Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

5 minutes ago, Juza said:

You can do what you want, but that doesn't mean you'll do something good, or unable to be criticized.

Criticism and feedback is a good way to improve. That's true for most mappers maybe but I only produce outstanding content actually :o

Like this post for example.

Good is subjective and if anyone would like to criticize a choice I've made during mapping there's really only one response for that. I'll save that for the proper time :)

2 hours ago, Fonze said:

Haha I've done this in at least a couple maps so far, having been inspired by yakfak's "painful and stupid" difficulty on spikersilk (iirc?) As welp as the general UV-or-bust mindset ;D

I was thinking an interesting idea to do is that we may have a map with 3 different types of monsters placements and play different throughout 3 different difficulties. Though, the problem would be this also mess up the leaderboard for speedrunning because it's difficult to navigate which is which, but I just keep in mind that this is an interesting choice to do something in the future (of course I have to map at the beginning :P)

2 hours ago, Muscle Witch said:

Controversial opinion: that seems like a jerk thing to do. When I select an easier difficulty setting, I expect the game to get easier and vice versa. Fucking with that just to irritate some guys on the Internet you don’y Like is just petty.

You are funny because you did something petty just to insult me for joking about something.

Whenever the topic of difficulty settings in Doom gets discussed it just makes me feel a greater conviction for this one:

Doom's difficulty system is awful and it would've been better off if they just stuck with the more/less damage/resources type effects and not had changing layouts at all.  Or just not bothered having a difficulty setting at all.  Plenty of games do fine without one and plenty of people seem committed to ignoring them.

3 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Time to make some maps that HNTR is actually harder than UV to fix those "hey, we're not playing on HNTR difficulty or cry baby difficulty". I think it's possible to flag more monsters on HNTR than UV?

That's exactly what the SlaughterMAX project did, though the difficulties were renamed. HNTR became Wild, which is either a more difficult version of the map, that wasn't reasonable to max without ridiculous time investment and some luck (like my own map29), or a bonus meme difficulty with radically different monster placement.

I see nothing wrong with that approach, as long as it's properly communicated to the player via the text file and having the difficulty renamed.

1 minute ago, Spectre01 said:

That's exactly what the SlaughterMAX project did, though the difficulties were renamed. HNTR became Wild, which is either a more difficult version of the map, that wasn't reasonable to max without ridiculous time investment and some luck (like my own map29), or a bonus meme difficulty with radically different monster placement.

I see nothing wrong with that approach, as long as it's properly communicated to the player via the text file and having the difficulty renamed.

Woah is slaughterMAX out? I thought it was like discontinued or something.

5 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Oh, I actually didn't know that. Thanks for the info. The idea I said is aiming at a more different approach to the same map but with a lot (?) of differences instead of strictly focusing on difficulties. Anyway, it's actually nice to know these and I have a few more ways to do strange stuff in the future :P

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:46 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Map 15 is a good example of what's an exception that is based on a mapping error which even made it past playtesting. Map 30 of doom2 is only possible to pacifist under TAS conditions, so it isn't an exception that actually affects "regular play" in the first place.

This is a bit off-topic, but a pacifist IoS kill method was finally found?  I had seen tons of theories as to how it "might" be possible for years, but nothing concrete ever materialized; does this mean a TAS map 30 pacifist finally exists?

12 hours ago, Kizoky said:

90s wads are fun and creative

I agree. I really like a lot of the 90's pwads but a lot of the very early ones tend to be very "switch hunty" and tend to have "mandatory secrets". Of course the good ones from that time period tend to be few and far between, if you know what i mean. Especially the ones that came out before Doom II. But i enjoy playing the very early ones that are now considered "historic" :)

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Here's something just about anybody but you eventually understood: The difficulty settings in modern maps aren't on the same page as difficulty settings in old maps or IWADs. Many modern maps, when played on HNTR are about as difficult as doom2 on HMP or even UV.

I kind of just skimmed through this convo so if i missed something i apologize but i totally agree with what you said. A little story: When i started playing Eviternity i started on UV because i thought i was "hot shit" and that i had to play it on UV as most people streaming it on Twitch were doing just that. Of course they were way better players than me so when i started on UV i got my ass handed to me. So i lowered the difficulty down to HMP. It was more tolerable for me but i was still saving to much so i went down to HNTR and that felt more around my comfort zone. Eviternity isn't even considered that hard of a wad but the truth is that i don't play many newer wads.

