Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

On 3/24/2023 at 1:34 AM, DrWho42 said:

cool world (1992)

I believe Brian Eno did some music for that. The song is called Under. Was the movie any good? I'd be willing to check it out for one of my favorite musicians being in it.

54 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I believe Brian Eno did some music for that. The song is called Under. Was the movie any good? I'd be willing to check it out for one of my favorite musicians being in it.

I hear it is a bad Who Framed Roger Rabbit clone, unfortunately.

I went to see the new Scream yesterday. It seems to have scored fairly well but I don't really understand why. I thought it was nothing special. 

An Irish vampire movie called Let the Wrong One In. The bits of comedy work much better than I'd think and it's a good story!

On 4/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, Sonikkumania said:

I went to see the new Scream yesterday. It seems to have scored fairly well but I don't really understand why. I thought it was nothing special. 

There's a new Scream movie? I mean - I personally don't follow new movie releases, however - with most current movies - I've heard at least one or two things about them, but I've literally heard nothing about a new Scream movie.

Not movies, but I recently got done watching The Orville, which was surprisingly good! I never cared for or about Family Guy and Seth MacFarlane's other works, but as far as Star Trek-inspired media go, that one was quite enjoyable and also unexpectedly moving at times!

It also made me feel like giving Babylon 5 another shot: the special effects, while not as bad as I remember them, are still incredibly dated, but once I started approaching the series like FMV cutscenes from an early 90s video game, I found myself actually enjoying the show.

Who knows, after that, I might be willing to give Star Trek: Deep Space Nine another chance as well...

On 2/26/2023 at 7:45 PM, SealSpace said:

the first Terminator felt like it skewed far closer to a genuine pure horror slasher movie with sci-fi elements than a generic over-the-top action or sci-fi film that are defined by its sequels.

I can't agree more.

I liked Terminator 2 as well though, it was maybe the best when it comes to the sequels. (That is my opinion at least...)

Watched The Conjuring 1.

Nice movie with nice plot if you are into horror. The fact that is based around the case of the Warren couple is good enough for me.

Torso (1973)

From what I know, this is one of the earliest slasher films, and directed by Sergio Martino. I've seen most of his giallo movies at this point. This one does blur the line though, like A Bay of Blood there's an intentional lack of plot or structure. It's kind of there but it's bare bones. Whilst it has a lot of boobs and sleaze, it was less uncomfortable to watch than the last movie I watched by this director (Your Vice is a Locked Room and only I have the Key). I appreciate the fact there's no major emphasis on jump scares, that's something that came later really. Torso is famed for two scenes, the first taking place in an extremely creepy and atmospheric forest, and damn, I have to say it was fantastic. The killer's silhouette in the mist ahead is one of the creepiest most well done shots I've ever seen. The other is the villa scene where the final girl is trying to hide her presence after waking up from a drug assisted sleep owing to her twisting her ankle previously, to find her three friends butchered, and the killer is using a hacksaw to dispose of their bodies. 

I can appreciate those scenes, that said I didn't love the movie, I like structured thrillers more so I much prefer the movies Dario Argento was making around this time. I also definitely like All the Colours of the Dark the most by some way of Martino's movies. 

Theatrical_poster_for_Dungeons_and_Drago

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

It's a good movie if you are familiar with D&D from the 90's. Characters and plot are consistent. Visual design is good enough to communicate what's going to the viewer, but it's nothing grand or amazing like Lord of The Rings.

There's a lot of name dropping. Stuff like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. But then there's also plenty of stuff that isn't called out and you just have to have a sharp eye to notice, like how come the sorcerer is able to carry so much bulky and heavy stuff on himself? The film was clearly made by people who are huge fans of D&D; quite an accomplishment consdiering how many other IPs adapations have gone wrong.

I really appreciate how the film handles its humor. The humor works fine on general audiences who have never played D&D, but it's great for people who have played the game with friends around a table. There are certain moments in the film where the situations are stretched to the point where you sense the movie as a game between the dungeon master, player characters, and NPCs, but then the film will pull back just in time and avoid going full meta or breaking fourth wall. The film works according to the internal logic of the D&D setting, but also according to the silliness of friends playing a game together.

Minor spoiler:

Spoiler

The paladin is my favorite character: He is not only a real character in his own right, but he also does double duty acting as the "dungeon master" who is frustrated with hand holding his players through the plot.

Edited by RDETalus

I just watched the new Super Mario Movie. It's good, not great. Nintendo/Mario fans and kids will enjoy it. They didn't need to use any non-Mario/Nintendo music though. That kind of took me out of the movie.

On 3/28/2023 at 4:31 AM, DrWho42 said:

skinamarink (2022)

What’d you think of it? I personally loved it, but I could see why a lot of people didn’t.

On 4/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, DeathWalkerGT said:

I can't agree more.

I liked Terminator 2 as well though, it was maybe the best when it comes to the sequels. (That is my opinion at least...)

If I had to throw in an extremely hot and unpopular take, I would daresay that Genisys was actually better than Rise of the Machines, Salvation, and Dark Fate (and even Sarah Connor Chronicles) combined. But yes, Terminator 2: Judgment Day still remains the best and most memorable sequel indeed and will remain so indefinitely and in all likelihood, for at least one eternity. 

However, as much as I unironically like Genisys than all the other post-T2 installments in the series, I still consider the Battle Across Time 3D ride at Universal Studios to be the only legit, true, and pure unadulterated third movie above all else in the entire franchise. And that's all there is to it.

In my personal point of view, outside of an actual properly executed grand finale to the entire series or at the very least, a straight-up remake of the 1984 original film with all the grisly horror elements that emanated from it and maybe Judgment Day itself, I don't think an official new Terminator film should ever exist again for it couldn't be more of a dead, redundant, and moribund franchise at this point. 

Edited by SealSpace

Smile.

It wasn't that bad, but the MC was a little tone-deaf and bad at reading the room, to say the least.

I've started watching the second half of the Harry Potter series. Last couple movies are long!

Entertaining enough. Seems to be darker than the first movies although still holds the 3 friendly British kids friendship is everything vibe.

A thing about this series, they keep it fresh by constantly adding new spells and lore they use in new situations, backed by previous recognisable ones. But also feels a little lazy. Have a new problem? I got a spell for that! Pretty much leaving me thinking "I didn't know they could do that". It's visually creative to watch though. Half way through the last movie.

Made it to Season 4 of Babylon 5. Really solid show so far, much better than Deep Space Nine all around.

On 4/7/2023 at 8:42 PM, Lizardcommando said:

I just watched the new Super Mario Movie. It's good, not great. Nintendo/Mario fans and kids will enjoy it. They didn't need to use any non-Mario/Nintendo music though. That kind of took me out of the movie.

Watched it with my son and I second this pretty much exactly. Nothing amazing, but consistently fun.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:42 AM, Lizardcommando said:

Yeah watched it with the kids (tried to talk them into honor among thieves instead but nah) and that's exactly how I felt. The visuals are lovely, I did enjoy spotting all the references and Jack Black was pretty awesome but it's definitely a kids film first and I guess that's as it should be. Still I genuinely enjoyed the Lego movies and was hoping for a little more from this.

It was the music that got me the most too, I mean there is some Nintendo music in there but with so many really well known tunes from the games there was no need for Thunderstruck playing over the Mario Kart scene.