Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

FineBros falling flat on their faces on ReactWorld BS

fraggle said:

Response seems over the top to be honest. I've enjoyed the react videos for a while and they seem like decent enough people.

I hope this changes your mind

oh ffs

First Sony tries to trademark "Let's Play" and now this shit?
You can't trademark a word from a dictionary. It's stupid and makes you look like a foolish buffoon who doesn't even have a fucking clue how trademarks works.

fraggle said:

Why would it? Am I missing something here?

There's a lot no one is saying in here to clear this up. Basically, these guys have a history of abusing DMCA takedowns on parodies and "similar shows". Even shows older than theirs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_Brothers#Controversy

The Fine Brothers have been reported to have either closed or attempted to close Youtube channels who do reaction content using DMCA. Two examples are Youtube channels OCUBOX (British Kids React; 2012) and stillcosmo (Seniors React; 2012). Seniors React was being released prior to the premiere of The Fine Brothers' Elders React.

They're also known to be hostile on social media unrelated to Youtube, making passive-aggressive threats against youtubers and tv show personalities via Twitter, that attempted to do "reaction" segments. In their "React World" video, they actively told their viewers to "not stand for" any other channels mimicking their unoriginal format.

Even the Onion took pot shots at these guys:

None of the fluff matters, only this: Finebros abused DMCA takedowns on YouTube on any significant channel that had a "reaction video" with certain keywords, including parodies, even channels that were older, and had the idea first.

The Fine Bros confirmed that their legal team WILL be sending takedown letters, despite earlier claims that they weren’t going to bother. "Our legal team has to protect trademarks and I.P. to keep them valid!" (source here.)

In a nutshell, having a few people watch a video is one of the elements that the Fine Bros is copyrighting. This element combined with the question/answer portion and some other vague general elements means they can take down your videos and threaten you with legal action. They have already done this this month.

Vile.

fraggle said:

Why would it? Am I missing something here?

You don't see the problem with a Kids React video about a school shooting? A video that they collect ad revenue for? This isn't even counting their reaction videos to drunk driving accidents or bullying. Shameless cash grabs in my opinion

Mr. Freeze said:

You don't see the problem with a Kids React video about a school shooting? A video that they collect ad revenue for? This isn't even counting their reaction videos to drunk driving accidents or bullying. Shameless cash grabs in my opinion

They've done a bunch of these about serious subjects and they're always tastefully done - this one included. There's actually a prominent screen at the start of the video that explains this and their explanation for why they made the video - maybe you missed it?

The video doesn't appear to be monetized (I didn't get an advert; I reloaded the page several times in multiple browsers to see if that was the case) so as far as I can tell they aren't making any money out of it. So no, I don't find your concerns justified.

fraggle said:

Response seems over the top to be honest. I've enjoyed the react videos for a while and they seem like decent enough people.

I've been watching their stuff on and off since they were only doing the 'Kids React' videos, and while I never would have called myself a 'fan' of them, they sometimes made some interesting content. I never had anything against them either, and then this flipped my opinion of them in a perfect 180:

https://twitter.com/spudgunjay/status/693584865116168192

Seriously, they attempted to trademark the word 'react'? Seriously? FUCKING SERIOUSLY? No problem, I mean that would only slap approximately 1,000 different YouTubers with patent claims, simply for having the word 'react' anywhere in their channel title or video titles.

Oh, but in their *new* apology linked above, they've announced they're rescinding all of those trademark claims, because suddenly their eyes have been opened and they've now realized that:

The reality that trademarks like these could be used to theoretically give companies (including ours) the power to police and control online video is a valid concern.

Of course, the reality is they already HAVE attempted to do (in some cases successfully) that very thing, and have made it their practice for years now, so they then make a pathetic attempt to further mitigate skepticism with this:

The concerns people have about React World are understandable, and that people see a link between that and our past video takedowns, but those were mistakes from an earlier time.

Oh right, see those 'mistakes' were all in the past, BEFORE this all came to bite us in the ass and we started bleeding subscribers, see we've learned our lesson now guys, we've changed at heart and we're gonna play nice now, we promise, for realsies, seriously... guys...? Guys?

No. Fuck them. Fuck them with a thousand dicks. They deserve everything they're getting right now.

Alpha's response to FineBros' pathetic damage control in text format.

Who is this hobo looking guy and why do I keep seeing links to Youtubes of him ranting about dumb shit

It's usually always the same dumb shit that people rant about on here anyways, so you're not missing much. Personally, I think he looks more like a tall Tolkien dwarf that a hobo, though. Just look at all the game devices he has stashed behind himself, there's got to be quite a good number of refined metals and stones in those cartridges.

Linguica said:

Who is this hobo looking guy and why do I keep seeing links to Youtubes of him ranting about dumb shit

Yeah, the angry men in all the videos posted in this thread seem like much bigger assholes than the Fine brothers do IMO.

They're just new media pundits peddling hatred and their entire schpiel is centered around riling people up and finding someone/something for you to get mad at. They way they just seem to revel in hatred kind of repulses me.

There are very few people who can put out a good rant that isn't just masturbating to the sound of their voice. I pretty much can't stand people that just stew around being unhappy about everything possible in a way that isn't at least funny.

I dunno, I thought Boogie handled his video rather well. I was expecting the Francis character to start shouting and shaking but he was pretty lax, actually.

And due to the internet's short attention span, the unsubscribing is slowing down a bit.

I don't really care about any of this shit but this makes me lol:

This was made a few years before the internets loses it's shit about reactworld announcement.

I'm a bit confused. Were they just assuming they own the right to reaction videos by creating a business plan claiming it's theirs or did they somehow legally try to patent it before/during/after their video announcement?

fraggle said:

Yeah, the angry men in all the videos posted in this thread seem like much bigger assholes than the Fine brothers do IMO.

I used to be one of those guys, nowadays I try and stay within the realm of metal music reviewing because since I actually ENJOY doing videos like that, I don't have feign giving a fuck about any given subject anymore. I will say, that it is pretty decent to have a hobby online that makes just as much money as most jobs do when all you have to do is be curmudgeon asshole about topics that are borderline irrelevant. Having a real job on top of it means two steady incomes, so I can't complain. However I did find a real greivence in what these two dipshits tried to do. They own basically a media empire off the existence of another site, and wanted to essentially do what they could to brickwall people like myself from being able to do anything with our content. I don't like when greed parasites step on pretty much everyone's toes.