I guess what i'm getting at is that newer wads are definitely much harder than older ones (imo) and the difficulty settings aren't really the same anymore. So it's not a "wussy" thing to play on a lower one if you need to.

4 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

So it's not a "wussy" thing to play on a lower one if you need to.

This is totally right. Nobody should judge you if you found HNTR is your comfort area, and most importantly, having fun with it. Eviternity on HNTR may be around the same difficulty of Doom 2 UV. The average difficulty for newer WADs is definitely higher than old ones. It does take some time to practice in order to catch up with the "new UV standards", compared to the old WADs.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

yes

Any tips on where to go to find/watch it now that DoomedSDA no longer exists?

TNT always lives in Plutonia's shadow, and that's something that I'd like to see change for the next 10 years. Like I can't believe how many people just refuse to play it and some opinions I read on this subject just prove that you should try things before you start disliking them.

I really do like Plutonia don't get me wrong, but I like TNT more and the differences are different opinions between the two. Maybe TNT could have been done different and in another reality it maybe the case, but I think everyone should play though TNT completely before disliking TNT.

EDIT: Oh and don't get me started on the auto pickup, that is some... sigh.

Edited by Bob9001

@Bob9001 I agree that TNT gets more hate than it deserves. Plutonia is clearly the most polished of the IWADs but TNT is close enough to Doom 2 in quality. Compared to D2, TNT's highs are higher and lows are lower.

2 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

@Bob9001 I agree that TNT gets more hate than it deserves. Plutonia is clearly the most polished of the IWADs but TNT is close enough to Doom 2 in quality. Compared to D2, TNT's highs are higher and lows are lower.

Nah, nothing beats TNT's lowest shit, Habitat.

Doomguy kinda looks like Hicks ? When the aspect ratio is right... and you're squinting your eyes.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Nah, nothing beats TNT's lowest shit, Habitat.

Yeah, like I said, the lows are lower. ;)

On 1/25/2020 at 1:22 AM, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Kind of feel like that's selling Doom 3 real short, considering what a technical marvel that game was on release. Maybe not the best FPS ever, but one cannot sneeze at how damn revolutionary that game was in the visual/ aesthetic department, next to literally anything else at the time. Definitely not an "easy money" bid, that one. (And this is coming from someone for whom Doom 3 missed the mark in a lot of ways, mind).  

It seems awkward to include Doom 3 in this discussion, because at that point id got off their (figuratively) lazy asses and make a completely new engine, new game etc. Other than the name "Doom", there was literally nothing else connecting it directly to the old Doom games. We could argue how from that point onwards it took them 10+ years to make another Doom game, but that's a story for another time :)

However before that they literally just expanded Doom I with a new weapon and new monsters to give Doom II, added an extra episode to Doom I to make Ultimate Doom, and the less said about Final Doom, the better :). Now that's kinda lazy. :)

There never was a majorly expanded/updated official Doom featuring an enhanced version of the original "id Tech 1" Doom engine, a-la Boom or ZDoom for example. You could argue that Heretic/Hexen (kinda) did just that, but id, for good or bad, had moved on to the Quake and Quake II engines by then, and the competition just had to make do with licensing previous-generation engines, even the Wolfenstein engine.

Moving forward and looking at the various ports and re-releases for Doom/Doom2/Final Doom for consoles and other modern platforms over the years, the approach was similarly lazy: they just included a token implementation of the Doom engine and the same exact old levels and resources (well, if we exclude stuff like the medikits' crosses being removed). A common complaint and discussion here at DW has always been just that: how id missed the opportunity several times to release an official enhanced source port + new levels to go with it, but as anyone familiar with the vagaries of the video game business will tell you, trying to beat free source ports, their established standards and a super-spoiled (in terms of features + mapping quality) and creative community at their own game would be pointless.

Now, imagine if something like John Romero's Sigil was released, say, in 1997, a year before Boom came out, with a Hexen-like engine and features, and still be "Doom". Now, that would be an awesome major update to the franchise, and the source port community would have evolved differently. Then again, in such a scenario, the source code might not have been opened as early as it did, so there's that.

Here's a controversial one for you: TNT Evilution is a stupid name and it makes people think less of this WAD or even not play it at all.

3 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Yeah, like I said, the lows are lower. ;)

How about Mount Pain?

"It was a pain in my assholes - Borat"

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

Another one:

Habitat is one of the best maps in TNT.

Unironically?

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

Another one:

Habitat is one of the best maps in TNT.

yeah before I knew what the general consensus about that map was, I actually enjoyed it. IDK I just liked the weirdness of it that you don't see in wads these days.