Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Thank you for your insight, Jimi. I'll try that tomorrow after I get home from work and see how that looks.

Also, does anybody know of any cornstalk or other farmlike sidedefs that can be used like the BARS sidedefs? I want to make an outdoor area surrounded be fence that has cornfields out in the distance to give this church a rural environment.

TraceOfSpades said:

Also, does anybody know of any cornstalk or other farmlike sidedefs that can be used like the BARS sidedefs? I want to make an outdoor area surrounded be fence that has cornfields out in the distance to give this church a rural environment.

It's been a while since I've played it, but I recall Batman Doom had some cornfield textures in at least one Scarecrow level.

Still working on it and yes this probably will be my favorite map i have made.

Looks great. The sparingly placed colored lights do a perfect job. I think the scene would look dull without them (or even with only 1 color instead of 2) and a little too busy if there were more lights. The rest of the design is impressive.

Yeah, that's looking pretty neat Z0k. There's something about Doom64 maps that look cool to me, until monsters are added that is.

@Jimi: The stock textures look nice in that style.

@Z0k: It's really beautiful! Those floor lamps are a nice touch.

Imo sectors sunken into the floor usually look pretty bad. Feels unnatural and unconvincing (at least without slopes which could make it work maybe). All I see is a horribly misaligned texture, not something half buried in the ground.

Memfis said:

Imo sectors sunken into the floor usually look pretty bad. Feels unnatural and unconvincing (at least without slopes which could make it work maybe). All I see is a horribly misaligned texture, not something half buried in the ground.

I'd be inclined to disagree but I can see your point.

Perhaps this can be alleviated by placing a full-height sector with the same texture somewhere nearby so it's easier for the player to infer that one is sunken into the ground?

If you can't use slopes, you can still mimic them by surrounding the buried object by small sectors that go further down than the surrounding. An "excavation in progress" thing. I think it'd work in that scene because there's a light being shone on the artifact, as if to help people work on it.

If you have the detailing budget for it, you could even make a shovel out of sectors! :p (Probably a bad idea, though.)

I believe to remember that DOOM64 is more limited regarding engine table dimensions, though? Detailing with many small sectors may not be as easy here as with PC DOOM engines.

i didnt give detail to those zones for the reason i want first finish the main layout, and more because the way i worked map03 was doing the map part by part i mean once i did a zone i worked on it until was enough detailed.

the problem comes when the map was really big that when i was about to finish it, got the next error (and map04 probably will be big like map03):

Error - Ploadblockmap: Bad
Blockmap - Index >= Numlines

so the only way to run once again the map was to deleted a lot of the details of the map. and honestly dont want to do that again if that mean cut a lot of detail of the finished map, so i prefer to finish the main layout and the basic idea for the map, and once its finished give the detail :P.

also if you get the idea that its buried then it works for me :D

Design looks more than OK, but I'm not keen on the 32/64 tall tiles everywhere, so much vertical tiling looks too busy to me. I would replace most of them with something else, like some irregular structural texture or a mostly uni-color texture with possibly additional detail sectors on the walls or next to them. Clipping of the hexagonal floor tiles in the middle screenshot also looks a little off, compared to the clean-ness of the rest of areas.

scifista42 said:

Design looks more than OK, but I'm not keen on the 32/64 tall tiles everywhere, so much vertical tiling looks too busy to me. I would replace most of them with something else, like some irregular structural texture or a mostly uni-color texture with possibly additional detail sectors on the walls or next to them. Clipping of the hexagonal floor tiles in the middle screenshot also looks a little off, compared to the clean-ness of the rest of areas.

You're right, thank you for the feedback.

My idea is to add "vertical" details like, for example, the support3 texture or a similar one in order to break the "horizontality".

For sure I will put some kind of border on the floor of picture 2.

That SHAWN* texture literally screams for a replacement. The middle pillars could be higher and it would be nice to see raised sails on them, or there would better be no high pillars. See "Pirate Doom!" maps for inspiration, at least 4-5 maps in that wad depict a large ship. (But okay, okay, I see you're making something akin to a raft more than a ship.)

scifista42 said:

That SHAWN* texture literally screams for a replacement. The middle pillars could be higher and it would be nice to see raised sails on them, or there would better be no high pillars. See "Pirate Doom!" maps for inspiration, at least 4-5 maps in that wad depict a large ship. (But okay, okay, I see you're making something akin to a raft more than a ship.)

It is an attempt to make an ancient kind of ship (like a trireme), anyway I hadn't thought to look at Pirate Doom, I'll take a look at it!

I think i understand why some people do not like Plutonia: forced pickups everywhere.

EDIT: still, after my 6° try (more or less), and even with no more others medikits around the map, this is still irritating.

I was inspired by manor.wad from the master levels:

And now I'm making a map for obsidian:

Recommend me a moody sky.

I love titan manor :)

nice work

gaspe: I think it's missing the sails.

joe-ilya: looks good. Maybe some night sky like in that other pic, maybe something with less stars.

Tested some noise patterns on textures, but maybe I don't do it. It took too much time (a day just for the bricks and hexagons). The grime/highlight blotches that look like they were made in Paint are much faster to do, and don't make the models look out of place. I think I need to simplify the Metal textures.

My current work in progress. I took Jimi's advice and change the floor texture.

I also added some columns, changed the wall texture in the back of the sanctuary, and broke out a window revealing a graveyard.

TraceOfSpades: Definitely looks more interesting now.

DeathMetalAccountant: His nosehairs are out of control!

Made some tekgren, and gray4. Then I tried some "weird" angled level geometry on the part behind the imps, but still keeping all the lines in about multiples of 64. Maybe next textures should be something new.

The rocket explosion and trail are done with model particles, but maybe I change them back to the point particles, so they'd have smoother color fades. The model particles need different textures to change their colors.

DeathMetalAccountant said:

One of these barons is not like the other...

He bristles with anger! :D