and just rebuild it from scratch in as few hours I can manage. That might actually get me back into the groove of speedmapping.

That said, there really isn't an awful lot left to do with the project. Virtually all 32 maps are actually complete. Give me a week at most to release a beta of the full megawad. :D

Damn it! :P Something told me that name would've already been used that way. xP

EDIT: Although your three maps aren't built to resemble an underground tram network, from the looks of them. :P

You are really good at making simple rooms look great, Jimmy. Which is something I'm battling to do. :)

One thing I must add though is that when I played through Jenesis 2 I couldn't help but get a little bored somewhere between Map05 - Map15, but it picked up again from 16 to 20. One of the problems is that you seem to focus a bit too much on SSG gameplay which is not too bad for a few levels but it starts getting a little old after a while... I suggest putting more rocket launcher and plasma gun ammo in your maps to fix this. Otherwise the maps themselves have interesting layouts and have great monster placement. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

Map05 - Map15

That's a long time to spend bored out of your skull. :O (That's two thirds of the Earth episode and half of the entire Part 2 megawad!) Haha.

It's true that I use the supershotgun mainly (and I'm sure many of you do the same). I suppose continued usage of exclusively the SSG is encouraged because of the abundance of shell ammo - I think I place that down in greater quantities than any other ammo type.

As for rockets and cells, yes, I'm a bit conservative with those. I should probably do a complete run-through of the megawad when it's finished, and make notes of when I run completely dry on ammo.

On a related note, something I really need to think about at some point is the gaps between receiving the weapons - in Part 2 (and 3), you first get the SSG in MAP02, and the rocket launcher in MAP03. I think these might be a tad early, and I'm still undecided as to when you will first get the plasma rifle. That's just for the Earth episode (levels 1-20) - the Hell episode (21-30) is pistol-started, so I'll have to figure that one as well.

Lots of balancing work still to do, in other words. :P

If I was entirely bored out of my skull I wouldn't be here complaining. Instead I'd just brush it aside and go play something else. :)

The layouts, monster placement, themes, and great looking old school level design kept me alive. I just felt like I fired the SSG atleast a hundred times too many. The biggest problem with the SSG is (atleast with my experiences) that gameplay with it mostly involves taking pot shots and then hiding behind the corner for the amount of time it takes to reload it.

The nice thing with rocket launchers and plasma guns is that they can speed up the pacing of the gameplay to make it more fast paced and intense, and can also cater for more chaotic gameplay styles ala Map15 of Evilution. :)

That's the only complaint I can think of, and I felt like I had to get it off my chest otherwise I'd go to hell if I let this get released onto idgames, only to see a ton comments bringing up the same complaint.

Success! MAP17: Deadline is taking form after I scrapped its previous incarnation. What you see is about half a day's worth of work, and it's about 80% done. Shouldn't take me too long is to complete the gameplay.

Outdated DB shot: http://i.imgur.com/Of2eQ.png

Jimmy91 said:

What you see is about half a day's worth of work, and it's about 80% done.

Xaser (in another thread) said:

I think Jimmy just may be the next Erik Alm.

I called it.

Damn fine looking stuff, by the way. :D

There's only three left to do. :D MAP16 (which will be called Fortified Zone), MAP22 (Haunted Halls) and MAP30 (no spoilers for that one). :P I might be just a little more than a week as I originally thought, as I've got to get those maps done, and then do a quick final bugcheck for all the new maps before release.

Jimmy91 said:

There's only three left to do. :D MAP16 (which will be called Fortified Zone), MAP22 (Haunted Halls) and MAP30 (no spoilers for that one). :P I might be just a little more than a week as I originally thought, as I've got to get those maps done, and then do a quick final bugcheck for all the new maps before release.

Whee! :3 I'm liking the look of these maps. Keep it coming, ya legend! :-)

Looks nice :)

I think the missing floor tiles in shot 1 would look better if the dirt floor was only lowered 4 units or so rather than 8 (or maybe 3, if it'll fit the lip of the step texture better), though.

Where are the custom textures from?

esselfortium: Okay. :)

Memfis: Correct. :)

Here's something silly. As I was working on this map, I discovered that that wooden hex tile flat plays weird perspective-bending eye tricks. o_O Seriously.

Preliminary screenshot of the final map I have to do, MAP16: Fortified Zone.

I think I'm going to be changing the name of this level to Crestfallen. Mainly because I love the word, but also because it's becoming similar in appearance to the Canyon of the Dead map from NRFTL.

More screenshots later. :P

I can't wait for Jenesis 3 and to be honest I'm keen to make another megawad myself. But the problem is where do I get the ideas from and I'm worried I'll make bad maps if I forced myself back into it!

DeathevokatioN said:

Pcorf instead of making an entire megawad maybe just make a great Doom 2 inspired map... ( and then donate it to "No Hope for Peace" :P )

Haha, we'll see about that.

If I was to make a megawad the maps would be short, quick and hard.

MAP16: Crestfallen is done! It's big, detailed, and fairly non-linear, so I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. And with that, the main mapping for the project is all done!

Check the first post for a complete map list/soundtrack. :D

Cool, I like the wood/marble scene :)

The outdoor parts would probably look better with a real rock texture, but I figure you don't want to start switching out rock textures for custom ones this late in the process.