Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

14 minutes ago, URROVA said:

this is only on ZDoom based ports. On vanilla you have to use D1/DR line actions, or use S1/SR actions with tags.

ahh okay cool, thanks for the info

Fun fact: DR doors can be interrupted by activating them while they move. So you can keep a door oscillating between close and open by pressing use repeatedly. SR doors cannot, once they start moving they ignore all further input until they have finished their move.

On 6/5/2022 at 5:43 PM, Zero Master's Clone said:

that the command "summon fatso" in DOOM 2 on ZDoom ports spawns a mancubus

Fatso is actually the internal name for the Mancubus in the source code, ZDoom just carries it on.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

Fun fact: DR doors can be interrupted by activating them while they move. So you can keep a door oscillating between close and open by pressing use repeatedly. SR doors cannot, once they start moving they ignore all further input until they have finished their move.

This isn't much of a fun fact. That is how doors work and a core part of doom's gameplay. Open, shoot/wake things up, close. Classic tactic.

S(R/1) are meant for remote location activation. There isn't much of a difference between an S1 and D1, except as far as I remember S1 will change the texture if it has a switch textgure while a D1 will not. I think a switch door on map26 in Doom 2 got changed from S1 to D1 or something in a later version of the game.

image.png.21390cc2dff63b9fc5e677e4ac886f0f.png

The control screen in Doom 2 on the GBA has this image, which seems to be of a PC source port rather than the actual GBA port.

The thing I'm curious about is what port could this be? There's an extra menu item that wouldn't be there usually. It feels like it has that ZDoom yellow tint (though it could just as easily be due to the lower color depth on the GBA, and the weird palette they used) but I don't remember ZDoom ever having a really long option in the menu right above the Quit Game option.

1 hour ago, SaladBadger said:

image.png.21390cc2dff63b9fc5e677e4ac886f0f.png

The control screen in Doom 2 on the GBA has this image, which seems to be of a PC source port rather than the actual GBA port.

The thing I'm curious about is what port could this be? There's an extra menu item that wouldn't be there usually. It feels like it has that ZDoom yellow tint (though it could just as easily be due to the lower color depth on the GBA, and the weird palette they used) but I don't remember ZDoom ever having a really long option in the menu right above the Quit Game option.

Not 100% sure about this, but possibly it's ZDaemon
TIhbW4L.png

9 minutes ago, D1m3 said:

Wow, that looks spot on... someone was definitely DMing at work. Also congrats to SaladBadger for being able to see molecules

14 minutes ago, D1m3 said:

TIhbW4L.png

It doesn't look like there's green around DG's face on the GBA one though. Maybe he wasn't playing DM?

23 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

It doesn't look like there's green around DG's face on the GBA one though. Maybe he wasn't playing DM?

Maybe the Colour Palette just didn't get ported 100%

I played Doom most of my life on consoles. The level Spawning Vats is missing or hugely changed on most ports, so I only played it in its original PC form about a year or two ago. I first played Doom in the 90s.

Looking through the text files for earlier versions of John Anderson's Inferno wads is kind of a gold mine. With version 1.0 of Crossing Acheron, he said he only placed it in E1M3 for the music, and then in version 1.666 he said Virgil's Lead will occupy E1M2 between the two maps he'd released at that point. Makes me wonder now if there's a Doom 1 version of it somewhere, but if there is hopes of it being discovered are presumably as thin as they are for the Doom 2 version of Chiron/And Hell Followed and the version of Waters of Lethe seen in that infamous screenshot.

Going back to version 1.0 of Acheron, one example of the kind of feedback he was hoping to receive was "Now I know what John Cormack [sic] MEANT to do in "Unholy Cathedral." [closing quotes for the level name but not the quote itself is also a sic]

There are some things I recently found out in Doom Eternal that I should've known sooner:

• You can quick-swap weapons.
  • Super Shotgun + Ballista is a powerful combination against the Marauder.
  • The Mancubus is best fought from a distance, its close-range attack is deadly. (On Ultra Violence difficulty)
  • The Heavy Cannon's micro missiles might be stronger and faster to use than the chaingun.

Ever noticed this teleporter in E4M8? I sure as hell didn't.

LlSyA3D.png

(That was your Ultimate Doom door fact of the day hueueueue)

Edited by thiccyosh : Door

The German version of Doom II's IWAD, despite being based on version 1.666, uses the same versions of Map25 and Map29 as versions 1.7 onwards. The wiki gives the same date for the former two, but now I'm wondering if that was just a guess.

that the lost soul's current sprite is actually different from it's original version (they updated it between Doom 1 v2 and Doom 2)

that DWANGO founded a Japanese branch, which continued after the end of DWANGO's main branch as a middleware company for some of the early Japanese consoles (e.g. Seganet), and then went on to create NicoNico, purchase Spike Chunsoft, and merge with a massive publishing company. 

incidentally Bob Huntley mentioned that when DWANGO died, he hoped that in the future that the Japanese branch could possibly cause a revival of the service/brand n the US some time in the future - DWANGO coming back didn't happen, obviously, but Spike Chunsoft did open a US publishing and localization subsidiary a few years back, so.... it kinda did?

Origin of the Mancubus battlecry.

Now, for something quite twisted:

Back in 1994, I thought the Mancubus said "ANDY MALLOC",

malloc as in c++'s malloc(size_t size) function.

Going as far as theorizing it was an inside joke: 

someone at ID mocking a fellow developer named Andy for a botched malloc() call or something.

As it used to happen in those pre-internet days, the thing spread quickly at school and became a little urban legend of sorts.

Just a few months later, that summer in tabletop rpg store (sigh) I overheard some total strangers repeating that same thing like it was a well established fact.

@Revenant100

Oh man that brings back so many memories. Way back in the 90's there was a magazine called Flux and it featured some of those images. Did a quick google search for it and found that particular issue.

Spoiler

91gELF2E7bL.jpg

Speaking of 3DO Doom, I have just discovered that there was a cover of Sweet Little Dead Bunny that never made it into the game. While I did play some Episode 1 mapsets with the 3DO soundtrack, I never got to hear said cover, for obvious reasons.

That 3DO cutscene Baron gives me so many uncanny vibes. There was something about gory 90's live action cutscenes that just creeped me out and honestly I'm almost thankful it was scrapped.